THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 16: CLE @ NYJ.... a/k/a Meadowlands 2.0

Tour2ma

15 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

News - Quinnen Williams of the Jets will not play vs the Browns.

I sure hope Wills does.

As long as he keeps testing negative, we are relatively healthy for a Week 16 contest. Other than the guys on IR, only Teller is out this week, and LB Smith questionable.

It'll be nice to have Ward and Harrison back to ruin Sam Darnold's one week of joy.

Zombo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(previously posted this in wrong thread) 

Teller injury is so devastating because we aren't the same running team without him. That being said, Nick Harris will have a week of practice at RG and SHOULD look a bit better, especially without having to deal with Quinnen Williams. Harris certainly wasn't BAD, but it was obvious we struggled running the rock. 

We don't have a defense, we all know it. That means we can't turn it over, we have to get 7 in the red zone, and we can't miss kicks. I'm telling you right now, the Jets WILL move the ball on us. We have a problem forcing punts. We also don't force turnovers anymore. Our defense does not get off the field. We have the absolute WORST 4th down defense in the league, and the Jets have nothing to lose so you can bet your ass they're going for it on 4th down. Our defense has given up 20-25 4th down conversions. Yo. 

The GOOD news is that we stopped the Giants twice last game on 4th down, which was huge, and we stopped Titans on a gigantic 4th, so perhaps we're trending in the right direction...but I wouldn't count on it. We can't cover the middle of the field, we're not great against the run, and all those turnovers we got early in the season that saved our asses have vanished quicker than my hairline. 

If we don't turn it over, we will win. It's really that simple. I expect a very close game, at least early, and I don't expect the Jets to roll over at all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

News - Quinnen Williams of the Jets will not play vs the Browns.

I sure hope Wills does.

If Wills is going to play, I would THINK we'd know today, correct? I can't imagine they'd tell Wills on hame day, but I could be mistaken. 

I think this game is going to tell us a lot about who we are as a team. The Jets should probably have around 3 wins right now, so it's not like we're playing a powerhouse, but they're also not totally incompetent either. Making it worse, they looked pretty damn good last week, AND looked good against the Raiders. Two potential playoff teams (at the time). It wasn't some flukey type victory last week. They BEAT the Rams. 

The "flukey" type game is what really concerns me. Tretter bouncing another snap, the deflected INT right at their LB, the random punt protection that breaks down...something like that. I think we'll be focused and prepared, and we have our coach to thank for that. I am SO GLAD we have Stefanski and not anyone else. Can you imagine what we'd look like with McCarthy? How Baker would look? Would we even HAVE Baker on our team in the future? 

I think our team has taken on the personality of our coach and that's a good thing. I feel like we finally have a guy who has what it takes to make Cleveland good for a while. 

35 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

(previously posted this in wrong thread) 

Teller injury is so devastating because we aren't the same running team without him. That being said, Nick Harris will have a week of practice at RG and SHOULD look a bit better, especially without having to deal with Quinnen Williams. Harris certainly wasn't BAD, but it was obvious we struggled running the rock. 

We don't have a defense, we all know it. That means we can't turn it over, we have to get 7 in the red zone, and we can't miss kicks. I'm telling you right now, the Jets WILL move the ball on us. We have a problem forcing punts. We also don't force turnovers anymore. Our defense does not get off the field. We have the absolute WORST 4th down defense in the league, and the Jets have nothing to lose so you can bet your ass they're going for it on 4th down. Our defense has given up 20-25 4th down conversions. Yo. 

The GOOD news is that we stopped the Giants twice last game on 4th down, which was huge, and we stopped Titans on a gigantic 4th, so perhaps we're trending in the right direction...but I wouldn't count on it. We can't cover the middle of the field, we're not great against the run, and all those turnovers we got early in the season that saved our asses have vanished quicker than my hairline. 

If we don't turn it over, we will win. It's really that simple. I expect a very close game, at least early, and I don't expect the Jets to roll over at all.

Well said; but I'll add some piggybacks here and there.

Nick Harris played well especially considering he didn't get any 1st team reps in the week of practice leading up to the game.  IMO, the play-calling remained cognizant of this - but I saw him getting off the ball with great leverage and not looking overwhelmed at all.  I think you'll see a much better balance/blend in the sides of Center we rush the ball to this week.  I think kept calling him Cook last week.  I'm gettin old; and this gettin old stuff is gettin even older...

Myles Garrett BEFORE COVID was unstoppable; and the consistent heat he put on QBs produced the strip sack turnovers for the Baker to cook. Garrett looked like he was playing on fumes the last 2 times we watched him play.  As he gets healthier, I think our defense will get better again.  The guy I REALLY miss is Ronnie Harrison. His pick 6 vrs Indy is why we temporarily own a tie-breaker vrs Indy at the moment. Those turnovers that subtract a possession in close games are HUGE; and Garrett's pressure can lead to them. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2020 at 11:02 AM, Dutch Oven said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dvz_-5egsU

Here's a great primer for the upcoming Browns vs Jets game. 

Where were you during this game? 

I was like row 10 of the Dawg Pound and stayed til the end.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Myles Garrett BEFORE COVID was unstoppable; and the consistent heat he put on QBs produced the strip sack turnovers for the Baker to cook. Garrett looked like he was playing on fumes the last 2 times we watched him play.  As he gets healthier, I think our defense will get better again.  The guy I REALLY miss is Ronnie Harrison. 

