THE BROWNS BOARD

The post office

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-post-offices-problem-isnt-trump-11597360885

Just so we don't have to keep hijacking threads to talk about the postal service.

WSS

Yes Steve- knew 95% of that. So what you going to do for those folks living out in the stix?  Think UPS or Fedex are going to want to lose millions servicing them? Cut out Saturday first class mail? All for it. Make junk mailers pay their fair share? Sure- they probably get charged a few bucks per ton of delivery. 

Said it elsewhere- this is not the time to go screwing with the USPS business model right before the election. The problems may not be Trump's fault- but he sure as hell turned it into a political football with some remarks that certainly sound like he's suppressing mail delivery. 

As to the Post Office being a financial sinkhole with no bottom- saw an interesting thought. They're a service provided for by the government.  Um BTW- so is the US military- with around $700 billion in discretionary spending. The $25 billion the Democrats want to spend to prop up the USPS through the end of the year is approaching the level of pissing in the ocean of red ink created by the military and their never ending wish list for new toys- that we're probably never going to need. And if the US government was run as a business (like some want to do with the Post office) it would have been declared bankrupt years ago. Except- Uncle Sam can keep on printing money he doesn't have. The national debt load (just checked) is $70,000 per capita.  Considering kids under 10 don't work- and retirees- you can effectively at least double that for people who are actually working. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yes Steve- knew 95% of that. So what you going to do for those folks living out in the stix?  Think UPS or Fedex are going to want to lose millions servicing them? Cut out Saturday first class mail? All for it. Make junk mailers pay their fair share? Sure- they probably get charged a few bucks per ton of delivery. 

Said it elsewhere- this is not the time to go screwing with the USPS business model right before the election. The problems may not be Trump's fault- but he sure as hell turned it into a political football with some remarks that certainly sound like he's suppressing mail delivery. 

As to the Post Office being a financial sinkhole with no bottom- saw an interesting thought. They're a service provided for by the government.  Um BTW- so is the US military- with around $700 billion in discretionary spending. The $25 billion the Democrats want to spend to prop up the USPS through the end of the year is approaching the level of pissing in the ocean of red ink created by the military and their never ending wish list for new toys- that we're probably never going to need. And if the US government was run as a business (like some want to do with the Post office) it would have been declared bankrupt years ago. Except- Uncle Sam can keep on printing money he doesn't have. The national debt load (just checked) is $70,000 per capita.  Considering kids under 10 don't work- and retirees- you can effectively at least double that for people who are actually working. 

With a mindset like this, we would still have the pony express, quills & inkwells, and horse and buggies.

Subsidized deliveries of junk mail and other nonsense is nothing more than wasted taxpayer money.

The only time I mail a letter is when I pay my property taxes, only because the local governments haven’t evolved in the 21st century.

1 minute ago, Canton Dawg said:

With a mindset like this, we would still have the pony express, quills & inkwells, and horse and buggies.

Subsidized deliveries of junk mail and other nonsense is nothing more than wasted taxpayer money.

The only time I mail a letter is when I pay my property taxes, only because the local governments haven’t evolved in the 21st century.

Then you're missing the point. The post office has evolved. There can be efficiencies- but this isn't the time to implement them. LOL, I'll talk to you about wasted taxpayer money after we cut a few hundred billion out of the defense budget. We spend more than the next 9 countries on military expenditures- combined.... 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Then you're missing the point. The post office has evolved. There can be efficiencies- but this isn't the time to implement them. LOL, I'll talk to you about wasted taxpayer money after we cut a few hundred billion out of the defense budget. We spend more than the next 9 countries on military expenditures- combined.... 

CC36965D-A9F5-4D41-A95C-A2075DA924AA.jpeg

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Meaning- you just lost the argument....  But do keep on defending this loser.. 

There IS no argument, only someone with a pea sized brain would think it’s smart to subsidize the delivery of junk mail.

Earth to Larry...we’re in the 21st century.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

There IS no argument, only someone with a pea sized brain would think it’s smart to subsidize the delivery of junk mail.

Earth to Larry...we’re in the 21st century.

As usual, worthless discussing  things with MAGAs. I'm waiting for  Trump's  replacement for  Obamacare  too.

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

As usual, worthless discussing  things with MAGAs. I'm waiting for  Trump's  replacement for  Obamacare  too.

As usual, let’s subsidize Aunt Edna’s $4 birthday card postage even though she only has to pay for a 50 cent stamp.

While we’re at it let’s pick up the tab for FedEx, UPS, and DHL too.

