THE BROWNS BOARD

The Herd: OBJ, Baker just didn't jive

Icecube

Fun and Interesting Facts about Cereals

History of breakfast cereals, as we know them today, is relatively short (circa 150 years) but there are still some interesting facts that could be told about them.

• The cereal industry in the United States uses over 400 million kilograms of sugar per year.
  • Kellogg's Corn Flakes were eaten by astronauts aboard Apollo 11 which made the first landing on the Moon. The cereal was mixed with fruit and pressed into cubes to make them easier to eat in the conditions of zero gravity.
  • Term “cereals” comes from Ceres, ancient Roman goddess of agriculture.
  • Kellogg's breakfast cereals “Honey Smacks” and “Golden Crisp” have more than 50% sugar.
  • 50% of Americans eat cereals for breakfast every day.
  • The first cereal was so-called “Granula”. It had to be soaked in water whole night before it could be prepared for eating.
  • Advertisement of cereals started targeting children after the Second World War.
  • Americans eat 50 kg of cereal per person every year or 160 bowls.
  • Today's breakfast cereals that are healthier are more often targeted at adults.
  • The most popular items sold in grocery stores are milk and carbonated beverages. After them come breakfast cereals.
  • The first mass-marketed commercial item to offer a prize was Corn Flakes.
  • One of the predecessors of breakfast cereal was popcorn which American colonists used to eat with cream and sugar.
  • Puffed cereal is made in pressure cookers. The first pressure cooker for this purpose was made from a converted cannon that was used in the Spanish-American war.
  • Breakfast cereals were invented in 19th century as an answer to a very unhealthy eating habits of the people of that time and as bland food that will calm the passions according to the Seventh-day Adventists which invented it.
  • Cheerios were first called “Cheerioats” but Quaker Oates complained so the name was changed in 1945.
  • Quaker Oats gave an interesting prize in their cereals in the 1950s. As an advertisement for their cereals and a CBS’s TV show “Sergeant Preston of the Yukon” they gave a deed of land for one square inch of Yukon land for every box top from their cereal.
  • John Draper (AKA Captain Crunch, named after Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal mascot) used plastic whistle that was a prize in Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal to make free phone calls in the 1970s.
  • Cereals are a rich source of fiber.
  • Kellogg's, General Mills, Post, and Quaker Oats are the four greatest manufacturers of breakfast cereals.
  • Fruit_Brute_Cereal "Fruit Brute” was a brand of cereals sold in 1970s by General Mills and later discontinued. Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino has some of the boxes of original “Fruit Brute” and he uses them in his films as a director's trademark.
  • The first company to have an advertisement on the Times Square billboard in New York was Kellogg's.
  • Battle Creek, Michigan is considered the "Cereal Capital of the World" because it is the hometown of Kellogg and Post, two of the four largest cereal manufacturers in the world.
  • The full name of “Cap'n Crunch” mascot is Horatio Magellan Crunch. His place of birth is Crunch Island in the Sea of Milk.
  • Over 2.7 billion packages of cereal are sold every year.
  • The first “monster cereal” produced by General Mills in the 1970s was “Count Chocula”. It is still produced today but it is sold only around Halloween.
  • One bushel of wheat (36 liters) can produce 53 boxes of breakfast cereals.
  • United States are only 4th in world-wide cereal consumption. Before them are Ireland, England and Australia.
  • Thanks 1

Cereal Was Invented to Stunt Your Sex Drive
Yes, yours, you dirty so and so. John Harvey Kellogg was convinced that a healthy sex drive was evil and resulted in unhealthy habits, like bad posture, fickleness, bashfulness, boldness, and even fondness for spicy food (that’s it, I’m joining a nunnery!) And at the root of healthy sex drives? Poor eating habits. Meat and seasoned food brought on wanton thoughts. His solution? Dull food. So he invented the dullest of foods, Corn Flakes. Luckily for the rest of us, he got his brother Will involved. That’s because it was Will who said, “Hey, this food’s too dull. Let’s add sugar and sell it and make lot’s of money so we can meet pretty women and have lots of wanton sex.” (I may be off a little bit on the exact quotes, but that’s how I picture it.) John Harvey wanted nothing to do with it, so Will said “fine,” (or something along those lines) and opened up the Kellogg Company and started selling the Corn Flakes we all know and love and eat before and after sex.

