THE BROWNS BOARD

DA Is Not The Problem

beyster

Surely he's getting blamed, but the problem is the WR core and Jamal Lewis.

#1: The primary target, Braylon Edwards, drops way too many easy passes. If he caught half the passes he dropped (a league high 18) we'd be 6 and 2 instead of 3 and 5 (Redskins, Steelers, Ravens, all three games he had critical 4th quarter drops that would have won us the game). He needs to STFU talking about other Teammates and play like a man.

#2: The WR's behind him are special teams players at best. Cribbs and Steptoe can't shake milk and can't catch herpes, they suck as WR's plain and simple. We need to make Stallworth the go to guy as well as put Winslow outside.

#3: Lewis has hit the wall, you could see it last year that he was near done. Harrison plays way better and is more tailor made for this offense, which is a fast paced, quick strike offense.

Brady Quinn won't fare well with this group simply based on what I just posted.

Watch.

I can't recall too many folks blaming the 3-5 start on just DA, but the fact remains we've had way more than enough time to determine he's not the future of this team.

Let's see what Quinn does with twenty some starts.

I can't recall too many folks blaming the 3-5 start on just DA, but the fact remains we've had way more than enough time to determine he's not the future of this team.

You're missing the point.

If the skill players around you lack talent or aren't playing up to their talent, how can you succeed?

If the skill players around you lack talent or aren't playing up to their talent, how can you succeed?

No, you're missing the point my friend, we've seen enough of DA regardless. His flaws are out there for everyone to see and his numbers over the last year of starting are godawful.

You think he's the only QB in the league that doesn't have everything going his way?

Drew Brees goes 26-30 with no starting WR's and two linemen out. DA has never seen those kind of numbers in his life.

All you gotta do is watch the guy. Hell, he doesn't even know how to run a high school two minute drill, let along complete a screen pass.

No, you're missing the point my friend, we've seen enough of DA regardless. His flaws are out there for everyone to see and his numbers over the last year of starting are godawful.

You think he's the only QB in the league that doesn't have everything going his way?

Drew Brees goes 26-30 with no starting WR's and two linemen out. DA has never seen those kind of numbers in his life.

All you gotta do is watch the guy. Hell, he doesn't even know how to run a high school two minute drill, let along complete a screen pass.

Drew Brees also has a running game (Bush and Duce) and some back up WR's that can start on 30 teams. not to mention more than 5 years experience.

Guest Masters

#1: The primary target, Braylon Edwards, drops way too many easy passes. If he caught half the passes he dropped (a league high 18) we'd be 6 and 2 instead of 3 and 5 (Redskins, Steelers, Ravens, all three games he had critical 4th quarter drops that would have won us the game). He needs to STFU talking about other Teammates and play like a man.

#2: The WR's behind him are special teams players at best. Cribbs and Steptoe can't shake milk and can't catch herpes, they suck as WR's plain and simple. We need to make Stallworth the go to guy as well as put Winslow outside.

#3: Lewis has hit the wall, you could see it last year that he was near done. Harrison plays way better and is more tailor made for this offense, which is a fast paced, quick strike offense.

Watch.

While DA is not the only problem, he is a problem. There are a few flaws in what you just said.

#1: WPD has already showed that even if you gave DA those catches, and a couple of extra TDs, he'd still be at the bottom of the league in ranking (and a completion percetage still in the low 50%). Also, the drop in BALT still wasn't a TD (notice BE is getting tackled as he dropped it). So there are no guarantees there is even a score on that drive.

#2: Wasn't it Steptoe getting up in the Jax game? Wasn't it also him making plays against 3rd and 4th string DBs in preseason w/ Quinn at the helm. Yet against 3rd and 4th string DBs against BALT he can't? People said CHI had no WR and that is where WR go to die. Yet you remove strong armed, stare down, can't read a D Rex, replace him with Orton, and suddenly they can catch and make plays. Same thing in MIN and ATL. WPD has also put up the numbers to show DA goes to Winslow and BE 70% of the time. A little hard for other receivers to get involved when you barely look there way or throw there way.

