THE BROWNS BOARD

CDC officials - coronavirus - pandemic in U.S.A. not "if"...but "when"

calfoxwc

well, it's gone past joking and comparisons to a bad flu outbreak.

water, food storage, masks, start staying home... limit dr office visits if it gets around to happening....medicine...fuel........

https://www.theblaze.com/news/breaking-us-health-officials-issue-urgent-warning-that-a-coronavirus-epidemic-in-america-is-inevitable

"

Nancy Messonnier, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said that U.S. health officials expect to see a coronavirus epidemic within the United States.

"As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder," Messionner said in Tuesday remarks.

She added that two out of three "requirements" for a "pandemic of new disease" have been met and that Americans should begin preparations for a mass spread.

"It's not a question of if this will happen, but when this will happen, and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses," she said. "Disruption to everyday life might be severe."

"

29 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

well, it's gone past joking and comparisons to a bad flu outbreak.

water, food storage, masks, start staying home... limit dr office visits if it gets around to happening....medicine...fuel........

https://www.theblaze.com/news/breaking-us-health-officials-issue-urgent-warning-that-a-coronavirus-epidemic-in-america-is-inevitable

"

Nancy Messonnier, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said that U.S. health officials expect to see a coronavirus epidemic within the United States.

"As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder," Messionner said in Tuesday remarks.

She added that two out of three "requirements" for a "pandemic of new disease" have been met and that Americans should begin preparations for a mass spread.

"It's not a question of if this will happen, but when this will happen, and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses," she said. "Disruption to everyday life might be severe."

"

I took this seriously from the beginning and started making preparations a month ago.

It is possible this coronavirus should have never happened except for some biological lab  in China selling infected test animals to markets in Wuhan China. We'll never know but I think that is what happened. First they traced the outbreak to outdoor markets in Wuhan China and then the Chinese dictator puts out the decree that virus labs in China needed to strengthen their security protocols.  Actually there is only one lab in all of China that handles advanced viruses like the Coronavirus and it is located in Wuhan China. So China's incompetence may very well have caused this soon to be world wide flu pandemic.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

5 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I took this seriously from the start and took preparations a month ago.

It is possible this coronavirus should have never happened except for some biological lab  in China selling infected test animals to markets in Wuhan China. We'll never know but I think that is what happened. First they traced the outbreak to outdoor markets in Wuhan China and then the Chinese dictator puts out the decree that virus labs in China needed to strengthen their security protocols.  Actually there is only one lab in all of China that handles advanced viruses like the Coronavirus and it is located in Wuhan China. So China's incompetence may very well have caused this soon to be world wide flu pandemic.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

Ever read the Stephen King Book the Stand?  Its about a military bio lab in CA that accidently releases a deadly flu that kills 99 percent of earths population.  Pretty good book.

21 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Ever read the Steven King Book the Stand?  Its about a military bio lab in CA that accidently releases a deadly flu that kills 99 percent of earths population.  Pretty good book.

I never read that book but I think we are seeing this play out right now with China being the cause of a deadly world wide flu pandemic.

I knew from what health officials have said before that we were past due for a world wide flu pandemic but I hate that this one was likely caused by human error in China and should not have happened.

schumer and pelosi...the whole bunch are totally corrupt hacks.

I know the gov doesn't want people to panic...but I wouldn't wait til the last week to start

being prepared at home, in case something does break out.

"low risk" now. but a month from now - national emergency? one illegal could come across, and start

infecting truck drivers and truck stops and bus travelers and.....

egad.

26 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Right now there is no virus in Ohio.  Just avoid crowds and if you must wear a mask and don't touch your face.  Wash hands immediately upon returning home for at least 20 (or more) seconds.  If its your time to go, your going anyway.

Good advice but this virus must spread very easily even with precautions. I read a few weeks ago a doctor in China treating coronavirus came down with virus and died and today we find out the doctor in Iran in charge of the coronavirus outbreak there has come down with the virus. I am sure these doctors were taking stringent precautions.

suspected cases.

Two Ohio college students investigated for coronavirus ...

https://www.cleveland.com/.../two-ohio-college-students-investigated-for-coronavirus.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Two Miami University students who developed flu-like symptoms after returning from China have been isolated as health officials test them for coronavirus, according to the Ohio...