2 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

As usual, let’s subsidize Aunt Edna’s $4 birthday card postage even though she only has to pay for a 50 cent stamp.

While we’re at it let’s pick up the tab for FedEx, UPS, and DHL too.

Got it. You hate the  post office.  Next time send her that card for $10 bucks FedEx Express.  Or just send her an email. Oh, she doesn't have Internet? Too bad, so sad granny. FYI, there's folks living on the Navajo reservation that's supported by the Indian mission I donate to who don't have running  water, much less  Internet access. Nah, they don't need mail,  probably can't even read.

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Got it. You hate the  post office.  Next time send her that card for $10 bucks FedEx Express.  Or just send her an email. Oh, she doesn't have Internet? Too bad, so sad granny. FYI, there's folks living on the Navajo reservation that's supported by the Indian mission I donate to who don't have running  water, much less  Internet access. Nah, they don't need mail,  probably can't even read.

You’re not too far off track, I send my aunt in Colorado a birthday card every year.

I don’t trust the Post Office, so I put it in a bubble envelope and send it via UPS.

It costs me $6 and some change, but guess what?...It always gets delivered.

1 year later & still crickets later...  https://ips-dc.org/how-congress-manufactured-a-postal-crisis-and-how-to-fix-it/      

btw, quit taking your carrier's nickels.. The price of a Stamp went up to 55 cents months ago.. 😎

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

And of course since we already knew 95% of that the only thing some people need to do is to spin it so they can attack the president. If Mike Pence John McCain or Barack Obama were president you'd probably agree with the fact did the post office really needs overhauled. But it's so much more fun to cry about voter suppression isn't it?

Anyway as for the people who lived in the Sticks well, shit happens. You know how hard it is to find a good blacksmith these days? Inefficient paper correspondence is being taken over by Leaps and Bounds by Electronic media. Sorry, that's just the way it goes. So if you live a hundred miles from nowhere that's going to be one of the pains in the ass you'll have to live with. Maybe once or twice a week Drive 25 or 50 miles to a central location and pick up your junk mail there.

Also a lot of money as Wasted by putting the post office FedEx UPS you name it in high traffic areas. No need for that. Delivery locations are actually destinations. So what would be a lot cheaper put it somewhere else. Meaning. In the shopping center with the most expensive rental rates imaginable. My friend at the post office is also talking about clusters of boxes and every neighborhood. Like you would see it at apartment building but in the suburbs. That would cut down on a lot of time and effort. 

But like with so many other things that are completely or  mostly or even partially government-funded there's no particular urgency to do anything more efficiently.

And who knows? It might be a good thing for America to have to spend at least a little bit of time to get their mail. Or a little bit of effort? As it is we sit in front of the big screen all day long and wait for Amazon to bring us our shit. We would scream bloody murder if we had to get in the car and drive 1/2 Mile to pick up the mail.

WSS

Just now, MLD Woody said:

It's not spin. It's obvious. Trump said it out loud. His goal is apparent, and that's to make it harder to vote.

It's spin to try and make it something else

The Post Office is outdated...we don’t need a government official to tell us that.

1 minute ago, Canton Dawg said:

Business models and innovation become irrelevant, when you always have taxpayers shore up the bottom line.

While they should definitely look to be efficient and improve, the USPS also isn't a normal business. It's a service provided to Americans

Another way to look at it, how much money does the military "lose" every year? You want to address wasteful government spending then start with the big dogs

• Upvote 1

Just now, Canton Dawg said:

The Post Office is outdated...we don’t need a government official to tell us that.

Not saying it isn't. 

But doing all of this now, right before an election, where many people are going to want to vote by mail, after he's gone on and on about "voter fraud" through mail...

... I mean come on. It's obvious.

Through in all of the right wing "news" outlets pumping out as many "vote by mail bad!" stories as they can each day and it should be blindingly obvious what's going on.

There's no way you could think this is a genuine attempt by Trump to just want to improve the USPS or something

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

While they should definitely look to be efficient and improve, the USPS also isn't a normal business. It's a service provided to Americans

You’re right, my daily mail consists of 99% junk mail. We need taxpayers to help pay for that delivery.

Another way to look at it, how much money does the military "lose" every year? You want to address wasteful government spending then start with the big dogs

I find the military spending a necessary evil these days. There’s plenty of people in the world that would love to create another 9-11.

Only had problem with USPS a few times.  Once didn't receive a couple of bills (found out a temp was delivering mail), and a few times received mail from same address but different street.  I always put the mail back into a USPS box redeliver.  I suspect some assholes just throw the mail away.