THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Ex-Coach gets the Boot

hoorta

38 minutes ago, hoorta said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-fire-dc-gregg-williams-in-aftermath-of-last-second-loss-to-raiders

Carr called it the dumbest defensive alignment he's ever seen. Checked into max protect and it allowed him time to launch the winning pass. 

See where I previously said that it was maybe the second  worst coaching call I have seen other than the Pete Carroll Super Bowl call to throw the ball from the 2 rather than give it to Beast Mode to pound into the end zone.

But, then....we also have to consider just about any call that was made by Freddie Kitchens. 

• Haha 2

Just now, The Gipper said:

Here you go,  ad hoc survey question: 

Who was the worst HC we have had since 1999?    Who do you think was the worst  coordinator? 

Huey was the absolute worst ever HC. There are just too many coordinators to list in a multiple tie.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Who was the worst HC we have had since 1999?    Who do you think was the worst  coordinator? 

That Jim guy under Pettine, I think he cost Mike his job

• Like 1

I think the Browns fans won’t forget this. . .

Williams has been known for exotic, risky and sometimes excessive blitzing, which can prove fruitful when timed right, but often hangs his players out to dry. The irony in this situation: Williams is also a coach who was once so afraid to get beat deep, he'd line up a safety -- typically, it was Jabrill Peppers-- 20-plus yards deep during his time as the defensive coordinator in Cleveland, opening up massive space underneath for opponents to exploit for healthy gains while ensuring his unit never gave up the biggest of plays.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow... folks' memories 'round here are shit. I know I remember how we were instantly better under Greg when he replaced Hue.

While I'm elated that we've ultimately landed with Stef, Greg should have been our 2019 HC. But no-o-o-o... Dorsey needed a balless HC so we got Fat Freddie Fingered.

Gase is simply trying to forestall his own firing. He has a headset. He heard Greg call the D. He could have overruled it.

Was it a smart call by Greg? No, but I'll bet it was only one of many calls that contributed to the loss. This ain't Little League where the kids blame Timmy for a loss because he made the last out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

While I'm elated that we've ultimately landed with Stef, Greg should have been our 2019 HC. But no-o-o-o... Dorsey needed a balless HC so we got Fat Freddie Fingered.

Actually, we interviewed Stef.  And DePodesta wanted him.  But, as it turned out, Dorsey committed professional suicide by hiring the country bumpkin instead of the smart guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Wow... folks' memories 'round here are shit. I know I remember how we were instantly better under Greg when he replaced Hue.

Gase is simply trying to forestall his own firing. He has a headset. He heard Greg call the D. He could have overruled it.

Was it a smart call by Greg? No, but I'll bet it was only one of many calls that contributed to the loss. This ain't Little League where the kids blame Timmy for a loss because he made the last out.

Williams was an instant upgrade over Hue.  I agree that he should have been given the permanent head coach job in 2019.  I also agree that Stef has done a great job

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Freddie kitchens was the worst coach. Worse even than hue jackson. He had a ton of talent and pissed it away. Hue jackson had mostly mediocre talent and pissed it away. 

7 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Adam Gase is a fucking oddball, no idea how he's in charge of a NFL team

He got a free pass from Peyton Manning's buddy on that deal... otherwise... He's persona Non Grata....

The Jets defense was dirty as hell, I still remember what they did to the Broncos' backup QB in his debut some weeks ago. I won't miss him. 

I normally ain't the conspiracy type, but the Jags had lost their very close game MOMENTS before this absolutely insane defensive call was made. Like, a pee-wee coach wouldn't call an all out blitz level insane. Really, really hard not to at least entertain the idea there was a "blow this game" thought process there.

8 hours ago, nickers said:

Yeah , Jim O'Brien was a dud!

Jim O'Neil...

Agree was in over his head as Pet's DC, but he's still in the league on Gruden's LVR staff coaching DBs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Jim O'Neil...

Agree was in over his head as Pet's DC, but he's still in the league on Gruden's LVR staff coaching DBs.

I guess I had "Bill O'brien on the brain lol...