THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 14: BLT @ CLE on MNF... Is shit is about to get real? Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore(so)"...

Tour2ma

We have the rare Saturday Practice Reports...

Ward and Hodge Out. Hoop DNP'd again.

image.thumb.png.88950c619ad92e9f18ac2fb7626bf615.png

Meanwhile in Raven-land... Campbell and Williams looking really iffy. Most of rest good to go, but a new name, Wilson (TE) appears.

image.thumb.png.98ad299602992454439a5ce9afc6012b.png

Again nothing to add from Injury reports except that Teller is still listed as Out.

Not much different from Rats site after practice either...  https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/who-s-playing-who-s-not-vs-browns-x0092 

Would you not try some? up tempo/no huddle sets to trap some Rats from Rotating 🤔 

13 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Would you not try some? up tempo/no huddle sets to trap some Rats from Rotating 🤔 

Good question which I'll answer with one...

Since we run so many 12 and 13 packages, if we get into a 3rd and long, are you willing to go with either of those personnel groups?

Maybe in a 12 with Hunt on the field, but otherwise I'd think we'd want to do a lil subbing ourselves.

Of course it's not as iff we can go 5 WR with only 4 active... ;)

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Good question which I'll answer with one...  Good! Riddle me off 2 more 🤓

Maybe in a 12 with Hunt on the field, but otherwise I'd think we'd want to do a lil subbing ourselves.

1) I reviewed the tv broadcast twice.. I don't recall anything live, that would have put Hooper in a spot with having a neck injury..Am I missing something on the tv broadcast?

2) My Toledo Rocket-man Hunt👀... Live!==There ain't noway Baker can see lil'Hunt over them DL trees, than over/under them titans LB'er trees 🎄 in the middle.. I counted.. Once! Baker could have thrown Hunt open over the middle & under safety help..

NFL True Fact.... Defenses don't let guys get wide open... But man did Baker see a few coverage's that he lit up 🔥 (more of that please!)   

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

When was the last time Baker threw a pass over the middle to anyone?

First 8 games, hardly at all. Last 4 games, you're starting to see it a bit more. Several to Landry, DPJ and Higgins. The reason it's happening a bit more is Baker is much more adept at moving defenders with his eyes, and he's also understanding where to go with the ball against the defense. To be fair, we haven't exactly played many nasty defenses lately, but whatever. Not our fault. The odd thing to me is that we haven't been targeting TEs hardly at all, and I really don't like the fact that Hooper is out (probably). 

Additionally, the passes over the middle are also a result of Baker being more comfortable with the empty formations. An analyst I respect was saying Baker excelling in the empty is what will make him extremely dangerous moving forward because Stefanski will use so much motion and switch formations so often during one play that it's very difficult for a defense to be prepared. We're comfortable flaring out our TEs wide, bunching them up, bringing them to the backfield, and we'll do the same thing with our WRs AND our RBs. Heck, we had Jarvis in the backfield for a play last game and did play-action to him, and then threw it to him. 

The reason I don't love our game tomorrow is because the Ravens play aggressive man coverage and I don't think we have the personnel to win consistently, and basically nobody runs on the Ravens, so our play-action passing attack is going to be neutered. They're going to crowd the line of scrimmage, fire their DEs directly to Baker (ignoring the handoff), and trust their corners to lock down our receivers. If the refs let them get away with murder, we're screwed. 

The DEs firing to Baker is what's causing our intentional grounding streak, if anyone is curious. What defenses are doing is essentially telling their DEs, "Look, he snaps that ball and no matter WHAT, you go after the QB. Let your teammates tackle the RB if it's handed off, but you stay on Baker." I believe we now have 4 straight games with a grounding penalty, and that's the most I've ever seen. These are happening when Baker turns around after a play-fake and has a gigantic man 8 inches from his face. He doesn't want to take a sack so he flings it out of bounds. Now, the COUNTER to this defensive maneuver is the cutback lane on the handoff. You may remember the announcer in one of our recent games saying, "Browns now specifically targeting the cutback lanes." 

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Ravens have their entire season on the line and I'm not sure we're ready to knock out big brother. Too many things have to go right, and we're not there yet. Prove me wrong, Brownies! LET'S GO! 

• Like 1

Hooper, Ward and Hodge are out. Teller is probably HOPEFULLY.

Going to be a blockbuster game - the Browns are now a team that has FUN fighting

every play. With this coaching staff...they are fun to watch -  adversity doesn't faze them, they just

kick in to a meaner, higher gear.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Going to be a blockbuster game - the Browns are now a team that has FUN fighting

every play. With this coaching staff...they are fun to watch -  adversity doesn't faze them, they just

Has Ward ever been "in"? 

10 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Man I want this game so bad. Maybe more than I've wanted a Browns victory than I can remember. The reason is obviously for our season and post season goals, but also there's more to it. We need to be able to beat Baltimore and Pittsburgh. We somehow beat the Ravens once in each of last two years, but I NEVER expect us to beat them, ever. Remember, they hold the all time record at something like 34-12. I wish I was exaggerating. I will never pick us to beat either of those teams until the tide turns...and it's close, but hasn't happened just yet. I realize we're a different team than during game 1, but they are beyond confident and they should be. They killed us week 1. 

Man I'd love to spoil their season! 

Just now, The Gipper said:

Has Ward ever been "in"? 

He had a chance up until yesterday and was ruled out. Damn calf injuries. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Weather game time forecast- near freezing temperatures with a gentle 15-20mph NW breeze coming off the Lake.  :)  

Oh that should be fun for a relatively inaccurate Ravens QB. Just keep him contained and make him throw.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I don't think we have the personnel to win consistently, and basically nobody runs on the Ravens, so

Not the case in 2020.

