THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Drafts Thread

Westside Steve

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think Louisville Slugger sees something I don't.

What game(s) did you look at LS? If different than those I looked at, then I'm willing to take another look.

Meanwhile report is out that LAC is trading Okung to CAR for OG Trai Turner so would appear that LAC has an OT in mind at #6 overall.

Interesting. So who do they plan on at QB? Brady? Tyrod Taylor?😱

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I don't think what Tour was "proposing" would be praise of Becton. 

And having just wrapped up watching him vs Clemson this past season, I'm inclined to agree being very underwhelmed at times by what I saw.

Dear God, the amount of waist bending....

He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.

Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.

Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft.

Wirfs is a good RT prospect but I want a LT if it a top 10 pick.

It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing

6 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.

Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.

Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft.

Wirfs is a good RT prospect but I want a LT if it a top 10 pick.

It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing

We'll have to just disagree on Wills and Thomas then.

I still have more to watch on Becton. 

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think Louisville Slugger sees something I don't.

What game(s) did you look at LS? If different than those I looked at, then I'm willing to take another look.

Meanwhile report is out that LAC is trading Okung to CAR for OG Trai Turner so would appear that LAC has an OT in mind at #6 overall.

I watched the Clemson tape. There were a handful of bad snaps. He got too high and pushed into the QB twice. No sack but it looks bad. He completely whiffed on a cut block. He over perused a linebacker. Other than that he dominated his man on every snap. 

I've only watched 1 game of each of these guys so things could change, but Becton is way ahead at this point

11 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.  it's partly about getting caught flat footed with his feet.(but, any man that size could). mostly it's his poor balance waste bend, while trying to out physical every line opponent.. Becton reminds me a lot of Utah's -50lb. less- Garrett Bolles at Denver.. Bolles found out, ya can't anchor spinning speed demons off the edge till he get's his as& down & bend locks at his knees..when Bolles got beat in 1st season. He had to anchor by holding flags due to playing to high out of his stance. Becton is 2" taller than Bolles, but your right it can be coached..Bolles showed it can be done by coaching.. Denver hires Pitts, former OL coach Mike Munchak and Bowles did improve technique wise last season.. Dalton Risner played well in 1st season, not getting the coaching that Bolles badly needed year one...  

Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.  but watch his feet, butt & knee bend in pass pro all aligned squaring off his opponents. has best hand location & punch of the group.it's why, scouts say he's the best tech ready of any tackle..

Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft. can't agree w/weak-soft.. AT played 3 years & over 42 games in the SEC & gave up only 5 sacks...i have slim hopes a smart gm leaves Thomas on the board before we get #10...

It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing...  and Were not pro scouts that get paid to f' this up?...and they will   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I dont think Becton gets caught flat footed it looks like he tries to bully people and use his size to shove defenders away. 

I went back and watched Thomas and I have no idea where that assessment came from. Hes really good. I think hes our guy.

I stand with my assessment on wills. Those choppy steps will get him wrecked at the next level. Really nice guard prospect 

• Like 1

At least you came around on Thomas... so we have that. ;)

Really disagree on Becton... He's got balance issues and doesn't flow well enough to play in a ZBS. It's all too common of a problem with OTs over 6'5"... and his issues are compounded by his massive chest.... which he makes too available to pass rushers.

I don't see heavy feet under Wills. He needs a kick step but then so does every OT in this class. Closest I've seen to one is the UConn kid. But chopping steps don't get OTs into trouble... hopping does. Joe Thomas chopped... but only after the prettiest kick step in the league was finished.

Wirfs is the one I see moving inside.

But with the news about pursuing Trent Williams and Jason Peters I have to wonder if we end up taking an OT at #10...

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

At least you came around on Thomas... so we have that. ;)

Really disagree on Becton... He's got balance issues and doesn't flow well enough to play in a ZBS. It's all too common of a problem with OTs over 6'5"... and his issues are compounded by his massive chest.... which he makes too available to pass rushers.

I don't see heavy feet under Wills. He needs a kick step but then so does every OT in this class. Closest I've seen to one is the UConn kid. But chopping steps don't get OTs into trouble... hopping does. Joe Thomas chopped... but only after the prettiest kick step in the league was finished.

Wirfs is the one I see moving inside.

But with the news about pursuing Trent Williams and Jason Peters I have to wonder if we end up taking an OT at #10...

How do you feel about a FA LT and Wirfs as a RT or RG?

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

very true. I can't imagine the trade giving up the #10 pick though, like mentioned in one article I read. Doesn't make sense to give up the #10 pick, only to have that team draft one of the top OT's on the board.🙄

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

How do you feel about a FA LT and Wirfs as a RT or RG?

Dunno... I was disappointed in the tape I saw of him at OT and never thought about him as an OG, but with that as a fallback position... maybe. Still seems like a steep price to pay for an OG.

PFF did an analysis of player performance vs. draft pick spent and the lowest impact position was OG.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Damn! So Ghoolie was half right then!🙄

lol... also did analysis of Combine measurements as predictors of performance and one of top ones for OL and DL was "weight".

