THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign a LB

TexasAg1969

12 minutes ago, Orion said:

So, one could say this is a finishing touch (for THIS season) on the Shobert loss more so than Mack Wilson.

Well, this guy looks like he's going to replace the guy who was supposed to replace Schobert, so sure! 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

So, one could say this is a finishing touch (for THIS season) on the Shobert loss more so than Mack Wilson.

So a quick recap of what is going on here and factoring in the 6 to 8 week Wilson recovery time table.  Is Smith just maybe at or near the end of his useful NFL career ?

The Browns have signed veteran linebacker Malcolm Smith, the MVP of Super Bowl 48 XLVIIIthe club announced on Sunday. The signing will help Cleveland address its needs at middle linebacker after Mack Wilson sustained a hyperextended knee last week. Wilson, a starter during his rookie season, is hoping for a six-to-eight week recovery timetable.

Cleveland is Smith's fourth team in the last three seasons. He spent time with the Cowboys and Jaguars last season. Smith, following a two-year stint in Oakland, spent the 2018 season with the 49ers.

The 31-year-old Smith spent his first four seasons with the Seahawks. A seventh-round pick in the 2011 draft, Smith received eight starts in 2013 while helping Seattle capture its first Super Bowl win. Smith was named Super Bowl MVP as his Seahawks beat the Broncos; his 10 tackles, fumble recovery and pick-six of Peyton Manning helped lead Seattle to a 43-8 victory........

I've seen multi reports that he's played all 3 LB spots.stat lines too. He's the younger brother to retired Panther baller WR Steve Smith.. The last I've seen of MS seeing any serious game snaps on game-pass? Was with Oakland & the 2018 San Fran season..Joe Woods was still in Denver as DC, while Malcolm Brown played at Mack Wilson's 'Will backer' spot at San Fran.. Wood's is now the* DC...wait & see👀 for me.. In media speak? Goodson has had a good camp mike'ing out the defense playing Mike LB...What Joe Wood's speaks? is the only one that matters..

If or when we see 3 LB? The starting Sam now has a cluster of Taki/Jacob Phillips/Ajayi/ Tre Davis & Willie Harvey...stay tuned!!     

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ballpeen said:

He  has bounced around for a reason, but he is a vet.  We had to do something.  This is about a good a option out there at this point.

At MLB.     I would still advocate going for  Clay Matthews III at OLB.   Or, maybe these guys think we are good there.

Raise your hand if you think the Browns are all good at OLB.   (even if they are just going to play 2 LBs.)

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

At MLB.     I would still advocate going for  Clay Matthews III at OLB.   Or, maybe these guys think we are good there.

Raise your hand if you think the Browns are all good at OLB.   (even if they are just going to play 2 LBs.)

{keeps hand down}

in this new world of COVID testing we need to prepare as though at least one player from each positional group will test positive.  So I’d prefer an experienced backup at each group rather than stroll out with a guy like Donnie Lewis at CB or Tre Davis at LB. 

what happens when god forbid Taki or Ward test positive Saturday night before a Sunday game? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Clay isn't the player he once was.  I pass.

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He had 8 sacks last year. Which I think is more than anyone on the Browns had. OK and checking I see that Garrett had 10 sacks but no one else had more than five

Right, he is more of a edge rusher these days.  We have that covered.  We need olb's who can cover ground.

1 minute ago, ballpeen said:

Right, he is more of a edge rusher these days.  We have that covered.  We need olb's who can cover ground.

By that I assume you mean  do well in pass coverage? 

Well, I don't know, scouting that sort of thing is not my bailiwick, but....is he any worse there than anyone we have or anyone else we could pick up?  I don't know.

But I also know you can really never have enough good pass rushers. 

54 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, I don't know, scouting that sort of thing is not my bailiwick, but....is he any worse there than anyone we have or anyone else we could pick up?  I don't know.

I was talking more about getting to the and play the linebacker position any longer.  He is more a standup edge rusher.

55 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I was talking more about getting to the and play the linebacker position any longer.  He is more a standup edge rusher.

Well, again, by that do you mean that both his  run defense skills and his pass coverage skills are significantly diminished?   Those would be 2/3rds of an LBs duties.