THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

On the NOT list starting in reverse order:

Youngstown, Utica, Newark OH, Kenosha, Hamilton, Gary, maybe Akron.

55 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

On the NOT list starting in reverse order:

Youngstown, Utica, Newark OH, Kenosha, Hamilton, Gary, maybe Akron.

Bold are correct.  And how long have you been a patron of this board?  Surely you must know that the very first NFL Champions  hale from Akron...and yes, Kenosha also had a team.

23 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Bold are correct.  And how long have you been a patron of this board?  Surely you must know that the very first NFL Champions  hale from Akron...and yes, Kenosha also had a team.

Kenosha?  The Fonz at QB?

Middletown Ironton Harrisburg  no team.

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I wasn't sure about Akron kind of a trick answer in the heartland of the NFL..... OHIO.

In the NOT list how about Racine, Rockford, Mansfield, Lexington, Erie and maybe Syracuse.

Just don't strike me as teams I remember.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

In the NOT list how about Racine, Rockford, Mansfield, Lexington, Erie and maybe Syracuse.

Just don't strike me as teams I remember.

Highlighted are correct.   Racine and Mansfield did have teams....though the team in Mansfield did not carry the "Mansfield" name...they were called the Oorang Indians, named after a dog kennel. 

Identify as many of the cities as you can that were NOT   and were once the home of an NFL franchise.    I will list the cities combined alphabetically:

Answers:  Bold and highlighted are cities that have NOT had and NFL team.   the ones not hightlight DID have an NFL team. 

A:  Akron

C. Canton;  Columbus; 

D. Dayton;  Decatur;   Davenport; Duluth

E. Eau Claire; Erie;  Evansville

F. Ft. Wayne

G. Gary

H. Hamilton;  Hammond;  Harrisburg;  Hartford

I.  Ironton

K. Kenosha;  Kokomo

L.  Lexington;   Louisville

M. Madison;  Massillon  Mansfield;  Middletown;  Milwaukee; Muncie

N. Newark  NJ;   Newark OH

O. Orange NJ;   OshKosh

P. Peoria; Portsmouth;  Pottsville;  Providence

R. Racine  Rochester;  Rockford;  Rock Island

S.  Springfield;  Syracuse

T. Toledo,  Trenton

U. Utica

Y.  Youngstown

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Here is Today's Trivia Question:

The Browns have played  11 different teams twice or more in postseason play in their history,  including some teams in the AAFC.

Name these  11 teams.

Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts

Dallas Cowboys

LA Rams

Detroit Lions

Buffalo Bills (AAFC)

Miami Dolphins

Oakland/LA Raiders

Pittsburgh Steelers 

Minnesota Vikings

37 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts

Dallas Cowboys

LA Rams

Detroit Lions

Buffalo Bills (AAFC)

Miami Dolphins

Oakland/LA Raiders

Pittsburgh Steelers 

Minnesota Vikings

These are all Correct.....except the Vikings (only one game)

Three others. 

16 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Of course DEN and maybe the NYG and PHI ?

Oh Jesus I was going through the list in my head and forgot to write Denver! 😁

I went and looked up the rest out of curiousity... I'll play Gipper and say that Denver and the NY Giants are correct (Browns played the NY Giants in a playoff game in 1950, won 8-3 and then beat the LA Rams 30-28 to win their first NFL Title. They lost to the NY Giants in 1958 in a playoff game, the GIants would lose 'The Greatest Game Ever' against the Baltimore Colts the next week). The Browns have never played the Philadelphia Eagles in the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll be shocked if anyone gets this... 

Cleveland doesn't exactly have a long postseason playoff record especially in the last 30 or so years.

31 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Cleveland doesn't exactly have a long postseason playoff record especially in the last 30 or so years.

Yea, well, Dutch can tell you, having looked it up, that you got to go back a lot further than that to get the last answer.

In fact, hint:   the last team is now defunct. 

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, well, Dutch can tell you, having looked it up, that you got to go back a lot further than that to get the last answer.

In fact, hint:   the last team is now defunct. 

I follow the NFL in fact besides you I don't know anyone who follows the very short lived and long defunct AAFC or whatever it's called......or even the defunct XFL.

The BROWNS playoff history is basically in the 1950s and 1980s and not a whole lot more than that.  They have been a poorly run team for the past 30 years or so.   Just sayin'..... without looking it up.

GO BROWNS, just win again.

