THE BROWNS BOARD

An Incalculable Loss...

Tour2ma

Or, ya know, one of those things actually being contagious

Again, amazing some are so politically biased it affects how they view an infectious disease and pandemic. 

Scientific issues getting politicized is a problem. As stated in another thread, an increase in scientific illiteracy and misinformation is a danger to society. Hive mind / echo chambers online and more older folks that didn't come up with the internet and learn how to distinguish what a legitimate source is just adds to it. 

The people falling for Facebook links and OANN links today are the ones getting scammed on QVC tomorrow

my gosh you are a notoriously ignorant bigot.

"scary old people"

"scary some people"

"scary illiterate in science people"

greta woodpecka strikes again.

41 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Covid is a disease- you're talking about a habit. Apples and oranges. In case you forgot- we tried banning alcohol- and it didn't work. Smokers would have their little tobacco plant garden in the back yard if we tried the same. 

No I'm talking about DEATHS apples to apples...one CAN be prevented one is still an unknown with considerably fewer DEATHS which one is an issue for November?

We pretty much took the direction every other country did in shutting down things. Now if you're in the "Give me Liberty and Give me Death" crowd who thinks we should have gone the Swedish route and gone about business as usual- I'd hazard a guess we'd be approaching those smoking death totals right now.  Be proud America is #1 in the world- in covid deaths- with those restrictions. And we do know the virus can spread like wildfire- and it's a lot more lethal in symptomatic cases than flu that some folks like to drag up as a comparison. 

I'm saying if you truly want to save lives why would you concentrate on the one you can't stop at this point in time and not the one which you can stop which kills at a greater rate?

Keeping people out of work will only result in greater suffering and death.

5 minutes ago, Vambo said:

I'm saying if you truly want to save lives why would you concentrate on the one you can't stop at this point in time and not the one which you can stop which kills at a greater rate?

Keeping people out of work will only result in greater suffering and death.

Now your tilting at windmills- ban smoking? Lotsa luck there....  

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Now your tilting at windmills- ban smoking? Lotsa luck there....  

Same with trying to keep people out of work and not able to move around freely...good luck with that.

25 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Same with trying to keep people out of work and not able to move around freely...good luck with that.

So you are part of the Live Free, and Die crowd. I don't have any problems with that. You responded before I could edit my post. Nice Yahoo article with a comprehensive national poll. What's worse, another 200,000 covid deaths, or another 30,000,000 Americans out of work for a year? I sure as hell know what your response would be without even asking. Call me "undecided". It covered a bunch of other questions- and the responses were amazingly predictable depending on what side of the political fence you happen to be on. I have news for you - the MAGA POV isn't the only one out there. You just might be singing another tune if a good friend or relative kicks off from the disease. I've said elsewhere, not in regard to the virus- but when you start doing serious mountaineering involving rock climbing- you're taking a calculated risk, a mistake could get you killed. I was damn lucky when I landed a 300+ pound boulder on my foot and didn't break it- it would have been call for the helicopter if I had...  That said, If you think your personal virus risk is minimal- be my guest. But as Gipper said in the Browns Forum- we'll be more than happy to put flowers on your grave if you guess wrong. 

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Or, ya know, one of those things actually being contagious

Again, amazing some are so politically biased it affects how they view an infectious disease and pandemic. 

Scientific issues getting politicized is a problem. As stated in another thread, an increase in scientific illiteracy and misinformation is a danger to society. Hive mind / echo chambers online and more older folks that didn't come up with the internet and learn how to distinguish what a legitimate source is just adds to it. 

The people falling for Facebook links and OANN links today are the ones getting scammed on QVC tomorrow

Yeah and shut up Cal, Woody has a point. You don't make a conscious decision to "get" corona. Smoking involves a choice. And Vambo spouting an impossibility doesn't help his case saying smoking is worse. Sure it is. OOOHHHH so how you not going to get covid? Just maybe by making smart personal decisions?  Or not smoking? DUH!!! I could (but I won't) post a poll Yahoo recently did on just how badly the covid crisis has been politicized, and the responses are damn near 100% predictable based on your political POV. Reason being, I don't want them to get any ideas the conspiracy theorists have that Bill Gates contributed $300 million to develop a vaccine so he could implant microchip tracking devices in the recipients, or covid is transmitted by 5G towers. Some of these guys will believe anything....  

I'll share this- one that I've never forgotten- regarding the above. Involving good old Congo Nick- our resident wild & crazy ER Doc that kept a significant Buck knife in his boot. They brought in a guy who was obviously DOA that had been shot in the chest. Nick rips him open with the knife and starts doing open heart massage- when he had been shot through the heart. He gives up after a minute and I ask Nick- "so what killed him?" Turns to me and said- "Larry, it was his bad lifestyle choice that got him."   100% true story.  So go ahead and smoke, party like it's 1999, or hide behind your couch- your choice. .  

