THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 10: Texans @ Browns... Bye-Bye, Bye / Hello, Houston

Tour2ma

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Apparently the bettors are thinking the same thing, because the Browns are only favored by 2.5 or 3 points.... A 5-3 team at home against a 2-6 road team, that small a favorite? 

And I am much more concerned about what JJ Watt does to Baker who already has happy feet. This could turn into another 6 point fiasco in a NY minute with multiple Baker turnovers.

51 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Short and sweet Injury Report for us...

image.png.392954d05cadf14dbad152b8dc088964.png

No update for HOU as yet...

YES !

https://www.brownsnation.com/nick-chubb-back-from-injury-expected-to-play-against-texans/

https://www.brownsnation.com/wyatt-teller-returns-to-practice-for-browns/

that would be awesome

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Apparently the bettors are thinking the same thing, because the Browns are only favored by 2.5 or 3 points.... A 5-3 team at home against a 2-6 road team, that small a favorite? 

Lord I want to be wrong. I'm going through the scenarios in my mind and they don't look good. The only way we win is if we jump out to a lead, Myles makes a huge play, then we essentially play keep away with our running game. Basically, the same formula we've used to win 5 games, but this will be tough because Watson will torment us. He had a few CLUTCH runs against the Jags, and that's what will hurt us the most. I have no faith in our Lb's. 

In the last 3-4 games, Watson has played about as good as anyone in the league. He has a QB rating of over 100, he's not turning it over, and he's hitting Fuller for one TD bomb every single week. We've forced ONE punt in the last two games, and lord knows that won't cut it. 

I'm going to make a separate post later about why I think we'll win, mainly because I don't WANT to think like this, LOL. The Texans are scoring a BUNCH of points, but they're also giving up a lot, too. If we can run the ball effectively, we'll have a decent chance to win in the 4th. But make no mistake about it, this will be an absolute dog fight to the finish. Texans are likely to clog everything up and force us to pass the ball. We're going to have Hodge open deep at least once this game, just have to hit him. 

We’ve said the same things since week 1.

We need to control the clock; run the ball and play keep away because the defense isn’t good. That approach will not change with any opponent.  The state of affairs is so bad defensively that If we don’t execute well offensively we can lose to the Jets.  

We are going to have trouble with ANY offense (Jets included) that executes well makes throws and catches the ball.  Aside from Myles, there is NO playmaking happening on our defense.  We have guys missing tackles, dropping picks, showing up late in coverage.  Last week the big uglies got pushed around.  

Right now it’s let’s hope Myles creates a turnover or they miss a throw or drop a pass.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Oh, Greedy is "working hard....." Thank God for that. What is the longest stretch that he has been healthy the last 2 seasons? A week? Looking like a failed high draft pick. 

Browns should win this game with ease. 31-17. 

Greedy is making the decision to resign Mitchell this offseason a must.  

IMO Mitchell is becoming the most essential guy we need to resign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

We’ve said the same things since week 1.

We need to control the clock; run the ball and play keep away because the defense isn’t good. That approach will not change with any opponent.  The state of affairs is so bad defensively that If we don’t execute well offensively we can lose to the Jets.  

We are going to have trouble with ANY offense (Jets included) that executes well makes throws and catches the ball.  Aside from Myles, there is NO playmaking happening on our defense.  We have guys missing tackles, dropping picks, showing up late in coverage.  Last week the big uglies got pushed around.  

Right now it’s let’s hope Myles creates a turnover or they miss a throw or drop a pass. 

Kinda agree... which ain't bad for us.... ;)

Ball control is a plus, but we have to put up points... a bunch of points. Just so happens that the two go hand in hand for us due to our run dependence to set up our passing game.

In turn our points create the pressure on our opponents to score, which shelves their run game driving them into the arms of our D's true strength... rushing the passer. Then with our DBs sitting back in a zone they can make plays on any errant balls the pressure creates.

• Upvote 1

From another hidden gem website...   The run game for the Cleveland Browns is their biggest offensive strength this season. They are top ten in the NFL in rushing attempts and yards led by Kareem Hunt’s 529 yards, which is 10th in the NFL. Their offensive line has been terrific in the run game with 4.87 adjusted line yards, which is third in the NFL, and their 1.59 average 2nd level yards value, which leads the league. With the return of Nick Chubb this week, their run game will improve dramatically with two healthy elite running backs. The Texans are the second most rushed against team, giving up 5.1 yards per carry to opponents and nearly 160 rushing yards per game, the worst in the NFL.

full link...  https://www.lineups.com/articles/cleveland-browns-vs-houston-texans-matchup-preview-11-15-20-betting-odds-depth-charts-live-stream-watch-online/

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

Even if they do, got to draft a CB high in the draft too. And obviously a few LBs. 