#3: See the Lewis thread. Despite playing against 4 top 10 Ds, he is still in the top 15 in yards (while on the middle to lower side of # of carries to the guys above him). While DA has faced the same type of thing regarding pass Ds, yet is at the bottom of the league in completion % and QBR.

Throw in the confusion on O that one must give DA some blame for (see end of last season where guys were looking at DA and shaking their head at him, Winslow, BE, and JJ), along with the debocles of 2 minute drills this year (I mean jesus, you sneak for 1 yard, get a first with time running, your head seat goes out, and you have to go to the sidelines to ask if you should take a TO or spike the ball? Come on man. I knew that crap at 12 years old playing madden and joe montana football).

Unless Quinn is no better of a leader or student of the game than awe shucks DA, CLE fans will see a more crisp looking offense. By no means do I expect to see CLEs passing game suddenly look like it did the first 6 games of last season, but it will move the chains more this week, and the next few. At the same token, I am sure there will be some plays where Quinn will make rookie starter gaffs, just like Rogers has had this season.

You don't have to be in football or around a team to know a real leader of men when you see it. DA is not that. When your QB is not truly a general, the old "quick sand" analogy very quickly can set in. When your QB falls into that trap (which DA does), the whole offense follows.

The funny thing is, you read BEs quote today about Quinn in the huddle or what BE said before the Giants game to the sideline reporter about him in the huddle tells you the difference. Never once have I heard any Browns player talk about DAs command of the huddle, poise, or calm in the huddle. Yet that is what you hear about Quinn.

(disclaimer, I am not actually comparing Quinn to Montana with this): When players talk about the Joes first SB, they talk about even when they were down, Joe is in there joking with the guys talking about "did you see so and so celeb in the stands over there". He was relaxed and calm. That is never how I picture DA at all. I see him scrambling to look at the giant play book he carries on his arm (only QB to still be carrying one of those and dudes ain't done that in 10 years). It says a lot about him.

I heard the same shit about Frye... then Anderson steps into the same lineup and lights it up.

No position influences the team around him so much as a quarterback. By far.

This is a pretty damn good cockpit, especially in the protection area. Anderson was part of the problem, not the solution.

No, we KNEW Charlie Frye couldn't play.

You know, I bet none of you were this critical of DA last year when he made the pro bowl and saved our season.

Anderson was part of the problem, not the solution.

That's the ticket, and it doesn't mean it's the wrong decision if Quinn struggles out the gate, either.

It's a decision that flat out had to be made. They tried it (amongst a ton of doubts from fans like us) and it didn't work.

It's time to move on, period.

Guest Masters

But those same guys had talent (some were calling BE the best WR in the game before the season, I called them on crack) and were hitting their potential last year, yet now can't play? O's go as the QB goes. Guys lose faith in their QB, they get alegator arms and don't play as hard. It ain't right, but that isn't just in football. Your boss starts making dumb mistakes and not leading, does all those under him still perform to their max ability? No, they don't.

You know, I bet none of you were this critical of DA last year when he made the pro bowl and saved our season.

Wanna bet?

A bunch of us were pointing out issues with DA's game last year and were told that he was the reason for the success of the team. Now, it is because of everyone else that he's regressed even moreso from the last half of last year.

Guest Masters
I heard the same shit about Frye... then Anderson steps into the same lineup and lights it up.

This is a pretty damn good cockpit, especially in the protection area. Anderson was part of the problem, not the solution.

I was. I was all over his ass last season from the OAK game on.

By the way, where is this imaginary running game of NO? They are averaging less yards a game than CLE is, for a lower Y/C average, w/ slightly more rushing attempts a game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bytea ... at=Rushing

I think you might need to try that link. If you don't like Yahoo, try NFL.com, or any other site that has stats.

If you would have titled this thread "DA is not the ONLY problem", then you could sell some of this stuff.

Winslow is ranked 8th.

BE, despite the drops, is in the top third of WR's

Jamal is in the top half of running backs.

DA is ranked 31st in a league of 32 teams. He's the lowest ranked offensive player we have.

I know one guy DA misses, and that is JJ. He bailed his out a ton last year with his size and hands making the tough catch on the shitty pass.

