THE BROWNS BOARD

We sent Rashard Higgins out to get sandwiches and he never came back

Vambo

I've always been a Fan of Higgins, but I'm trusting this new regime on the handling of his playing/game time. After all, they know a hell of a lot more than I do.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Go get 'em, Higgie...

Is this the week the Browns turn to Rashard Higgins?

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com  Updated Oct 08, 2020; Posted Oct 08, 2020

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns fans waiting to see Rashard Higgins get some run might get their wish on Sunday. The Browns are running thin at wide receiver with KhaDarel Hodge, their No. 3 receiver, on injured reserve with a hamstring injury and JoJo Natson, their gadget-y fourth wide receiver, out for the season with a torn ACL.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/10/is-this-the-week-the-browns-turn-to-rashard-higgins.html

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Weirdest Title of the Year nominee for sure...

Did Mudfly leave for a sandwich & steal the whole damm food trailer?  🤓   Man, I miss your two's good back & fourths...  Hope all is well with the Mud-man 🤞 

Edit-- The only gadget guy Stef may have another bullet for vs. Higgins is currently on PS.. WR/KR/PR Ryan Switzer.. If you see his name pop to 53? Stef has a coaching style plan of JoJo's style at WR.. And the confidence of DPJ of a rookie returner take a early seat too.. stay tuned, this could go 3 ways vs a excellent Colts defense if Jet sweeps are part of the Stef playbook this week

• Upvote 1

Man, there has to be so much more to Higgins' story and I'm guessing he stares at the problem every time he brushes his teeth. 

^ That being said, if he gets a shot this week he better run every route and block every DB like his life depends on it, all with a smile on his face. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, D Bone said:

Man, there has to be so much more to Higgins' story and I'm guessing he stares at the problem every time he brushes his teeth. 

^ That being said, if he gets a shot this week he better run every route and block every DB like his life depends on it, all with a smile on his face. 

It's blocking and extending the field, two things that he doesn't do particularly great. Those are the things Stefanski typically wants from his WRs. Jarvis can't extend, but man does he block, and he's money on 3rd down. He's also super shifty and terrific at getting Separation. 

Believe it or not, Hodge was going to be a rather important part of our offense. We had several TD shots dialed up for him but we weren't able to execute, both week 1. On one, Hodge jumped for false start presumably because he was so excited, and the other Baker got pressured. Stefanski really enjoys lulling people to sleep with the perpetual blocking and then springing the WR for a sneaky shot. OBJ's red zone receiving TD is an example. He starts out blocking, sells perfectly, then jolts to the inside. Baker puts a dime on him, TD. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Could do a lot worse than Higgins as the WR4.  May not be as deep as Steelers WR corps yet, but better than what we've run out in recent memory.

I'm thinking WR early in the draft along with maybe more back 7 on defense. BPA on those hopefully.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm thinking WR early in the draft along with maybe more back 7 on defense. BPA on those hopefully.

Possibly, but I'm thinking corner. Greedy can't stay healthy and we need secondary help. 

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Keep your hands (and thoughts) off my pick!

I want my impact MLB dammit... I've waited long enough.

Seriously OBJ is locked up thru 2023 and Landry thru 2022. We won't need to shed eithers' salary in 2021, so WTF would you spend our #1 on a #3 WR?

Edit: Same goes for you Jiggie! CB? Sweet Jezus...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I likes the secondary! But seriously, if I were to list my areas of improvement in terms of importance, I'd go DE (we still don't have anyone opposite Myles and it's huge), MLB (I don't like any of ours btw), and probably a safety or corner. 

But man, I'd really kill for a Luke Kuechly type MLB. 

Anything is a possibility except for QB (Baker fingers crossed), RB, TE, OL

i think we target a scheme fit Olineman 5th, 6th round. Bitonio understudy. 

LBs are a mess.

Safety is a mess and Delpit is probably not going to be a major factor (if at all) until 2022.

CB - do you pay Ward, Is Greedy an answer?

DT- Is Larry O coming back?

DE- Vernon gone, Gustin? 

I go BPA in those position groups. 

WR- OBJ and Landry are expensive and not going to be around forever.

IF a Big time WR talent falls to us I might think about it but I think WR unless elite are luxury in this system. So I would choose carefully. 

id rather think about the playoffs than the draft 

Front to back and inside out... that's how Ds are built.

Premier DEs at both ends of the DL? Rare... and when it does happen, it usually doesn't last long. Only as long as the "new guy's" rookie deal as you can't afford to pay both.

While there are some very good ILBs in the 2021 class that will get 1st-round grades (Parsons - PSU, Moses - BAMA), the class also looks pretty deep. So maybe I don't need our 1st, but damn would either of those guys look good in the middle...

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Keep your hands (and thoughts) off my pick!

I want my impact MLB dammit... I've waited long enough.

