THE BROWNS BOARD

BAL vs CLE - The NFL Game of the Year

mjp28

It looks like everybody agrees last night's Baltimore at Cleveland MNF game was the NFL game of the year.

Yahoo Sports

Lamar Jackson plays the hero, lifts Ravens over Browns in NFL's best game this season

Frank Schwab
Frank Schwab
Mon, December 14, 2020, 11:46 PM EST·3 min rea
The Rush: Lamar Jackson prevails in MNF thriller as Ravens beat Brown

LeBron James was like all of us on Monday night.

It will take an epic to beat Baltimore Ravens-Cleveland Browns for game of the year. It was as thrilling as the NFL can get. Monday night had everything.

Lamar Jackson, who was in the locker room with cramps for most of the fourth quarter, emerged at the two-minute warning and threw a fourth-down touchdown pass to give the Ravens the lead. Baker Mayfield led a quick drive for a score and the tie. Then Jackson answered again, passing the Ravens into territory for Justin Tucker to make a 55-yard field goal with two seconds left to give the Ravens a 45-42 lead. A safety on a lateral play at the end gave Baltimore a 47-42 win.

If you didn’t like that game, the NFL isn’t for you.

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson (8) rushes for a 17-yard touchdown against the Browns. (AP Photo/David Richard)
Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson (8) rushes for a 17-yard touchdown against the Browns. (AP Photo/David Richard)

Epic fourth quarter in Cleveland

When Mayfield threw an interception to linebacker Tyus Bowser in the third quarter, that set up the Ravens at the 1-yard line. They scored their fifth rushing touchdown of the night and even though the extra point was blocked, Baltimore led 34-20. Given how well Jackson was playing, it seemed the game was over.

It was just getting started.

Then there was a report Jackson was back in the locker room. He was having a marvelous game at that point with 124 yards rushing on nine attempts. It was a callback to his MVP season a year ago. The team announced he had cramps. ESPN showed Jackson gingerly running back to the locker room, and Trace McSorley was playing quarterback for the Ravens. That came after a Browns touchdown on fourth down and a two-point conversion. The Ravens went three-and-out with McSorley, thanks in large part to Marquise Brown’s third dropped pass of the night, and the Browns got the ball back trailing, 34-28.

Mayfield led a nice drive after that and capped it with a 5-yard touchdown run on third-and-goal with 6:33 left. Because the Browns went for the two-point conversion after their previous score, the extra point gave them a 35-34 lead.

The game seemed to be on McSorley’s shoulders, and then he slipped and hurt his knee on a third-down run. The Ravens had to wonder who would be playing quarterback on a key fourth down. Then, suddenly, Jackson was back. And he had some magic.

The Ravens went for it on fourth-and-5, Jackson’s first play the entire fourth quarter. Jackson rolled to the right and found Brown across the middle wide open for a 44-yard touchdown and the 42-35 lead.

Then Mayfield answered.

5fd8449c63753c286a68e951_o_U_v2.jpg

Ravens vs. Browns highlights Week 14

Watch the Baltimore Ravens vs. Cleveland Browns highlights during Week 14 of the 2020 season. This game is streaming live on the Yahoo Sports mobile app, or on NFL.com

Ravens, Jackson come through

Both quarterbacks were great on Monday night. Mayfield answered a lot of critics with some clutch plays, including a game-tying drive after Jackson’s touchdown throw.

Mayfield hit Kareem Hunt on a 22-yard touchdown with 1:04 to go. The Browns kicked the extra point and it seemed the game would go to overtime. Jackson ran very well on Monday night but aside from the long touchdown to Brown, he hadn’t thrown it well.

Story continues

• Thanks 1

I think if the BROWNS had a good clutch kicker we might be talking about the 10-3 BROWNS and not the 9-4 team.  How can you fix that going forward ? Can you ?

Still it was a great game the nation got to see last night.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I think if the BROWNS had a good clutch kicker we might be talking about the 10-3 BROWNS and not the 9-4 team.  How can you fix that going forward ? Can you ?

Still it was a great game the nation got to see last night.

With the exception of yesterday, Parkey has far exceeded my expectations this year.  He's actually helped us win games.

Here's his numbers the last 2 years, which is way better than my memory of him going 7 of 12 in FG ATT from 40-49 yards the last time he was here:

YEAR TEAM G 1-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ FGM FG ATT PCT
2020 Cleveland Browns 12 0-0 4-4 4-6 9-10 0-0 17 20 85
2019 Tennessee Titans 3 0-0 0-0 0-0 2-2 1-1 3 3 100

Actually you are correct by the numbers maybe it was the MNF atmosphere and missing an EP and FG that might have swung the game.

2 minutes ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

IMHO, our defensive secondary, and missing the field goal and extra point, cost us this game. Baker and the offense were BALLIN'!!