Edwards and Winslow propagated off his game originally, but soon regressed over a period of distrust and inaccuracy. It was written all over their body language going back to last year and many of us noted it.

Watch.

While DA is not the only problem, he is a problem. There are a few flaws in what you just said.

#1: WPD has already showed that even if you gave DA those catches, and a couple of extra TDs, he'd still be at the bottom of the league in ranking (and a completion percetage still in the low 50%). Also, the drop in BALT still wasn't a TD (notice BE is getting tackled as he dropped it). So there are no guarantees there is even a score on that drive.

#2: Wasn't it Steptoe getting up in the Jax game? Wasn't it also him making plays against 3rd and 4th string DBs in preseason w/ Quinn at the helm. Yet against 3rd and 4th string DBs against BALT he can't? People said CHI had no WR and that is where WR go to die. Yet you remove strong armed, stare down, can't read a D Rex, replace him with Orton, and suddenly they can catch and make plays. Same thing in MIN and ATL. WPD has also put up the numbers to show DA goes to Winslow and BE 70% of the time. A little hard for other receivers to get involved when you barely look there way or throw there way.

#3: See the Lewis thread. Despite playing against 4 top 10 Ds, he is still in the top 15 in yards (while on the middle to lower side of # of carries to the guys above him). While DA has faced the same type of thing regarding pass Ds, yet is at the bottom of the league in completion % and QBR.

Throw in the confusion on O that one must give DA some blame for (see end of last season where guys were looking at DA and shaking their head at him, Winslow, BE, and JJ), along with the debocles of 2 minute drills this year (I mean jesus, you sneak for 1 yard, get a first with time running, your head seat goes out, and you have to go to the sidelines to ask if you should take a TO or spike the ball? Come on man. I knew that crap at 12 years old playing madden and joe montana football).

Unless Quinn is no better of a leader or student of the game than awe shucks DA, CLE fans will see a more crisp looking offense. By no means do I expect to see CLEs passing game suddenly look like it did the first 6 games of last season, but it will move the chains more this week, and the next few. At the same token, I am sure there will be some plays where Quinn will make rookie starter gaffs, just like Rogers has had this season.

You don't have to be in football or around a team to know a real leader of men when you see it. DA is not that. When your QB is not truly a general, the old "quick sand" analogy very quickly can set in. When your QB falls into that trap (which DA does), the whole offense follows.

The funny thing is, you read BEs quote today about Quinn in the huddle or what BE said before the Giants game to the sideline reporter about him in the huddle tells you the difference. Never once have I heard any Browns player talk about DAs command of the huddle, poise, or calm in the huddle. Yet that is what you hear about Quinn.

(disclaimer, I am not actually comparing Quinn to Montana with this): When players talk about the Joes first SB, they talk about even when they were down, Joe is in there joking with the guys talking about "did you see so and so celeb in the stands over there". He was relaxed and calm. That is never how I picture DA at all. I see him scrambling to look at the giant play book he carries on his arm (only QB to still be carrying one of those and dudes ain't done that in 10 years). It says a lot about him.

#1: I did see the drop. He FELL when he dropped it, he wasn't tackled. Even if he was tackled, had he made the catch, we have momentum back and we at least kick a field goal, putting more pressure on Baltimore.

#1A: If BE and the rest of those sad sacks caught the easy passes they dropped, DA's QB rating goes up. can't have a good QB rating if they're dropping balls.

#2: You're counting preseason games? That shit doesn't count for a reason. he manned up in ONE game all season, where are we, week what? That's a weak argument.

#3: Lewis is 14th because if you look at the RB's below him, they're either back ups or starters who've missed chunks of time due to injury.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...=2&d-447263-n=1

As far as the 4th quarter blunders goes, it's on Romeo Crennell, he's a fuck up and he will be fired and we will get a MANLY coach like Marty or Cower and we'll be returned to prominence, because this team has no heart.

Blame DA all you want, but those of us that KNOW football know he's not the problem.

Oh, boy, Bey. I can't imagine you being any more wrong.

