THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

tiamat63

I've seen most the Tyreek Hill comparisons to Gators WR Kadarius Toney👀.. He'd surely help our kick/punt returns. Also, think Toney will blow his combine numbers out of our reach & higher position needs..Juice at age 28, don't look to be losing any steps either... Toney would be a fun watch, with Juice tutoring him though... 

Every draft season, I look for that small school kid to root for.. Can't wait to see this Charleston, D2 kid at senior bowl/combine.... I was shocked to see Walt even found this guy & ranked him #34    Meet 6'5" 225 Mike Strachan 

AJ Brown'ish comes to my mind ?  Some say 4.5 speed..  But, I want to see more, if this big cat, can turn & get out of breaks..Not much tape out there on route tree, but can see a Gordon getting off the LOS... any thoughts of having 2 twin towers on the outside of Peeps & a 6'5 ?

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I've seen most the Tyreek Hill comparisons to Gators WR Kadarius Toney👀.. He'd surely help our kick/punt returns. Also, think Toney will blow his combine numbers out of our reach & higher position needs..Juice at age 28, don't look to be losing any steps either... Toney would be a fun watch, with Juice tutor him though... 

Every draft season, I look for that small school kid to root for.. Can't wait to see this Charleston, D2 kid at senior bowl/combine.... I was shocked to see Walt even found this guy & ranked him #34    Meet 6'5" 225 Mike Strachan 

AJ Brown'ish comes to my mind ?  Some say 4.5 speed..  But, I want to see more, if this big cat, can turn & get out of breaks..Not much tape out there on route tree, but can see a Gordon getting off the LOS... any thoughts of having 2 twin towers on the outside of Peeps & a 6'5 ?

I like the added bulk of your little guy, but wonder about his quicks at 5'11. Does he seem expensive to you if he's a 2nd-rounder?

Strachan seems to be more of unknown... at least at draftscout. If the 4.6 is close, then he'd better cut on a dime to separate.

Twin Towers?  I could see taking a chance on Olajuwon, but Sampson? Not so much... ;)

image.png.d634be6cf14029b9aa515558d56674a9.pngimage.png.5a927e6f415f067a78417c5e3be423f1.png

The Tide is rolling in..

Four Alabama football players announced Thursday that they will be passing on remaining years of eligibility to enter the 2021 NFL draft: quarterback Mac Jones, wide receiver Jaylen Waddle, defensive lineman Christian Barmore and cornerback Patrick Surtain II. All of them have recently been projected as first-round picks.

Four Alabama standouts, including Mac Jones, announce departure to NFL (msn.com)

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Jones?

He's going to have to be with a coach as good as Saban (or Stef) who can meticulously pick out defensive weaknesses that are tailor made for Jones to take advantage with the skills he has or can build upon. I've never trusted more recent Bama or OSU QBs to be very good in the NFL. Waddle was almost as good as Smith before the injury I think and you could see he was still decent enough to play well with one wheel some of the NC game. Kid plays with heart. That impressed me. Smith is going to be one of those really great NFL receivers. He deserved the Heisman. Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft. Tough to move him out and good at pushing into the pocket. He actually may be there when we pick as BPA.

EDIT: Draftek actually has Waddle going before Smith in their mock draft right now. Correction to that. They have him higher on their Big Board, but have Smith drafted first.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft.

Barmore's quickness surprised me. Even made me think of Aaron Donald a couple times...

... then I came to my senses. ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He's going to have to be with a coach as good as Saban (or Stef) who can meticulously pick out defensive weaknesses that are tailor made for Jones to take advantage with the skills he has or can build upon. I've never trusted more recent Bama or OSU QBs to be very good in the NFL. Waddle was almost as good as Smith before the injury I think and you could see he was still decent enough to play well with one wheel some of the NC game. Kid plays with heart. That impressed me. Smith is going to be one of those really great NFL receivers. He deserved the Heisman. Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft. Tough to move him out and good at pushing into the pocket. He actually may be there when we pick as BPA.

EDIT: Draftek actually has Waddle going before Smith in their mock draft right now. Correction to that. They have him higher on their Big Board, but have Smith drafted first.

