THE BROWNS BOARD

Tucker May Retire!

Brownshirt

It wouldn't surprise me. He's been through alot in the last 3 seasons. In 06, he went AWOL. In 07 he got busted for steroids, so he missed time there as well. In 08, he was only able to help us out for 1 or 2 games tops. This guy should have retired last year. I think alot of people want to see the same guy they saw in 2002 but that was 7 years ago.

I think St Clair is coming off one of his better seasons as a run blocking beast, Pork Chop can back him up if he doesn't win the starting RG spot from Hadnot. Foster can also backup either tackle. And worst case scenario we still have "Hurricane Ike" Sowells.

Thomas - Steinbach - Mack - Womack/Hadnot - St Clair

I've gotta a good feeling we're gonna be able run the ball well enough to set up the play action passing game.

- Tom F.

That right side scares the hell out of me in pass protection. Hadnot was a liability last year and Alo posted some not so flattering film of St Clair.

I agree on Tucker's age, but man I was hoping we'd get one last productive year out of him before we had to invest in the right side through the draft.

Hadnot allowed the least amoutn of sacks on the line, only allowing 1.5 sacks for the season. How was he liable in pass protection? He had two duds in Shafer and Fraley on both sides of him yet he still held his own on the weaker side of the line (compared to Eric & Thomas).

Only issue I see is right tackle, we have no legitimate tackle. We are putting some guards and scrubs in the position to find out who will be suitable.

Hadnot may have "rated" as giving up 1.5 sacks last year on some obscure stat site, but the eyes don't lie: we sucked up the middle last year in pass protection. That isn't all on Fraley. St Clair next to Hadnot is hardly a done deal. I'm willing to bet they don't start next to each other just yet. If they do.... I hope I'm proven wrong on the pass blocking concern. At least its our QBs' throwing side. ;)

If he retires my projection of 11-6 goes to 9-7, our ine is amazing when he's there

If he retires we may have a tough time even playing 500 ball, unless mangini can get a quality replacement.

Im still not sold on hadnot, i wish we hadnot gotten him.

That right side scares the hell out of me in pass protection. Hadnot was a liability last year and Alo posted some not so flattering film of St Clair.

I agree on Tucker's age, but man I was hoping we'd get one last productive year out of him before we had to invest in the right side through the draft.

You're not the first person that has voiced your concern about the right side in pass protection so there's others feeling you. Matt Forte had a strong season running the ball in Chicago, which is what excites me about St Clair. He's a 10 year vet starting for the 3rd team seeking his services so he can't be THAT bad. I'm sure we can find enough bad film on every 10 year vet if we need to. He's replacing Kevin Shaffer who didn't have the best reputation for protecting passers either. We scored 0 offensive TDs in the final 5-6 weeks of 08. The Bears were so excited about adding Kevin Shaffer that they decided to sign Orlando Pace afterward. Plus they're hoping former 1st round pick Chris Williams from Vandy can step up to the plate and justify his draft slot after back surgery in 08.

I also understand there's mixed reviews about Hadnot. However, he will have to be good enough to start over Womack. OG is all about chemistry and gelling with the neighbors to the right and left. If Shaffer was a weakness and priority #1 was to replace Fraley - we're looking at both sides of a forgettable chemistry for Hadnot. Don't forget Philly upgraded Fraley 3 years ago right? He became available when he wasn't excited about 2nd string. Many moons ago, I played OG next to a great Tackle and a high intensity Center. Nothing better than trusting the guy next to you when you've busted tail to protect a passer or create daylight for a running back.

When Shaff first arrived - I couldn't tell who was worse between him and Andruzzi. A BIG part of that is the tv cameras follow the football rather than isolate in on the oline play. At 1 time we had the demoted Fraley, the Brontosaurus fossil Andruzzi and the Matador Shaffer. This became the rationale for the following upgrades: Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach and Alex Mack. 60% of our line is capable of elite caliber performance. The other side (40%) will be manned by experienced starters. Our 2002 oline didn't have any elite guys but that didn't stop them from helping us win 9 games. On paper (without injury) this line is alot better than that one.

George Foster was a high round pick out of GA to supply the depth. We also have "Hurricane Ike" Sowells working to show why he's still here.

- Tom F.

we shouldn't pay so much attention to the oline, the steelers just won a sb with one of the worst oline's in recent memory for a superbowl winning team.

Yeah, having the best defense in the league can do that.

If Tucker retires I have a feeling we might be looking to bring in another veteran during camp. He was one of the best lineman we brought in during free agency under Butch Davis. But we have been playing ball without him. Like someone else said he went crazy and AWOL during 06, got busted for roids in 07 and played one game last year. It's hard to miss someone that hasn't really played that much the last couple of seasons. Pre Thomas and Stieny he was our best lineman no doubt.

Unfortunately its not likely ryan tucker has a whole healthy season left and last year hadnot had not he had 2 below average players beside him but he didnt stand out at least in my mind maybe this year hadnot will have some...;)

Archived