THE BROWNS BOARD

Jacob Phillips

alporcini

PPF gave him a 39.9 on 17 plays.

Surprised me. In the one four and out I was aware of him, about halfway through the third quarter, he put pressure on Dak, made a nice tackle, broke up a pass... was all over the field.

Tour, what was your take on #50?

I was excited by the flashes I saw.

1 hour ago, alporcini said:

TBH, Al... I did not notice him.

I do have the game DVR'd... will likely look at it Thursday.

LB that's been catching my eye is Goodson... he did so again a couple times Sunday.

• Like 1

Found a fellow fan for your guy, Al...

3. A surprising rookie steps up big

Browns fans (myself included) expected huge things from second-year linebacker Mack Wilson this year. After a strong rookie year, and with new defensive coordinator Joe Woods, some predicted a pro-bowl appearance. Unfortunately, a training camp injury will have to keep those dreams for next season.

While Wilson has played minimal snaps in the last two weeks, he just doesn’t look to be ready for game action. However, that has opened the door for rookie linebacker Jacob Phillips. Now when you mention LSU linebackers from the national championship team, many just remember Patrick Queen. When in fact, Phillips led the team in tackles last season.

Phillips was hurt week one vs. Baltimore but returned for a fair amount of snaps last week vs. the Cowboys and showed a lot of promise. The biggest surprise was how strong he was in pass coverage, especially in zone coverage.

With another week to heal and develop, look for Phillips to be a big part of the defensive game plan on Sunday vs. the Colts. Rookie running back Jonathan Taylor has had a strong start to his NFL career, and the Browns will have to focus on stopping the run.

Look for Phillips to be flying around the field and making impactful plays to help the Browns defense get off the field on third down. With Phillips’s ability to cover running backs out of the backfield, look for Woods to really open up the blitz package as well to get after veteran quarterback Phillip Rivers.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/10/06/5-bold-predictions-cleveland-browns-week-5/4/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Annual grades at the quarter pole are.. unpleasant.

mack wilson 49.6 // takitaki 47.4 // phillips 38.8

I'd be overjoyed if I'm wrong.  But these guys have.. not performed up to the hopes we have.  50 is average.

None of these guys are starters.. they're not repeating the Wyatt Teller 5th round success story any time soon. 

For clarity: According to pff, Teller is the best performer on our offense - and the #1 G in all the land.

3 hours ago, alporcini said:

PPF gave him a 39.9 on 17 plays.

Surprised me. In the one four and out I was aware of him, about halfway through the third quarter, he put pressure on Dak, made a nice tackle, broke up a pass... was all over the field.

I was excited by the flashes I saw.

He did have that one series where he made some plays, had the pressure, the tackle on receiver on 3rd to take it 4th and then the PBU on 4th that could have been a pick. I didn't see Mack the whole game except in the pile on the Elliot fumble. So maybe as these guys get more playing time it will shore some things up there.