We started seeing Anderson's inconsistency pretty early last season. In the last 7 games, he had more picks than TDs and a Frye-esque 72 passer rating. He made the Pro Bowl on the first half of the season.

In fact, in the last 16 starts, his passer rating was 72. Not starter material.

Even Brady had trouble in the later half of the season last year. The weather gets cold, passing becomes an issue. That's not a secret.

"Blame DA all you want, but those of us that KNOW football know he's not the problem."----Beyster

You can have the title of best fan if you think DA is the criteria and standard for a good QB.

It's all you.

I was. I was all over his ass last season from the OAK game on.

By the way, where is this imaginary running game of NO? They are averaging less yards a game than CLE is, for a lower Y/C average, w/ slightly more rushing attempts a game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bytea ... at=Rushing

I think you might need to try that link. If you don't like Yahoo, try NFL.com, or any other site that has stats.

I never said they had the best running game, I said they had better skilled players.

Hey Beyster... have you taken over Cumbergh's role of sucking DA's wanker???

You two clowns must be related.

I think with my brain, not with my heart.

Question: Does your brain honestly tell you that Derek Anderson is a quality QB......a winner......a guy who keeps drives alive.......a guy who knows the game.............a guy who is accurate and dependable........a guy that doesn't stare down receivers.......a guy that doesn't get balls knocked down constantly.......a guy who can manage a two minute drill.....a guy who shows up in crunch time........a guy who makes his teammates around him better........a guy that doesn't rank almost dead last in QB rating????????????

Guest Masters

Watch.

#1: I did see the drop. He FELL when he dropped it, he wasn't tackled. Even if he was tackled, had he made the catch, we have momentum back and we at least kick a field goal, putting more pressure on Baltimore.

#1A: If BE and the rest of those sad sacks caught the easy passes they dropped, DA's QB rating goes up. can't have a good QB rating if they're dropping balls.

#2: You're counting preseason games? That shit doesn't count for a reason. he manned up in ONE game all season, where are we, week what? That's a weak argument.

#3: Lewis is 14th because if you look at the RB's below him, they're either back ups or starters who've missed chunks of time due to injury.

As far as the 4th quarter blunders goes, it's on Romeo Crennell, he's a Fissle-stick up and he will be fired and we will get a MANLY coach like Marty or Cower and we'll be returned to prominence, because this team has no heart.

Blame DA all you want, but those of us that KNOW football know he's not the problem.

#1: He didn't fall. Do I need to put up the clip. You can't even assume a FG. Hell, DA could have fumbled for his upteenth time this year.

#1A: That theory has already been blow out of the water by work WPD did on this board. DA would still be near the bottom of the league.

#2: You obviously chose to selectively read only the part about Steptoe in preseason. Again, the stats show DA doesn't even look to the #2 or try to throw it that way.

#3: Really? Julius Jones is a starter in SEA, Jackson is a starter in STL, Williams in CAR, Lynch in BUF, Brown in MIA, Westbrook in PHI, James in ARZ. And the only dudes to miss time are Westbrook and Jackson (1 game each). Yup, 16 of the 32 NFL teams have an injured RB icon_rolleyes.gif

Dude, you don't need your head coach to tell you that you spike the ball or call a TO when the clock is running down with less than a minute to go. You can put the play calls on RAC, but not knowing what to do and running to the sidelines to ask if you should spike the ball or call a TO because you headset isn't working is JV football play.

That football knowledge you are now posturing about (those that brag are generally the least knowledgable, no matter what it is they brag about) is sure not showing.

DA ain't the only problem, but he is one. Never have I seen a QB completing only 50% of his passes w/o that QB being a big part of the problem.

As to getting Marty, that crap to me is still the dubmest thing I have heard around C-Town. That would be the biggest desperation move this team could ever make. Let's reach back 20 years into the history in an effort to recapture past glory. Hell, then why don't we just suit up Jim Brown and Kosar while we are at it.

Hey Beyster... have you taken over Cumbergh's role of sucking DA's wanker???

You two clowns must be related.

I think with my brain, not with my heart.

Unfortunately then you must not think.

If you insist, but Quinn isn't the savior.

Only a new coach, a mans coach, will turn this team around.

