THE BROWNS BOARD

Seibert waived, Parkey elevated to 53 man roster

jrb12711

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I'm not calming down, we're talking about one of the only 2 players who kick the ball in American FOOTball and I am a Spaniard :D

😆 Fair enough!   I only wanted a quick exhale from you.

I'm still kind of baffled by it myself.  I'm gonna speak fluent Calfox here and say the poor guy got Parkey-Parksies for Cody Parkey.  That's like a RB getting cut today; and then the team that cut him signs Trent Richardson.  

Seibert had a great year in 2019 making 25 of 29 FG attempts.  The thing that puzzled me about him was as good as he was with the FGs - how does the same guy miss 5 extra point attempts?   And then he began this year missing another.  Again, how about the STs coach finding the flawed mechanic responsible for something that should be correctable in lieu of the knee jerk reaction?  

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

how about the STs coach finding the flawed mechanic responsible for something that should be correctable in lieu of the knee jerk reaction?  

I keep going back to them bringing in a bunch of kickers for the last few days of TC. 

...and I would assume that the ST coach, who was with Seibert all TC, had some input...at least I would hope so.  

Is it a bad move?  If so, we'll add it to the ever-growing list.

8 minutes ago, Flugel said:

The last few days of training camp?   If he was such a concern, why would they wait until the last few days of training camp to bring in a bunch of kickers that couldn't beat him out?   Again, we're talking about a guy that made 25 of 29 FGs last year so what changed so much we cut him for Cody Parkey?

As Paul Harvey would say...."Now for the REST of the story"...

He also made 25 of 30 PATs last year & missed his one & only PAT attempt THIS year.

This isn't a Parkey endorsement, just a more complete look at Seibert's performance.

Mike

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

As Paul Harvey would say...."Now for the REST of the story"...

He also made 25 of 30 PATs last year & missed his one & only PAT attempt THIS year.

This isn't a Parkey endorsement, just a more complete look at Seibert's performance.

Mike

Sometimes the rest of the story was already covered in the flow of discussion you didn't read. I already mentioned the missed extra points in the 1st post of page 2 of this thread. Here's a cut and paste:

Seibert had a great year in 2019 making 25 of 29 FG attempts.  The thing that puzzled me about him was as good as he was with the FGs - how does the same guy miss 5 extra point attempts?   And then he began this year missing another.  Again, how about the STs coach finding the flawed mechanic responsible for something that should be correctable in lieu of the knee jerk reaction?  

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Sometimes the rest of the story was already covered in the flow of discussion you didn't read. I already mentioned the missed extra points in the 1st post of page 2 of this thread. Here's a cut and paste:

ST Coaches had been working him out at 1st Energy on numerous occasions this year.

He also had ONE solid year in college..  https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/austin-seibert-seibe0006 

Also, check out his stats per distance. I rest my case....I am no Seibert fan.

Mike

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

ST Coaches had been working him out at 1st Energy on numerous occasions this year.

He also had ONE solid year in college..  https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/austin-seibert-seibe0006 

Also, check out his stats per distance. I rest my case....I am no Seibert fan.

Mike

Mike, I didn't draft the guy.  I just want to make sure we're not giving up on him too early is all. This has to be a record for how much time I've wasted talking about a kicker.  I'm all done with it.  I hope we've improved the position 100%.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Mike, I didn't draft the guy.  I just want to make sure we're not giving up on him too early is all. This has to be a record for how much time I've wasted talking about a kicker.  I'm all done with it.  I hope we've improved the position 100%.

Perhaps we need one of those long list of Browns kickers T-shirts like we had with Browns QBs.👠🤣

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Neo said:

Why is it so many kickers have struggled since they moved the ball back on extra points? I see kickers make 50+ yard field goals on the regular.

The extra points are now from 32 yards out? 15 yard line, placed 7 yards back off LOS, 10 yards for the endzone = 32 yards. 

I'd be curious to see what kickers FG percentage is for field goals from 30-35 yards. I have a feeling that you might be on to something, that they make FGs from that range at a higher rate than extra points. 

15 hours ago, Neo said:

Why is it so many kickers have struggled since they moved the ball back on extra points? I see kickers make 50+ yard field goals on the regular.

Simple guess is that it's now "enough" of a kick where they have to think about it? the old extra points were such where if you gave me 20 tries I'd make at least 3-4. Especially when someone gets the yips like Seibert, the fact it's not a gimme is a mental barrier. 50+ yarders almost come with an expectation that its "okay" to miss them.

Of course, this logic is why if you ever play golf with me anything within 5 feet is a gimme. 😂