PS- regarding QVC- I have to wonder how many of those maroons got roped in buying "act now" 1 ounce Federated Mint "Ohio" silver bars for $135  dollars- with the spot price of silver being $17 bucks. As PT Barnum said- "there's a sucker born every minute". :)  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Yeah and shut up Cal, Woody has a point. You don't make a conscious decision to "get" corona. Smoking involves a choice. And Vambo spouting an impossibility doesn't help his case saying smoking is worse. Sure it is. OOOHHHH so how you not going to get covid? Just maybe by making smart personal decisions?  Or not smoking? DUH!!! I could (but I won't) post a poll Yahoo recently did on just how badly the covid crisis has been politicized, and the responses are damn near 100% predictable based on your political POV. Reason being, I don't want them to get any ideas the conspiracy theorists have that Bill Gates contributed $300 million to develop a vaccine so he could implant microchip tracking devices in the recipients, or covid is transmitted by 5G towers. Some of these guys will believe anything....  

yeah like Donald Trump is raking in a huge windfall from hydroxychloroquine because he has some stock in some company that makes it. So do I by the way. BFD. Usually it's the guys on the left or the Neo left that are up in arms about being tracked. TDS and ODS make for some strange bedfellows huh?

I'll share this- one that I've never forgotten- regarding the above. Involving good old Congo Nick- our resident wild & crazy ER Doc that kept a significant Buck knife in his boot. They brought in a guy who was obviously DOA that had been shot in the chest. Nick rips him open with the knife and starts doing open heart massage- when he had been shot through the heart. He gives up after a minute and I ask Nick- "so what killed him?" Turns to me and said- "Larry, it was his bad lifestyle choice that got him."   100% true story.  So go ahead and smoke, party like it's 1999, or hide behind your couch- your choice. .  

PS- regarding QVC- I have to wonder how many of those maroons got roped in buying "act now" 1 ounce Federated Mint "Ohio" silver bars for $135  dollars- with the spot price of silver being $17 bucks. As PT Barnum said- "there's a sucker born every minute". :)  

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

So you are part of the Live Free, and Die crowd. I don't have any problems with that.

Hyperbole.

You responded before I could edit my post. Nice Yahoo article with a comprehensive national poll. What's worse, another 200,000 covid deaths, or another 30,000,000 Americans out of work for a year? I sure as hell know what your response would be without even asking. Call me "undecided". It covered a bunch of other questions- and the responses were amazingly predictable depending on what side of the political fence you happen to be on. I have news for you - the MAGA POV isn't the only one out there. You just might be singing another tune if a good friend or relative kicks off from the disease.

Ah yes, time to play the guilt trip card. If a friend or relative died from it I would be just as shocked and saddened as if he had died in a car accident. An unfortunate case of bad luck. Knowing what we know about this disease, he would have been in his 70's or 80's and had preexisting conditions. And yes age does make a difference.

I've said elsewhere, not in regard to the virus- but when you start doing serious mountaineering involving rock climbing- you're taking a calculated risk, a mistake could get you killed. I was damn lucky when I landed a 300+ pound boulder on my foot and didn't break it- it would have been call for the helicopter if I had... 

That said, If you think your personal virus risk is minimal- be my guest. But as Gipper said in the Browns Forum- we'll be more than happy to put flowers on your grave if you guess wrong. 

Both ambiguous and hyperbole. You're insinuating that if you catch COVID there's a great chance you're gonna die. That is completely false. The ambiguity is  "personal virus risk". Do you mean the risk of catching it or the risk of dying from it?  The chance he dies from it is extremely low. That is a fact.

What's your point in all of this anyway? That we should remain undecided and flip flop  because you do? I have yet to read a post with so much doubletalk. That first sentence set the tone.

Spare me your MAGA POV rhetoric. There was a time when I went from being all in, to being undecided, to being highly skeptical...not due to the fact that I'm a conservative, but due to the facts and evidence that continue to pile up exposing this as an unwarranted hysteria.

The latest...A CDC report stating that COVID doesn't live long on surfaces after all. And you wonder why Dr. Birx said she doesn't trust anything the CDC says anymore.

"

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

no, Hoorta - his first line had a point - one was contagious and one wasn't - the rest of his post was far more stupid than you want to admit. That was MY POINT. He rarely ever has a legit point - name one time when you disagreed with woodpecker trolling.

Gosh, I don't remember one time.  I never said the smoking vs covid thing. Go back and READ honestly.

"moderate" means only arguing with conservatives on the board and never criticizing anything a trolling lefty TDS poster says.

