THE BROWNS BOARD

Vikings Have Interest in Thursdays Game

WPB Dawg Fan

So...this is not a Cleveland paper...in fact it is a Minnesota Viking Staff Reporter:

A Thursday night of Purple intrigue

Derek Anderson

By Viking Update Staff

Posted Nov 5, 2008

The Vikings don’t play Thursday night, but Vikings fans should have an interest in the game to see how new starter Brady Quinn performs for the Cleveland Browns. If he does well the rest of the year, Derek Anderson could be on the trading block after this season.

There will be plenty of interest as the NFL begins playing Thursday night games on the NFL Network between now and Week 16 of the schedule. But perhaps some of the primary interest in tomorrow’s premiere between the Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns could be the Vikings organization.

The Browns, who as an organization give former players like Jim Brown and Bernie Kosar a surprising amount of sway when it comes to organizational decisions, made the move after Sunday’s game to turn the offense over from QB Derek Anderson to Brady Quinn. It is expected that, unless he falls flat on his face, Quinn will be given the opportunity to start the rest of the season and, if things go as hoped, for years to come.

Earlier this year before free agency began, the Browns rewarded Anderson with a three-year, $24 million contract that will become an issue if Anderson is the backup and Quinn is the starter. You simply don’t pay that kind of money to your backup quarterback. Most teams would love to have a veteran and a young potential franchise player on the roster, but when the expensive QB is the one on the bench, that doesn’t fly with ownership.

At least one Twin Cities newspaper wag reported the Vikings offered a king’s ransom for Quinn prior to the trade deadline – a report met skeptically by many insiders who questioned how the Vikes could afford to part with two No. 1 picks (as reported) when they already gave up a lot to secure Jared Allen before this year’s draft. If the Vikings were that interested in Quinn, would that interest also lend itself toward Anderson? In fact, one source close to the Browns organization quickly shot down the rumor as false.

The fact of the matter is that the Browns need to get rid of Anderson’s huge salary if in fact Quinn is going to be the QB of the future. There is recent precedent for such moves. The Chargers had a solid veteran in Drew Brees and a young up-and-comer in Philip Rivers in a similar situation. It was clear Rivers was the future, because the Chargers traded the No. 1 pick in the draft (Eli Manning) to get him. But Brees suddenly was playing the best ball of his career and the Chargers franchised him for one year to keep him. Eventually, they had to cut the cord and Brees signed as a free agent with New Orleans.

Could the same be in store for Anderson? If Quinn proves to be a rallying point for the Cleveland team Thursday and beyond, the Browns will look to move Anderson in the offseason. With Gus Frerotte not viewed as a long-term answer, the Vikings would be one of a handful of teams that will have an interest in Anderson if he becomes available. For that reason, Vikings fans may have more interest in Thursday’s game and the rest of the Cleveland schedule than they might have just a couple of weeks ago.

things that make you go hmmm!

You can forget about Winfield. I live near Minneapolis, so I know a thing or two about the vikes. He is one of the "untouchables" on that team, along with the Williams boys, AP, and Hutchinson.

Chester Taylor for DA maybe, but I'm not sure that is a long term solution either.

Not unless the Minnesota Vikings are on Acid do they want to waste ANY cake on Dumb Ass. They already got the same guy in Gus Forgotten where they don't have to overpay him.

If they were smart - they'd be thinking of a package deal trade up where they could unload some of that defensive beef for the Texas Tech QB or Colts McCoys. I'm not sure Tim Teabags is going to transition into anything special at the next level. I keep seeing him as Mark Campbell type of position change to TE.

You can THANK Phil Savage and RAC for the return value of a Luke McCown or Charlie Frye in regards to Dumb Ass. He's just not football smart or poised enough for the pressure that comes with what a franchise would need him to be. Forget 10 wins against 9 pansies and a Seattle team that always forfeits on the road. We're playing a tougher schedule this year and DA looked alot more like the kid I saw 0-3 as a starter after 2 promising quarters vrs KC in 2006.

- Tom F. (Believe it or not, I don't HATE DA - I just HATE him as a counterfeit starter on my favorite football team)

Guest Masters
Not unless the Minnesota Vikings are on Acid do they want to waste ANY cake on Dumb Ass. They already got the same guy in Gus Forgotten where they don't have to overpay him.

If they were smart - they'd be thinking of a package deal trade up where they could unload some of that defensive beef for the Texas Tech QB or Colts McCoys. I'm not sure Tim Teabags is going to transition into anything special at the next level. I keep seeing him as Mark Campbell type of position change to TE.

You can THANK Phil Savage and RAC for the return value of a Luke McCown or Charlie Frye in regards to Dumb Ass. He's just not football smart or poised enough for the pressure that comes with what a franchise would need him to be. Forget 10 wins against 9 pansies and a Seattle team that always forfeits on the road. We're playing a tougher schedule this year and DA looked alot more like the kid I saw 0-3 as a starter after 2 promising quarters vrs KC in 2006.

