THE BROWNS BOARD

Donovan Peoples-Jones

MLD Woody

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

What a concept, right? Gip's like a middle school kid from 15 years ago

Sorry if you can’t handle someone else’s opinions. I’m sorry that you can’t stand the history of America. I’m not sure why you feel so threatened by baseball. 

I think one point that might be getting missed here re: baseball is the assumption that everyone watching a sport wants to be glued to their seat with excitement for the whole game. Fuck all that. The ebb and flow and relative relaxed nature of baseball is one of the things l enjoy about it. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Sorry if you can’t handle someone else’s opinions. I’m sorry that you can’t stand the history of America. I’m not sure why you feel so threatened by baseball. 

Gip, I'm not calling you a middle schooler because of your opinion on baseball

I'm calling you one because you use "gay" as an insult. 

31 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think one point that might be getting missed here re: baseball is the assumption that everyone watching a sport wants to be glued to their seat with excitement for the whole game. Fuck all that. The ebb and flow and relative relaxed nature of baseball is one of the things l enjoy about it. 

True. In the Indians games I'm been to it seems like most fans there are doing something besides watching the game.

I'm used to, and prefer, non stop standing and cheering in a student section for 3+ hours completely engaged in what's going on.

17 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Gip, I'm not calling you a middle schooler because of your opinion on baseball

I'm calling you one because you use "gay" as an insult. 

OK, well, as I said...it was YOUR generation that converted the use of the term "gay" to mean  "weak/lame". ....or, were you not aware of that?  Apparently I, the old guy, am more in tune with what your generation is doing that you are.  I just thought I would use that so that you could understand.   Apparently not. 

So, fine....just substitute weak and lame in for gay...and maybe you can comprehend. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK, well, as I said...it was YOUR generation that converted the use of the term "gay" to mean  "weak/lame". ....or, were you not aware of that?  Apparently I, the old guy, am more in tune with what your generation is doing that you are.  I just thought I would use that so that you could understand.   Apparently not. 

So, fine....just substitute weak and lame in for gay...and maybe you can comprehend. 

Damn you're insufferable. What is/was your occupation again? 

And yeah, we did. And most people have also completely grown out of it. It's weird to see an elderly person not only adopt the terminology and then stick with it in 2020.

19 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

True. In the Indians games I'm been to it seems like most fans there are doing something besides watching the game.

I'm used to, and prefer, non stop standing and cheering in a student section for 3+ hours completely engaged in what's going on.

Actually.  I think you are wrong...or you are lying.  People ARE watching the game at baseball.  Its just that, yes, there is time between pitches to like look over here, look over there....look at your phone.  Etc.  Just like there is time between football plays.  So, you could be just as accurate to say that people watching a football game are doing something besides watching a game.   I do know that I certainly do "more other things"  while watching football game than I do watching a baseball game.

And NEVER have I seen crowds of any kind at a college soccer game....and I went to a school with one of the best college soccer programs in the country.    And what I see on TV, the fans there are NOT engaged watching a game...but are engaged in socializing, and singing etc. .  When on rare occasion there is some action in the game, sure they pay attention...on those rare occasions.  Just like any sport. 

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

Damn you're insufferable. What is/was your occupation again? 

And yeah, we did. And most people have also completely grown out of it. It's weird to see an elderly person not only adopt the terminology and then stick with it in 2020.

Lets put it this way....maybe you have outgrown the language....but you have not outgrown the actualness of what it means.  You and your arguments and the game that you like that bores most people are still lame/weak/gay.   Of course, in my generation we too had words that stood in for weak and lame.  I doubt you would comprehend them however. 

13 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Again, insufferable lol.

But per your wish, you can continue to suffer. 

Did you have a career in law like I thought someone said? If so that would make perfect sense

What makes sense is that you have yet to grow the fuck up.   So worried over this......trying to pretend you are too cool for school over it.  You aren't.  You are just being a baby.   So try a little maturity first.....and maturity is NOT  pretending that certain things you may have said or done when you are young are now to gauche for you.   That is just disingenuous.    Weak/lame/gay. 

3 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The ebb and flow and relative relaxed nature of baseball is one of the things l enjoy about it. 

I hear ya.  It's great to take a nap with the ball game on.  You're only aroused when the crowd and announcers get excited....the rest of the time you can snooze.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I hear ya.  It's great to take a nap with the ball game on.  You're only aroused when the crowd and announcers get excited....the rest of the time you can snooze.