Of course the kicker is that Combine invites aren't given out to just any "fat-ass". :)

On 3/6/2020 at 8:19 PM, Tour2ma said:

Dunno... I was disappointed in the tape I saw of him at OT and never thought about him as an OG, but with that as a fallback position... maybe. Still seems like a steep price to pay for an OG.

PFF did an analysis of player performance vs. draft pick spent and the lowest impact position was OG.

I read a McManamon article a month or so ago where he basically interviewed a PFF type guy to look at our current roster with an analytical eye and he basically agreed that an OG isn’t the most impactful position to gain an edge and he thought we would be fine going forward with Teller. 

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

https://factoryofsadness.co/2020/03/09/cleveland-browns-walter-mock-draft/3/

30 line in a row? I doubt it but... The Gipper in Inn round 6? I agree with them on the quarterback. Rod 6 isn't worth much but we don't need him.

WSS

yes, someone else had him in a mock draft.

Since I am picking for the Browns in our mock draft....I will have to keep him highly in mind!

https://factoryofsadness.co/2020/03/06/nfl-draft-cleveland-browns-later-rounds/

Interesting - they mention a lb that the Browns can't pass up in the later rounds...

Logan Wilson. They say 4th round, I say, second round, maybe. That is where I picked him, well before the combine:

2Logan Wilson, LB, ?Wyoming          

I don't see this Wilson falling out of the second round. He is getting a lot more attention, and should.

Wyoming – LB Logan Wilson

Logan Wilson is an absolute stud inside linebacker. His stats are usually across 12-13 games, so keep in mind how dominant he was at Wyoming. In his career, Wilson had 409 tackles, 34.5 for a loss, seven sacks, 10 interceptions, 14 pass deflections, two touchdowns, and four fumble recoveries.

If there was a prototypical replacement player for Joe Schobert, it’d be Wilson. There might be a better cover linebacker in the draft, but who knows? There is no formula, there is no stat that defines who a great player is or could be. Think about all those times Mel Kiper and Todd McShay said “…this player is a can’t miss prospect” and that prospect ended up busting. The Draft Combine, the ESPN draft ‘experts’, there’s no guarantee. There’s no promise.

Wilson plays just like Schobert did and has the legs to keep up with tight ends and running backs out of the backfield. Shobert showed a lot of quickness, but Wilson is an even better athlete. He’s got that ball-hawking mentality and has the ability to average double-digit tackles for the team.

Currently, he’s being projected in the 4-6 round area. An ideal pick up around the 4th-round for the Cleveland Browns. The Browns have a lot of pressing needs, namely on the offensive line. There’s quite a good number of players that could help the line, and the area of need is deep. The linebackers may not be as deep quality-wise, but some of them are being dismissed due to not having flashy combine stats. It’s very clear that someone like Wilson might be overlooked because of where he went to school. Giving him an opportunity to fill the hole that the Browns foolishly created by not re-signing Schobert is the only way to go, outside of dumping huge money on free agents.

and my OG pick, is also listed in the other article: Not bad.

I had Stenberg as my second third round pick. I said:

3 Logan Stenberg, G, Kentucky

The only trouble is, this kid may not last this long, He is getting very, very serious notice for his skills, feet, toughness, and football IQ.If he is even here, which I think he would be, he also will help make the Browns offensive line one of the best, at ROG. That would be rebuilding the Browns oline very nicely.

Third Round (Pick #74) – OG Logan Stenberg, Kentucky University

The Browns made a huge mistake by trading away Kevin Zeitler. Their offensive line really struggled as a consequence. They’ll need better guard play.

Logan Stenberg looked good in the Senior Bowl to answer some questions about blocking speed rushers.

There are other guards in the draft that impress me more, but for a third-round pick, if he’s still there, Logan Stenberg isn’t a half-shabby option. He’s got a lot to prove, namely how he stacks up against better competition. Being an offensive lineman alone is hard enough. Being an offensive lineman on a team that isn’t thought of as a powerhouse is even harder.

Someone like Stenberg will have to prove that he’s not a product of his system. Something that one could argue for the Boise State products in this year’s draft as well. Playing alongside four other men is really a great blanket for some players who aren’t that good. The line is such a different beast than any other squad on a football team because, individually, you could look terrible but have a good outing as a unit, or you could be fantastic but still look like trash. You’re so reliant on everyone knowing their jobs, their assignments and their responsibilities that a sack that you get credit for may not have even been your fault.

Stenberg didn’t test at the combine for the bench press, according to the NFL.com website. We have no idea what he offers in regards to strength outside of game footage. He could be wicked strong like Brock Lesnar meets Mark Henry, or he could be like Becton. Someone who’s a lot bigger than he is anything else. Though for Stenberg he isn’t’ 6’7 and pushing 400 pounds.

Thankfully.

Stenberg has holes and there are issues with him as a prospect; which is why he’s in the third round. He’s a good choice in round three, though, assuming others ahead of him haven’t slipped for some reason.

Mock Draft Roundup: How did Browns' free agent signings affect picks by Mel Kiper Jr., other analysts

Andrew Gribble

In less than a week, rosters around the NFL have changed in dramatic fashion. The Browns, of course, are no different thanks to the addition of six new players (and counting).