The Breakfast of Me (Because I’m a Champion) 
Wheaties started putting athletes on their box in 1934. The very first was the great Yankee star … No, not that one, the other one … no, not him either. The guy who sort of looks like Gary Cooper. No, not him, Lou Gehrig. Since then, it seems that everyone other than dart throwers have graced the front of the box. Such sports luminaries include: Aaron Rodgers, Stephen Curry, Lindsey Vonn, Peyton Manning, Mia Hamm, Richard Petty, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Michael Jordon, Roy Campanella, Hank Greenberg, Mel Ott, and Jesse Owns.  The First High School Athlete to appear on the cover of Wheaties was Massillon, Ohio football player Chris Spielman. 

There Have Been Some Bizarre Cereals Along the Way
Cereal makers probably think we’re all so groggy in the morning that we won’t stop to think, “What the heck am I eating?!” Here’s a list of cereals—some that were actually on the market; others I can only wish for. Can you tell which is which?

1)    Sir Grapefellow
2)    Kellogg’s Oks
3)    King Vitamin
4)    Post Steak-O’s
5)    Mr. Wonderfull’s Surprize
6)    NutCases
7)    Crunchy Loggs
8)    Strawberry Colon Cleanse
9)    Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs
10)    Green Cereal & Ham
11)    Freakies
12)    Snotz
13)    Moonstones
14)    Corn Flukes (Made with real fish!)
15)    Wackies

The Marx Brothers had Zeppo; Snap!, Crackle!, and Pop! Had Pow
We all know that Rice Krispies has three “pitch elves,” but did you know at one point there was a fourth? A long, lost brother who’s never invited to family gatherings? It was in the 1950s when Pow! was introduced. He was a “spaceman,” meant to exude the power of whole grain rice, a Kellogg’s spokesman told Smithsonian.com. Unfortunately, Pow! was more of a Pfft, and was soon dropped. (These facts about our world will surprise you.)

Frosted Flakes were introduced in 1952, and its popular mascot, Tony the Tiger, was voiced by Thurl Ravenscroft for more than 50 years. A Nebraska native who left for Hollywood as a teenager, Ravenscroft provided voiceovers for many Disneyland rides, including the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. He also sang, uncredited, "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" in the famed cartoon film, How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

3 hours ago, browns52 said:

i don't think you need to hear it from any source.....if you can't tell they did not hit it off, you need to get out of denial....it was another failed cleveland project....i know everytime i saw them on the sidelines was after a miscommunicated pass play....yodell pointing one direction and baker pointing another direction after the play.....i don't think they disliked each other....they just did not have the chemistry........don't know what will happen to yodell but what fucking team would want him....maybe the pats....they have to be desparate because they only have 1 reciever and he is currently banged up....however, they tried it with antonio and we all saw how that worked out....in any event, i think the browns are already trying to figure out how to get rid of this guy.....

They've been trying to trade him but no one was offering what Mr. Jimmy wanted: a 1st round pick. But by next year, it's possible they will be so tired of him, they just pull and Jets like they did with Bell. Colin never did say that Baker and OBJ hated each other; they just aren't sympatico. I think it could be an alpha dog struggle - probably have players being boys with one guy or the other, not both. And the LV game didn't tell us much, as it was pretty near impossible to pass that day. 

49 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Doesn't this belong in the "What do you eat" thread? 

Well, let's face it: Canal Fulton is not known of its good food, unless you like eating rats. 

Someone is hiding behind their keyboard and talking tough anonymously again. 🤣

ICECHICKEN! HE USED TO BE ABLE TO BENCH 400 POUNDS! 

6 hours ago, Icecube said:

I could show you just as many takes where Colin has ben dead on. What will that prove? 

Howdy-ho... Mr. Cube, You smell like flowers...

Take it from Mr. Hankey...

If you throw enough DingleBerries (trademark pending) at a wall... some of them are bound to stick.

And your Mr. Herd is one prolific, tireless DingleBerry thrower...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Hands down.... Raisin Bran Crunch(es)...