McElroy  or McCarron quality. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Barmore's quickness surprised me. Even made me think of Aaron Donald a couple times...

... then I came to my senses. ;)

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/christian-barmore/

Donald is 6'1", 280. But since you mention it, Barmore's serious power and quickness was amazing. Barmore is 6'5", 315.

Just...amazing to watch him dominate.

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Say what?

No seriously, what were you trying to say?

Kareem Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Dee Milliner
Marlon Humprhey
Javier Arenas
Cyrus Jones (60)
Trevon Diggs (51)  

I included a couple picks just outside the top 50.  But those are the CB's selected from Bama in the top 50 range.   Outside of Humphrey, isn't a pro-bowler to be found.    Milliner a regarded bust.  Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Arenas all drafted well above how they've played.  NE shipped Jones after after 1 season and jury is still out on Diggs.

In short, Bama corners haven't been very good in the NFL.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Kareem Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Dee Milliner
Marlon Humprhey
Javier Arenas
Cyrus Jones (60)
Trevon Diggs (51)  

I included a couple picks just outside the top 50.  But those are the CB's selected from Bama in the top 50 range.   Outside of Humphrey, isn't a pro-bowler to be found.    Milliner a regarded bust.  Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Arenas all drafted well above how they've played.  NE shipped Jones after after 1 season and jury is still out on Diggs.

In short, Bama corners haven't been very good in the NFL.

You mentioned Barmore.     How have their  DTs fared? 

I'm looking at midround DB's.  Someone who I feel can step in at the #3 CB, but also gives me some scheme flexibility too.  Been watching this kid a good deal this morning and I really love what I see so far.  

Kary Vincent, DB, LSU.  (#5)   Or as I like to call him - New Badger

@ 24 seconds.  Carries Ceedee Lamb in quarters and stays in his pocket.  Not easy, just ask the NFL.

@ 42 seconds.  Really impressive here.  Ends up dropping into a deep 1/3 on a zone replacement, gets his eyes back to the action, covers ground being just inside  that hash and doesn't just deny the home run shot -   He turns it into a possession going the other way.    This kid can MOVE.

@ 1:28   Again draws Ceedee in quarters.  OU really went at Kary and paid the price for it, I just don't think Sooners coaches appreciated his abilities.  Either that or they wanted to take advantage of his size. (5'10 190).    As a "smaller" DB (Fuck you Tour, I'm every bit of 5'11)..  I LOVE seeing these guys play "bigger" than they are.     Looks like a little post-corner shot here and Kary is all over this one.

@ 2:12  Playing the deep 1/3, flows with the rollout and gets downhill to limit the damage on YAC.   Shows great willingness to stick his nose in on the run.  Actually secures tackles, flys downhill, breakdowns and wraps up VERY well.   

@ 2:41 cover 1 with a 5th boundary pressure.  Man coverage, does a great job recognizing the route, getting over the rub and again immediately limiting any gain.  I can't say again how impressive this is in the modern CFB game.  Any time I see DB's WANTING to tackle in open space?  yeah, you have my respect.

I'm on board with what I've seen so far and despite him opting out of the 2020 season, this is a DB I'm prioritizing for my mid-round(s) film list.  I'm going to pour over everything I can find of his before I move onto another player.  But a skill set like this would go a long way to helping the Browns defense.

Obviously defensive guys galore.

But an offensive guy I would seriously consider in mid to late rounds is Anthony Schwartz WR from Auburn. Will certainly take top off defense. 

4.27 40

6'1 180

I'm still trying to figure out the first round.

I'm down to figuring, so far..... that the list of three players the Browns would draft, given their

late position... can't see any top three or four cb's that are first round cb's falling to the Browns....

Zaven Collins - has been a favorite choice.

Christian Barmore - he's that great on the DL

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

one of these three are it, I think. Owusu is a tween lb/SS with 4.4 speed. Smart, intuitive and violent.

Zaven Collins is very fast, big, diagnoses plays, very smart....

and Barmore is a big man that moves like a powerful smaller defensive end.

and don't be surprised if Owusu and Collins are both already gone.

The Browns may have to trade up a bit to have a chance at all three.