THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Combine Invites

gumby73

The 337 player invites are in. https://nfl.com/combine/participants  These are NFL.com's Overall Prospect position Scores. And they also come with far to early other NFL Player Comparisons..

But, Let's not poke anyone's eyes out believing that hype 👀...

1) Surprise imo is Tua is taking a spot? maybe just getting the medicals?

2) Would not surprise me at all if Claypool also works-out with TE's increasing his draft stock value. aka, "betting on yourself"

3) Is Isaiah Simmons just working out with the LB's?.. or does he see DB Monday also?

I've already had some fun poking around all afternoon with it...Take the wheel & Enjoy ! (or find some real head scratching annalist)    

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

The 337 player invites are in. https://nfl.com/combine/participants  These are NFL.com's Overall Prospect position Scores. And they also come with far to early other NFL Player Comparisons..

But, Let's not poke anyone's eyes out believing that hype 👀...

2) Would not surprise me at all if Claypool also works-out with TE's increasing his draft stock value. aka, "betting on yourself"

3) Is Isaiah Simmons just working out with the LB's?.. or does he see DB Monday also?

I've already had some fun poking around all afternoon with it...Take the wheel & Enjoy ! (or find some real head scratching annalist)    

I'll  keep an eye on Adam Trautman TE, who  got an invite  from our D III Dayton. Supposedly  did well  enough at the Senior Bowl to merit  an invite. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'll  keep an eye on Adam Trautman TE, who  got an invite  from our D III Dayton. Supposedly  did well  enough at the Senior Bowl to merit  an invite. 

Trautman did do well at the SB..He certainly caught my eyes as a former TE. I really like a lot of his game tape, mainly cause the kid ain't afraid to catch the ball in traffic & tucks it away well.. he's a 'want to' blocker but needs some frame & tech work..Adam's gauntlet run should be good showing off some good hands 👀

For several years, I have followed a Charlotte,NC kid that got away from NC State & headed to LSU.. Thaddeus Moss, Randy's son.. If were looking a H-back and a TE that has blocking skills? Thad's a guy that can make some folks here forget the name Darren Fells..Thad did miss some time with a bad foot, so he might slide pending medical?

Would also like to see these 2 names maybe fall to rounds 5 or 6 🤞

11 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Trautman did do well at the SB..He certainly caught my eyes as a former TE. I really like a lot of his game tape, mainly cause the kid ain't afraid to catch the ball in traffic & tucks it away well.. he's a 'want to' blocker but needs some frame & tech work..Adam's gauntlet run should be good showing off some good hands 👀

For several years, I have followed a Charlotte,NC kid that got away from NC State & headed to LSU.. Thaddeus Moss, Randy's son.. If were looking a H-back and a TE that has blocking skills? Thad's a guy that can make some folks here forget the name Darren Fells..Thad did miss some time with a bad foot, so he might slide pending medical?

Would also like to see these 2 names maybe fall to rounds 5 or 6 🤞

I like Moss a lot. Good bloodlines/training there.

EDIT: Most Mocks have him going 2nd or 3rd Rd.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

AH HA ! I have Trautman taken by our Browns in the 4th round. That is higher than most, but the steelers are said to be very keen on him, some mocks have the steeles taking him in the sixth round. NOTE: the steelers do NOT have a pick in the first or third rounds. and TE isn't that high on their needs... unless they go for Trautman instead of a tall WR. Trautman is very athletic.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:22 PM, gumby73 said:

1. Tua will be interviewing as well.
  3. Would you rather shine in the LB group or be so-so in the DB group?

Guys I want to see include:

• LBs - Troy Dye (Oregon); Willie Gay, Jr. (Miss St.)
  • Edge - Epenesa (Iowa)
  • DL - Blacklock (TCU), Benito Jones (Ole Miss), Lawrence (LSU), Murchison (NC St.), Strowbridge (UNC)
  • OT - Bartch (St. Johns MN), Becton (UL), Peart (UConn)
  • OG - Jonah Jackson (tOSU), Lemieux (Oregon), Muti (Fresno St.)

And the NFL winter calendar.....

Feb. 24-March 2

NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.

Feb. 25

First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

MARCH

March 10

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 16-18

Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2019 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 18. (a/k/a Legal Tamper Period)

On 2/9/2020 at 2:37 AM, hoorta said:

Who was that TE from Ashland that got drafted high by Chicago recently? 

He's been pretty quiet so far. 

March 10

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

This is always an interesting topic in the NFL, who gets tagged?

On 2/14/2020 at 11:40 AM, Tour2ma said:

Guys I want to see include:l

• OG - Jonah Jackson (tOSU), Lemieux (Oregon), Muti (Fresno St.)

Am thinking the best RG candidate might be a guy playing Center at LSU. Cruisenberry? Watch his senior bowl tape against Kinlaw and get back with us. He took off up to 2nd Rd. Grade but could fall to 3rd after combine?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Am thinking the best RG candidate might be a guy playing Center at LSU. Cruisenberry?

I've been tabbing him in the 2nd in draft sims lately. RG for a couple seasons then can move to Center.

• Upvote 1

I want to see K'Lavon Chaisson OLB/Edge from LSU. Movin' the Chains guys from NFL Radio keep talking about his tremendous athleticism and huge upside for this RS So. They are saying he is up there with OSU Young and really can get around on blitzes and stunts to pressure the QB. I want to see how well he does in the various drills and the 40. A guy like that on the other side from Garrett would be somethin'. The second coming of Von Miller? Similar size out of college. Like to see if he has close to the speed talk about. A big plus is that the #18 at LSU is reserved for the best overall team leader on and off the field. That says something for a RS Soph. God knows the Browns can use another of those, especially one coming from a big winner who's D was just as responsible for it as their O.

