THE BROWNS BOARD

Winslow and his big mouth/ego.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5636

MORRIS CALLS OUT WINSLOW

After practice on Thursday Morris called out tight end Kellen Winslow for controlling his emotions. The Buccaneers traded a second and fifth round pick to the Clevelnd Browns for Winslow in the offseason, and gave him a contract extension during the offseason. Morris has talked about Winslow stepping up and being a leader throughout the offseason.

"Today's talking points with the team. It was a good practice because you got to go out there and see our mentality," said Morris. "Today you can see a little bit of weakness as far as the mentality. We rode the emotional roller coaster a little bit and I'll give you an example. Kellen Winslow, and I talked about this to the team so there is no talking behind the team's back, but Kellen Winslow catches a pass. He is hyped up and gets the crowd going. He throws it down behind his back, spin it, flip it, and gets the crowd relied up. Then he drops one, puts his head down, and walks back to the huddle. That is part of riding the emotional roller coaster that we don't want to do. You have to be the same no matter what. We need somebody to pick him up. No teammate should let him drop his head, and he shouldn't think of dropping his head. That's part of being a team, and that's apart of going to the next play and moving on. One play, becomes a bad practice. You need those good plays to keep it a ride and for people to take onto it."

Morris talked about how the offense rode a roller coaster of effectiveness in practice, and the emotions of the players needed to be steady in order for the team to produce consistently. Winslow had butted heads with members of the Browns organization over the years, and Morris referred to some past problems while calling out Winslow for his emotions after practice on Thursday.

"Oh, he's definitely talented, but I'm also starting to get an idea of the problems he's had," said Morris. "But I think it's the first time anyone has ever addressed him, talked to him about it. He understands, he looks me in the eye, I look him in the eye and that's it-my bad. If he does something good, I'll tell him my bad. Sometimes his emotional energy is going to give us a lift and other times it hurts. He's got to know when it's the right time."

"I don't know if it is a problem. This is a high-intense, angry man driven game. He needs to figure it out, and he will. I know he will. That's why he's a Buc."

Not knowing much about Morris, I'll give this to him--the man has stones. Young coach, first training camp, stepping up and taking on one of the key players on the team. I'm not sure how it will work with Winslow, but I would imagine that it will earn him respect with the other players on the team.

Dennis

The HOF TE of our era is Gonzales, who led the Chiefs to, uhm... uh...

Remember how much the Giants missed Shockey? They had to win the Super Bowl just to stop crying over it.

(I am not a big fan of TEs paid like #1 WRs.)

I'm trying to think of the last team to succeed with their primary receiving threat as a TE...probably the Ravens with Shannon Sharpe, and then only because their QB at the time couldn't get the ball downfield to the WRs. Even Ozzie wasn't the big-play guy for the team's successful years in the mid-late 80s, with Slaughter and Langhorne (and Brennan thrown in for good measure). The TEs that you want are guys who are sure-handed, block, and get the team fired up by dragging six guys around from time to time (Mark Bavaro comes to mind).

Dennis

I agree about Winslow, he was a nice outlet for DA when he got flustered and couldn't get pass his 1st read, but the guy has scored 6 freakin' touchdowns in his career. Not a game changer, but most fans think he was because the announcers called his name so often after a 7yd dumpoff catch.

In fairness, if the people on this board are any indication, he was playing with the second coming of Helen Keller, so six touchdowns is a minor miracle.

Dennis

I'm trying to think of the last team to succeed with their primary receiving threat as a TE...

Dennis

Prolly just Baltimore when they had Shannon Sharpe to go with Jamal Lewis' 2000 yards rushing. I guess having one of the best defenses since the 85 Bears didn't hurt either.

- Tom F.

Morris is absolutely right. those emotional rollercoasters of Winslows are killers to the team. Hopefully it's a lesson that sinks in, but I kind of doubt it with Winslow. The guys a ticking time bomb... worse than that.. he'll never play a full season.. We made the right move.

Loved his fire his competitiveness, his hands, blows my mind how good he could have been had he not gotten injured.

Glad we pulled the trigger on the trade when we did.

stars at the TE position are a luxury anyway and they definitely aren't necessary to win football games, just get a good blocker, and give him the occasional throw in the red zone for him to be a threat, but really all you need is a good blocker.

Winslow wasn't one, so essentially he was redundant to the team, and probably detrimental to it. I liked him, I loved his "I'm a xxxxin soldier" rage rant as much as the next guy, but it was best to let him go while we still could, and mangini understood that. he understood he needed to trade him while he still had trade value.

Archived