THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Jackson return...

SdBacker80

I don’t think 2½ years at Cleveland should tarnish my whole career but at the same time people have to know that you are out there and are willing and able to work.”

the first part of this really upsets me and I guess I’m trying to figure out why.  A small part of me felt A tad sorry for this guy...mainly because he had Kessler as his QB although he said “trust me on this one” and Kizer a guy not talented enough and definitely not ready at the time and then hearing of Hue’s struggles after he was fired Just generally being down and out.  

I think Hard Knocks opened my eyes at just how bad he was and how much the players just weren’t in sync with this guy and coaches didn’t want to fall in line. 

But For crying out loud be accountable!!! No one is forgetting your last HC stint anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t think 2½ years at Cleveland should tarnish my whole career but at the same time people have to know that you are out there and are willing and able to work.”

the first part of this really upsets me and I guess I’m trying to figure out why.  A small part of me felt A tad sorry for this guy...mainly because he had Kessler as his QB although he said “trust me on this one” and Kizer a guy not talented enough and definitely not ready at the time and then hearing of Hue’s struggles after he was fired Just generally being down and out.  

I think Hard Knocks opened my eyes at just how bad he was and how much the players just weren’t in sync with this guy and coaches didn’t want to fall in line. 

But For crying out loud be accountable!!! No one is forgetting your last HC stint anytime soon. 

Hey, he did get to coach the NFLPA Bowl. Will work for food? Hue, you have the second worst HC record in the history of the NFL- you're never going to get a HC job in the NFL again. I haven't forgotten Hue made the talk show rounds for a pity party after he got canned....  

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Hey, he did get to coach the NFLPA Bowl. Will work for food? Hue, you have the second worst HC record in the history of the NFL- you're never going to get a HC job in the NFL again. I haven't forgotten Hue made the talk show rounds for a pity party after he got canned....  

He sorta has a job in the NFL...or at least, around the NFL.   He is Mike Silver's fluffer.......hopefully it pays him something (though I suspect that they fluff each other for the joy it brings them both)

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

What article are you citing? There was an article a few months ago, a longish SI article l think, that really portrayed him as a tragic figure. The writer kinda went out of his way to tug at the heartstrings for poor Hue. 

Sashi Brown and the rest of the front office were doing everything they could to take the team. Accumulating cap space draft picks etc etc. Whether or not I love coach Jackson, Paul Brown couldn't have won with that team. The guy has to feel like a boxer who has been informed by the mob that he has to take a dive.

WSS

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Sashi Brown and the rest of the front office were doing everything they could to take the team. Accumulating cap space draft picks etc etc. Whether or not I love coach Jackson, Paul Brown couldn't have won with that team. The guy has to feel like a boxer who has been informed by the mob that he has to take a dive.

WSS

Absolutely. 

Hue was completely miscast as a head coach of a team made up of rookies and second year players. Horrible match. Is he a good head coach? No... but that team was made to lose. 

And as much of a shit he was, going behind people's back, kissing Jimmy's ass, being the "source" of so many articles, the one time he stood up for anyone is when he took the bullet for the drafting of Kessler. That pick SCREAMED analytical-driven pick. 

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

I disagree. A good head coach gets wins. Look what Flores in Miami did this year. That team traded away EVERYBODY that was decent at football and they still won 5 games. Hue needs to accept responsibility. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

I think it was a combination.  Did he have crap for talent on his team?  Yes.   But I don't think he had the worst talent on a team over a 2 year period than anyone in NFL history.   I think he took bad talent and made it worse.

As Bill Parcells, you are what your record says you are. 

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think it was a combination.  Did he have crap for talent on his team?  Yes.   But I don't think he had the worst talent on a team over a 2 year period than anyone in NFL history.   I think he took bad talent and made it worse.

As Bill Parcells, you are what your record says you are. 

Here is what negates it all. Game day coaching! End of story! I do not feel sorry for a guy who should have millions socked away for the poorest game day coaching I have seen on any level except maybe middle school football.

My fav bit from the article... https://www.brownsnation.com/hue-jackson-cleveland-browns/

His other head coaching job outside of Cleveland was with the Oakland Raiders in 2011.