Seriously OBJ is locked up thru 2023 and Landry thru 2022. We won't need to shed eithers' salary in 2021, so WTF would you spend our #1 on a #3 WR?

I didn't say the #1. I said a high draft choice as in more likely#2. I'm with you on a dominating MLB. The best defenses all have one. I'm hoping we can exploit Indy's injury at that position in the game tomorrow. If Micah Parsons of Penn State is still there when we pick, that would be a good starting place. A better shot for Bama's Dylan Moses who seems to be a mid-first kind of pick so far in mocks. Otherwise OSU's Browning in rd #2. #1 would be too big a jump.

My sleeper in the position is the very versatile Garret Wallow of TCU.

EDIT: Just saw your post above this after posting this response to the other. Looks like we are on exactly the same page with Parsons and Moses.👍

• Upvote 1

I knew you were smart... ;)

And I wrote above there are some good Day 2 choices as well including UGA's Rice and Auburn's Britt.

Also curious to see how tOSU's Browning has developed. I hear The Big 10 (or so) will start playing any month now.

So there are lots of options.

I think most will be shocked if we spend more than two 2021-picks on non-Defensive players.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I think most will be shocked if we spend more than two 2021-picks on non-Defensive players.

Depends if there is a BPA sitting right there that is so offensive we just have to take him.😁

Parsons will be long gone by the Brown's pick I think. Way too early to think much about the draft. It isn't even nov yet. lol

I agree that surely it's a defensive player with the first pick. Offhand, I'd say LB, or safety. Maybe a star end rusher, but it seems they don't need that - like they do a lb or safety. Although.....a slot corner with the ability to become an outside corner... maybe. Way, way too early.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Parsons will be long gone by the Brown's pick I think. Way too early to think much about the draft. It isn't even nov yet. lol

I agree that surely it's a defensive player with the first pick. Offhand, I'd say LB, or safety. Maybe a star end rusher, but it seems they don't need that - like they do a lb or safety. Although.....a slot corner with the ability to become an outside corner... maybe. Way, way too early.

I agree. I want to see what we look like when all Def is healthy.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And I wrote above there are some good Day 2 choices as well including UGA's Rice and Auburn's Britt.

Also curious to see how tOSU's Browning has developed. I hear The Big 10 (or so) will start playing any month now.

So there are lots of options.

Chazz Surratt UNC LB will be a player at the next level.  Great athlete just learning the LB position but looks the part.  Probably Day 2 guy too.  

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

He had to know with OBJ on the team, he'd have limited targets, plus got to give the new toy (Hooper) some plays. 

I think it is the fact that he is not being given the shot at the #3 WR spot that may irk him.   They have been giving more plays to Hodge et al than to him.   I think he is probably fine with OBJ and with Hooper....But Hodge....and even TE Bryant getting more?  That may be a cut to him. 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:26 AM, gumby73 said:

And the confidence of DPJ of a rookie returner take a early seat too.. stay tuned,

Man that guy scares the life outa me.  He very nearly lost us the game on one of the kickoffs.  First he tried to field the kickoff that was bouncing and by some miracle it got under his hands and between his legs without being touched...and then it was looking like it might not make it to the end zone, as he was watching it like he's a fan in the stands...and then by the grace of the football Gods it rolled into the end zone 'just' before the kicking team got to it to recover the 'live' ball.  -  It's like he didn't know the rules. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think it is the fact that he is not being given the shot at the #3 WR spot that may irk him.   They have been giving more plays to Hodge et al than to him.   I think he is probably fine with OBJ and with Hooper....But Hodge....and even TE Bryant getting more?  That may be a cut to him. 

Hmmm, I'm sure it is. But we don't know what's happening at practice, in locker room, etc. Hell, if they keep winning no one gives a shit. 

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Man that guy scares the life outa me.  He very nearly lost us the game on one of the kickoffs.  First he tried to field the kickoff that was bouncing and by some miracle it got under his hands and between his legs without being touched...and then it was looking like it might not make it to the end zone, as he was watching it like he's a fan in the stands...and then by the grace of the football Gods it rolled into the end zone 'just' before the kicking team got to it to recover the 'live' ball.  -  It's like he didn't know the rules. 

After that kick off sure he did learn the rules. He got a speech by the ST coach I think. I think he'll know better after that one...

1 hour ago, Nero said:

After that kick off sure he did learn the rules. He got a speech by the ST coach I think. I think he'll know better after that one...

Yep, he got him right on the sidelines before he was even off the field.

What I don't understand is all the trouble AB went through to keep him on the roster.. And now they don't use him?... what gives , man?

1 minute ago, nickers said:

What I don't understand is all the trouble AB went to keep him on the roster.. And now they don't use him?... what gives , man?

Careful when you use "AB"....for a moment I was confused thinking you were talking about Antonio Brown.    But, I know you mean Andrew Berry.