Just now, mjp28 said:

I follow the NFL in fact besides you I don't know anyone who follows the very short lived and long defunct AAFC or whatever it's called......or even the defunct XFL.

The BROWNS playoff history is basically in the 1950s and 1980s and not a whole lot more than that.  They have been a poorly run team for the past 30 years or so.   Just sayin'..... without looking it up.

GO BROWNS, just win again.

OK, well, that is like ignoring the true full history of things.  Its like saying "I don't follow any American history before the Civil War".

And maybe you should check out what the Browns did in the playoffs in the 1960s as well. 

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And, by the way...even now, with that bad 30 years....they still are like 5th or 6th in numbers of postseason appearances.  I think I did a recent trivia on that. 

logo_3.png.700d3c0ef2c641ee4476557667a8e9cd.png

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

OK, well, that is like ignoring the true full history of things.  Its like saying "I don't follow any American history before the Civil War".

And maybe you should check out what the Browns did in the playoffs in the 1960s as well. 

Two completely different things and not a good comparison.

We know that there was a post WWII football league that quickly folded and that the city of Cleveland was involved before joining the now 100 year old and only surviving and successful professional football league and everything that happened in Cleveland after that.

What happened from 1946-1949 with the AAFC  is largely just a footnote in history, an insignificant blip in the history of football.  The main and enduring part is the only surviving part of football left is the National Football League...... about to be tested with all sports and more this year.

Screenshot_2020-05-26_114833.jpg

45 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Two completely different things and not a good comparison.

We know that there was a post WWII football league that quickly folded and that the city of Cleveland was involved before joining the now 100 year old and only surviving and successful professional football league and everything that happened in Cleveland after that.

What happened from 1946-1949 with the AAFC  is largely just a footnote in history, an insignificant blip in the history of football.  The main and enduring part is the only surviving part of football left is the National Football League...... about to be tested with all sports and more this year.

logo_3.png

It is a perfectly apt comparison.  It is someone dismissing the entire origins of an entity.  That is very Steeler fan thinking on your part...how embarassing for you. 

Besides, you are wrong, the AAFC did not fold, it merged into the NFL.   In fact, the league was thereafter call the National-American Football League for a (short) period.  Not only did the leagues merge, some teams merged.   The LA Dons and LA Rams merged.  And actually the Buffalo Bills merged into the Browns fyi. 

Those teams that came into the NFL from the AAFC in fact have won  at least 13 NFL Championships in the years since.  Also, while the name National-American Football League name did not endure, they did rename the conferences in the NFL to National and American....a tradition upheld to this day after the later merger.  

American (Eastern) Conference National (Western) Conference
Chicago Cardinals (Comiskey Park) Baltimore Colts (Municipal Stadium)
Cleveland Browns (Municipal Stadium) Chicago Bears (Wrigley Field)
New York Giants (Polo Grounds) Detroit Lions (Briggs Stadium)
Philadelphia Eagles (Shibe Park) Green Bay Packers (City Stadium)
Pittsburgh Steelers (Forbes Field) New York Yanks (Yankee Stadium)
Washington Redskins (Griffith Stadium) Los Angeles Rams (Los Angeles Coliseum)
  San Francisco 49ers (Kezar Stadium)

The last thing in the world I want to do is get into a bs discussion about the folded and defunct AAFC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-America_Football_Conference

The All-America Football Conference (AAFC) was a professional American football league that challenged the established National Football League (NFL) from 1946 to 1949. One of the NFL's most formidable challengers, the AAFC attracted many of the nation's best players, and introduced many lasting innovations to the game. However, the AAFC was ultimately unable to sustain itself in competition with the NFL. After its folding, three of its teams were admitted to the NFL: the San Francisco 49ers, the Cleveland Browns and the original Baltimore Colts (not to be confused with the later Baltimore Colts team, now the Indianapolis Colts).

It was unable to sustain itself, failed, folded, disappeared, it's defunct, gone, *poof*.

Oh please EOM.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The last thing in the world I want to do is get into a bs discussion about the folded and defunct AAFC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-America_Football_Conference

The All-America Football Conference (AAFC) was a professional American football league that challenged the established National Football League (NFL) from 1946 to 1949. One of the NFL's most formidable challengers, the AAFC attracted many of the nation's best players, and introduced many lasting innovations to the game. However, the AAFC was ultimately unable to sustain itself in competition with the NFL. After its folding, three of its teams were admitted to the NFL: the San Francisco 49ers, the Cleveland Browns and the original Baltimore Colts (not to be confused with the later Baltimore Colts team, now the Indianapolis Colts).

