THE BROWNS BOARD

FDA approves a new Israeli covid19 treatment. It works !?

calfoxwc

Apparently it does...

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2020/04/10/fda-moves-israeli-covid-19-treatment-with-100-survival-rate-into-clinical-trials/

35 minutes ago, Gorka said:

The company in the source link of the OP article is different than the company in your article, I believe. 

Also the company in the OP article has a sample size of only 6, and it's early. Though it seems promising and I hope it works. 

In your article there's even a paragraph about some people being concerned testing is moving too quickly. I guess we'll see.

Hopefully we can get a safe cure ASAP

I don't know but I would imagine that a cure is a pretty high expectation. Being a virus and a mutated one at that would make me think that it can't be cured. ie cancer and the common cold Etc I would guess a vaccine would be the best hope or that it burns itself out like its grandfather SARS.

My prediction remains that it fades into anonymity when cold and flu season is over.

WSS

10 hours ago, Axe said:

Shocker huh?

I think Sarasota Memorial is one of the test sites. Could be wrong but i saw a blip on Bay news 9 about it this morning.

I hope that is true. My 73 year old oldest woman friend (since 1959) lives in Nokomis just 17 miles away and would likely be interested in this. I'll send it on in an email.

From "Morning Brew" "

Gilead Drug Shows Promise

Remember this word: Remdesivir.

Sure, it’s a bit of a mouthful. But the drug is perhaps the leader in the race to treat COVID-19. 

More supporting evidence came in a study released Friday in the New England Journal of Medicine, the Philips Exeter of medical publications. Remdesivir was developed by California-based biotech Gilead Sciences, which funded the study. 

Here’s what was promising:

• 68% of patients critically ill with COVID-19 improved after being treated with remdesivir. 
  • Lead author Dr. Jonathan Grein: “We cannot draw definitive conclusions from these data, but the observations from this group of hospitalized patients who received remdesivir are hopeful.”

Why can’t we draw definitive conclusions? This study was very small and also didn’t have the all-important “control group” to compare results against. However, that is happening in large-scale, randomized clinical trials currently underway across the globe. 

Bottom line: Some experts don’t think life can go back to normal (and even then it wouldn’t be normal normal) without an effective coronavirus treatment

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

From "Morning Brew" "

Gilead Drug Shows Promise

Remember this word: Remdesivir.

Sure, it’s a bit of a mouthful. But the drug is perhaps the leader in the race to treat COVID-19. 

More supporting evidence came in a study released Friday in the New England Journal of Medicine, the Philips Exeter of medical publications. Remdesivir was developed by California-based biotech Gilead Sciences, which funded the study. 

Here’s what was promising:

• 68% of patients critically ill with COVID-19 improved after being treated with remdesivir. 
  • Lead author Dr. Jonathan Grein: “We cannot draw definitive conclusions from these data, but the observations from this group of hospitalized patients who received remdesivir are hopeful.”

Why can’t we draw definitive conclusions? This study was very small and also didn’t have the all-important “control group” to compare results against. However, that is happening in large-scale, randomized clinical trials currently underway across the globe. 

Bottom line: Some experts don’t think life can go back to normal (and even then it wouldn’t be normal normal) without an effective coronavirus treatment

I am all for testing and finding the best treatment for covid19 but I am skeptical of big pharmacy. We have a drug right now with a whole lot of "anecdotal" evidence of being effective against covid 19 (hydroxychloroquine) so that would be my first choice to run clinical studies to test. 

The problem though this is a cheap easily mfg drug with an expired patent and the money wouldn't be there for the big pharmaceutical companies so of course they will want to find another more expensive profitable drug to replace it.

Again if they find something better that is great but what if they find HDQ is the best option? Will they push it aside to promote a less effective more profitable drug? In my older age I am more skeptical today than ever about what goes on behind the scenes and kept from public view.

3 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I am all for testing and finding the best treatment for covid19 but I am skeptical of big pharmacy. We have a drug right now with a whole lot of "anecdotal" evidence of being effective against covid 19 (hydroxychloroquine) so that would be my first choice to run clinical studies to test. 

The problem though this is a cheap easily mfg drug with an expired patent and the money wouldn't be there for the big pharmaceutical companies so of course they will want to find another more expensive profitable drug to replace it.

Again if they find something better that is great but what if they find HDQ is the best option? Will they push it aside to promote a less effective more profitable drug? In my older age I am more skeptical today than ever about what goes on behind the scenes and kept from public view.

I understand the skepticism OBF, but the N.E. Journal of Medicine is renowned for it's rigorous examination of articles before publication. You can't just throw something their way and expect immediate endorsement without that happening. Not how they operate.

