THE BROWNS BOARD

Is it too early to admit I was wrong?

Westside Steve

9 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

They were 1 and 3 before the Giants game where he got hurt.

WSS

It's fake news. They are looking to get a mint for that first overall pick. They even have a fake picture of him after his fake surgery.😜

38 minutes ago, D Bone said:

So who's finding out more that the QB position is a fairly important one to their overall win / loss record......

McCarthy or Belichick? 

With Sony Michel and Edelman out, and you have a shadow of Cam Newton (never liked him, but what a sad sight he has become)??? 

That offense is offensive to the eyes. Brady elevated for years an average WR room. It's hard for a team to change from a QB to another one when the rest of the group wasn't great to begin with. 

The Dallas with that god awful D (good point, Tia) put EVERYTHING on Dak's shoulders, so the moment he's gone everything goes downhill. What is impressive is how fast McCarthy is losing the locker room. Garrett never lost it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

So who's finding out more that the QB position is a fairly important one to their overall win / loss record......

McCarthy or Belichick? 

The Cowboys were not a very good overall team with DAK.

I had said, all along, that it was Brady who carried BB, not the other way around.   BB can coach a defense, and make the playoffs,  but it was TB that made that team a champion.  I think they will end up at about 8-8.....a tribute to his coaching ability.  But they will not smell a title any more than the Browns did when he was here. 

52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The Cowboys were not a very good overall team with DAK.

I had said, all along, that it was Brady who carried BB, not the other way around.   BB can coach a defense, and make the playoffs,  but it was TB that made that team a champion.  I think they will end up at about 8-8.....a tribute to his coaching ability.  But they will not smell a title any more than the Browns did when he was here. 

I have to disagree. BB was building something here, and it got stifled by the move, Art, etc.

Yes, some shady stuff like video taping other teams, deflated balls, mysterious calls. 

But give the guy credit. He's simply been the best coach in the salary cap era, and it's not even close. Took out the Steelers several times in the playoffs, basically owned Peyton Manning, outsmarted the Greatest Show on Turf. Only likely candidates Eli Manning & Nick Foles got him it seems.

It's hard for me to totally defend BB but you cannot ignore what he's done. 

4 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I have to disagree. BB was building something here, and it got stifled by the move, Art, etc.

You are not actually disagreeing with me, you are supporting my views IMO.   I said that BB is a coach that can take a team to the playoffs and that he coaches defenses well.  He took his sweet time about it here, but yes, he was building, and yes it got derailed by Modell.  Nevertheless...I said that he is ONLY the championship coach that he was because he got supremely lucky to draft the guy that turned out to be the potential GOAT in round 6.

Does anyone really think that  BB could have won  6 titles with just, say, a good QB on his team?  With Drew Bledsoe (a good QB).  (no)

Yes, some shady stuff like video taping other teams, deflated balls, mysterious calls. 

But give the guy credit. He's simply been the best coach in the salary cap era, and it's not even close. Took out the Steelers several times in the playoffs, basically owned Peyton Manning, outsmarted the Greatest Show on Turf. Only likely candidates Eli Manning & Nick Foles got him it seems.

It's hard for me to totally defend BB but you cannot ignore what he's done. 

I don't ignore what he has done WITH Tom Brady playing for him.  Beyond that, honestly, I don't know that he would have been any better than Chuck Knox or Marty Schottenheimer.....really good playoff caliber  coaches, but apparently not Super Bowl metal guys. 

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

About Mike McCarthy?

😮

WSS

lmao...

For the record I wasn't keeping track of your bad calls... I barely have time to keep track of my own.

... but way to man up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I also admit I was torn between Rosen and Mayfield. My head said Rosen my heart said Mayfield.

🙊🙉🙈

WSS

I thought Rosen would be better than he turned out to be. Allen has been a real surprise -- not the same QB that came out of Wyoming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

So in hiring a new head coach the goal is not to improve the success of the team?

WSS

The purpose of hiring a new coach is to renew fan interest to keep those season tickets selling like hotcakes, fill the owner's pocket and produce yet another shitty team until we wash and repeat for more 🤑. Works in Cleveland and Jerryworld has a more expensive snazzy venue. Overcharge for those beers & goodies. Make the suckers come back yearly.😁

So what’s the play?? Sell the top 3 pick to the highest bidder or sell Dak for whatever they may get after the 2021 season and sit the new, cheap, healthy QB this upcoming season???

Im selling Dak and if I were Cleveland, I’d offer a day 2 pick if Baker doesn’t show more improvement and Daks medicals check out.

46 minutes ago, JDailey23 said:

So what’s the play?? Sell the top 3 pick to the highest bidder or sell Dak for whatever they may get after the 2021 season and sit the new, cheap, healthy QB this upcoming season???

Im selling Dak and if I were Cleveland, I’d offer a day 2 pick if Baker doesn’t show more improvement and Daks medicals check out.

Just  no.  

If there were truly an executive decision made to move away from Baker,  going that direction would be about the last thing I would consider. 

1 hour ago, JDailey23 said:

Dak will be back... and a 2nd ain't gonna get it done.

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

So in hiring a new head coach the goal is not to improve the success of the team?

WSS

Not when the team is a damn mess. It takes time, your perspective on this is why the Browns are continually in the gutter.  If you fire every damn coach that has a tough time in a season or two you stay in the revolving door.  Continuity needs to exist and while McCarthy lost his job in GB he still had success in GB, the team has to be ready to win to actually win.  A coach isn't going to immediately right those wrongs.  Jerry jones is also a problem in dallas.

48 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Jerry jones is also a problem in dallas.

What is happening to the Cowboys could not happen to a better person. 

I mean seriously, is there any professional sports team in the U.S. that gets more undeserved attention than the Cowboys? 

• Like 1

Injuries are a big part of Dallas' "mess", but he wasn't winning early in the season when they were relatively healthy.

In McCarthy's case I think the biggest question is whether he has "it" anymore. A lot of the reason he was sent packing from GB was that his Offense was seen as stale. You don't have to HC for 30 years to have the game pass you by... and in Mike's case it just may have.

Plus do you get a "leader" vibe from him? I don't...

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Injuries are a big part of Dallas' "mess", but he wasn't winning early in the season when they were relatively healthy.

In McCarthy's case I think the biggest question is whether he has "it" anymore. A lot of the reason he was sent packing from GB was that his Offense was seen as stale. You don't have to HC for 30 years to have the game pass you by... and in Mike's case it just may have.

Plus do you get a "leader" vibe from him? I don't...

I don't follow McCarthy closely but you aren't wrong.  I also 1000% agree on the leadership vibe.  I sometimes can't tell if he's going through his thoughts or preparing to shit his pants. lol

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

What is happening to the Cowboys could not happen to a better person. 

I mean seriously, is there any professional sports team in the U.S. that gets more undeserved attention than the Cowboys? 

You can thank the "Americas team" mantra that was actually offered to the Steelers.  The Chief nicely told them to stick it up their ass. lol

28 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

You can thank the "Americas team" mantra that was actually offered to the Steelers.  The Chief nicely told them to stick it up their ass. lol

It originated with Dallas when Roger Staubach was the QB, Naval Academy Grad and Vietnam Veteran. He was sometime called Capt. America back then among other things.

I always heard that "America's Team" was bestowed on the Boys by Sabol and NFL Films. It was the title of one of their season summary productions for Dallas.

And wasn't Roger's nickname Capt. Comeback?

I'd never heard it was offered to PTG first...  although given the year, 1978, that the moniker was coined, it would make sense that PTG would be a candidate as the 70's was kinda their decade. Their 1978 NFL Films summary was titled Return of the Champions.