THE BROWNS BOARD

President Trump grants Clemency and Pardons to the good guys

DieHardBrownsFan

Not sure politically why Trump would do this now to stir up any unnecessary controversy before the election? Why not wait 9 months after the election and do it then?

I may be a partisan anti democrat but I don't want to see anyone either democrat or republican get treated unfairly in our judicial system. It did seem like democrat Blagoevich  got hammered pretty hard sentencing wise for his crimes.

I also see the commuting of Blagoevich's sentence as possibly paving the way for an eventual pardon or commutation of Roger Stone's sentence. 

• Upvote 1

A crooked governor... a couple of tax cheats... a briber... drug offenders... and stolen car ring member.

Article missed the Wall St. cheat.

Simply amazing who qualifies as a "good guy" these days.

5 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Not sure politically why Trump would do this now to stir up any unnecessary controversy before the election?

He saw Blago's wife on Fox News.

Compared to all the DOJ waves he's making, pardoning Blago is barely a ripple.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Not sure politically why Trump would do this now to stir up any unnecessary controversy before the election? Why not wait 9 months after the election and do it then?

I may be a partisan anti democrat but I don't want to see anyone either democrat or republican get treated unfairly in our judicial system. It did seem like democrat Blagoevich  got hammered pretty hard sentencing wise for his crimes.

I also see the commuting of Blagoevich's sentence as possibly paving the way for an eventual pardon or commutation of Roger Stone's sentence. 

Blagojevich "got hammered" by the justice system because he was an egregiously corrupt politician who abused his power of office. Not only did he attempt to sell a vacant US Senate seat off to the highest bidder, he attempted to withhold $8 million in state funds to a children's hospital because the hospital's CEO wouldn't donate to his reelection campaign, and he exerted pressure on the Chicago Tribune to fire writers who wrote articles about him that he didn't like. He earned every second of his stiff prison sentence. 

You know, if a Democrat President was to attempt what Trump is planning by pardoning Blagojevich, you and other conservatives would be fuming and foaming at the mouth over a democrat pardoning a politician over corruption. The fact that Trump is the one doing it and your major gripe isn't that a president who's campaign was advertised as "draining the swamp" is pardoning a corrupt former governor, but rather that Trump's timing is off, is rather telling.

6 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Blagojevich "got hammered" by the justice system because he was an egregiously corrupt politician who abused his power of office. Not only did he attempt to sell a vacant US Senate seat off to the highest bidder, he attempted to withhold $8 million in state funds to a children's hospital because the hospital's CEO wouldn't donate to his reelection campaign, and he exerted pressure on the Chicago Tribune to fire writers who wrote articles about him that he didn't like. He earned every second of his stiff prison sentence. 

You know, if a Democrat President was to attempt what Trump is planning by pardoning Blagojevich, you and other conservatives would be fuming and foaming at the mouth over a democrat pardoning a politician over corruption. The fact that Trump is the one doing it and your major gripe isn't that a president who's campaign was advertised as "draining the swamp" is pardoning a corrupt former governor, but rather that Trump's timing is off, is rather telling.

"You know, if a Democrat President was to attempt what Trump is planning by pardoning Blagojevich, you and other conservatives would be fuming and foaming at the mouth over a democrat pardoning a politician over corruption. The fact that Trump is the one doing it and your major gripe isn't that a president who's campaign was advertised as "draining the swamp" is pardoning a corrupt former governor, but rather that Trump's timing is off, is rather telling".

You are making an assumption and you would be wrong. I worked in the criminal justice system for almost 20 years. 8 years is not a short stretch of prison time which Blago already has served. In my time in the court room I saw defts who committed serious crimes of violence not receiving more than 8 year prison sentences. Blago  did not get off scott free, he is still a convicted criminal having his sentence commuted and not pardoned.

Also you mentioned "if a democrat president did this"....remember Blago was a democrat ex governor that a republican president commuted his sentence. If Trump commuted Blago's sentence for any kind of political gain I'm not seeing the political gain.

The only thing telling about me saying Trump should have waited until after the election is that I know a little about politics and I am just stating a fact that making a controversial commutation of Blago is not a wise political move months before an election. Politically for Trump I see no upside, no political gain only downside for commuting Blago's sentence. In that sense I give Trump credit for what he did.

• Upvote 1

As the hypocrite lib media slams POTUS for pardons and commutations they dont mention;
"By the end of his second and final term on January 20, 2017, United States President Barack Obama had exercised his constitutional power to grant the executive clemency—that is, "pardon, commutation of sentence, remission of fine or restitution, and reprieve" to 1,927 individuals convicted of federal crimes. Of the acts of clemency, 1,715 were commutations (including 504 life sentences) and 212 were pardons. Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges and had received lengthy and sometimes mandatory sentences at the height of the war on drugs.
Obama holds the record for the largest single-day use of the clemency power, granting 330 commutations on January 19, 2017, his last full day in office. He also issued more commutations than the past 13 presidents combined." (Wikipedia)

Rod Blagojevich got a shity sentence in the first place. Yes he did wrong yes he broke the law yes he should take some consequences but Jeez destroying a man's life for some common place Chicago dirty politics while these fuckers are letting rapist torturers and murderers walk the streets after a couple of years is a crock of bullshit. And make no mistake the Democrats wouldn't give shit number one if Obama pardoned him. 

I also hope he completely pardons Rodger Stone who is obviously the victim of a kangaroo court.

WSS

• Upvote 2