THE BROWNS BOARD

Science experiment

htownbrown

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/11/fact-check-n-95-filters-not-too-large-stop-covid-19-particles/5343537002/

The science of mask functionality gets really small, really fast. The unit of measurement here is microns — 1/1000th of a millimeter.

The size-based argument against N95 laid out in this claim assumes mask filtering works something like water flowing through a net — particles in the water smaller than the net opening pass through, while larger items don’t.

But the physics involved don’t work like that at all.

The COVID-19 particle is indeed around 0.1 microns in size, but it is always bonded to something larger.

“There is never a naked virus floating in the air or released by people,” said Linsey Marr, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech who specializes in airborne transmission of viruses.

The virus attaches to water droplets or aerosols (i.e. really small droplets) that are generated by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. These consist of water, mucus protein and other biological material and are all larger than 1 micron.

“Breathing and talking generate particles around 1 micron in size, which will be collected by N95 respirator filters with very high efficiency,” said Lisa Brosseau, a retired professor of environmental and occupational health sciences who spent her career researching respiratory protection.

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Never thought Cal would be the one that linked you medical science you failed to consider.  

As the kids say "weird flex, but ok".

It's not a n95 mask that I scoped.  Its what the average person wears, which is a run of the mill surgical mask.  I also never said anything about a "naked" virus.

Back in my AF days , I was thinking of being a physician's assistant, took biology classes, even genetics, etc. Til a physician's assistant explained that it was a great idea if I was going to make the AF a career, but a bad choice in civilian life etc etc.

She was right. My other idea was biomedical engineer - I wanted to do R&D in advanced prostheses.

way too much advanced math.

2 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

I'd also like to add PM 2.5 can fly across oceans.  Meaning it can stay suspended in a room for the entirety of its "lifespan" if its not well ventilated.  

maybe in one of these:

maxresdefault.jpg  Oh, I'm just being funny. sorry.

"N95 respirators made by different companies were found to have different filtration efficiencies for the most penetrating particle size (0.1 to 0.3 micron), but all were at least 95% efficient at that size for NaCl particles."

I didn't see any....but maybe someone can point me to the .3 micron pores in the pictures I posted???

4 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I had some time today.....

UOEH_A_684582_F0002_B.jpg.1d2533bc51b1c9068b8301f30de17339.jpg

20200806_143608.thumb.jpg.62953261873dd382af92060bf7c9caf2.jpg

Outer mask fabric....

20200806_152642.thumb.jpg.a29dd9392207b83ae3590411fc3a58d7.jpg

Inner mask fabric....

20200806_152342.thumb.jpg.a35ecc269d82f6655b4b3e73703ecc9b.jpg

Bottom line:

This shit isn't going to flatten the curve...

1 hour ago, htownbrown said:

So what don't you like?  The pictures, the chart, or the bottom line?

Your methodology is a bit flawed.

I did a deep dive on mask pore size on this thread a few weeks ago, but I'll repost here:

"You are correct about the average size of typical viruses. However, viruses do not exist in a vacuum; on their own, they cannot travel very far, and can be quite vulnerable to outside influences, such as temperature, relative humidity of the air and UV light from the sun. As such, viruses need a transmission vector in order to spread. In most cases, that is usually droplets coming from sneezing or coughing. Those droplets are much bigger than the viruses they carry; usually around 0.6-1000 micrometers (um)."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Your methodology is a bit flawed.

I did a deep dive on mask pore size on this thread a few weeks ago, but I'll repost here:

"You are correct about the average size of typical viruses. However, viruses do not exist in a vacuum; on their own, they cannot travel very far, and can be quite vulnerable to outside influences, such as temperature, relative humidity of the air and UV light from the sun. As such, viruses need a transmission vector in order to spread. In most cases, that is usually droplets coming from sneezing or coughing. Those droplets are much bigger than the viruses they carry; usually around 0.6-1000 micrometers (um)."