Yeah when they rack up 89 points it wasn't a defensive game.   

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Ordinarily, when an offense scores 42 points that team should win the game.

Fixing the defense should be priority #1 going into the 2021 draft.

I support this move wholeheartedly...... Our D line is long in the tooth... Richardson and Vernon are near the twilight of their careers... Were gonna need some young fasts studs so we can utilize Garretts prime form... We need Lber's that can enforce the middle....getting Greedy and Ward back alone would be monumental... Delpit?... You still have uncertainty.. What is the extent of his damage?.... A very Defense heavy off season... Lets do this...

Great game with not only explosive offense but Lamar's drama sprinkled in for good flavor. Baker was admittedly good despite his untimely interception. The defense was never going to win this game for us, special teams cost us this victory to be honest. Next season Delpit should be available, Greedy Williams possibly and draft/sign better backups.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Ordinarily, when an offense scores 42 points that team should win the game.

Fixing the defense should be priority #1 going into the 2021 draft.

That is clearly evident.   

Note:   ONLY 12 teams in NFL history have scored more points in a game than the Browns did yesterday and lost.   Including Browns vs. Bengals in 2004 where they lost  58-48.    Plus there were 5 others that also scored 42 points and lost.

If that doesn't tell you this defense needs work, nothing does. 

I'm tired of loading the result of another "Game of the year" into our loss column. Same goes for all of those heartbreaks that they attach  kool little names to. If I were a fan of neither team I would have enjoyed the game, but I'm not that fan and a loss is a loss.... and this one stings even more because it was against v1.0

The Browns are a better football team right now than they have been for a long time, but as they sit, they are not good enough to win the division and after last night's frustrating loss, they are going to have to go 2-1 just to make the playoffs. 

They are trending in the right direction under Kevin, but that defense is going to take more than a single offseason to overhaul, and until it is, we won't be able to win the division. 

I'll set the over/under at 10 days before this game has a kool name attached to it too...... Poop Bowl? Shitz Creek? Pepto Bowl? 

I'll take the under. 

I really was disappointed with Joe woods’ game plan...several teams have given good examples on how to slow down the ravens offense and it looked like woods just decided not to try to employ anything from these examples...playing Jackson like an ordinary qb and aggressively rushing the passer and blitzing just doesn’t work especially when you don’t focus on containing the edge...the most successful teams have not forced the rush but contained the pocket with 4 while having a spy focus on lamar...I don’t remember a single play where the browns had a spy on Lamar or when the line made an effort at just containing the pocket...

• Like 1

Just now, The Gipper said:

I was looking for the game's stat sheet but could not find it online.  Has anyone seen it? 

Maybe Tour or Flugs gots it!

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I ask this question:

Are the Ratfuckers  really considered one of the best defenses in the league?   I am not so sure. 

They’re ranked #5 in team defense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/opp.htm

Many things contributed to losing. Relative to our defense the truth is overall our secondary and linebackers were over their heads. Not enough talent to compete. IMO the inexcusable reason was our kicker. For the most part it’s just him , the holder and the ball. The extra point and FG distances were gimmes for a pro. He blew it!

8 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Many things contributed to losing. Relative to our defense the truth is overall our secondary and linebackers were over their heads. Not enough talent to compete. IMO the inexcusable reason was our kicker. For the most part it’s just him , the holder and the ball. The extra point and FG distances were gimmes for a pro. He blew it!

He did, but, still, when you score 42 points, you should still win. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sambai23 said:

I really was disappointed with Joe woods’ game plan...several teams have given good examples on how to slow down the ravens offense and it looked like woods just decided not to try to employ anything from these examples...playing Jackson like an ordinary qb and aggressively rushing the passer and blitzing just doesn’t work especially when you don’t focus on containing the edge...the most successful teams have not forced the rush but contained the pocket with 4 while having a spy focus on lamar...I don’t remember a single play where the browns had a spy on Lamar or when the line made an effort at just containing the pocket...

The single best way to combat the Ravens is to jump out to a big lead on them.

It's how the Browns beat them early on last season, and it's how the Titans beat them in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, the Browns were trailing for big chunks of the game. 

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The single best way to combat the Ravens is to jump out to a big lead on them.

It's how the Browns beat them early on last season, and it's how the Titans beat them in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, the Browns were trailing for big chunks of the game. 

Well, when your defense is poorly manned, and apparently poorly schemed,  it is hard to jump out to that lead. 

If I recall correctly, once the Browns took a one point lead, the Ravens fumbled and recovered it. If that ball bounces differently, it’s a whole other story. 

Also, I thought the Baker pick-6 hit harder than the missed kicks. 

ir was an exciting game but I agree with others that the game plan was incorrect. 

• Like 1

I know Frenchie. Although we literally fumbled 5 times and recovered all of them somehow. But you're right...if that ball pops out a bit more.... 

😪😪