It was unable to sustain itself, failed, folded, disappeared, it's defunct, gone, *poof*.

Oh please EOM.

Folded is the wrong term...  As I said, the leagues merged. If the AAFC had "folded"  then there would not have been  3-4 teams from it that went into the NFL.

Here is the same source:  Wikipedia:

Merger[edit]

On December 9, 1949, two days before the AAFC title game, the two leagues made peace. Three AAFC teams were admitted to the NFL: the Browns, 49ers, and Colts. The Dons merged with the Rams,[28] while the Bills, Yankees and Hornets folded. The enlarged league was renamed the National–American Football League.

The Browns and 49ers, as the AAFC's two strongest teams, were obvious choices: San Francisco was also a natural fit as a geographic rival to the Rams, who were alone on the West Coast at the time.

The third choice was the subject of some debate.

There was some sentiment to admit the Bills rather than the Colts. The Bills had better attendance despite only making the playoffs twice, and had much wealthier ownership. However, Buffalo's size (only Green Bay was smaller) and climate were seen as problems.[29] While Redskins owner George Preston Marshall had long objected to the Colts' proximity to Washington, he ultimately decided that the Colts would be a natural rival to the Redskins. He agreed to accept a $150,000 fee to waive his territorial rights.[2]

Buffalo fans petitioned the NFL to admit the Bills as well.[30][31] The league, realizing the pitfalls of having an uneven 13-team league, held a vote on admitting the Bills. While a majority of owners (including the Browns, 49ers and Colts) were willing to take the Bills, the final vote was only 9–4 in favor. League rules of the time required a unanimous vote to admit a new team. Buffalo owner Jim Breuil was content to accept a minority share of the Browns. Breuil even rebuffed an offer from the next-best pro league in the nation at the time, the minor-league American Football League of the late 1940s, to join their league.

The Yankees' players were divided between the Giants (who chose six players) and Bulldogs (who received the rest). Three Bills players were awarded to the Browns. The remaining Bills, Dons, and Hornets entered a dispersal draft.

With the AAFC Yankees gone, Bulldogs owner Ted Collins was free to rename his team "Yanks" and move into Yankee Stadium. He continued to lose money, however, and sold the team after two seasons to Dallas-based interests, who relocated the team to Dallas and called the team the Dallas Texans.[32]

The word "American" did not remain in the enlarged league's name for long; it was dropped in March 1950. Although "National" and "American" became the names of the league's new conferences, within three years the conferences were renamed Eastern and Western. It was not until the AFL–NFL merger twenty years later that the "American" and "National" conference names were restored.

The AAFC–NFL merger [edit]

The NFL and the AAFC merged prior to the season, announced on December 9, 1949.[1][2] Three AAFC teams — Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, and Baltimore Colts — joined the NFL intact. The players of the formerAAFC New York Yankees team were divided up between the New York Giants and the New York Bulldogs (who changed their name to New York Yanks), the Los Angeles Dons and Los Angeles Rams merged, and a portion of theAAFC Buffalo Bills was absorbed into the Browns organization. A special draft was then held by the league's 13 teams to allocate the rest of the AAFC players.

The 13 teams were realigned into the American and National conferences, which lasted for three seasons. The merged league briefly flirted with the name "National-American Football League",[1][2] but restored the name "National Football League" a few months later on March 3, 1950. [1] Under the alignment, both conferences had a team in New York and Chicago. The "American Conference" (formerly the Eastern Division) had six teams including the Giants and the Cardinals, and the "National Conference" (the old Western Division) had seven teams including the Yanks and the Bears, as well as the Baltimore Colts.

Baltimore was declared a "swing team" and played one game against each of the other 12 NFL clubs. The original intent of the merger was to have the popular Cleveland Browns serve as this team for two years to equally help gate receipts throughout the league, however, this was refused point blank by Paul Brown. Over a 13-week season, one team was idle each week while the other 12 met in the six scheduled games. Each team played a home-and-away game against the other five teams in their conference, one game outside the conference, and one game against Baltimore over the course of a 12-game schedule.

The league also established the Pro Bowl in the 1950 season. Though the league had attempted an all-star game annually between 1938 and 1942, it had cancelled the game because of World War II and did not revive it when the war ended. Unlike the previous all-star game format, which pitted the league's most recent champion against the league's best all-stars, the Pro Bowl would pit two all-star teams, one from each conference, against each other.