Absolutely.  I don’t even care if we keep Ward honestly.  In that case you need 1A and 1b at that position. 

Ward had made a few plays this year but when time comes are we going to pay him Top 5 corner money? 

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Kinda agree... which ain't bad for us.... ;)

Ball control is a plus, but we have to put up points... a bunch of points. Just so happens that the two go hand in hand for us due to our run dependence to set up our passing game.

In turn our points create the pressure on our opponents to score, which shelves their run game driving them into the arms of our D's true strength... rushing the passer. Then with our DBs sitting back in a zone they can make plays on any errant balls the pressure creates.

But even our strength is negated by leaving the middle of the field open and Playing off coverage on the outside.   

QBs do three step drops and hit wide open WRs and we let WRs run free with yards after catch. 

I did not have this as a Must Win game...but I DID have the Raiders game as a Must Win...and we lost.  So now, this is a Must Win game . (IMO)

The season-long stats show us as a very strong running team.  What those stats don't show is that we haven't been a real strong running team since we lost Chubb, Teller & OBJ.  Teller may be more valuable than we thought.

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

Even if they do, got to draft a CB high in the draft too. And obviously a few LBs. 

How many "high" draft picks do you think we have?

Personally...I'm one of the biggest Clemson fans living in NC :ph34r:(2nd place homers, to my hometown tBuckeyes)... My 2nd daughter graduated a Tiger a year after Deshaun Watson got drafted.. Need-less to say "both, Watson & D.Hopkins" became easy 'good guys' to root for, thru her college days... saw some practices & games, thru good solid friendships, that will call during & after this game(book'd it)... I've heard about enough from these such friends :P since Ryan Mallet hit a 2 yard pass to JJ Watt in 2014... to Watson & Hopkins rag rolling us twice in 2017 & 18 down in Houston... I will not... have or see any kind of wild gameday predictions on this game...

Even though, with the loss of DeAndre Hopkins(stupid'est trade O'Brain ever made)...Houdini Watson still carries the 8th highest completion percentage at 68.3% this season..Throwing to  a corp of Will Fuller, Brandon Cooks, Kenny Stills & ageless Randall Cobb... Brees leads again at over 70%...Baker is ranked 29th at 61.4%... What did the pro scouts miss in DeShaun Watson? Certainly was not his tude, he's one of the most level headed professional person's you'd ever meet..  He's calm, cool & Accurate!! Career rating of 67.1.... Go Browns!! Run Chubby Run !!..And I'll be pulling up a chair, with all 3 daughters & some Clemson fans to HOPEFULLY* enjoy a Brown💲WIN!! (the gambling wagers are still coming in)  

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Houdini Watson still carries the 8th highest completion percentage at 68.3% this season..Throwing to  a corp of Will Fuller, Brandon Cooks, Kenny Stills & ageless Randall Cobb

Scary, considering our pass defense.  And, of course, there's our RUN defense....

We're going to have to score points.   

Btw, I think the weather is going to be super shitty again. God forbid we have a game last week when it was perfect outside. I absolutely hate watching rainy, windy football. Especially because it favors the defense, and we don't have one. 

I'm definitely praying to the weather gods. 

9 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Btw, I think the weather is going to be super shitty again. God forbid we have a game last week when it was perfect outside. I absolutely hate watching rainy, windy football. Especially because it favors the defense, and we don't have one. 

I'm definitely praying to the weather gods. 

I don’t know.  If we get Teller and Chubb back.  I’ll take the weather.

Texans could have David Johnson out and they will count on Duke Johnson.  As long as we realize the threat that will now pose - the short  pass game with Watson running.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Orion said:

I did not have this as a Must Win game...but I DID have the Raiders game as a Must Win...and we lost.  So now, this is a Must Win game . (IMO)

The season-long stats show us as a very strong running team.  What those stats don't show is that we haven't been a real strong running team since we lost Chubb, Teller & OBJ.  Teller may be more valuable than we thought.