Gettin obvious to keen observers, I must say.

20 hours ago, Gorka said:

Don't be so critical of word usage just to chime in. Yes I do know exactly what message is being conveyed, and so do you. Sensationalism as a tool to politicize.

Never have I heard of anyone who lost a loved one refer to their loss as "incalculable". Have you? That's sounds Retarded.

It's possible that due to the losses being large in numbers "incalculable" by the NYT is meant to reflect the effects of the losses...what these people could have contributed to society that is unmeasurable. So I may be wrong, but you definitely are.

Incalculable is still bunk anyway. As if 90% of these deaths were 30 yr. olds

Yeah, a loss is only bad if that person is 30. 

You're a fucking clown and not much else.      Get that grill out and enjoy the weather, we're done here.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Covid is a disease- you're talking about a habit. Apples and oranges.

not quite. Cigarettes don't kill you. Lung cancer heart disease emphysema COPD etc etc kill you. Cigarettes just make it easier. And I don't think covid-19 kills you pneumonia emphysema heart disease COPD kill you Etc made worse by covid. And according to the left can be easily wiped out by standing six feet away from somebody and wearing a mask. Oh yes and by reverting Society to the 18th century.

😏

In case you forgot- we tried banning alcohol- and it didn't work. Smokers would have their little tobacco plant garden in the back yard if we tried the same. 
We pretty much took the direction every other country did in shutting down things. Now if you're in the "Give me Liberty and Give me Death" crowd who thinks we should have gone the Swedish route and gone about business as usual- I'd hazard a guess we'd be approaching those smoking death totals right now.  Be proud America is #1 in the world- in covid deaths- with those restrictions. And we do know the virus can spread like wildfire- and it's a lot more lethal in symptomatic cases than flu that some folks like to drag up as a comparison. 

WSS

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

So you are part of the Live Free, and Die crowd. I don't have any problems with that. You responded before I could edit my post. Nice Yahoo article with a comprehensive national poll. What's worse, another 200,000 covid deaths, or another 30,000,000 Americans out of work for a year? I sure as hell know what your response would be without even asking. Call me "undecided". It covered a bunch of other questions- and the responses were amazingly predictable depending on what side of the political fence you happen to be on. I have news for you - the MAGA POV isn't the only one out there. You just might be singing another tune if a good friend or relative kicks off from the disease. I've said elsewhere, not in regard to the virus- but when you start doing serious mountaineering involving rock climbing- you're taking a calculated risk, a mistake could get you killed. I was damn lucky when I landed a 300+ pound boulder on my foot and didn't break it- it would have been call for the helicopter if I had...  That said, If you think your personal virus risk is minimal- be my guest. But as Gipper said in the Browns Forum- we'll be more than happy to put flowers on your grave if you guess wrong. 

They make it illegal not to wear a mask but can't make it illegal not to smoke...really?

They are letting criminals out of prison as not to catch corona but lock people up for not wearing a mask really?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Mayor Lightfoot Sends Armed Police To Shut Down Black Baptist Church

By Geller Report Staff - on May 25, 2020

Virginia governor makes attending church a criminal offense

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/virginia-governor-makes-attending-church-a-criminal-offense-52677?fbclid=IwAR31nwFoK_kSe5ZofCKxGg31eMPxxkFGkcxAcgOfdYP4lBNXzp3lqo7rLyY

But they can't outlaw SMOKING?

LA Sheriff Shuts Down All Gun Stores, Releases 1,700 Inmates

by S.H. Blannelberry on March 24, 2020

But they can't outlaw SMOKING?

100,000 is a statistically irrelevant number, especially when many of them were in nursing homes which is the last stop. As for world War 2 vets and holocaust survivors...world War 2 ended 75 years ago.  How long do you expect people to live? Forever? Do you think people live forever?

On 5/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, Gorka said:

Which one is Obama?

On 5/25/2020 at 7:16 AM, Canton Dawg said:

This one.

E2E3AC96-1022-4236-A466-635DFB324F02.jpeg

29 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

But then what exactly did you have a case of when you posted the Photoshopped picture of Obama? (Literally a few posts up)

It was a reply to Gorka’s question.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

This thread reminds me...  anybody seen or heard from OBF lately?  Old boy seems to have wandered off the face of dee Earf. 

OBF left - he was disappointed in how the forum was going. Too bad. I hope he comes back, but I'm sure he has

a lot of better things to do.

Just now, calfoxwc said:

OBF left - he was disappointed in how the forum was going. Too bad. I hope he comes back, but I'm sure he has

a lot of better things to do.

Wow, you guys ran an Evangelical Christian off of the board for being too right wing... Damn