11 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Good advice but this virus must spread very easily even with precautions. I read a few weeks ago a doctor in China treating coronavirus came down with virus and died and today we find out the doctor in Iran in charge of the coronavirus outbreak there has come down with the virus. I am sure these doctors were taking stringent precautions.

Well, if thats the case what are u going to do?

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

suspected cases.

Two Ohio college students investigated for coronavirus ...

https://www.cleveland.com/.../two-ohio-college-students-investigated-for-coronavirus.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Two Miami University students who developed flu-like symptoms after returning from China have been isolated as health officials test them for coronavirus, according to the Ohio...

Thats old news from a few weeks back Cal.

1 minute ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Well, if thats the case what are u going to do?

I will be praying first and foremost but that doesn't mean I  haven't taken precautions such as storing up supplies in case of a flu pandemic. I read a lot about the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic from ministers who lived through it and what they faced and I have always been concerned about something like that happening again. This coronavirus may be it. These ministers were prayer warriors and even though they were heavily exposed to the Spanish flu (by praying for the sick) they never got sick themselves. 

It is still good advice to wash your hands often and keep your hands from your face and if the virus starts taking hold here locally I will stop eating out and try to avoid crowds. 

I knew all along this was something not to take lightly. This flu pandemic could be really be disruptive if it starts spreading in the United States. I read how disruptive it was 100 years ago.

What red flagged me right away was the delay of any symptoms of coronavirus. A person could be contagious and spreading the virus while showing no symptoms. So any screenings of people at airports would not be 100 percent effective. That and with all the travel today as compared to 100 years ago I was concerned about the spread of coronavirus and it becoming a pandemic.

I'm hoping that warmer weather coming will slow the virus like it has with other flu viruses.

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Schumer is already playing politics with the coronavirus. I knew he would.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/484548-schumer-trump-coronavirus-response-marked-by-towering-and-dangerous

Gee, I wonder why?

===============================================================================================================================

Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response

As it improvises its way through a public health crisis, the United States has never been less prepared for a pandemic.

By Laurie Garrett | January 31, 2020, 11:07 AM

The epidemic control efforts unfolding today in China—including placing some 100 million citizens on lockdown, shutting down a national holiday, building enormous quarantine hospitals in days’ time, and ramping up 24-hour manufacturing of medical equipment—are indeed gargantuan. It’s impossible to watch them without wondering, “What would we do? How would my government respond if this virus spread across my country?”

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10. Meanwhile, throughout 2018, the U.S. Agency for International Development and its director, Mark Green, came repeatedly under fire from both the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. And though Congress has so far managed to block Trump administration plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent, the disease-fighting cadres have steadily eroded as retiring officers go unreplaced.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-trump-united-states-public-health-emergency-response/

===========================================================================================================================================

Looking forward to seeing "MAGA masks" at future rallies... lol

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Gee, I wonder why?

===============================================================================================================================

Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response

As it improvises its way through a public health crisis, the United States has never been less prepared for a pandemic.

By Laurie Garrett | January 31, 2020, 11:07 AM

The epidemic control efforts unfolding today in China—including placing some 100 million citizens on lockdown, shutting down a national holiday, building enormous quarantine hospitals in days’ time, and ramping up 24-hour manufacturing of medical equipment—are indeed gargantuan. It’s impossible to watch them without wondering, “What would we do? How would my government respond if this virus spread across my country?”

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10. Meanwhile, throughout 2018, the U.S. Agency for International Development and its director, Mark Green, came repeatedly under fire from both the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. And though Congress has so far managed to block Trump administration plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent, the disease-fighting cadres have steadily eroded as retiring officers go unreplaced.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-trump-united-states-public-health-emergency-response/

===========================================================================================================================================

Looking forward to seeing "MAGA masks" at future rallies... lol

It doesn't matter. Whatever Trump does or doesn't do the left will find fault with him. If Trump found the cure for the coronavirus the left would criticize him for not coming up with the cure sooner.

The coronavirus has already spread to other countries but I don't see these countries playing politics with the virus like we are seeing here. Gee I wonder why?

