THE BROWNS BOARD

Observation for Friday 7/31

The Gipper

Here are my weekly observations on various topics:

1. OK, everyone is in camp for the Browns. Everyone is happy right? Except maybe Josh Cribbs. You want more money Josh? Earn it. Grab that #2 WR position by the throat and make it yours....or that WildDawg QB position. Word is however that you are NOT grasping either concept. Until you do, shut it.

2. I would not object to Michael Vick coming here to play for the Browns. Firtst off, I don't believe football players should be placed on a pedastal...nor placed at the bottom of a well for their good and bad actions. You can go down to the Justice Center every single day of the week and observe members of society who have done things as bad or worse than Vick. This is not to discount the heinousness of his actions, but he did his time, and now, the only thing I give a rat's ass about is whether or not he could help the Browns win. He is not a member of my family or a friend. Thus the only use his life is to me personally is if he can help my team to be victorious.

3. The Indians should be completely boycotted for their ineptness. No, it is not ineptness, it is purposeful. They are taking intentional specific actions to make this team lose. Thus NO ONE should spend a farthing on this team. Not a single ticket should be purchased the rest of this season. Those who have bought tickets should bite the bullet and stay home so they won't spend a penny on parking, concessions, souvenirs, paraphenalia, etc. The Dolans need to sell, bottom line.

4. OK, so, I have booked myself a vacation to the Cayman Islands. Anyone been there? Any advice?

5. OK, so, perhaps it was foolish of me to book a vacation to the Cayman Islands as I learned that my son will be attending the 4th most expensive college in the USA. (Thank goodness for his scholarships though that will pick up 70-80% of the cost).

6. We have had a comparatively mild summer....lets hope it continues. Hate those hot sticky days (unless I am sitting on a beach next to the ocean at somewhere like the Cayman Islands)

7. The Steelers success is attributable primarily to the management capability of Dan Rooney and his son, and to the defensive coaching ability of Dick LeBeau. But, Steeler fans for the most part are too stupid to know this. They think that THEY are the reason for their team's success because they are such AVID fans. In the words of Sherman T. Potter: Mule fritters. Give that team 10 years of basic losing as the Browns had had and all those avid fans would jump ship faster than rats.

8. Another group of deluded fans are those of SEC football. They think that just because they have had a few years of success in the BCS title game that the entire region is now vindicated for losing the Civil War! (or, should we remind them that is West Virginia had not choked against Pitt 2 years ago, the national title game would have been OSU vs. W.Va. instead of the 2 loss LSU).

9. Speaking of the Civil War, author Harry Turtledove wrote an "alternative history" series about what it would be like if the Confederacy had won the Civil War. What do you think it may be like now if the South had "won"...or at least stalemated the Civil War such that an independent nation would have bee born out of those southern states?

10. Welcome to the fans of the Buffalo Bills who are having two of their members inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Bruce Smith and owner Ralph Wilson Jr. Never forget that Wilson was the one owner most critical of Modell actions in trying to move the team and was only one of 2 or 3 that voted against it. (I believe the others were Rooney...and believe it or not...Al Davis)

Have a great weekend

The Gipper

Cribbs needs to just man up and prove himself useful to the new coach and he will then get a new contract the way i see it he is obligated to the current contract he signed but i would love to see mankok give JC an incentives package as an act of goodwill and things to come if things work out because everyone who loves football knows cribbs took a bad deal that would have been rectified by the past regime....;)

The Steelers success is attributable primarily to the management capability of Dan Rooney and his son, and to the defensive coaching ability of Dick LeBeau. But, Steeler fans for the most part are too stupid to know this. They think that THEY are the reason for their team's success because they are such AVID fans. In the words of Sherman T. Potter: Mule fritters. Give that team 10 years of basic losing as the Browns had had and all those avid fans would jump ship faster than rats

Agree with this totally. I live in this town of arrogant, fair-weather fans. They sell their tickets at record speed when the team starts to lose (tommy maddox years). They would never sustain loyalty and attendance like Browns fans have for so long.

They succeed because of stability. Their players never have to WORRY about what bone-headed moves upper management may make. There is no mystique about it. In the same way stable families, businesses, churches etc thrive is the reason for Steeler success. Don't tell the fans that, though. They still believe there's some magic swill that leaked from the mills into the river water that magically makes their team special.

I guess the Pirates drink bottled water.

Regarding your #3 ......." the Indians made a better trade when they got rid of Manhattan"

Living in Vegas now I don't follow the Tribe as much when they're losing. But trading away 2 Cy Young Award winners in consecutive seasons? Wow that is blatant piss poor ownership.

Living in Vegas now I don't follow the Tribe as much when they're losing. But trading away 2 Cy Young Award winners in consecutive seasons? Wow that is blatant piss poor ownership.

The tribe is returning to the ways of the past, a farm system for the majors. A sin tax should be reimbursed to the fans, what we built should house a winner.

