THE BROWNS BOARD

Grats to Detroit

tinythinker

Yeah the Lions aren't the Browns or even in the same conference but as only other old school team who has won NFL championships but never even made it to one in the Superbowl era, their fans have suffered as well. But they are finally free of a coach who drove some of the best players from a winning team and was such a jerk that former Lions are publicly cheering his departure.

The race to see whether Cleveland or Detroit will make it to a Superbowl first is back on.

This summary (last updated January 2020) gives us perspective on that...

Two bright spots are Mike Vrabel in Tennessee and maybe Kliff Kingsbury who is trying to help Arizona turn a corner.

We can also add a new Belichick alum to the overall list, Joe Judge, who is currently 3-7 in his first year with the New York Giants. Technically the Giants are still in the playoff hunt with a chance to win the NFC East.

Al Groh

Under Belichick: Browns linebackers coach (1992)

NFL head coaching stint: Jets (2000)

Career record: 9-7

Romeo Crennel

Under Belichick: Patriots defensive coordinator (2001-04)

NFL head coaching stints: Cleveland Browns (2005-08), Kansas City Chiefs (2011-12)

Career record: 28-55

Record in first season as head coach: 6-10

Nick Saban

Under Belichick: Browns defensive coordinator (1991-94)

NFL head coaching stint: Miami Dolphins (2005-06)

Career record: 15-17

Record in first season as head coach: 9-7

*Saban left Miami for Alabama, where he has won five of his six NCAA championships and has gone 152-23 in 13 seasons.

Eric Mangini

Under Belichick: Patriots defensive backs coach (2000-04); defensive coordinator (2005)

NFL head coaching stints: Jets (2006-08), Cleveland Browns (2009-10)

Career record: 33-47

Record in first season as head coach: 10-6

Jim Schwartz

Under Belichick: Browns research assistant/scout (1993-95)

NFL head coaching stint: Detroit Lions (2009-13)

Career record: 29-51

Record in first season as head coach: 2-14

Josh McDaniels

Under Belichick: Patriots personnel assistant (2001); defensive assistant (2002-03); quarterbacks coach (2004-08 and 2012-19); offensive coordinator (2006-08 and 2012-19)

NFL head coaching stint: Broncos (2009-10)

Career record: 11-17

Record in first season as head coach: 8-8

Bill O’Brien

Under Belichick: Patriots offensive assistant (2007); wide receivers coach (2008); quarterbacks coach (2009-10); offensive coordinator (2010)

NFL head coaching stints: Houston Texans (2014-present)  <-- went 0-4 in 2020 season and was fired during season

Career record: 52-44

Matt Patricia

Under Belichick: Patriots offensive assistant (2004); assistant offensive line coach (2005); linebackers coach (2006-10); safeties coach (2011); defensive coordinator (2012-17)

NFL head coaching stints: Detroit Lions (2018-present)  <-- went 4-7 in 2020 season and was fired during season

Career record: 9-22-1

Record in first season as head coach: 6-10

Brian Flores

Under Belichick: Patriots scouting assistant (2004-05); pro scout (2006-07); special teams assistant (2008-09); assistant offense/special teams coach (2010); defensive assistant (2011); safeties coach (2012-15); linebackers coach (2016-18)

NFL head coaching stint: Miami Dolphins (2019-present)

Career record: 5-11

Mike Vrabel

Under Belichick: Patriots linebacker (2001-08)

NFL head coaching stint: Titans (2018-present)

Career record: 18-14  <-- Currently 25-17 as HC, and 7-3 this season before today's game/2nd place in AFC South

Kliff Kingsbury

Under Belichick: Patriots quarterback/offensive quality control coach (2003)

NFL head coaching stint: Arizona Cardinals (2019-present)

Career record: 5-10-1 <-- Currently 11-13-1 as HC, and 6-4 before today's game/3rd place in NFC West

I forgot about Vrabel.....and how could I?   His Dad was the Football coach at my high school.   I believe will turn out to be the best of those.  He has already had a lot of success. 

And I did not know that Kingsbury was once a Pats asst.  (though apparently for just one year).

O'Brien seemed to be the one that would have worked out....but no. 

Yeah, but still the overall rate of translating "worked under Bill" to "successful HC" isn't great. Not Belichick's fault that people assume there is some kind of magical transference of talent and winning to his fomer assistants, though. It's too early to judge... Judge, but if he can turn around the Giants to even an 8-10 win-per-year team over his first couple of years count that as a big success.

4 minutes ago, tinythinker said:

Yeah, but still the overall rate of translating "worked under Bill" to "successful HC" isn't great. Not Belichick's fault that people assume there is some kind of magical transference of talent and winning to his fomer assistants, though. It's too early to judge... Judge, but if he can turn around the Giants to even an 8-10 win-per-year team over his first couple of years count that as a big success.

None of them have taken Tom Brady with them....that is a particular key  IMO. 

I said years ago... And I believe it Now... BB is a big NOTHING without Tom Brady..... And so far.. Cam has SUCKED!.... Tom Brady is doing pretty well in Tampa.. And will probably make BA look like a genius...

4 hours ago, nickers said:

I said years ago... And I believe it Now... BB is a big NOTHING without Tom Brady..... And so far.. Cam has SUCKED!.... Tom Brady is doing pretty well in Tampa.. And will probably make BA look like a genius...

Agree for the most part.  I would not say "nothing"....he still coaches a good defense, and can be a playoff coach. But Super Bowls?  Nyet. 

• Upvote 1

Adding Kingsbury to this seems a pretty far stretch.. Kingsbury learned the spread under both Holgorsen and Sumlin who were disciples of the Hal Mumme Air Raid.  Both of those experiences were after he stopped coaching NE.

He was only part of the Pats as an entry-level coach in the first year he stopped being paid as a pro player.

Also, Vrabel was never a Pats coach.. he spent 3 seasons as a OSU coach so if you want to put him on a tree, he's part of the Urban Meyer tree.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2020 at 10:44 AM, tinythinker said:

This summary (last updated January 2020) gives us perspective on that...

Two bright spots are Mike Vrabel in Tennessee and maybe Kliff Kingsbury who is trying to help Arizona turn a corner.

We can also add a new Belichick alum to the overall list, Joe Judge, who is currently 3-7 in his first year with the New York Giants. Technically the Giants are still in the playoff hunt with a chance to win the NFC East.

Nick Saban

Under Belichick: Browns defensive coordinator (1991-94)

NFL head coaching stint: Miami Dolphins (2005-06)

Career record: 15-17

*Saban left Miami for Alabama, where he has won five of his six NCAA championships and has gone 152-23 in 13 seasons.

Hmm   Nick Satan went from LSU to the Dolphins to Alabama.    He also was at Michigan State

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 9:48 AM, tinythinker said:

Yeah the Lions aren't the Browns or even in the same conference but as only other old school team who has won NFL championships but never even made it to one in the Superbowl era, their fans have suffered as well. But they are finally free of a coach who drove some of the best players from a winning team and was such a jerk that former Lions are publicly cheering his departure.

The race to see whether Cleveland or Detroit will make it to a Superbowl first is back on.

Detroit won 4 NFL Championships.   I doubt any Lions fan gives a fuck ...unless they have a Gipper amongst them.  lol

13 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Detroit won 4 NFL Championships.   I doubt any Lions fan gives a fuck ...unless they have a Gipper amongst them.  lol

Only  two titles are relevant at all:    the last one, and the next one.     So, only the Chiefs current title is of any current consequence. And who will win this year.    The 4 titles the Lions have won are just as relevant to right now as the one  won 2 years ago by the Patriots. They are just history.