2020 NFL run D stats

Ravens have given up more total yds than Browns, a higher YPC, and substantially more big rushing plays.  Only stat the Ravens have over Cleveland: we've given up 3 more TD's.

My .02 says we make that stat even tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Ravens have given up more total yds than Browns, a higher YPC, and substantially more big rushing plays.  Only stat the Ravens have over Cleveland: we've given up 3 more TD's.

That's interesting because I went back and looked at the Ravens' opponent rush numbers and basically nobody did well the past 4-5 games. I think Henry was only one to break 100, and didn't do much until overtime (I think). 

I might not be rational right now. I admit it. My brain simply will NOT accept anything but the Ravens giving us the business. Even though we beat them each of the last two years, that game 1 whipping is so fresh in my mind. Honestly, if we had OBJ and Hooper I'd probably pick us, but I am just not sure how our receivers are going to break free from that sticky man coverage, and I really don't think we're going to be able to run it. 

Let’s see if the Refs let their secondary get hand full of jerseys.  I think we also need to loosen up their back 7 going deep a couple times in first quarter.  You got guys like Marcus Peters who has made a living on jumping the short stuff.

We completely abandoned who we were game 1.  Coupled with Lamar playing almost flawlessly- I believe this is an entirely different game 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

This isn't the Ravens of old, they are a front that gives up chunk running plays when teams don't abandon that half of their game.

I think this is going to be the key of this game. If we keep running, 3rd and 4th quarters can become real long for the Ravens' defense. 

I also think that tonight's game, watching how tough is going to be to get a playoff spot in the AFC, is a huge game for Lamar, so he might keep having his big game jitters.

Agreed they have "a reputation" - but wasn't that reputation really just the prime years of Haloti Ngata?

Look at the front7 starters -- Derek Wolfe [decent], B.Williams [average], Campbell [good]; McPhee [good], Harrison [average], Queen [terrible], Judon [decent].

Teller's activated -- if anything, Ravens need to worry about Browns rather than the other way around.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

I think this is going to be the key of this game. If we keep running, 3rd and 4th quarters can become real long for the Ravens' defense. 

I also think that tonight's game, watching how tough is going to be to get a playoff spot in the AFC, is a huge game for Lamar, so he might keep having his big game jitters.

Jitter or no jitters I think we need to force him into things he doesn’t do well.  Take him off the quick between the hash read and force him to throw outside of the hashes in a 15-20mph wind too.  This is magnified when has to play from behind and push the ball downfield.  

And of course take away that 3rd and long sneak option by maintaining rush lanes and the spy needs to execute (break down tackle or make him bounce runs and hope the rally delivers).  

Lastly we need to squeeze those INT opportunities.  Back 7 is gonna have some opportunities. 

4 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Agreed they have "a reputation" - but wasn't that reputation really just the prime years of Haloti Ngata?

Look at the front7 starters -- Derek Wolfe [decent], B.Williams [average], Campbell [good]; McPhee [good], Harrison [average], Queen [terrible], Judon [decent].

Teller's activated -- if anything, Ravens need to worry about Browns rather than the other way around.

They have a great scheme and they plug in guys that fit the scheme as well or better than any unit in the NFL.  

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Jitter or no jitters I think we need to force him into things he doesn’t do well.  Take him off the quick between the hash read and force him to throw outside of the hashes in a 15-20mph wind too.

And of course take away that 3rd and long sneak option by maintaining rush lanes and the spy needs to execute (break down tackle or make him bounce runs and hope the rally delivers).  

Lastly we need to squeeze those INT opportunities.  Back 7 is gonna have some opportunities. 

I also think that edge contain and gap discipline is a must in this game. He is not that great of a pocket passer. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

I also think that edge contain and gap discipline is a must in this game. He is not that great of a pocket passer. 

Absolutely and that’s maintaining rush lanes. This isn’t the game where Myles gets wide and tries the speed rush looping around the left tackle.   It’s weird but you form a pocket to contain a scrambler like him.  Maybe you have a safety or linebacker shoot a gap and create a big play but Jackson has been in the business of making that guy miss and making first downs. 

When Jackson’s first step is into the pocket and through a large hole in our interior- it’s a 10+ yard run for him. Just as we did with DHenry it’s get him moving right or left.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Absolutely and that’s maintaining rush lanes. This isn’t the game where Myles gets wide and tries the speed rush looping around the left tackle.   It’s weird but you form a pocket to contain a scrambler like him.  Maybe you have a safety or linebacker shoot a gap and create a big play but Jackson has been in the business of making that guy miss and making first downs. 

When Jackson’s first step is into the pocket and through a large hole in our interior- it’s a 10+ yard run for him. Just as we did with DHenry it’s get him moving right or left.  

It's going to be windy AF tonight. That really doesn't help us. 😢

9 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's going to be windy AF tonight. That really doesn't help us. 😢

Quite the opposite - yes it does.  Ravens will be more apt to continue running and Lamar's passes can get away from him, especially in the elements.     Might help to take additional pressure off of our secondary.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Quite the opposite - yes it does.  Ravens will be more apt to continue running and Lamar's passes can get away from him, especially in the elements.     Might help to take additional pressure off of our secondary.

LET'S GOOOOOOOO. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I agree 100%.  The problem last time we played the Ravens was Lamar hitting passes downfield.   When he does and you have to cover the entire rectangle.  Good luck... better score some points when you have the ball.

If you are the Ravens do you want that touch pass he throws floating into the strong Lake Erie breeze?  On the other side Baker can at least rip it. 

It’s Lamar with his legs, it’s Dobbins, Edwards and company softening up the middle of the D and your quick throw short pass variety.  We can play in a box instead of a rectangle.