The offense is just different with Chubb and Teller out there. Teams can’t bring #24 down easily and it opens up the PA.
 Hooper is a good blocker who hasn’t broke out as a receiver yet.

The worse the weather gets, the better for Chubb and the run game.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

The worse the weather gets, the better for Chubb and the run game.

I would have agreed with you, but we couldn't get it done against the Raiders, and the weather was abysmal. Now, we didn't have Chubb or Teller, but still...it was our kind of game and we couldn't get it done, largely because we have the worst defense I've seen since 99 or 2000. It's that bad. 

You want some good news? Pete Smith of Sports Illustrated predicts us to win and doesn't think we'll have a problem with the Texans. I think it'll be a huge problem, but then again, he knows a shit load more about football than I do, so maybe that will help everyone sleep! 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I would have agreed with you, but we couldn't get it done against the Raiders, and the weather was abysmal. Now, we didn't have Chubb or Teller, but still...it was our kind of game and we couldn't get it done, largely because we have the worst defense I've seen since 99 or 2000. It's that bad. 

You want some good news? Pete Smith of Sports Illustrated predicts us to win and doesn't think we'll have a problem with the Texans. I think it'll be a huge problem, but then again, he knows a shit load more about football than I do, so maybe that will help everyone sleep! 

I know Pete Smith personally.

Don't sell yourself short on your football knowledge in comparison.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 9:44 AM, Icecube said:

Browns should win this game with ease. 31-17. 

No deep threats will create loaded boxes against the run..How many weeks shall we wait on your claim of " No OBJ makes this team better"? Have ya seen our defense? Teams are what their record says they are? In your best bogus Browns fan opinion...Whom on Houston's schedule are the Browns beating?   

Regular Season

WK DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L HI PASS HI RUSH HI REC
1 Thu, Sep 10 L34-20 0-1 Watson 253 Johnson 77 Fuller V 112
2 Sun, Sep 20 L33-16 0-2 Watson 275 Johnson 34 Cooks 95
3 Sun, Sep 27 L28-21 0-3 Watson 264 Johnson 23 Cobb 95
4 Sun, Oct 4 L31-23 0-4 Watson 300 Johnson 63 Fuller V 108
5 Sun, Oct 11 W30-14 1-4 Watson 359 Johnson 96 Cooks 161
6 Sun, Oct 18 L42-36 OT 1-5 Watson 335 Johnson 57 Fuller V 123
7 Sun, Oct 25 L35-20 1-6 Watson 309 Johnson 42 Cobb 95
8 BYE WEEK
9 Sun, Nov 8 W27-25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Whom on Houston's schedule are the Browns beating?   

I keep telling people that same thing. Houston is a victim of bad coaching, bad transactions, and a horrid schedule. Are they good? Not really, BUT...they have a good QB. I honestly think we're in deep shit this game, and it looks like we're going to have another awful weather day which drives me insane. If we played their schedule, we'd probably be around the same record. I love our team, I think we have heart, but we're not a complete unit yet. Our defense is just too terrible for us to really contend. 

4 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

The offense is just different with Chubb and Teller out there.

Chubb is no guarantee for Sunday.  A decision won't be made until Friday the earliest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Chubb is no guarantee for Sunday.  A decision won't be made until Friday the earliest.

There's a part of me that doesn't want him to play. I just want him to be totally healed for the stretch run! 

• Upvote 1

Both teams play in weather.. Houston played in Jacksonville last week at 71 degrees, with 17 miles per hour pre-hurricane winds last week... a Cleveland// 50/50 chance of rain with 13-15 mph winds & upper 50's ain't bothering a high school football player...

I'm more interested in 1) coming out playing with our rested air on fire. JJ Watt angry game faces on.. 2) A Pissed off angry defense after that last performance ? 

a) look coaching prepared..   2 weeks to know what Houston & Philly do on game tape? do we know whats coming? we should... 

B thru Z) don't care who gets #23 off the field... but Harrison working along side with Joseph needs to happen.. LB'ers---they can't miss tackles & not cover?  CB's--after Ward & Mitchell? have we found a CB3? L.Tunsil, plays on a OL that ranks dead last in pass pro..That does not mean your best pass rusher in Garrett has to line-up against their best lineman...  Wood's earned his DC position being a good secondary coach...(Well, 8 games in the books... Lets see👀 something has to change!!