I also want to see his teammate at Safety Grant Delpit. He would be great to pick up second round if he is still there for us. He had a better 2018 season than last year, but like Garrett he played all season through a high high ankle sprain his last season there. He's a hitter! Lot's of potential in this Jr. IMO.

For maybe 3rd round if either is still there I would like to see the 3Tech DTs Raekwan Davis LSU and Justin Madubuike A&M. Both good inside run stoppers.

I don't see us having a realistic shot at a top 4 Edge (Young, Chaisson, Epenesa, Gross-Matos) and a top three OT (Wills, Thomas, Jones... still not there with Becton) in this draft. UNC's Stowbridge ought to be around Day 3. He's a grossly undersized DT (6'4, 267!!!) who could... and should... be returned to Edge duty.

What looks to be possible is to land an OT and then add a DT who can penetrate. I'm hoping for a shot at Blacklock, but your Ag is more likely there when our R2 pick rolls around. Problem then becomes where to land a decent LB and S... but there seem to be a fair number of the latter who can help us.

LBs? I'm not seeing much beyond R2 with the possible exception of Willie Gay, Jr. who just may blow up the Combine.

31 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Maybe it's just me but another name I'm rather underwhelmed by is Epenesa.  

Agree... he's not "elite"... lacks burst and lateral agility, but is a strong 6'6, 280 pound DE with tons of punch. Long term I think he moves inside.

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... he's not "elite"... lacks burst and lateral agility, but is a strong 6'6, 280 pound DE with tons of punch. Long term I think he moves inside.

He just can't threaten the edge and moving inside doesn't necessarily make it a good solution by any stretch.    Not a hell of a lot of 280lb defensive interiors in the NFL that were worth a top 15 pick.   And to just say "put on 20lbs" isn't always a solution for improved play either.  See;  Winn, Billy.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

What looks to be possible is to land an OT and then add a DT who can penetrate. I'm hoping for a shot at Blacklock, but your Ag is more likely there when our R2 pick rolls around. Problem then becomes where to land a decent LB and S... but there seem to be a fair number of the latter who can help us.

And someone's early mock just moved Madubuike to late 1st rd. I'm still thinking he may still be there by our rd 2. And all 6 pickers for CBS NFL Mock have Delpit going from #14 to #31 in the 1st. Too bad. I really like him.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

and a top three OT (Wills, Thomas, Jones... still not there with Becton) in this draft. UNC's Stowbridge ought to be around Day 3. 

Stowbridge took some snaps at DE at Heels. But like D. Avery, he tends not* to get off blocks to well against the better tackles..but also, The ACC did not have many good tackles either..

O-Line..i've been spending some time on the Jets board 🤓.. They, like us need O-line. Jets sit at pick #11 with 3 3rd round picks..Plans are, giving up 2 3rds(68&79) to get in front of us to have a LT choice(Thomas).. to Carolina #7(did you happen to notice the Panthers scout that never left Kinlaw all Senior bowl practices?) and ahead of #8 Zona in RT need.. should i make them a something green counter offer;)   

I don't see us having a realistic shot at a top 4 Edge (Young, Chaisson, Epenesa, Gross-Matos) and a top three OT (Wills, Thomas, Jones... still not there with Becton) in this draft. 

So, you think that all 7 of those guys will be gone by the time we draft at 10?

And since we figure that Burrows at least will be taken in Top Ten......that leaves just one other guy besides these 8 that would be drafted before we have a chance.    So, who is that one other guy?

(Or, did you exaggerate the chances of all those 7 being gone?)

20 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

O-Line..i've been spending some time on the Jets board 🤓.. They, like us need O-line. Jets sit at pick #11 with 3 3rd round picks..Plans are, giving up 2 3rds(68&79) to get in front of us to have a LT choice(Thomas).. to Carolina #7(did you happen to notice the Panthers scout that never left Kinlaw all Senior bowl practices?) and ahead of #8 Zona in RT need.. should i make them a something green counter offer;)   

Two 3rds to move up four spots in the 1st round? Not feeling CAR going for that deal. A 2020 1st, 2nd and 3rd? Then maybe "Giddy-up"...

But we can stop CAR in its tracks... put out word to CAR that if our OTs are both gone by #10, then we are going to take Kinlaw... ;) ... and I'd actually be OK with doing that. Kinlaw is arguably in a BPA grouping at #10.

It's going to be a wild 1st round after Cinci calls Burrows' name. There are at least 15 players worthy of being top ten picks.

Read an analysis yesterday about WSH trading away the #2 overall vs. taking Young. A deal with MIA so they can take their QB (Tua or Herbert) at #2 could net WSH all three of the Fins 1st round picks. If MIA makes a move like that, then three QBs likely go before our #10 is on the clock.

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't see us having a realistic shot at a top 4 Edge (Young, Chaisson, Epenesa, Gross-Matos) and a top three OT (Wills, Thomas, Jones... still not there with Becton) in this draft. 

So, you think that all 7 of those guys will be gone by the time we draft at 10?

And since we figure that Burrows at least will be taken in Top Ten......that leaves just one other guy besides these 8 that would be drafted before we have a chance.    So, who is that one other guy?

(Or, did you exaggerate the chances of all those 7 being gone?)

Not sure why I was able to see your post, but since I did...

My comment was on our chances of drafting one of each of those groupings... thus my use of "and".

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure why I was able to see your post, but since I did...

My comment was on our chances of drafting one of each of those groupings... thus my use of "and".

Ah! OK.  I would not think we could get a top 3-4 rated OT or DE/LB with the 9th/10th pick in round 2...which would be like #41-42.  High demand positions.  We might get the #3 OG with that pick.