To each country, it's own. I think we don't have them, though we would have similar stuff here. For everyday, I'm about Special K or Corn Flakes if I want to keep the sugar down. Special K having almost as much sugar as other sugary cereals is the most misleading thing I've ever seen. Corn Flakes have way less sugar and are  a middle ground to the oat, which is disgusting to me. 

6 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Honey Nut Cheerios, Raisin Bran Crunch a close second.

Damn it. Cheerios. Few times I've eaten them, but I love them.

6 hours ago, nickers said:

Golden Grahams still my fave...

Golden Graham is the cereal which my mother would buy only to be finished in less than a day. Addictive as hell. And probably the best cereal to eat with the least amount of milk possible. Amazing. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The word cereal derives from Ceres, the name of the Roman goddess of harvest and agriculture. March 7th is National Cereal Day. The first cerealgrains were domesticated by early primitive humans, about 8,000 years ago. 50 percent of Americans start their days with cereal.

I was born March 8th. That may explain why I love cereals. 

They've been trying to trade him but no one was offering what Mr. Jimmy wanted: a 1st round pick. But by next year, it's possible they will be so tired of him, they just pull and Jets like they did with Bell. Colin never did say that Baker and OBJ hated each other; they just aren't sympatico. I think it could be an alpha dog struggle - probably have players being boys with one guy or the other, not both. And the LV game didn't tell us much, as it was pretty near impossible to pass that day. 

Can’t you tell that no one gives a fuck about this thread and that we’re doing everything we can do to hijack it so piss off with whatever it is you have to say about this thread subject and go to talking about your breakfast cereal. Because talking about pink poop is more interesting.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Can’t you tell that no one gives a fuck about this thread and that we’re doing everything we can do to hijack it so piss off with whatever it is you have to say about this thread subject and go to talking about your breakfast cereal. Because talking about pink poop is more interesting.

Yea, and that's YOUR opinion. I'm not interested in your pink poop. I'm right, you're wrong. LIve with it. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Howdy-ho... Mr. Cube, You smell like flowers...

Take it from Mr. Hankey...

If you throw enough DingleBerries (trademark pending) at a wall... some of them are bound to stick.

And your Mr. Herd is one prolific, tireless DingleBerry thrower...

I'm sorry if Colin has been on the $ on the Browns, the butt hurt is strong with this one. 

5 hours ago, Icecube said:

Does that frighten the Internet tough guy? 

Behold, The Internet Tough Guy | You're Killin' Me, Smalls!

You realize you are making fun of yourself, right? Mr. "I used to bench 400 pounds" Icechicken? 😉

Is there any doubt from reading Icechicken's nonsense on here that there is a bevy of restraining orders against this lunatic? If he is this obsessed over OBJ, can you imagine the shenanigans he's pulled on people in his real life? 

9 hours ago, Icecube said:

Yea, and that's YOUR opinion. I'm not interested in your pink poop. I'm right, you're wrong. LIve with it. 

I am wrong to think that you had perhaps even the mental acuity of an amoeba. You don't.

And I repeat, NO ONE has any interest in another of your hate rants.

It tells you a lot when I find it more interesting pink poop than the "subject" (AKA beating the dead horse of a train of thought... As in a derailing train amidst a nuclear war) of a thread. 

Also cereals have been a source for the gas of the cars, but lately the prices are going so damn high (don't know in the US) that everyone is switching to conventional petrol based gas. Us included, we owned like 3 straight diesel cars at home and now back to petrol. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Nero said:

It tells you a lot when I find it more interesting pink poop than the "subject" (AKA beating the dead horse of a train of thought... As in a derailing train amidst a nuclear war) of a thread. 

Also cereals have been a source for the gas of the cars, but lately the prices are going so damn high (don't know in the US) that everyone is switching to conventional petrol based gas. Us included, we owned like 3 straight diesel cars at home and now back to petrol. Thoughts?

Thoughts?  Saying  "petrol based gas"  is redundant, isn't it? 

11 hours ago, Icecube said:

I'm sorry if Colin has been on the $ on the Browns, the butt hurt is strong with this one. 

Puh-leeze...

I don't give Cowherd a thought. He's just one in a crowdherd of sports shockjocks who compete to see who can be the most sensational.