Guest Masters
"Blame DA all you want, but those of us that KNOW football know he's not the problem."----Beyster

You can have the title of best fan if you think DA is the criteria and standard for a good QB.

It's all you.

You can't make that statement when you came out saying NO has a running game. There running game is worse than the Browns.

Guest Masters
I never said they had the best running game, I said they had better skilled players.

No you said "Drew Brees also has a running game (Bush and Duce) and some back up WR's that can start on 30 teams. not to mention more than 5 years experience."

But they don't have a running game. They have less of one than DA has.

I was in favor (along with others) to move DA and bring up a decent backup to start Quinn from the get go. Maybe things would have been better, worse or the same, but at least we wouldn't have wasted time trying to see what DA has, which is not a decent QB. Many of us already suspected it, now it has been proven.

Guest Masters

Well if CLE wants a coach whose a man, they should hire Mike Gundy. He's a man! He's 40. You come after him.

While DA is not the only problem' date=' he is a problem. There are a few flaws in what you just said.

(disclaimer, I am not actually comparing Quinn to Montana with this): When players talk about the Joes first SB, they talk about even when they were down, Joe is in there joking with the guys talking about "did you see so and so celeb in the stands over there". He was relaxed and calm. That is never how I picture DA at all. I see him scrambling to look at the giant play book he carries on his arm (only QB to still be carrying one of those and dudes ain't done that in 10 years). It says a lot about him.[/quote']

As far as the 4th quarter blunders goes, it's on Romeo Crennell, he's a Fissle-stick up and he will be fired and we will get a MANLY coach like Marty or Cower and we'll be returned to prominence, because this team has no heart.

#1: He didn't fall. Do I need to put up the clip. You can't even assume a FG. Hell, DA could have fumbled for his upteenth time this year.

#1A: That theory has already been blow out of the water by work WPD did on this board. DA would still be near the bottom of the league.

#2: You obviously chose to selectively read only the part about Steptoe in preseason. Again, the stats show DA doesn't even look to the #2 or try to throw it that way.

#3: Really? Julius Jones is a starter in SEA, Jackson is a starter in STL, Williams in CAR, Lynch in BUF, Brown in MIA, Westbrook in PHI, James in ARZ. And the only dudes to miss time are Westbrook and Jackson (1 game each). Yup, 16 of the 32 NFL teams have an injured RB icon_rolleyes.gif

Dude, you don't need your head coach to tell you that you spike the ball or call a TO when the clock is running down with less than a minute to go. You can put the play calls on RAC, but not knowing what to do and running to the sidelines to ask if you should spike the ball or call a TO because you headset isn't working is JV football play.

That football knowledge you are now posturing about (those that brag are generally the least knowledgable, no matter what it is they brag about) is sure not showing.

DA ain't the only problem, but he is one. Never have I seen a QB completing only 50% of his passes w/o that QB being a big part of the problem.

As to getting Marty, that crap to me is still the dubmest thing I have heard around C-Town. That would be the biggest desperation move this team could ever make. Let's reach back 20 years into the history in an effort to recapture past glory. Hell, then why don't we just suit up Jim Brown and Kosar while we are at it.

#1: I saw it live, but post the clip of him falling as he dropped the ball.

#1a: Who's WPD? Just another poster or someone on the Browns coaching staff? lol

#2: Thought I already spoke of Steptoe. He only played like a man in ONE GAME and the season's halfway done.

#3: Seattle sucks. Nuff said.

St. Louis is JUST getting their game on now that they changed coaches. And he's hurt (Dallas game).

Lynch, teams stack the line and dare Edwards to beat them with the pass. hard to run against a 9 man line.

Brown splits time with Williams.

Westbrook was hurt and out for 2 games, and is still playing hurt.

James is on the bench, Hightower is playing the majority of the time.

(my football senses are tingling)

That sideline thing happened once, because DA is loyal to this shitty coaching staff for some reason.

Marty is still a proven winner and could outcoach 95% of the NFL coaches out there. Never saw him with clock management problems or teams playing sloppy all year. Only three coaches active are doing better or are on his level. Bill B. Dungy and Fisher.

Archived