Yeah, the SEC is terribly overrated based on a couple of years of success. I mean, they've only won five out of the eleven BCS national championships. That's less than half! And when it comes to being the runner-up, forget it! Ohio State has more of those than the entire conference put together. Also, if West Virginia hadn't have lost, Ohio State might have been able to stay within a couple of touchdowns in the national championship game, which just goes to prove that LSU wasn't that good a team that year. Really people, it's just basic math.

Dennis

And when it comes to being the runner-up, forget it! Ohio State has more of those than the entire conference put together.

The same BCS that put the SEC in the NC games, also picked Ohio State 3 times. The Buckeyes are doing something right. Doesn't neccessarily mean the BCS should have put Ohio State there, but they were a damn good football team with Troy Smith, Antonio Pittman and Teddy Ginn. That was a pretty good offense, and losing Ginn was a kick in the balls they never recovered from. Florida wasn't that much better than Ohio State - especially with Ginn. No way. Yeah it is an excuse for sure, but no way Florida is 41-14 better, and Troy Smith wasn't a 4-14 for 35yds bad either.

I'm not knocking OSU per se--they have been the class of the Big Ten for quite a while now--but I've noticed a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of especially Big Ten fans toward the SEC in particular. To me, it just seems like saying, "Hey, us too!" As a conference, though, the Big Ten just isn't all that great at the moment. These things are cyclical, so they will be great in the future, but the future ain't now.

There are a couple of different ways to look at it: can the best teams in the conference compete with the best teams in another? If Ohio State plays Florida ten times, how many does each team win? If we're going on last year's teams, I would say Florida wins seven times. The #2s would be a more interesting matchup, as I could see Penn State and Alabama going either way.

How about the middle of the conferences? Then you're looking at, what, Georgia, LSU, and Mississippi against--and please correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't follow the Big Ten nearly as close as I do the SEC, so I'm guessing at the middle of the conference--Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa. Again, at the moment, I'd put my money on the SEC teams.

Even the bottom quarter favors the SEC. Tennessee and Michigan are both outliers, as they're usually much higher, so take those with a grain of salt. Still, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Mississippi State versus Northwestern, Michigan, Purdue, Indiana.

As I said, it's not like this is always how it's been or how it will always be. But right now, top to bottom, the SEC isn't just more hyped than the Big Ten, it's better. I would say that it's the best conference in the country, but the Big 12 is better from top to bottom at the moment.

Dennis

#8- SEC Football

Yes, it is very good. However, I really would like to see one of these schools travel north of Kentucky & west of Louisiana for an out -of- conference game once in a while. Before all the SEC defenders chime in, I'd also like to say that my Buckeyes should beef up their non-conference schedule too (Akron, Ohio, Kent, BG, it's getting old).

1. OK, everyone is in camp for the Browns. Everyone is happy right? ...

Yup. Mangini and Kokinis doing well so far, as someone mentioned in another thread.

- They've run a tight ship

- They ran a working man's draft

- They've quelled tempers and befriended Shawn Rogers after an accidentally rocky start

- They've done everything possible to keep up DA's value

- Now, they have all draft picks in camp

- Cribb's agent twittering he's on the way to meet with the Browns & Cribbs (dialog remains open)

- They're looking at our favorite underplayed back, Jerome Harrison, for more playing time

- They opened the earliest rookie camp in the NFL - which has a let's-get-after-it feel

- They've had a no-drama approach, and shipped out the biggest drama queen on the team (Winslow)

- These guys seem to get it

I feel this is an in-the-trenches AFC North approach. Smoke and mirrors doesn't do crap in this division. You need toughness, smarts, and depth.

Let's get rolling. T-minus 16:08 until the opening of camp in the morning.

Yeah, I'm liking it.

Grand Cayman island is a nice place, GREAT shopping, a lot of shops.

One thing: Don't underestimate the sun - it can fry you red if you forget the sun lotion,

or it isn't waterproof.

Another thing - we were on a cruise, and several of us went snorkeling. It was beautiful. But, we went on the undersea wreck "adventure cruise"...

it was about three ??? hundred yards off the dock.

The better bet is to take the stingray snorkeling tour. It's further out a good ways, and far more of an "adventure".

#8- SEC Football

Yes, it is very good. However, I really would like to see one of these schools travel north of Kentucky & west of Louisiana for an out -of- conference game once in a while. Before all the SEC defenders chime in, I'd also like to say that my Buckeyes should beef up their non-conference schedule too (Akron, Ohio, Kent, BG, it's getting old).

I agree with that. There are some interesting non-conference games on some teams schedules (Alabama-Virginia Tech and Georgia-Oklahoma State should be particularly good games), but Florida's non-con schedule, especially, is a joke. I've heard the argument that when you play in the SEC, you don't need to load up on non-con opponents to prove you're tough, but come on. For the record, not that they're relevant at the moment, but Tennessee has future games scheduled with Oregon, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and, circle your calendars for 9/1/2018 and 9/7/2019, a home and home with Ohio State. Which means that the Buckeyes will probably get a team that's rebuilding after the firing of Lane Kiffin's replacement.