I'm aware

UOEH_A_684582_F0002_B.jpg

9 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I'm aware

UOEH_A_684582_F0002_B.jpg

I believe there's enough of the proverbial fertile ground here for the both of us to be correct. Are regular surgical masks, if properly utilized, beneficial in the prevention of the spread of influenza? Yes and no.

Yes, because the mask pore size is small enough to sufficiently stop a majority of aerosolized sneeze and cough droplets from going into the local atmosphere; at worst, they slow down particles enough so that they don't travel nearly as far as they would have if unobstructed. To your point, there are also particle sizes small enough to make it through.

What these masks are most efficient at is stopping enough of the aerosol particles from escaping or traveling far, thereby reducing the potential viral load someone in close proximity would be exposed to. Bio-load is a critical factor in whether or not someone gets ill, because the typical healthy human immune system is more effective at fighting off lower viral loads.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

I believe there's enough of the proverbial fertile ground here for the both of us to be correct. Are regular surgical masks, if properly utilized, beneficial in the prevention of the spread of influenza? Yes and no.

Yes, because the mask pore size is small enough to sufficiently stop a majority of aerosolized sneeze and cough droplets from going into the local atmosphere; at worst, they slow down particles enough so that they don't travel nearly as far as they would have if unobstructed. To your point, there are also particle sizes small enough to make it through.

What these masks are most efficient at is stopping enough of the aerosol particles from escaping or traveling far, thereby reducing the potential viral load someone in close proximity would be exposed to. Bio-load is a critical factor in whether or not someone gets ill, because the typical healthy human immune system is more effective at fighting off lower viral loads.

I here what your saying, although I'm not 100% behind all of it.  I'm not attempting to come at you (or anyone) from a position of authority because I'm not in the medical industry and my only overlapping professional experience to any of this would be porosity and permeability (which is what inspired the pictures).  

The statement I originally made, was not whether SMs were better than nothing, rather that it was not going to flatten the curve.  I thank you, for at least not shitting on the point without objective thinking like other posters attempted.  I think, however, "better than nothing" with a virus that is "highly contagious" leads people to some not so proven assumptions. 

As I've read through more and more studies, the results and conclusions are so wildly different, it's difficult to trust any. 

The first thing that caught my eye in mask efficiency testing was that they universally get tested with normal breathing rates (8.4 L/min +- 1.3 L/min for a healthy male).  A cough or sneeze would certainly be much more forceful, i think we could agree on that.  And as loosely fit as a SM actually is, maybe porosity actually is irrelevant considering the possible paths of least resistance. 

I don't have any issue with the argument for SMs limiting non suspending aerosols that may for instance contaminate a surface, but PM 2.5, or smaller, is a wildly different ball game.  They have found the virus lodged in ventilation filters in hospitals, after all. 

Now here's a question you seem to be versed enough to answer, where I'm not:

In a situation where a virus has become highly efficient at attaching itself to it's desired target, in this case a spike protein I believe, would it not lower the viral load necessary to be highly effective?

2 minutes ago, Axe said:

FISH ON!!! 🤣

tell that to the CDC

So you just posting something objectively incorrect, and then me pointing it out, counts as you baiting me into responding? 

I mean... I guess. If that's your bar.

Link me to where the CDC says that please.

28 minutes ago, Axe said:

The bar doesn't need to be very high with you..

Ok.... I mean you attempted something there

Anyway, the meme data you're regurgitating from some Facebook feed doesn't actually probe what it thinks it does. If you believe it you're objectively wrong. It's cut and dry. 

45 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Ok.... I mean you attempted something there

Anyway, the meme data you're regurgitating from some Facebook feed doesn't actually probe what it thinks it does. If you believe it you're objectively wrong. It's cut and dry. 

here's the number - you just call em and chirp at them.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention · Customer service
image.jpeg.1e441d338b3be35fbb68ffea729b1be6.jpeg
1 (800) 232-4636