The fact is this got out of control in China and all the money in the world would not have helped because China would not allow anyone in to help. China kept this secret as long as possible and by the time the world found out about it, the coronavirus was raging out of control. Even worse this coronavirus may have escaped from their own virus lab in Wuhan China, the city where this virus got its start. So if we want to play the blame game lets put it where it belongs on China. 

actually, the health service is a gigantic bureaucratic many divisioned nightmare of huge money with the usual duplication.

a separate division for women? and American INdians? those with aids? adolescents? minorities? a women's division?

you do not need all those diviisions, each with bureaucratic staffs, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Nothing wrong with trimming down the bureaucracy. that is not called "sabotage" - it's called downsizing the bloat so it can run far more efficient with far less funds. the overlap is asinine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Public_Health_Service

Organization

Eight out of the eleven operating divisions of the Department of Health and Human Services are designated as part of the Public Health Service:[2]

The three other divisions are designated human services agencies and are not part of the Public Health Service. These are the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Administration for Children and Families, and Administration for Community Living.[2][3]

The Assistant Secretary for Health is the senior official in charge of the Public Health Service. The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health contains the following core agencies:[4]

from the same link above: too much power in too much gov gets you garbage like this:

Syphilis studies in Guatemala

A USPHS physician who took part in the 1932–1972 Tuskegee program, John Charles Cutler, was in charge of the U.S. government's syphilis experiments in Guatemala, in which in the Central American Republic of Guatemala, Guatemalan prisoners, soldiers, orphaned children, and others were deliberately infected with syphilis and other sexually-transmitted diseases from 1946 to 1948, in order to scientifically study the disease, in a project funded by a grant from the National Institutes of Health of the United States in Bethesda, Maryland.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton apologized to the Republic of Guatemala for this program in 2010, in light of the serious ethical lapses in moral judgement which occurred.[19]

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

actually, the health service is a gigantic bureaucratic many divisioned nightmare of huge money with the usual duplication.

a separate division for women? and American INdians? those with aids? adolescents? minorities? a women's division?

you do not need all those diviisions, each with bureaucratic staffs, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Nothing wrong with trimming down the bureaucracy. that is not called "sabotage" - it's called downsizing the bloat so it can run far more efficient with far less funds. the overlap is asinine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Public_Health_Service

Organization

Eight out of the eleven operating divisions of the Department of Health and Human Services are designated as part of the Public Health Service:[2]

The three other divisions are designated human services agencies and are not part of the Public Health Service. These are the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Administration for Children and Families, and Administration for Community Living.[2][3]

The Assistant Secretary for Health is the senior official in charge of the Public Health Service. The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health contains the following core agencies:[4]

In reality there may not be a whole lot we can do to prevent the coronavirus from spreading in the United States. Screening at airports cannot be totally successful as people can have the virus (and infecting others) without any symptoms for 10-14 days. The political reality though is when it does spread the left are going to blame Trump. Actually they are already blaming Trump. The best thing Trump can do right now is to be seen attacking this coronavirus aggressively instead of seemingly trying to downplay the coronavirus threat. Trump may be trying to downplay the threat for valid reasons such as trying to keep people from panicking but If the coronavirus does spread in the United States like some experts believe is inevitable his downplaying of the threat will be used against him. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

A good read, not hyperbole, and not a "nothing to worry about" story either.

Some of the highlights:

Less than 1% under the age of 50 in China has died.

None of the over 400 infected on that cruise ship has died.

You can study only the cases you find, and other scientists have estimated there could be 10 times as many people infected as are ending up in the official statistics. That means the overall death rate is likely to be lower than the one reported in this study.

It finds that 80.9% of infections are classified as mild, 13.8% as severe and only 4.7% as critical. Data from the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CCDC) finds that more than 80% of the cases have been mild, with the sick and elderly most at risk. The fatality rate, remains low but rises among those over 80 years old.

Is the coronavirus worse than flu or Sars?

The answer is not as straightforward as it might seem. The virus appears to kill around 1% of people infected. This is far less than Sars (10%) Mers (34%) or Ebola (50%). However, what matters is how many people it can infect. Flu has a low death rate, but it kills hundreds of thousands of people each year because it infects so many. We still do not know if this new coronavirus is going to spread round the world.

Officials reported 98 new deaths and 1,886 new cases in the past day, with 93 of those deaths and 1,807 infections in Hubei province - the epicentre of the outbreak.

More than 12,000 people have recovered, according to Chinese authorities.

6 hours ago, Gorka said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

A good read, not hyperbole, and not a "nothing to worry about" story either.

