THE BROWNS BOARD

Hey tia, Flugel and Tour!!

TexasAg1969

Same rule as has been, Ag. If a 2nd blocker goes low on a defender while an initial blocker is engaged high, then blocker #2's block is an illegal chop block.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/chop-block/

If you have time of game examples, I'll look at the game recording.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Same rule as has been, Ag. If a 2nd blocker goes low on a defender while an initial blocker is engaged high, then blocker #2's block is an illegal chop block.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/chop-block/

If you have time of game examples, I'll look at the game recording.

The one I especially wondered about was on an OL going low with no other players around other than the one he was blocking. Is there a rule about how far downfield or in some particular zone you may or may not go low individually?

I plan to watch the game again today, so I'll find the time line for you.

I watched every play and could not find it. It must have been one of the college games I saw Sat. where the chop block was called on a lineman downfield by himself going low on a defender with no one else around. I thought college rules were the same as NFL in that it is only valid if two blocker (hi & low) are involved in the block.

36 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I watched every play and could not find it. It must have been one of the college games I saw Sat. where the chop block was called on a lineman downfield by himself going low on a defender with no one else around. I thought college rules were the same as NFL in that it is only valid if two blocker (hi & low) are involved in the block.

google is your friend... :)

Found this... apparently the NCAA added to its NFL-like, Hi-Lo, chop rule in 2018.

Officially, the new chop-block rule states:

— No offensive player except offensive linemen can block below the waist unless coming toward the opponent’s front.

— No player can block below the waist 5 or more yards past the line of scrimmage and no player can block below the waist while moving backward toward its own line of scrimmage.

https://wvmetronews.com/2018/08/27/chop-block-rule-change-fuels-questions-skepticism/

So...

• WRs and RBs (and the occasional QB) can never go low from the side; and
  • no one can block low from any angle more than 5-yds downfield; and
  • adds an element of NFL's crack-back rule.

It was all news to me as well.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

google is your friend... :)

Found this... apparently the NCAA added to its NFL-like, Hi-Lo, chop rule in 2018.

So...

• WRs and RBs (and the occasional QB) can never go low from the side; and
  • no one can block low from any angle more than 5-yds downfield; and
  • adds an element of NFL's crack-back rule.

It was all news to me as well.

Yep-that was it because they were downfield more than 5 yds. I think it might have been an A&M lineman against Auburn. They are all taught downfield blocking in their run first offense, but you can bet Jimbo is going to re-educate them all on below the waste blocks that far downfield. You could see the OL involved didn't get it with his questioning shoulders & hands up towards the ref in a WTF did I do look.