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I understand the skepticism OBF, but the N.E. Journal of Medicine is renowned for it's rigorous examination of articles before publication. You can't just throw something their way and expect immediate endorsement without that happening. Not how they operate.

"Remdesivir was developed by California-based biotech Gilead Sciences, which funded the study."

There is an old saying of follow the money. The same company funding the study is the company who developed Remdesivir and likely has the patent and stands to make huge amounts of money if it ends up being the "go to" drug for covid19.

But again Tex what if hydroxychloroquine is the better alternative but there is no money in it for big pharmacy? Will the truth be told? I am skeptical. 

15 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

"Remdesivir was developed by California-based biotech Gilead Sciences, which funded the study."

There is an old saying of follow the money. The same company funding the study is the company who developed Remdesivir and likely has the patent and stands to make huge amounts of money if it ends up being the "go to" drug for covid19.

But again Tex what if hydroxychloroquine is the better alternative but there is no money in it for big pharmacy? Will the truth be told? I am skeptical. 

I think the medical community is desperate for a cure and they will not let it slide. Whatever works best will be insisted upon by the front line docs.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think the medical community is desperate for a cure and they will not let it slide. Whatever works best will be insisted upon by the front line docs.

I remember before my father passed away he was not happy with his family doctor always prescribing higher priced medications for him and not giving him any choice with generic cheaper meds....until he found out this doctor was heavily invested in the big pharmaceuticals and it was in his own personal interest to push the higher priced drugs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterubel/2017/10/16/physicians-for-sale-doctors-with-strong-financial-ties-to-pharma-prescribe-overly-expensive-drugs/#25d8fb142a3e

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Also Tex 2/3rds of doctors polled world wide said they recommended hydroxychloroquine as the most effective treatment for covid19. It seems obvious that would be where we should be doing the clinical studies but those studies will not be done by big pharmaceutical companies because there is no money in it for them.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Also Tex 2/3rds of doctors polled world wide said they recommended hydroxychloroquine as the most effective treatment for covid19. It seems obvious that would be where we should be doing the clinical studies but those studies will not be done by big pharmaceutical companies because there is no money in it for them.

Where did you get the 2/3 of doctors polled world wide from?  I doubt that.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/13/how-false-hope-spread-about-hydroxychloroquine-its-consequences/

On 4/11/2020 at 6:44 AM, Westside Steve said:

My prediction remains that it fades into anonymity when cold and flu season is over.

WSS

We'd be extremely lucky if it did, but I highly doubt that it's going to play out like that. Nearly every known flu pandemic in modern times has a pattern of coming and going in pulses. COVID-19 will probably slow down in the summer but come back with pulse #2 later in the fall or winter. And with vaccines development being 12-18 months away, the best we can hope for is that our testing and quarantine procedures will have been improved and less chaotic than the previous few months.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Where did you get the 2/3 of doctors polled world wide from?  I doubt that.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/13/how-false-hope-spread-about-hydroxychloroquine-its-consequences/

Here you go..............

Two out of three doctors would take Hydroxychloroquine if they contracted the coronavirus

A new survey of 1200 doctors indicated that 65% of them would prescribe the drug to family members if they contracted the disease, and 67% said they would take the drug themselves. One of the mantras from the left since the coronavirus prompted the current crisis is, “listen to doctors.” Well, here we go…

https://noqreport.com/2020/04/09/two-out-of-three-doctors-would-take-hydroxychloroquine-if-they-contracted-the-coronavirus/

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

LOL

Oh ye of little faith....

Actually Cal it is sad that people can hate Trump so much they root for a drug to fail just because Trump promoted it. 

"The most hated topic for mainstream media is President Trump. The second most hated topic is Hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug that many, including the President, believe may be a valid and potent treatment against the coronavirus. They hate the second because they hate the first, and President Trump has been touting results of the drug’s use for weeks."

That is where I started with "knee-jerking". They go by emotions. They lost the election, the dems hate him for it, hate US for it,

and are desperately trying to keep their hold on our government by nearly? any means necessary. Facts don't matter, the truth doesn't matter, and false charges and faked evidence and belligerent slurs at Pres Trump don't matter to them. It's out of control.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

DH is just honked off the "gotcha" bounced back and hit him in the nose. It's understandable. lol

Here is some more "anecdotal" evidence for hydroxychloroquine

https://twitchy.com/samj-39...

https://nypost.com/2020/04/...

https://www.westernjournal....

https://techstartups.com/20...

https://www.contagionlive.c...