THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Ex-Coach gets the Boot

hoorta

9 hours ago, Barry said:

So everyone is 100% sure that that defensive call wasn't done intentionally to lose the game, and when there was such blow-back Williams became the fall guy?

Somehow I don't see Williams' ego allowing him to take the fall for anyone.  I mean, now, who's going to hire him as a coach after that call?

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I mean, now, who's going to hire him as a coach after that call?

I'd put the over/under at 4... ;)

My first thought was Seattle under Carroll. Pete always seems to have one vet Coach on staff. Then Gruden occurred to me. MOst likely is any team looking up at the Jets' 19th-ranked run-D and 20 sack total.... and that's about 4 teams.

The man can coach. He's been a NFL DC for 19 years and a HC for 4 more. Getting over-aggressive on one call does not change that.

The best part of that last infamous play of the Jets/Raiders game is that only one of the safeties actually blitzed... the other one was five to ten yards off the LOS shadowing Carr, for reasons unknown to anyone who has ever watched one minute of football. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The best part of that last infamous play of the Jets/Raiders game is that only one of the safeties actually blitzed... the other one was five to ten yards off the LOS shadowing Carr, for reasons unknown to anyone who has ever watched one minute of football. 

Yup... had he not delayed he should have ended up right in Carr's step-up spot... and there'd be a very different narrative today.

That said... personally I thought he was checking that the RB did not slip out of the backfield on a hot route that could have gone the distance.

Little did that Safety know I'd started that RB in our FF league here, so there's was no chance he'd score.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2020 at 5:28 PM, Orion said:

Somehow I don't see Williams' ego allowing him to take the fall for anyone.  I mean, now, who's going to hire him as a coach after that call?

Just for sake of argument I'd wonder which F.O. would hire him if he 'came clean' and said he was told by Gase (and therefore implicates the F.O.) to lose the game?

13 minutes ago, Barry said:

Just for sake of argument I'd wonder which F.O. would hire him if he 'came clean' and said he was told by Gase (and therefore implicates the F.O.) to lose the game?

Man, you got to think he'd be blackballed if he did that. That would be breaking the NFL's omerta. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Al Davis?   

...nah,  he was Just Win...

I KNOW!  Haslam woulda' hired him!

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, Barry said:

So everyone is 100% sure that that defensive call wasn't done intentionally to lose the game, and when there was such blow-back Williams became the fall guy?

I agree Williams is the fall guy.. because Gase is both incompetent and insecure.  GW does blitz alot so I don't necessarily think he was tanking on purpose... it just so magically happened to work out that way.  Ruggs [and his 4.2 40] was matched up 1:1 with a UDFA rookie.. Seems legit.  

On 12/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, Barry said:

AGREED. You think Williams still wants to be there? He's home for the holidays, still respected in the league to get a job AND he gets to make Gase look like a bigger fool than people already think he is ! 

Williams is a GENIUS !