Dennis

9. Speaking of the Civil War, author Harry Turtledove wrote an "alternative history" series about what it would be like if the Confederacy had won the Civil War. What do you think it may be like now if the South had "won"...or at least stalemated the Civil War such that an independent nation would have bee born out of those southern states?

The South would have had much less Federal Govt influence and states would have had more power, but the slavery issue would have eventually broke down the system. States that wanted to keep it vs states that did not would have caused plenty of the pro-slavery states to secede from that country. Plus, without slavery - which wasn't why the South fought (it was over state's rights) - the system would have collapsed economically. Just my .02

#3...I feel somewhat vindicated. I got RIPPED last night for stating I was done supporting the Indians until Dolan sells. Thank you!

#5...What pride you must feel. Your son was not only good enough to be accepted to a top notch school, he earned wonderful scholarships in so doing. Congrats to him & to you for obviously raising him well.

#8...I am sick & tired of hearing OSU (and others) getting ripped for losing to SEC teams & their "quickness". I am curious as to how much quickness they would have at season's end if their smaller & faster players were hammered every week in the Big 10? I maintain that speed IS a positive factor, but these teams play in much different environments.

Good post..lots of "food for thought".

Mike

So what do you think of Leonard Little playing in the NFL? If you don't know who he is, he's a defensive end that plays for the Rams, he got drunk and killed a person.

And he's not the only one, our very own stallworth did the same damn thing

I may be mistaken, but I never saw you call for a lifetime ban for these guys.

So my question to you is this, what makes a dogs life more valuable than a humans life?

It's just a question man, so don't go all crazy on me...

dogs are nicer ;)

Here are my weekly observations on various topics:

7. The Steelers success is attributable primarily to the management capability of Dan Rooney and his son, and to the defensive coaching ability of Dick LeBeau. But, Steeler fans for the most part are too stupid to know this. They think that THEY are the reason for their team's success because they are such AVID fans. In the words of Sherman T. Potter: Mule fritters. Give that team 10 years of basic losing as the Browns had had and all those avid fans would jump ship faster than rats.

10. Welcome to the fans of the Buffalo Bills who are having two of their members inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Bruce Smith and owner Ralph Wilson Jr. Never forget that Wilson was the one owner most critical of Modell actions in trying to move the team and was only one of 2 or 3 that voted against it. (I believe the others were Rooney...and believe it or not...Al Davis)

Have a great weekend

The Gipper

Take a bow my man - that was fantastic. Thank you!

Cribbs is one of my favorite players and here's why. The first time he got a chance after Phil Savage uttered we didn't have anyone on the roster that could replace Dennis Northcutt in the return game - it was a noticable upgrade to the tune of Pro Bowl. We were CONSTANTLY giving Dumb Ass the football to start drives near midfield. The 2nd Steeler game of 2007, he had 2 kickoff returns over 94 yards. All he needed was the training and the opportunity. You can't be a great special teams player if you lack heart, soul and work ethic. He's a great example like Byner used to be so I'm hoping the brass makes it happen for him.

I see NO reason Cribbs can't pleasantly surprise us 1 more time if he's trained to be a slot receiver or running back as long as he gets CONSISTENT reps. If the Browns aren't consistent with him how can they expect him to be consistent back? The last brass was frustrating. Harrison comes in makes things happen and they plant his fanny on the pine. Make sense? It shouldn't. Quinn gets drafted in round 1 and they give him a clip board for 2 years and tell him to learn the art of NFL passing from Ken Dorsey. Are ya FREAKIN kidding me?

I like Mike Furrey but he's 2-3 years removed from his breakout season. Kind of a 1 year wonder with potential but not Cribbs-like potential in the open field. Hines Ward was once a STs standout but I think he helps them more as an everydown player. Just thinking out LOUD...

Thanks again Gipper!

- Tom F.

Just something I was talking about the other evening....If you were born in 1970, in Pittsburgh, then you've really never experienced any long time losing streaks.... Your team won most of the time and you have 6 rings to be proud of... When the losing begins you'll see tons of fans jumping off that bandwagon and go into 1970's brain freeze for the rest of their lives....

Peace

T.Dawg

Just something I was talking about the other evening....If you were born in 1970, in Pittsburgh, then you've really never experienced any long time losing streaks.... Your team won most of the time and you have 6 rings to be proud of... When the losing begins you'll see tons of fans jumping off that bandwagon and go into 1970's brain freeze for the rest of their lives....

This to me is a jealous sentiment that most Browns fans share, of which I disagree. (Not directed @ you personally bull1) There certainly are some Steelers fans who "jumped on the bandwagon" but at least they have one to jump onto. But seriously speaking, I highly doubt there are so many that make up Steeler Nation that if they start losing 40-50% of their fans will jump off. They're great fans.

As if Browns fans corner the market on rabid support.

Archived