All the moving and shaking around the league has caused some major changes in the projections analysts are making in their latest mock drafts. We're here for you to track just how much those predictions have changed when it comes to what the Browns are going to do with the No. 10 pick.

Of Note: Kiper says he likes the addition of RT Jack Conklin but stresses the Browns still have a glaring need at LT.

Of Note: Casserly has Thomas sandwiched between Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons and Alabama LT Jedrick Wills Jr.

Of Note: Thomas would be the fourth LT selected in the top 10 in Wilson's mock.

Of Note: White's the third in this group to see the Browns taking Thomas over Wills.

Of Note: The Browns would be picking Becton over Thomas in this scenario.

Of Note: Reid writes he doesn't think a team has fared better in free agency than the Browns.

Of Note: Farrar writes the combination of Becton and Conklin at the tackle positions "would be a massive upgrade over what the Browns presented last season."

Of Note: The Browns would be making Thomas the third tackle selected in the draft behind Becton and Tristan Wirfs.

Of Note: The Browns would be picking Wills over Thomas in this projection.

14 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I think we have to land Thomas so I would look to trade up. I dont think Wirfs and Wills go ahead of Thomas because the LT position is more valuable. If the Charger sign Newton then maybe we can offer 10, Hunt, and a late round pick to secure him.

Wait....you want to trade our #10,  a late round pick....and Kareem Hunt in order to move up in the draft to take Thomas?  

onhell-no-memegenerator-net-oh-hell-no-g

31 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Yea. Chubb is a workhorse. Hunt is a head case. We need a LT. Makes sense to me

What makes sense is to just draft one at #10.     In a number of rankings Thomas comes behind 3 other guys.   I say chances are better than 50/50 that he is there when we pick....and if he isn't, Becton maybe.  So we sit there and wait for one of them.....not give up picks and players for him. 

• Thanks 1

Pete Smith of Si is a very smart man! :D ... and not just because he agrees with me... but it helps a lot.

TheMMQB 3-Round Mock Draft: The Cleveland Browns

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2FdM Pete Smith 3 hours ago

Kevin Hanson produced a three-round mock draft for TheMMQB and obviously, that means he projected four of the Cleveland Browns seven picks. It's incredibly difficult to do mock drafts, especially three-rounds for all 32 teams, 106 picks in all. With all due respect to Hanson, it's time to nitpick the selections for the Browns, see which make sense and which ones simply don't.

10. Cleveland Browns: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

Even though the Browns have agreed to a three-year deal with free-agent right tackle Jack Conklin, the team could be in the market to upgrade both tackle spots. Not only is left tackle Greg Robinson a free agent, but right tackle Chris Hubbard graded out as PFF’s 76th-best offensive tackle (among 81 qualifiers) last season. A mountain of a man at 6' 7" and 364 pounds with vines for arms (35 5/8"), the 20-year-old Becton has work to do on technique, but he has unique movement skills for a man his size.

Mekhi Becton is one of the most remarkable prospects in recent history because he looks like something out of ancient mythology. He simply enormous and athletic for his size. His potential is tantalizing for most any team. But there are several reasons Becton seems unlikely to be in the Browns draft plans.

First, the Browns are employing the same wide zone scheme that head coach Kevin Stefanski employed when he was the offensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings. The signing of Jack Conklin emphasizes what they want in prospects. Movement skills, the ability to play technically sound football, win with position and technique.

None of that is to say that Becton can't do those things. The Browns don't know if he can do it for they want and do it consistently. They also don't need Atlas to play left tackle, putting the world on his shoulders. If they got him, they'd be happy to have them, but what they want to avoid at left tackle is a high amount of volatility. Becton is incredibly talented, but he's not consistent. Outside of movement skills, that might be the thing the Browns want most in their offensive linemen, particularly at left tackle.

The player who Hanson has going to the New York Jets, at 11th pick, Andrew Thomas, not only has the movement skills the Browns want, but was incredibly consistent in pass protection at Georgia. He needs to be a more consistent run blocker, but he's a far better fit for the Browns than Becton.

The last point that works against Becton is tempo. Becton may be a demigod at 6'7" 364, but he likely limits how fast a team can go. Increasingly, teams utilize tempo as a weapon on offense as a way to create confusion for defenses before the snap as well as limit their ability to sub. It's really difficult to imagine that Becton wouldn't be negatively impacted by an offense trying to go fast, potentially multiple times per game. It just doesn't seem like a good fit for the Browns.

41. Cleveland Browns: Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin

74. Cleveland Browns: Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State

97. Cleveland Browns (via HOU): Tyler Biadasz, IOL, Wisconsin

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/themmqb-3-round-mock-draft-the-cleveland-browns

=====================================================================================

See discussion of other pick in article.

Then again.... maybe Smith is not so smart.

He posted a 7 round mock he did on Fanspeak Premium which allows trades and he... well... traded down to #26 to draft a questionable, 2nd-round, OT value...

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/cleveland-browns-2020-7-round-mock-draft-vol-5