His Raiders started 7-4 but ultimately missed the playoffs finishing 8-8 on the season.

That brings is head coaching record to a pedestrian 11-44-1. How bad is that?

Well, that’s the second-worst head coaching record by win-loss percentage of all-time per Pro Football Reference.

5 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

I disagree. A good head coach gets wins. Look what Flores in Miami did this year. That team traded away EVERYBODY that was decent at football and they still won 5 games. Hue needs to accept responsibility. 

Agree. It wasn't as if we were blown out every week for two and a half years. It wasn't as if there was never anything to criticize about Hue's playcalling, clock management or, as Hard Knocks showed us, his "leadership" style. This forum was full of his identified shortcomings week after week.

Through Hue's tenure Deshone Kizer, Cody Kessler, Robert Griffin III, Josh McCown, Kevin Hogan, Tyrod Taylor and Baker Mayfield were his starters. Thinking back... how different were our "attacks" under each of these QBs? While most of their skill levels may have been wanting, their skill sets were varied. A good HC, OC, QB "whisperer" would recognize that.

Our talent was not very good... certainly not good enough to overcome bad coaching from a man driven by self doubt.

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And as much of a shit he was, going behind people's back, kissing Jimmy's ass, being the "source" of so many articles, the one time he stood up for anyone is when he took the bullet for the drafting of Kessler. That pick SCREAMED analytical-driven pick. 

A war room shot caught Hue doing a mini fist-pump when Kess' name was called. I doubt he was celebrating analytics. Yes, analytics were there, too, just as they were every pick of that era along with scouting.

Hue's "trust me" comment was made prior to the season and repeated on Sept. 20, 2016 prior to Kess' first start . So according to you he preemptively "took a bullet?"

15 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

He was exposed as being a phony, a liar and a weakling.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Hue's "trust me" comment was made prior to the season and repeated on Sept. 20, 2016 prior to Kess' first start . So according to you he preemptively "took a bullet?"

I'm saying he was actually being a team guy and presenting a unified front. It might have been the only time. 

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm saying he was actually being a team guy and presenting a unified front. It might have been the only time.

Fair enough... especially since it was in public.

Also might have been the only pick he fully embraced.

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Fair enough... also might have been the only pick he fully embraced.

I don't know.... it seemed like Hue couldn't wait to get him off the field, and Kessler didn't play that poorly. If I remember correctly Hue seemed perpetually irritated with Kessler because he would never throw the ball downfield. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If I remember correctly Hue seemed perpetually irritated with Kessler because he would never throw the ball downfield. 

And you remember right... but I also remember the lil fist pump when the pick was made. Hue liked the kid, but he was never going to be a fit for the vertical game Hue loved.

And that goes to the point I made about Hue not tweaking his Offense to fit any of the QBs that played for him in CLE.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

When you have THE worst record as a HC in NFL for anyone who did not own the team you tarnish your own career by being such a terrible coach.  Had nothing to do with Cleveland.

Exactly. The guy was horrible 

16 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Exactly. The guy was horrible 

His niche was as an OC on OK teams at best.   (where is he now?)

Year Age Level Employer Role
2007 42 NFL Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator
2008 43 NFL Baltimore Ravens Quarterbacks
2009 44 NFL Baltimore Ravens Quarterbacks
2010 45 NFL Oakland Raiders Offensive Coordinator
2011 46 NFL Oakland Raiders Head Coach
2012 47 NFL Cincinnati Bengals Secondary
2013 48 NFL Cincinnati Bengals Running Backs
2014 49 NFL Cincinnati Bengals Offensive Coordinator
2015 50 NFL Cincinnati Bengals Offensive Coordinator
2016 51 NFL Cleveland Browns Head Coach....the AWFUL years !
2017 52 NFL Cleveland Browns Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator
2018 53 NFL Cleveland Browns Head Coach..... finally ADIOS !

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now let's give him a little credit. He did tweak JFF right off the team without so much as a looksie.

It didn’t take a brain surgeon to pull off that move. Johnny ran himself off the team 

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now let's give him a little credit. He did tweak JFF right off the team without so much as a looksie.

Why? He did not have control of the 53-man roster.