THE BROWNS BOARD

***Browns VS Bengals Gameday Thread***

Nero

18 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Chubb and Hunt both went off. I'm impressed Stef hung in there with the rush. 

I only saw the 1st and 4th qtrs, but the offense looked like a real life NFL offense in terms of play calling vs game flow. Pretty damn impressive when compared to that thing we all had to sit through last Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

That was a must win!  And it was entertaining.  I'd much rather watch a good offense while having a bad D than a good D with a bad offense.

Takitaki leaves much to be desired.  Sadejo also.

Bottom line, we were fun to watch while looking good in our uniforms....instead of those clown outfits that Jimmuh & Dee had us in!

• Like 1

This was pretty damn fun. I thought we'd win like 31-17 or something, but I didn't think we'd give up that many points. There's so many things to discuss about our victory and I don't have time right now, haha. 

Mayfield was outstanding. His ball placement was scary good and it was the kind of accuracy he was drafted for. It really was excellent. 

Burrow will be a problem for a LONG time and I don't like it. I hope he survives a terrible OL. 

Running the ball is fun. That last drive was heavenly. 

I hate our defense. Like, for real. 

Why can't we tackle on kickoffs? 

Thank you Myles Garrett for saving the game after our botched 4th down. 

That bomb to OBJ was terrific! 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If the Brownies Oline is able to go and in solid health, they can win up front and keep rotating Chubb + Kareem.     At this rate, you're going to have to force that 8th man into the box because Baker is playing like one of the worst QB's in the NFL.   Need to keep as much space outside for him to throw with.

Don't go until you know.   Bengals won't threaten deep if they don't have time to get the ball off.   That means 5 and 7 step combos are off the plate - Divide, Mills, double moves, deep floods... off the table.   Make them pay for it and be aggressive underneath.

Christ.. was this ever a good pre-game post ^^... Your box of nails is in the mail Tia...           Shout out to Chris Hubbard... Stick to the Callahan coaching path 👍

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I get Burrow is young, but the hype is a little bit much.  60+ passes and a little over 300 yards.  Sounds like and so far plays like the Red Rifle.  I mean don't get me wrong, he won plenty of games, but not sure YET that they got any more than that....

At least Baker goes down field.

With that o line burrow doesn't have time to go downfield. It's not that he can't or won't that awful catch call by the official on the first play of the game was a beautiful ball.  It's simply the fact that's what the Browns were giving him (5-7 yard passes middle of the field) and he doesn't have the time to go down the field with the protection he has. What I was impressed with was he didn't seem confused by any of the coverage.  Some of his throws were wow this kid is legit type throws.  Most impressively to me was he kept taking those shots but kept standing tall and strong in the pocket. I mean shit I thought porter Gustin killed him on the myles strip sack.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

This was pretty damn fun. I thought we'd win like 31-17 or something, but I didn't think we'd give up that many points. There's so many things to discuss about our victory and I don't have time right now, haha. 

Mayfield was outstanding. His ball placement was scary good and it was the kind of accuracy he was drafted for. It really was excellent. 

Burrow will be a problem for a LONG time and I don't like it. I hope he survives a terrible OL. 

Running the ball is fun. That last drive was heavenly. 

I hate our defense. Like, for real. 

Why can't we tackle on kickoffs? 

Thank you Myles Garrett for saving the game after our botched 4th down. 

That bomb to OBJ was terrific! 

Yeah, I'm a "glass half full" guy but the D is likely to struggle for awhile. Injuries and another new scheme. They should make some adjustments before Sep 27th that should work.

I'm just happy they got the W. Something to build upon, woof.

21 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Yeah, I'm a "glass half full" guy but the D is likely to struggle for awhile. Injuries and another new scheme. They should make some adjustments before Sep 27th that should work.

I'm just happy they got the W. Something to build upon, woof.

#23, Sendejo - seems like he had his second poor game. I'm surprised the Bengals didn't throw at him often. If he did anything right, I missed it. The weakest link so far. the injuries hurt the secondary badly, and a few players have said they had come miscommunications....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Christ.. was this ever a good pre-game post ^^... Your box of nails is in the mail Tia...           Shout out to Chris Hubbard... Stick to the Callahan coaching path 👍

Apappreciate the nod.  I take pride in giving analysis that i want to hold up over time.

