THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns To Announce Berry as GM

darren15

8 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

I actually think the announcement might be an NFL thing. They probably want anything football related to not be done the week of the Super Bowl to prevent it from drawing away any attention. It's as stupid as the coaches from SB teams can not be named head coach thing. 

Curious, what happens if the "brain trust" works this time? It is a completely different set of circumstances than what it was during the Sashi era.  What will it take people to convince them that this is a success? Division winner? playoffs? SB? SB win? I'm just curious because I think this is going to be the most successful regime the Browns have had in 20 years but I'm in the minority on this board. People are going to lose their heads if they trade down in the first round of the draft even IF it is the correct football move. 

🌞

I don't get the hostility about Berry - Berry wanted the head coach they just hired now. Dorsey was too arrogant for me - Berry seems like a great guy for the head coach etc to work with. No stuffed shirt there.

We'll see. For the first time - it definitely seems like they are on the right track.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I don't get the hostility about Berry - Berry wanted the head coach they just hired now. Dorsey was too arrogant for me - Berry seems like a great guy for the head coach etc to work with. No stuffed shirt there.

We'll see. For the first time - it definitely seems like they are on the right track.

We're all a little jaded, rightfully so. 

Nothing against Berry or Stefanski from me. It's just the continuous "lather, rinse, repeat"  Haslam cycle that doesn't excite me or all of us. 

6 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

We're all a little jaded, rightfully so. 

Nothing against Berry or Stefanski from me. It's just the continuous "lather, rinse, repeat"  Haslam cycle that doesn't excite me or all of us. 

I think the 2019 Great Expectations has made that even seem worse than usual.  And still three months until the next Draft Day to see how that turns out.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, hoorta said:

Until proven otherwise Tour, the Browns organization is FUBAR. You're the management guru. Don't know who previously pointed it out, but looks like Jimmy has too many people reporting directly to him equal in the power structure. If they start infighting it's curtains. I'll give Berry a temporary pass just because he was here during the Sashi debacle.

It's not the number of reports that is a concern... it's the talent level of the person to whom they are all reporting. And based upon the incident rates of infighting in the past there is reason for concern.

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm thrilled by this hire.

The Process fans have no "dumb football guys" to blame when this goes down in flames. No Hue backstabbing Sashi, no Dorsey ignoring DePodesta… 

They have gotten all their boys in all the top positions. It's on. 

The Process was the "Consensus decision making process". Until we know what the new decision process is nothing is "on".

As for "dumb football guys"... I'm sure there are still enough in the Scouting Departments, both College and Pro, to keep you happy.

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Berry is an awful judge of talent... we basically gave up prime rib in Dorsey.. For skirt steak in Berry.. And this is better how?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

Berry is an awful judge of talent... we basically gave up prime rib in Dorsey.. For skirt steak in Berry.. And this is better how?

Dorsey made major mistakes by allowing the OL to be worse while converting a position coach into a HC with no transition time. Recipe for disaster.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Dorsey made major mistakes by allowing the OL to be worse while converting a position coach into a HC with no transition time. Recipe for disaster.

Thats not enough to fire him...

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’ll be surprised if we make 5 or more selections come draft day.

late arriving GM.  Expect either a massive trade up for a guy they really covet and is a no brainer  or picks moved for players and or future draft capital. 

Don't worry.. we'll draft those incredible SPARQ picks like Cory Coleman again..

On 1/28/2020 at 10:26 AM, Gorka said:

A name being mentioned a lot around here.

He must have been quite an influential dude.

He got the boot from the board shortly I joined. He was the residential board troll. But from what I gathered...

- He would have praised our OL this season. He literally thought they ALL offensive line men were useless fat slobs you could get off the street or the 6th round and plug and play. He once called Joe Thomas a JAG (I shit you not)

-He was a terrible evaluator of QBs. He thought Paxton Lynch was the next coming of John Elway or Jim Kelly

-Continuing with that last statement he simple thought black males were incapable of playing QB at the professional level. He would make racist and semi-racist comments about them all the time. I guarantee you he would call Patrick Malhomes  "Black Tarkenton" because he assumed all Black Quarterbacks could do was run. I wonder if he will slit his throat after Lamar wins the MVP this year.