Hey, if baseball can get people aroused I understand why it's popular among the older folk

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What makes sense is that you have yet to grow the fuck up.   So worried over this......trying to pretend you are too cool for school over it.  You aren't.  You are just being a baby.   So try a little maturity first.....and maturity is NOT  pretending that certain things you may have said or done when you are young are now to gauche for you.   That is just disingenuous.    Weak/lame/gay. 

You have to be a lawyer because now you're defending your use of gay as a derogatory term by attacking me for not using it lol

6 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

TI'm used to, and prefer, non stop standing and cheering in a student section for 3+ hours completely engaged in what's going on.

I did not know you were an Aggie...

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

You have to be a lawyer because now you're defending your use of gay as a derogatory term by attacking me for not using it lol

If you want to think that gay (as in weak/lame)   is a derogatory term to be applied to you I won't burst your bubble.   But that is not the primary derogatory term that can be applied to you:   Phony, immature, fatuous, jejune.  Each a more apt term. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I can't buy a custom Peoples-Jones jersey because his last name is too long for the "Name" field on the shop site!

What about "Peeps-Jones"?

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

maybe you have outgrown the language....but you have not outgrown the actualness of what it means

He's saying he matured.  You know, like a human.

You allowed his statement that he matured.. and then asserted that you possess secret knowledge to claim that he didn't "really" mature. 

See, here's the thing: The fact that he doesn't use it..... IS the maturity.  The measure is the outward action, NOT something internal.  Being a part of a community is defined by your actions.  

Hopefully unintentionally, but it's actually a red herring argument to introduce the notion of someone's "true" self.. even that concept asserts as fact the notion that people never change, which is something I'd never allow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

He's saying he matured.  You know, like a human.

You allowed his statement that he matured.. and then asserted that you possess secret knowledge to claim that he didn't "really" mature. 

I allowed that he has gotten older, not matured.  We all get older every day.

See, here's the thing: The fact that he doesn't use it..... IS the maturity.  The measure is the outward action, NOT something internal.  Being a part of a community is defined by your actions.  

I say that claiming that he no longer uses such terms is only the pretense of maturity.  It is a facade.  Like I said, an attempt to be "too cool" to use that term.  A truly mature person would not have to present such a facade.  A mature person is secure in his maturity such that when/if he uses those terms it is a showing that external judgments upon him for said use do not phase him.  I can certainly us any term that I may have used at any time in my life...or at any time in history, and there would still be no question about my maturity.   I have no need at pretense at "coolness".   Right On, Brother?   Groovy.   It might be hip to be square, but it ain't hip to pretend to be square. 

Hopefully unintentionally, but it's actually a red herring argument to introduce the notion of someone's "true" self.. even that concept asserts as fact the notion that people never change, which is something I'd never allow.

Well, I think certainly people can be entrenched in some of their thinking, but I would never allow that someone cannot make changes in their attitudes and thinking here or there.   

One pertinent example:   When he was with FMU we  Browns/Buckeye fans  wouldn't give a damn for the whole state of Donovan Peoples-Jones;  but not that he is a Cleveland Brown....he is fully welcome into the fold of the loving arms of Cleveland Browns fans.  While, as a 6th rounder, there may be no expectation of great success, as now a Brown, there is great hopefulness thereof. 

claiming that he no longer uses such terms is only the pretense of maturity.  It is a facade.

Prove it..

it ain't hip to pretend to be square

You're not supporting an assertion that he's exhibiting a facade.. by repeating the assertion.  

A truly mature person would not have to present such a facade.

First, you haven't shown in any way that anything is a facade.. second, you're better than attempting to define something by stating what you think it's not.  

No picket fences here.. and for the love of God, ix-nay on strawmen.

57 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Prove it..

You're not supporting an assertion that he's exhibiting a facade.. by repeating the assertion.  

First, you haven't shown in any way that anything is a facade.. second, you're better than attempting to define something by stating what you think it's not.  

(any scientist can tell you that that is a very common method of leading to knowledge and understanding:  knowing what something is not)

No picket fences here.. and for the love of God, ix-nay on strawmen.

It is all inherent.    To quote a philosopher:   I can merely shine a light, I cannot open your eyes to see. 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It is all inherent.    To quote a philosopher:   I can merely shine a light, I cannot open your eyes to see. 

You need to go over to the polyboard then. They can't even read Braille yet.