Always humbling to get compliments though.

21 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

#23, Sendejo - seems like he had his second poor game. I'm surprised the Bengals didn't throw at him often. If he did anything right, I missed it. The weakest link so far. the injuries hurt the secondary badly, and a few players have said they had come miscommunications....

Yep. They brought in a couple veterans & drafted Delpit.

Sendejo needs to step it up for sure. A veteran presence isn't any good if they aren't making plays.

27 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

#23, Sendejo - seems like he had his second poor game. I'm surprised the Bengals didn't throw at him often. If he did anything right, I missed it. 

I get your frustrations 🤓..I seriously do..I find myself continually bitching at Sendejo/T.Thomas/M.Smith/Goodson & T.Mitch sometimes....But! Sendejo lead us in tackles last night.. Well..and,  I keep telling 'self.. I'd rather see Malcolm Smith than TikiTaki"... Joseph is really peeking a nerve also.. am headed over to our ST issues?, but heck, at least Phefer is trying EVERY-body in the pool! 

Don't let the PFF grade from week 1 on Sendejo fool you.  Those nerds have no idea how their grading should go sometimes. 

For example the deep shot to Brown by Lamar, that isn't on Andrew.  You can't ask any safety to square up on a 4.3 receiver who was given a free release and expect good results.  You're putting that DB in a no-win situation.  The fact he made a TD saving tackle was impressive.

I'll dive into his tape when i get the time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Shout out to Chris Hubbard... Stick to the Callahan coaching path 👍

Huge unsung hero... I can't recall hearing his name once last nite... and for an OL that's the minimum standard.

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Don't let the PFF grade from week 1 on Sendejo fool you.  Those nerds have no idea how their grading should go sometimes. 

For example the deep shot to Brown by Lamar, that isn't on Andrew.  You can't ask any safety to square up on a 4.3 receiver who was given a free release and expect good results.  You're putting that DB in a no-win situation.  The fact he made a TD saving tackle was impressive.

I'll dive into his tape when i get the time.

True... but the deep sideline should never be the hole when playing 2-deep... I learned that from Madden... ;)

• Haha 1

The Browns are forming an identity. While the talk is about touches to OBJ, Landry, etc.  We have the best 1-2 punch in the backfield and a line that is very capable of opening up holes.  We also have an intelligent coach that I hope can sense this now rather than week 8-9 when we are fumbling games.  

We need to keep the defense off the field especially early on as much as possible.  My goal would be 40 runs 30 passes.  Last night was 34/23.  I’d like us to go 2/3 TE sets too, make teams prepare for something they don’t see often.  Slow the game down.  Beat up front 7s.  Keep Baker’s empty set and shots down field limited but tick up the play action deep or Hunt on the perimeter or TE down the seams. 

42 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Our "Defense" or our defensive personnel?

That's a good question and I'm not sure I actually know the answer. Let's see how we look with Johnson, Greedy, and Mack back. 

Interesting article - Stock up, Stock down"

I would have listed Harrison Bryant as a stock up - one play, he showed what he is capable of - just wait til he gets some more experience under his belt and gets a few more chances.

STOCK UP - Hooper, Ward, Stefanski, Baker, Richardson.

STOCK DOWN - those who covet drama from Baker and OBJ....special teams....and good ole #23, Sendejo.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-stock-report-who-rose-up-and-who-fell-down-in-clevelands-week-2-win-over-the-bengals/

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I get your frustrations 🤓..I seriously do..I find myself continually bitching at Sendejo/T.Thomas/M.Smith/Goodson & T.Mitch sometimes....But! Sendejo lead us in tackles last night.. Well..and,  I keep telling 'self.. I'd rather see Malcolm Smith than TikiTaki"... Joseph is really peeking a nerve also.. am headed over to our ST issues?, but heck, at least Phefer is trying EVERY-body in the pool! 

Sendejo led the team in tackles because the Bengals threw the ball 60 times down field. Who the hell else was going to do the tackling? The middle guard?

10 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We ran behind Jed Wills ALOT and he looked good and I can’t remember him giving up a sack/pressure etc

I'm going to rewatch the game and concentrate on his play every offensive down just to see what we have now.