- Tom F. (Believe it or not, I don't HATE DA - I just HATE him as a counterfeit starter on my favorite football team)

He is who we thought he was!

Guest Masters
Masters, are you new or under a new name? Because you clearly know your shit. Good to have you here.

I was under MIKMAS under the old setup. Just went to my last name on this new setup.

And thank you for the complement!

Mikmas is a great poster, we just didn't see him as much before the board change and for a few years he posted more on the Revolution and ABJ.

Disclaimer: He liked Charlie like I did (or thought he could be decent) but unlike some we both can admit we whiffed on the wrong guy.

Flugs is right y'all, just like most of us who had our doubts but hoped (against all logic) that DA would miraculously become a playoff caliber QB.......instead of a 3 and out icon to fellow fans across the league.

Guest Masters
Mikmas is a great poster, we just didn't see him as much before the board change and for a few years he posted more on the Revolution and ABJ.

Disclaimer: He liked Charlie like I did (or thought he could be decent) but unlike some we both can admit we whiffed on the wrong guy.

Flugs is right y'all, just like most of us who had our doubts but hoped (against all logic) that DA would miraculously become a playoff caliber QB.......instead of a 3 and out icon to fellow fans across the league.

Awww... thanks Russ (can't find the blush emotion).

Yeah, I though Frye could become something. He had the intangibles, but obviously ended up lacking in the critical areas. Perhaps in the right system.....

"Earlier this year before free agency began, the Browns rewarded Anderson with a three-year, $24 million contract that will become an issue if Anderson is the backup and Quinn is the starter. You simply don’t pay that kind of money to your backup quarterback. Most teams would love to have a veteran and a young potential franchise player on the roster, but when the expensive QB is the one on the bench, that doesn’t fly with ownership."

Savage was an idiot to do this. It made no sense to me and I said that on this board when it occurred. He could have used the franchise tag. Yes, we could have lost him for a 1 & 3 draft choice. But there are no guarantees. And if you pick up a 1 & 3 for a guy off waivers, you take it and laugh all the way to the bank.

Bad move. BAD MOVE!!!!

Guest Masters
"Earlier this year before free agency began, the Browns rewarded Anderson with a three-year, $24 million contract that will become an issue if Anderson is the backup and Quinn is the starter. You simply don’t pay that kind of money to your backup quarterback. Most teams would love to have a veteran and a young potential franchise player on the roster, but when the expensive QB is the one on the bench, that doesn’t fly with ownership."

Savage was an idiot to do this. It made no sense to me and I said that on this board when it occurred. He could have used the franchise tag. Yes, we could have lost him for a 1 & 3 draft choice. But there are no guarantees. And if you pick up a 1 & 3 for a guy off waivers, you take it and laugh all the way to the bank.

Bad move. BAD MOVE!!!!

If they franchised him, DA could walk for nothing (see Drew Brees in SD). Savage tendered DA for a 1st and 3rd as a RFA. No one took it. So he signed him to a TO-esc contract. One that allowed CLE to cut him lose after this season if he didn't perform.

Awww... thanks Russ (can't find the blush emotion).

Yeah, I though Frye could become something. He had the intangibles, but obviously ended up lacking in the critical areas. Perhaps in the right system.....

and then when brady fails the Great Mikmas/whatevers will say this:

"Brady reminds me of Charlie Frye so much that i think they are clones. He flushes out of the pocket at the slightest threat, tries to outrun 300 lb lineman who are faster than him and then tries the miraculous throw across his body and across the field for the interception. I like him! Trade his ass. I know that nobody remembers my dumbass loveletter posts for brady so here's some more advice:

Lets trade up for Sam Bradford. He's just the bestest!"

Guest Masters
and then when brady fails the Great Mikmas/whatevers will say this:

"Brady reminds me of Charlie Frye so much that i think they are clones. He flushes out of the pocket at the slightest threat, tries to outrun 300 lb lineman who are faster than him and then tries the miraculous throw across his body and across the field for the interception. I like him! Trade his ass. I know that nobody remembers my dumbass loveletter posts for brady so here's some more advice:

Lets trade up for Sam Bradford. He's just the bestest!"

Bwaaaaaa...... No, unlike you and your ORE buddy Lum, I'll say I was wrong and he didn't work out either. Cause I am willing to call a spade a spade.

The fact that you have to go to this level says it all.

Right now, I wish Anderson reminded me of Frye. Because his QBR, Completion percetage, and Y/A we looking higher in 06' than DAs in 08.

Then again, by the time Quinn fails (should he), I'll still be a Browns fan and you'll be on to the next team a ORE player is with and has 8 good games on.

Archived