THE BROWNS BOARD

Smoking

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/national/susan-jones/surgeon-general-more-people-will-die-cigarette-smoking-coronavirus

So for any politician or any of our friends here on the board who are actually concerned (not just as a political issue) about protecting human life at all cost is there any possible reason you wouldn't champion the idea of making tobacco possession and sale similar to street heroin? Personally I think smoking is just a bad choice and I don't really believe secondhand smoke is that much of a factor but some people do I suppose. Is the tax money just to alluring for the ruling class to give up?

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/national/susan-jones/surgeon-general-more-people-will-die-cigarette-smoking-coronavirus

So for any politician or any of our friends here on the board who are actually concerned (not just as a political issue) about protecting human life at all cost is there any possible reason you wouldn't champion the idea of making tobacco possession and sale similar to street heroin? Personally I think smoking is just a bad choice and I don't really believe secondhand smoke is that much of a factor but some people do I suppose. Is the tax money just to alluring for the ruling class to give up?

WSS

no, there is a subculture of entitlement and irresponsibility in our country. They make a mistake? get pregnant? Just murder the unborn/born child, "it doesn't matter, she is not responsible for murder, she's entitled to be free of responsibility to raise the child, after all, that is a lot of work."

The left demands zero accountability for their self-destructive actions, don't care about their country, our Flag, themselves or anybody else.

They want easy street and diversion from responsibility. and they want an income so they don't have to be responsible for themselves and work for a living. They want everything handed to them just like....

a participation trophy they got in grade school. like woodpecker.

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

People choose to smoke cigarettes

People don't choose to get infected by COVID

Death from cigarettes isn't contagious

That's it. Literally right there. They aren't apples to apples. The playbook might still say "downplay Covid with things that have higher death numbers" but anyone with a brain can understand why they're different.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

People choose to smoke cigarettes

people choose to drink and drive and it's illegal. Quite possibly the other person involved in the accident is sober. Fancy that.

People don't choose to get infected by COVID

you can certainly choose to stay in quarantine Woody.

Death from cigarettes isn't contagious

so you don't believe in secondhand smoke either. Good for you.

That's it. Literally right there. They aren't apples to apples. The playbook might still say "downplay Covid with things that have higher death numbers" but anyone with a brain can understand why they're different.

Just pointing out how very little saving lives matters. Unless it affects politics.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

- The effects of a singular accident on all parties in that kind of situation is far more immediate and far more encompassing.   Drinking is legal,  driving is legal. In a vacuum alone,  neither are harmful to other individuals so I fail to see an overwhelming point you're making here.   You would have to make one or the other (or both) illegal to present a solution.

- Not everyone has the benefit of complete isolation.

- Secondhand smoke is a thing.   Generally one that takes a grand amount of pro-longed exposure.   Viral count does not.  This is a false comparison. 

- Lives matters little when it affects politics or economics, eh? 

36 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

- The effects of a singular accident on all parties in that kind of situation is far more immediate and far more encompassing.   Drinking is legal,  driving is legal. In a vacuum alone,  neither are harmful to other individuals so I fail to see an overwhelming point you're making here.   You would have to make one or the other (or both) illegal to present a solution.

- Not everyone has the benefit of complete isolation.

- Secondhand smoke is a thing.   Generally one that takes a grand amount of pro-longed exposure.   Viral count does not.  This is a false comparison. 

- Lives matters little when it affects politics or economics, eh? 

In a vacuum alone? That's kind of a reach there isn't it?

COVID in a vacuum alone is not harmful others. Your rationale is out of order.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Christ Steve that whole response was idiotic. Seems like Tia took care of the response already though. 

Honestly this is real basic shit

- Drunk driving puts others at risk

- Essential employees and others cannot stay in quarantine

- If course I believe in 2nd hand smoke typical Steve. There's a reason why smoking is banned in public in most places. So when it is affecting others it's illegal. When it's affecting one person it's not. 

- You're reaching for multiple gotchas here and, with just the slightest amount of common Sense, none of them are landing. 

Idk if you're seeing people protesting cuz they can't get a haircut and you're thinking "I want to be a part of something like that" or what, but all of the "points" you're trying to connect very clearly don't. 

1 minute ago, Gorka said:

In a vacuum alone? That's kind of a reach there isn't it?

No.  If I drink on my couch in my apartment watching TV and never leave my couch, whom else is at risk of being harmed in my immediate area?   Nobody.

If I jump in my car and hit the store at the end of the block and safely make it back, whom as been harmed?  Nobody. 

13 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

No.  If I drink on my couch in my apartment watching TV and never leave my couch, whom else is at risk of being harmed in my immediate area?   Nobody.

If I jump in my car and hit the store at the end of the block and safely make it back, whom as been harmed?  Nobody. 

If

and

If

Woody's response that people choose to drive and smoke, they don't choose COVID, is the most rational one. Yours is a reach.

Just now, Gorka said:

If

and

If

If I have COVID and stay quarantined I harm nobody either.

Woody's response that people choose to drive and smoke, they don't choose COVID, is the most rational one.

Provided you don't require medical assistance or supplies of any kind?  Then...sure? I guess?

Just now, tiamat63 said:

Provided you don't require medical assistance or supplies of any kind?  Then...sure? I guess?

It's safe to say the vast majority that are recovering at home don't.

And don't be in such a hurry to respond. I had deleted that part.

2 minutes ago, Gorka said:

It's safe to say the vast majority that are recovering at home don't.

And don't be in such a hurry to respond. I had deleted that part.

That's fair. But those who can't recover at home can still tally into the millions.  That's a very big problem to deal with. 

And I'm not in a hurry, I'm watching Jacob Phillips and your notification is hitting my desktop.  

• Haha 1