-Anyone in the Front Office or coaching staff was a coffee fetcher, regardless of experience of pedigree.

-Called Myles Garrett a Zumba instructor because he thought he was a pussy. The same guy that nearly bashed a racist fratboy head in.

-Was extremely negative more then others (don't blame him) and it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

With that said he was funny sometimes... like in a drunk uncle on Christmas sort of way.There's a ton more but I gotta grab some lunch.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Thats not enough to fire him...

Actually it was. Technically,  Dorsey  wasn't  fired. He was going to be  demoted,  and quit instead. John hung Freddie  out to dry, and didn't  help  him any when it was obvious  he was in  over his head.  It could have  turned out  differently  if Kitchens had been relieved of  his play  calling,  and let Monken have responsibility for that, he was a former  OC after all. 

Add in some 20/20 hindsight  draft (Corbett, Callaway) and trade (Vernon) snafus,  MHO is a demotion  was  in order. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Actually it was. Technically,  Dorsey  wasn't  fired. He was going to be  demoted,  and quit instead. John hung Freddie  out to dry, and didn't  help  him any when it was obvious  he was in  over his head.  It could have  turned out  differently  if Kitchens had been relieved of  his play  calling,  and let Monken have responsibility for that, he was a former  OC after all. 

Add in some 20/20 hindsight  draft (Corbett, Callaway) and trade (Vernon) snafus,  MHO is a demotion  was  in order. 

Doesn't matter... jimmy still owns this shit team.. Thats all you need to know.... I see no improvements ahead...

Was mucking around on Cleveland.com and found this article from Dan Labbe- it's three years old (2017) but an interesting read on Mr. Berry. Nice background info.  If he fails, it's not going to be because he's dumb.  :)   

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2017/07/andrew_berry_cleveland_browns.html

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

My problem with this situation is this

Depo and Berry were here helping to pick players on a team that went 1-31

To quote Dr King..."I have a dream.."....That dream is that folks on this board STOP constantly dwelling on past failures & look forward with hope to our future. We are (allegedly) Browns FANS....I can't speak for anyone else, but I plan to continue to support the Browns as if a marriage..."From this day forward, for better or for worse, etc" & I look at tomorrow & every day as THIS DAY. You'll never reach your destination looking only in the rear view mirror.

Sorry for the rant, but 1-31 is DEAD & GONE!

Mike

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure what you are basing this upon...

Which pick or picks were his?

You're going to ride that pony into the sunset for the rest of your life, aren't you?

Sashi was to blame for nothing... Berry was to blame for nothing... DePodesta was to blame for nothing... 

But when something actually went right in those two years, Tour can hand out platitudes to Sashi like a Kentucky outgoing governor handing out pardons... 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You're going to ride that pony into the sunset for the rest of your life, aren't you?

Sashi was to blame for nothing... Berry was to blame for nothing... DePodesta was to blame for nothing... 

But when something actually went right in those two years, Tour can hand out platitudes to Sashi like a Kentucky outgoing governor handing out pardons... 

I'm somewhere in the middle on this Dutch. There's plenty of blame to spread around for 1-31, but mighty hard to pin it on just one or a group of individuals. The super top secret nuke of the roster. Well Sashi is no longer around to put the blame on this time. We do have one given the the Hubatross sure was a contributing factor. 

Beyond that Depodesta and Haslam are the only constants. For sure, should the Browns continue to suck Depodesta is gonzo. I'm willing to at least give Berry a chance until proven otherwise. I doubt if he had a major hand in the previous train wreck Haslam would have rehired him. 

I'll agree with Canton Mike that there's no sense rehashing past failures, or saying this is going to be a big FAIL before we've ever played a game this year. Yeah- I know the boo-birds already have the guns locked and loaded to take pot shots at Stefansky the first time things don't go well.