THE BROWNS BOARD

Oscars 2020

Oscars 2020

So just to hedge my bets, the Oscars are going to be presented February 9th but our deadline here is a little more than a week before so my predictions and analysis will be heir to the slings and arrows of the last-minute whims of the academy. The tides have the tendency to shift in the last few days before presentation. We shall see about that but as of today:
In my opinion this year’s batch is a little bit lackluster though without anything particularly offensive as has been the case in recent years.
You can email me at bear222@aol.com for updates.
Westside Steve’s predictions:
Best Supporting Actress. I have no doubt Laura Dern takes this one mostly because she and her old man Bruce have been minor Hollywood royalty for a long time. And the academy wants to give something to MARRIAGE STORY. 
Best Supporting Actor
I don’t think there is a great performance in the bunch. I actually like everybody’s performance in the category except for Al Pacino who, though I love the guy, was completely miscast as Jimmy Hoffa. Odds are that Brad Pitt takes the gold but I don’t think it was a very demanding performance.
Best Actress: 
It will be a miscarriage of Justice if Renee Zellweger does not win for her stunning portrayal of Judy Garland.  One of the best performances in this category I’ve seen.
Best Actor:
In the last week or so there has been a lot of backlash against JOKER which I think is completely undeserved. I think there’s a little anti superhero snobbery going on here. (Especially after the unwarranted praise of the POS BLACK PANTHER) while I don’t think it will take Best Picture, Joaquin Phoenix did an extraordinary job in the title role. He was so over-the-top he made Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger seemed like they were playing it straight.
Best Director:
Right now, it looks like Sam Mendes along with his film 1917 are the hot topic. 1917 was released late in the year so it’s still fresh in the minds of the academy. Both he and the film are up for top honors and I’d be surprised if the academy spend them both on one flick. Therefore there’s always a chance that the Director award goes to that stupid South Korean movie.
Best Picture:
The only one of the group I did not and will not see his PARASITE. There’s already a category for foreign language film and that’s where this belongs.
My favorites are ONCE UPON a TIME IN HOLLYWOOD and THE IRISHMAN. If it were up to me ONCE would be the winner because of the slight flaws in THE IRISHMAN. Both of those have lost a little bit of momentum in the last couple weeks and maybe because of the New York vs Hollywood thing the vote will be split and the nod goes to the British with 1917.
Start your engines.
WSS

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Parasite wins.   We had this discussion elsewhere:  Why should a film be allowed to win both "International Movie of the Year"   and Best Picture.  If International Films are eligible for the Best Picture award, then the International Film of the year category should be eliminated. 

Parasite can blow me.

WSS

14 hours ago, Axe said:

Well, I imagine that whatever it is you think was the problem was not the problem.   

It seems more to me that the viewing public, especially that 18-49 demographic  was just not interested in the movies that were up:

A WWII movie...

Basically a Soap Opera in Marriage Story  (barf?)

A movie in Korean ???  Who really cares?

A movie about a  completely crazy person  in Joker  (well...that one might have appeal)

A period piece from the late 60s.  to which they could not properly relate to, which I understand. (but I could...so I thought it was great)

A movie about women in the 1800s..... a worn out tale

Another period piece about an automotive rivalry....probably did not resonate with younger people unless you are a motorhead

Another period piece about  the mafia/labor union dispute.

And Jojo Rabbit....which is what?  A comedy about Nazis?   (have not seen it)

On 2/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, The Gipper said:

Well, I imagine that whatever it is you think was the problem was not the problem.   

It seems more to me that the viewing public, especially that 18-49 demographic  was just not interested in the movies that were up:

A WWII movie...

Basically a Soap Opera in Marriage Story  (barf?)

A movie in Korean ???  Who really cares?

A movie about a  completely crazy person  in Joker  (well...that one might have appeal)

A period piece from the late 60s.  to which they could not properly relate to, which I understand. (but I could...so I thought it was great)

A movie about women in the 1800s..... a worn out tale

Another period piece about an automotive rivalry....probably did not resonate with younger people unless you are a motorhead

Another period piece about  the mafia/labor union dispute.

And Jojo Rabbit....which is what?  A comedy about Nazis?   (have not seen it)

Now do the Grammy awards, Tony awards, or any other award show on TV.

They're all in the tanking in the ratings.

2 minutes ago, Axe said:

But I didn't. I don't think it's a problem, I think it's hilarious and I hope the trend continues.

As Canton Dawg said, all these awards shows are "tanking" in the ratings.   But while neither you, nor I, believe it is a problem, that link you made did seem to believe that it was.  

Frankly, I think it's a problem. I used to really look forward to the Oscars. It would be a great honor to have your peers give you an award, respecting the work that you've done. The only best picture nomination I skipped was that stupid Korean movie because I can't read the subtitles and they can fuck themselves. There's already an international category for them. Every one of the other works is a quality film. But I would hesitate to bitch about them if you haven't seen them.

WSS