THE BROWNS BOARD

Pastoral Guidance

I read testimonies of Christian  ministers during the Spanish flu 100 years ago who prayed for many sick people and they never got sick. I believe in miracles like this. These ministers though lived modestly and were not interested in becoming multi millionaires, owning luxury cars, or living in mansions. Some of these old time minsters could have been very wealthy as one for instance had a very popular book written (he didn't really write it someone took notes of his sermons). That book alone would have made him a multi millionaiire in his time. He donated every cent of the profits to missions.

There are still a lot of good ministers today like they were but you likely will not see them on television. They are the ones visiting the sick in hospitals, ministering in the prisons, helping to feed the poor and not preaching a prosperity gospel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I read testimonies of Christian  ministers during the Spanish flu 100 years ago who prayed for many sick people and they never got sick. I believe in miracles like this. These ministers though lived modestly and were not interested in becoming multi millionaires, owning luxury cars, or living in mansions. Some of these old time minsters could have been very wealthy as one for instance had a very popular book written (he didn't really write it someone took notes of his sermons). That book alone would have made him a multi millionaiire in his time. He donated every cent of the profits to missions.

There are still a lot of good ministers today like they were but you likely will not see them on television. They are the ones visiting the sick in hospitals, ministering in the prisons, helping to feed the poor and not preaching a prosperity gospel.

Of course that's what you'd hear about. Do you really think the story of a pastor that prayed but everyone died is going to make it to your ears 100 years later? No way. That isn't coming up at your church or your Bible study group

Those pastors are terrible people. I can't imagine they are truly that ignorant. That leaves them as being willfully ignorant in search of game and money. It is the extremist version of being comically left or right wing to appeal to that side. It's one thing if you pretend to be more right wing than you are to sell Trump memorabilia. It's another to do it and put people at risk. 

Normally I'd say fuck it, they all deserve their Darwin award. But that is putting the whole population at risk. And I'd have to think a large portion of his audience are in the high risk category

49 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Of course that's what you'd hear about. Do you really think the story of a pastor that prayed but everyone died is going to make it to your ears 100 years later? No way. That isn't coming up at your church or your Bible study group

One of my favorites from that time was a minister in a large church denomination and they have church archives and documentation of some of the miracles that happened under his ministry. This minister though said he would rather see one person come to the Lord than to see 10,000 healed.

And that is where many miss it today. They are chasing after miracles. I believe in miracles. I've had a few in my life but our focus always has to be on the Lord.

9 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Are you saying that Ernest Angley never healed those people? But he does it right there on live TV!  For all to see!lol

And as the day goes by I think there are still a majority of states that have not cracked down in the manner that Ohio has. If the fear-mongering from the media is correct and the rate of transmission is as high as they suggest these States should be experiencing an epidemic of mass proportions reasonably soon. If their rates are not substantially different Vanessa sterical portions of the country then we will know it was at least partially bulshit.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

And as the day goes by I think there are still a majority of states that have not cracked down in the manner that Ohio has. If the fear-mongering from the media is correct and the rate of transmission is as high as they suggest these States should be experiencing an epidemic of mass proportions reasonably soon. If their rates are not substantially different Vanessa sterical portions of the country then we will know it was at least partially bulshit.

WSS

Just think of the joy of walking down the aisle of your supermarket and seeing rows and rows of shit paper again.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Those pastors are terrible people. I can't imagine they are truly that ignorant. That leaves them as being willfully ignorant in search of game and money. It is the extremist version of being comically left or right wing to appeal to that side. It's one thing if you pretend to be more right wing than you are to sell Trump memorabilia. It's another to do it and put people at risk. 

Normally I'd say fuck it, they all deserve their Darwin award. But that is putting the whole population at risk. And I'd have to think a large portion of his audience are in the high risk category

Well  Woody, all the  Catholic  churches in SW Ohio and the Detroit area are shut down  at least  until  Easter- those I know  for sure.  Probably a majority of  them nationwide.  Masses, meditations, and sermons  on line if you're  interested.  Our parish even went so far to deactivate the electronic keys a couple dozen of us have to be able to get into the  church when we need to for ministry  services. BTW, shutting  down for the  next  three weeks voids 5% of the budget. Some may make catch  up contributions,  but the majority  won't.  I don't  like  fish,  but all  those Lent Friday fish fry fund raisers are toast.

Televangelists... haven't seen a truly God-fearing man preaching on TV since Bishop Fulton Sheen...

One that got me is Jim Baker... yes, that Jim Baker risen from the dead.... hawking his God-water as preventing contracting the virus.

At least God took his hair.... fucker looks like a monk now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Televangelists... haven't seen a truly God-fearing man preaching on TV since Bishop Fulton Sheen...

One that got me is Jim Baker... yes, that Jim Baker risen from the dead.... hawking his God-water as preventing contracting the virus.

At least God took his hair.... fucker looks like a monk now.

BTW Tour, the process has started to declare the Good Bishop a saint....  Some of his TV shows are still around, and can be looked up on YouTube...... LOL, I think Woody needs to watch a few of them.... :D