THE BROWNS BOARD

Just a Thought

Axe

I was reading a discussion about survival stuff yesterday, some poster said "imagine with all this pandemic....if we had our electric grid go down for whatever reason..."

I'd rather not. Enough of reading that discussion. egad.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I was reading a discussion about survival stuff yesterday, some poster said "imagine with all this pandemic....if we had our electric grid go down for whatever reason..."

I'd rather not. Enough of reading that discussion. egad.

I said it several years ago Cal, right after the Great Lake Erie Blackout. The terrorists had the wrong targets. Blow up buildings, kill people? Wrong targets. Take out the national power grid, and you'd have anarchy within a week. 

BTW, I've noticed gun sales have been rather brisk lately...  

28 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I said it several years ago Cal, right after the Great Lake Erie Blackout. The terrorists had the wrong targets. Blow up buildings, kill people? Wrong targets. Take out the national power grid, and you'd have anarchy within a week. 

BTW, I've noticed gun sales have been rather brisk lately...  

It's a concern. We're all electric, but we could cook and heat just great with our fireplace insert...although, the blower is electric, I'd have to install solar power and a battery reserve... or a good generator. Haven't done either one. I'm thinking about it again when all this is over.

Gun sales are brisk - I think it goes back to "desperate times call for desperate measures"... I expect eventually, some instances of crime will happen. But buying a gun without training is seriously bad when you are new to guns. There is online training though.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/podcast/episode-400-new-gun-owners-checklist/

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

It's a concern. We're all electric, but we could cook and heat just great with our fireplace insert...although, the blower is electric, I'd have to install solar power and a battery reserve... or a good generator. Haven't done either one. I'm thinking about it again when all this is over.

Gun sales are brisk - I think it goes back to "desperate times call for desperate measures"... I expect eventually, some instances of crime will happen. But buying a gun without training is seriously bad when you are new to guns. There is online training though.

I have a friend who works at a gun store and he was telling me how fast the ammo and guns went, the scary part was when he told me people were grabbing odd caliber ammo and then asking" Do you have a gun that will shoot these?" 

These people do not seem to have any knowledge of firearms, hopefully the gun store told them no they were out but he was interrupted before he finished the story so I'll have to wait til I see him again.

• Thanks 1

You have to admit this quarantine isn't all that strict. Almost every place still open for business except restaurants and bars. I've been to the grocery store and Walmart a few times and everybody is going out of their way to sanitize every shopping cart and have sanitizing wipes available when you come in and go out.

Yesterday I noticed my neighbors across the street , a nice young couple with a kid, had their groceries delivered and placed on the front steps. After the delivery person was gone she came out and sprayed the bags before she took them in. 

WSS

3 hours ago, Vambo said:

I have a friend who works at a gun store and he was telling me how fast the ammo and guns went, the scary part was when he told me people were grabbing odd caliber ammo and then asking" Do you have a gun that will shoot these?" 

These people do not seem to have any knowledge of firearms, hopefully the gun store told them no they were out but he was interrupted before he finished the story so I'll have to wait til I see him again.

Next door neighbor owns a gun store and looks like they had to close as a non-essential business this past week when the county judge issued stay at home orders. But I already had plenty of CCI .22 HPs for my Henry and my Ruger. More 9mm for my other Ruger. just a couple boxes of 12 gauge for the shotgun, but one shot from that is all it takes to scare most off..And lastly some .357 mags that are loud enough to scare even me. The boom that Blackhawk makes is deafening, even for old deaf vets with their hearing aides out. 🙉

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

My other next door neighbor and I cut up a large old oak tree that died during the drought of 2011 here for firewood about 2-3 months back. We have a bunch stored under a plastic tarp I put over it and have held down by large stones and a couple of old limbs. He & his wife are both just retired multiple gulf war deployed career vets and we share the woodpile. We both have several more old dead oaks we can fell and cut up if it came to that. 

But y'all are all right, thank goodness we have electricity and even more importantly, running water. No toilet paper? Just go naked on the toilet, use you hands a little and jump in the shower with some soap.🚽🚿🧐😍

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My other next door neighbor and I cut up a large old oak tree that died during the drought of 2011 here for firewood about 2-3 months back. We have a bunch stored under a plastic tarp I put over it and have held down by large stones and a couple of old limbs. He & his wife are both just retired multiple gulf war deployed career vets and we share the woodpile. We both have several more old dead oaks we can fell and cut up if it came to that. 

Really cool. I called my ccw instructor friend. He and his neighbors are just fine, his family has plenty of food - they stocked up for years in case something happened. I suppose being in Special Forces for 4.5 years, he's seen a lot, and that is why, but never asked him.

Friends in the neighborhood are calling around, wondering if anyone needs anything. Pretty cool. Note - that freaking doesn't happen very often in regular daily life, except when I had my knee replaced, and when a few other friends had surgeries/injuries.

The better tip of the part of your post about tp? the better and more civilized idea, is to go out to the woods and use moss.

Although, there may not be a lot of moss in Texas.... I could send you some, Tex, but it would get pretty scratchy and dried up by the time it got there..... had we all had the foresight, we could have bought a whole bunch of bags of those little cotton balls and soft gauze....

but moss really works.

56 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Really cool. I called my ccw instructor friend. He and his neighbors are just fine, his family has plenty of food - they stocked up for years in case something happened. I suppose being in Special Forces for 4.5 years, he's seen a lot, and that is why, but never asked him.

Friends in the neighborhood are calling around, wondering if anyone needs anything. Pretty cool. Note - that freaking doesn't happen very often in regular daily life, except when I had my knee replaced, and when a few other friends had surgeries/injuries.

The better tip of the part of your post about tp? the better and more civilized idea, is to go out to the woods and use moss.

Although, there may not be a lot of moss in Texas.... I could send you some, Tex, but it would get pretty scratchy and dried up by the time it got there..... had we all had the foresight, we could have bought a whole bunch of bags of those little cotton balls and soft gauze....

but moss really works.

We have plenty of prickly pear cactus leaves though. Moss is what we had a ton of in my hometown of Beaumont that grew up out of a swamp along the Neches River after oil was discovered at Spindletop https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindletop