THE BROWNS BOARD

starter at QB vs the Packers

Sez.EJ

Ok the news is Mangini will meet with DA and BQ tomorrow to announce the starter vs the Packers.. He says the guy who does not start against the Packers will start against the Lions the following week. BIG SHOCK.. Mangini is not going to tip his hand here in any way.. He wants to put these guys under as much pressure as possible and see who fades under the pressure or rises to the occasion... DID YOU GUYS EVER THINK IT WAS REALLY GOING TO BE ANY OTHER WAY! He's not going to name the starter until right before or right after the 3rd preseason game.. My preference would be BEFORE the preseason game. I think it's better for the team to know.

Ok I finally broke down and started a QB thread hahaha

Ok the news is Mangini will meet with DA and BQ tomorrow to announce the starter vs the Packers.. He says the guy who does not start against the Packers will start against the Lions the following week. BIG SHOCK.. Mangini is not going to tip his hand here in any way.. He wants to put these guys under as much pressure as possible and see who fades under the pressure or rises to the occasion... DID YOU GUYS EVER THINK IT WAS REALLY GOING TO BE ANY OTHER WAY! He's not going to name the starter until right before or right after the 3rd preseason game.. My preference would be BEFORE the preseason game. I think it's better for the team to know.

Where do you hear this? You got link or something to prove this? If no link, then I can't accept this as fact. I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Where do you hear this? You got link or something to prove this? If no link, then I can't accept this as fact. I'll take it with a grain of salt.

He talked about this plan at his presser today.

Sounds like he's gonna bring them in to his office tomorrow morning and flip a coin.

Then he'll announce the starter to the media before they get on the plane to GB.

As ive posted before i would be stunned if mangini started BQ in greenbay and DA in cleveland that would be bold...considering since detroit signed big mouth smith and whoever gets that game may have a slightly compromised setting to deal with that is if smith actually understands football...;)

Plus it appears DA has a slight edge and traditionally that means DA should start against greenbay and it gives BQ a big wakeup call of use it or lose it...

At this point, with all of the information, misinformation, mis-misinformation, and mis-mis-misinformation floating around, what would revealing the starter of preseason game one prove anyhow?

1:51:02 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini will speak to starting QB candidates Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson tomorrow about which one will open against the Packers. He has stated, however, that the other one will start the following week at home against Detroit

twitter

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5947

As ive posted before i would be stunned if mangini started BQ in greenbay and DA in cleveland that would be bold...considering since detroit signed big mouth smith and whoever gets that game may have a slightly compromised setting to deal with that is if smith actually understands football...;)

Plus it appears DA has a slight edge and traditionally that means DA should start against greenbay and it gives BQ a big wakeup call of use it or lose it...

Pray tell, how does DA have a "slight advantage?"

Pray tell, how does DA have a "slight advantage?"

Anderson has been throwing better of lately. He's improving his accuracy on the shorter throws and is getting better throwing on the run. Anderson can be dangerous, if dealt the right cards. I do like Quinn's intangibles, though.

DA has an advantage? Since when?

Quinn played better in the only scrimmage. Practice has been a wash, as every outlet reports over and over and over. The only comments from Mangini is that there is no separation between the two guys.

Scrimmage doesn't mean anything. The defense knew the hand signals for christ's sakes. How can you say that? Wait and judge in the preseason games.

Well whoever starts against detroit will be at a slight disadvantage because detroit will know who to gameplan for. Hope the oline bullies smith a little bit though

If you consider the above statement to be true... The QB who starts and plays well vs Detoit would then have a big advantage then right? Not sure I buy that myself...

Well whoever starts against detroit will be at a slight disadvantage because detroit will know who to gameplan for. Hope the oline bullies smith a little bit though

Teams don't do much gameplanning in preseason. Teams are working on their stuff and don't really care much about who is going to play QB.

Just a FYI

Teams don't do much gameplanning in preseason. Teams are working on their stuff and don't really care much about who is going to play QB.

Just a FYI

That's why I said slight advantage because they don't do much. But if it didn't matter at all you have to wonder why mangini is waiting until the last possible second

I wonder what the statistics are for whoever the qb is if they start the first preseason game are the starters during the regular season. Anyone in here know?

It would be extremely high, but that doesn't apply in our case. Most teams don't have an outright competition at QB. Whoever starts at GB does not have an advantage, because the other guy will start against the Lions. As many have stated, Pre-Game 3 will provide the answers.

Scrimmage doesn't mean anything. The defense knew the hand signals for christ's sakes. How can you say that? Wait and judge in the preseason games.

DA already came out in the media and said that was a joke, never happened.

Quinn looks like a quarterback, DA looks like a doofus.

DA already came out in the media and said that was a joke, never happened.

Quinn looks like a quarterback, DA looks like a doofus.

guess that depends where you are observing from....

where i sit, quinn looks like a child among boys, and DA looks like a doofus.

Guest Masters

Um, no the D didn't. That story has already been debunked. Including being debunked by DA himself.

As far as who starts for at GB and against the Lions, I think a little differently. We know Brady has home support and the environment in Cleveland will be in favor of him. The opposite is true about DA. The home crowd will be more hostile toward him than anywhere else. DA has had trouble dealing with pressure. Make him prove he can handle it at home! Make Brady play on the road without the major fan support. It's preseason, yes I know, but every guy on that team wants to win! Nobody wants to lose, even in preseason! Playing DA on the road is not going to give you a barometer of how he will handle pressure as well as him playing in Cleveland with Brady on the sideline.

Either way, both QB's are going to play in both games. What happens if BQ looks good against the one's in Green Bay but bad against the two's against Detroit? Same goes for DA. I think this whole derby is a sham to begin with. BQ was the QB Mangini was going with from day one. He's got miles of film on DA, he knows how he plays in games, he knows a lot more about him than any of us. He's got a few games with BQ, and anyone with a pair of eyes could see BQ looked like a franchise QB in those games, even if he didn't light it up. Even Bernie the magnificent had bad games, and was benched in his rookie year, but everyone knew he was a franchise QB.

Either way, both QB's are going to play in both games. What happens if BQ looks good against the one's in Green Bay but bad against the two's against Detroit? Same goes for DA. I think this whole derby is a sham to begin with. BQ was the QB Mangini was going with from day one. He's got miles of film on DA, he knows how he plays in games, he knows a lot more about him than any of us. He's got a few games with BQ, and anyone with a pair of eyes could see BQ looked like a franchise QB in those games, even if he didn't light it up. Even Bernie the magnificent had bad games, and was benched in his rookie year, but everyone knew he was a franchise QB.

100% agreed! I think Brady is the starter unless he completely implodes over the next 2 weeks!

guess that depends where you are observing from....

where i sit, quinn looks like a child among boys, and DA looks like a doofus.

well, boys ARE children. so quinn fits right in.

glad we agree on the doofus.

Archived