I don't think Myles will be totally healthy until next year. My hope is that he will continue to get a little better each week, but he was certainly struggling against the Giants. I feel so bad for him...it's got to be infuriating. 

And I agree with you about Nick Harris. He's definitely undersized for a Guard but the good news is that he's actually quite quick on his feet. I'm interested in seeing our running game and how he'll perform. I don't expect miracles or anything, but it's cool to see a kid get his chance. It's also fair to say that the Jets are going to sell out against the run and force us to pass it like other teams have done this year.

This would be welcomed news because the Jets don't have a great pass defense and if they bring their safeties up, we'll punish them severely. The fascinating aspect of our offense last week was how we took what the defense gave us and we never pressed the issue. We never went "deep" and our longest play was probably 25 yards. I don't expect this trend to continue, and if the weather permits you're going to see some vertical bombs off play-action. We missed one or two big plays last week, and I'd be shocked if we didn't try to get the deep game going. Gonna be a tough game, but perhaps a fun one. Darnold vs Mayfield...badass, right? 

Browns - 31

Jets - 20

37 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

I was like row 10 of the Dawg Pound and stayed til the end.

Same here. Paid my $$$, I'm staying till the end.  What I'll always remember is seeing fans running back into the stadium after Bernie connected with that bomb to Slaughter. :)

14 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I don't think Myles will be totally healthy until next year. My hope is that he will continue to get a little better each week, but he was certainly struggling against the Giants. I feel so bad for him...it's got to be infuriating. 

And I agree with you about Nick Harris. He's definitely undersized for a Guard but the good news is that he's actually quite quick on his feet. I'm interested in seeing our running game and how he'll perform. I don't expect miracles or anything, but it's cool to see a kid get his chance. It's also fair to say that the Jets are going to sell out against the run and force us to pass it like other teams have done this year.

This would be welcomed news because the Jets don't have a great pass defense and if they bring their safeties up, we'll punish them severely. The fascinating aspect of our offense last week was how we took what the defense gave us and we never pressed the issue. We never went "deep" and our longest play was probably 25 yards. I don't expect this trend to continue, and if the weather permits you're going to see some vertical bombs off play-action. We missed one or two big plays last week, and I'd be shocked if we didn't try to get the deep game going. Gonna be a tough game, but perhaps a fun one. Darnold vs Mayfield...badass, right? 

Browns - 31

Jets - 20

I don't understand why he does not go to the bench and suck on an oxygen mask between series?

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

and.... we'll see if the NFL delays the game if need be

Given Sunday's currently scheduled 1 p.m. kickoff time, the NFL may move the game to a later date on Sunday in order to give the Browns more flexibility as it relates to traveling. Several teams this season have traveled on the day of their game due to complications caused by COVID-19. The most recent team to do this was the Steelers, who traveled to Buffalo hours before falling to the Bills on "Sunday Night Football." 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-shut-down-facility-delay-flight-as-jarvis-landry-others-deemed-covid-19-contacts-per-reports/

Just now, SdBacker80 said:

I agree how did NE and Balt get their games moved?  

owners are good friends of goodhell?

actually, the NFL position is, if the covid only affects one position on the team. Or some maybe

dishonest rationalization.

We'll see.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/12/2/22089379/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-ravens-steelers-broncos-saints-postponement-wednesday-quarterbacks

4 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

owners are good friends of goodhell?

actually, the NFL position is, if the covid only affects one position on the team. Or some maybe

dishonest rationalization.

We'll see.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/12/2/22089379/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-ravens-steelers-broncos-saints-postponement-wednesday-quarterbacks

The Denver thing was more of a punishment for their break in protocol 

30 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Of course in arguably the biggest game of the last 25 years this shit happens. Good lord.

Damn Murphy's Law had to come in didn't it? 

Obviously a big blow. Down somewhere around 5 or 6 starters now.

17 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Damn Murphy's Law had to come in didn't it? 

Obviously a big blow. Down somewhere around 5 or 6 starters now.

Wow! Is this the other shoe 👠 dropping ?   

GO BROWNS, don't know what to say next.....baby !      :mellow:

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Wow! Is this the other shoe 👠 dropping ?   

GO BROWNS, don't know what to say next.....baby !      :mellow:

Lol yeah. 

Hey, I always tell my buddies they should move Njoku to WR. We might actually see this tomorrow!!

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Jarvis...Higgins....DPJ all to be placed on covid list...wow!!!

Do they postpone the game at this point? 

your WRs for tomorrow 

Derrick Willies, Jmarcus Bradley, Hall, Njoku, Hunt

Wait, now...you are saying it is 4 WRs?   Landry, Higgins, Hodge and Peeps all on covid list? 

Isn't that ALL of our WRs?  Except for guys brought up from the PS?   Willies, Bradley... and Hall, whom I didn't even know was on the team?

That means a lot of throws to  Hooper,  Harrison, Njoku,  and to our RBs...  Chubb/Hunt/D'Ernest Johnson?  

Is the league going to let this happen? 

Just now, The Gipper said:

Wait, now...you are saying it is 4 WRs?   Landry, Higgins, Hodge and Peeps all on covid list? 

Isn't that ALL of our WRs?  Except for guys brought up from the PS?   Willies, Bradley... and Hall, whom I didn't even know was on the team?

That means a lot of throws to  Hooper,  Harrison, Njoku,  and to our RBs...  Chubb/Hunt/D'Ernest Johnson?  

Is the league going to let this happen? 

Maybe.  I heard that if we get a guy that tests positive tomorrow and tracing cannot not be confirmed the game could be postponed.