THE BROWNS BOARD

Cambridge top cop stands by department after Harvard arrest

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I'm especially proud of, is that our President just taught an entire generation of young black men that the reactionary "the cop acted stupidly" is the correct response (but only apologize after somebody questions it).

It fell a little short of an apology Leg.

WSS

Guest Aloysius

From the police report:

As I reached the door, a female voice called out to me. I turned and looked in the direction of the voice and observed a white female, later identified as Lucia Whalen. Whalen, who was standing on the sidewalk in front of the residence, held a wireless telephone in her hand and told me that it was she who called. She went on to tell me that she observed what appeared to be two black males with backpacks on the porch of [redacted] Ware Street. She told me that her suspicions were aroused when she observed one of the men wedging his shoulder into the door as if he was trying to force entry. Since I was the only police officer on location and had my back to the front door as I spoke with her, I asked that she wait for other responding officers while I investigated further."

And from an article published today:

In an interview last night, Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert C. Haas said it was accurate that Whalen did not mention race in her 911 call. He acknowledged that a police report of the incident did include a race reference. The report says Whalen observed “what appeared to be two black males with backpacks on the front porch’’ of a Ware Street home on July 16.

[...]

In an interview at police headquarters last night, Haas said “it was very clear that she wasn’t sure’’ what the men’s race was. He also said that when the dispatcher questioned Whalen for more details, she told police she could only guess about the race of the two men. “She speculated . . . that one might be Hispanic.’’

Hmm. It sounds like if anyone deserves an apology, it's Lucia Whalen.

A one of the officers at the scene backed up the arresting officer totally.

He happens to be black.

The arrogance and hate of the professor caused this whole fiasco.

But do go ahead and change the subject again, Al.

From the police report:

And from an article published today:

Hmm. It sounds like if anyone deserves an apology, it's Lucia Whalen.

What does this have to do with anything? It apparently didn't matter what race they were, she couldn't tell. Obama $%^&%$ up big time.

Guest Aloysius
What does this have to do with anything? It apparently didn't matter what race they were, she couldn't tell.

My whole point was that she couldn't tell. Early in this story - perhaps before you were following it - Ms. Whalen was getting a lot of heat based on two apparently false pieces on information:

1. "How could she not recognize her neighbor?" (She doesn't live in the area)

2. Was she suspicious of these two men because they were black? (She couldn't tell what race they were)
Even before those inaccuracies were corrected, Skip Gates came out and said that Ms. Whalen didn't deserve the criticism she was receiving:

O'BRIEN: A neighbor called 911. I mean, it was a neighbor of yours who said that description, two black men breaking into your house. Are you angry with your neighbor?

GATES: No. In fact I hope right now that if someone is breaking into my house this nice lady is calling the police. I have a lot of valuable art and books in that house. And in fact, I think I'm going to send this person some flowers. I hope she is watching. I know that she must be intimidated and she must think that I'm very angry.

But the Sgt.'s police report made her the first one to mention race, which would have been proper to ID the suspected perps, but it's not something she actually did. According to Ms. Whalen's lawyer, the on scene conversation between the officer and her client never even happened. Because of it, she was subject to unfair criticism and portrayed by some as somehow being prejudiced.

Which gets to my point: Sgt. Crowley is upset that he was depicted as somehow being racist, but the inaccuracies in his police report were responsible for Lucia Whalen being portrayed in the same light. Had his report just said, "Ms. Whalen saw two men of unknown race wedging in the front door," she wouldn't have been criticized at all. And I'm curious how that apparently false piece of information made its way into the police report.

My whole point was that she couldn't tell. Early in this story - perhaps before you were following it - Ms. Whalen was getting a lot of heat based on two apparently false pieces on information:

2. Was she suspicious of these two men because they were black? (She couldn't tell what race they were)
Even before those inaccuracies were corrected, Skip Gates came out and said that Ms. Whalen didn't deserve the criticism she was receiving:

But the Sgt.'s police report made her the first one to mention race, which would have been proper to ID the suspected perps, but it's not something she actually did. According to Ms. Whalen's lawyer, the on scene conversation between the officer and her client never even happened. Because of it, she was subject to unfair criticism and portrayed by some as somehow being prejudiced.

Which gets to my point: Sgt. Crowley is upset that he was depicted as somehow being racist, but the inaccuracies in his police report were responsible for Lucia Whalen being portrayed in the same light. Had his report just said, "Ms. Whalen saw two men of unknown race wedging in the front door," she wouldn't have been criticized at all. And I'm curious how that apparently false piece of information made its way into the police report.

There are ignorant Retards in Boston like Ms. Whalen, check. Got it. Someone's breaking into a house, you call the cops, check. Got it. I would of called the cops if they were midgets, it doesn't matter.

Obama f'ucked up.

Back to the original point of this thread, Obama is still guilty of a rush to judgment on this issue. I don't care about the minutae of this case. Obama should have said that he was unfamiliar with the case and, therefore, is not in a position to comment on it. Also, it is a local issue and it is inappropriate for me to get involved.

Turning it into a racial and national story was due to Obama's miss-speaking. Maybe it was simply a rookie mistake. That is ok as long as he learns a lesson.

The rest of the nitpicking on this board is simply posturing to either support or denounce him to the nth degree.

Funny how our resident paranoid anti-government activist suddenly comes down on the side of the cops arresting citizens in their own home for being "complete assholes" after they're asked to present their ID, and then comply.

Pretty transparent even without the racial slur.

That's not true, sort of.

He had a Harvard ID, not a State of Mass ID, big difference. Crowley wanted the Mass ID. Police officers do not verify a B&E via a college ID.

But anyway, this is one of those deals where everyone was right, everyone could be wrong, and Obama should have stayed out of it. In 30 days we'll forget about it.

Obama learned the most - whatever you say gets blown way out of proportion, so choose your words carefully, or otherwise just STFU. It was embarrassing.

Moral of the story is, if you have a neighbor that lives next to you and is black, dont call 911 when their house is being broken into.

Or else, Obama and his national media of thugs will attack relentlessly.

They must be Obama's civilian national security force.

That's not true, sort of.

He had a Harvard ID, not a State of Mass ID, big difference. Crowley wanted the Mass ID. Police officers do not verify a B&E via a college ID.

But anyway, this is one of those deals where everyone was right, everyone could be wrong, and Obama should have stayed out of it. In 30 days we'll forget about it.

Obama learned the most - whatever you say gets blown way out of proportion, so choose your words carefully, or otherwise just STFU. It was embarrassing.

No, Gates showed him both his Harvard and Massachusetts driver's license. No one disputes this, even the cop.

Good thing we only have reverse-racism to worry about.

"An officer in the Boston Police Department was suspended yesterday for allegedly writing a racially charged e-mail about Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. to colleagues at the National Guard, a law enforcement official said. Mayor Thomas M. Menino compared the officer to a cancer and said he is "gone, g-o-n-e'' from the force.

The law enforcement official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Officer Justin Barrett referred to the black scholar as a " jungle monkey" in the letter, written in reaction to media coverage of Gates's arrest July 16.

Barrett, a 36-year-old who has been on the job for two years, was stripped of his gun and badge yesterday and faces a termination hearing in the next week, said police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll. He has no previous disciplinary record, she said."

Archived