Some of the highlights:

Less than 1% under the age of 50 in China has died.

None of the over 400 infected on that cruise ship has died.

You can study only the cases you find, and other scientists have estimated there could be 10 times as many people infected as are ending up in the official statistics. That means the overall death rate is likely to be lower than the one reported in this study.

It finds that 80.9% of infections are classified as mild, 13.8% as severe and only 4.7% as critical. Data from the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CCDC) finds that more than 80% of the cases have been mild, with the sick and elderly most at risk. The fatality rate, remains low but rises among those over 80 years old.

Is the coronavirus worse than flu or Sars?

The answer is not as straightforward as it might seem. The virus appears to kill around 1% of people infected. This is far less than Sars (10%) Mers (34%) or Ebola (50%). However, what matters is how many people it can infect. Flu has a low death rate, but it kills hundreds of thousands of people each year because it infects so many. We still do not know if this new coronavirus is going to spread round the world.

Officials reported 98 new deaths and 1,886 new cases in the past day, with 93 of those deaths and 1,807 infections in Hubei province - the epicentre of the outbreak.

More than 12,000 people have recovered, according to Chinese authorities.

The 34 y.o. MD in China who raised cane about it has died of it.

I was watching an expert in pandemics discuss it last night and she said that the great flu epidemic after WW I had a death rate of 1.9% and that this death rate currently is running right at 2%. That great flu epidemic killed about 50 million people world wide. One fifth of the world's population contracted an active case.This one has the same potential since they are nearly the same in death rates and the spread is equally fast. Of course all us old folks are more likely to keel over since we have less ability to fight it off than the young. I would keep an eye out on retirement communities like the Sun City near me because a lot of retirees like to do world travel and they shop and eat at the same establishments. I know I will be doing grocery shopping in off hours because the store near me is overcrowded during peak hours from 9am-9pm every day. I'll go at 6am or 10 pm and put hand sanitizers in my cart and keep it in the car. Going to load up things in the freezers and pantry in case it becomes really bad. Of course in our grocery store you're more likely to get killed in the parking lot by these old geezer drivers, which is another reason I already go in off hours. LOL!😱

• Haha 1

Trump is right to not try to panic the public and he did a good job addressing the nation about the coronavirus last night.

Schumer just the other day was wanting 3 billion to fight the coronavirus and he is now up to 8 billion. If I were advising Trump I would say give the democrats what they want because if he doesn't and the coronavirus spreads in the United States they are going to play politics and blame the spread of the virus on Trump. They are already blaming him now but if the virus spreads they will be blaming Trump 24/7. You can see it coming a mile away.

I'm usually not one to split hairs but referencing the stock market at the end of a tweet addressing the outbreak isn't the best look.    If there was ever a time to close with "thoughts and prayers", that would have been it.  

There could be a sizeable body count before this is over.  Sometimes talking about the strength of a financial portfolio really isn't the end-all to bringing a word of comfort.

I believe bringing up the stock market was in response to the knee jerk antagonism from the dems blaming

something he did that caused it.

right now, globally - our U.S.A. is rated #1 in the entire world, of countries

ready to fight this kind of outbreak.

It could happen here, folks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/27/coronavirus-update-cdc-test-covid-community-spread-case/4889999002/

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I believe bringing up the stock market was in response to the knee jerk antagonism from the dems blaming

something he did that caused it.

right now, globally - our U.S.A. is rated #1 in the entire world, of countries

ready to fight this kind of outbreak.

It could happen here, folks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/27/coronavirus-update-cdc-test-covid-community-spread-case/4889999002/

As president, Trump needs to try keep down panic and address issues that affect citizens and the stock market does affect many citizens so I don't have a problem when he brings it up even in regards to the coronavirus. The coronavirus has played a big part in the recent drop in the DOW.

Sadly there are some on the left who hate this president so much they have been rooting for the stock market to go down and a recession.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/19/recession-is-at-the-top-of-trump-haters-wish-list/

The democrats were able to blame a hurricane on Bush (Katrina) mainly because Bush didn't fight back. Trump will fight back. If I was to place the blame on anyone right now it would be China who hid the spread of coronavirus for months in China until it was out of control and could no longer be kept secret. I still have strong suspicions this virus escaped from their own viral lab likely by selling infected testing animals to local markets.

• Upvote 1