THE BROWNS BOARD

Meyer to JAX?

MLD Woody

10 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Texas doesn't have an opening, Steve Sarkisian took the job about an hour after it opened up.

He is just staying with Alabama through the title game

That is true, but you have to think that someone from Austin reached out to Urban and asked him if he was interested before settling on a guy on his third head coaching gig, and who had his last one at USC blow up because he was a drunk. 

3 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I wouldn't touch Arizona with a 10 foot pole if I were him. Certainly not compared to an NFL team, but even if just college. Harder to get biggest recruits, and Pac 12 just is at a disadvantage when it comes to playoff.

Take Clemson out because they are just a top notch program recently. There are 4 programs in the country that would get in CFP if everything is equal (I.e. same record etc.): Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas. Not saying that everything can always match up equally, but those are probably THE top 4 programs looked at in that way

But none of those jobs are open, are they?   You already advised about Texas....and he would obviously not come back to OSU......and Saban ain't going nowhere, is he?  And Kelly, no. 

So, if he really, really wants to coach again, and if he thinks he is up to it healthwise, he will have to look elsewhere.  And I thought of AZ because of the vacancy...and the weather.  Not because of the program.  And would he not be just a big enough egotist to think he could turn things around there?

But if not there, where? 

It seems most vacancies at this point have been filled:

Team 2020 Coach (Record) 2021 Coach
Arizona Kevin Sumlin (0-5), I Paul Rhoads (0-0) Jedd Fisch
Arkansas State Blake Anderson (4-7) Butch Jones
Auburn Guz Malzahn (6-4), I Kevin Steele (0-1) Bryan Harsin
Boise State Bryan Harsin (5-2) ?
Illinois Lovie Smith (2-5), I Rod Smith (0-1) Bret Bielema
Louisiana-Monroe Matt Viator (0-10), I Scott Stoker (0-0) Terry Bowden
South Alabama Steve Campbell (4-7) Kane Wommack
South Carolina Will Muschamp (2-5), I Mike Bobo (0-3) Shane Beamer
Southern Miss Jay Hopson (0-1), I Scotty Walden (1-3), I Tim Billings (2-3) Will Hall
Texas Tom Herman (7-3) Steve Sarkisian
Utah State Gary Andersen (0-3), I Frank Maile (1-2) Blake Anderson
Vanderbilt Derek Mason (0-8), ITodd Fitch (0-1) Clark Lea

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That is true, but you have to think that someone from Austin reached out to Urban and asked him if he was interested before settling on a guy on his third head coaching gig, and who had his last one at USC blow up because he was a drunk. 

They did. There was a full on interview and an offer.  The problem was urban couldn't get all of his core 4 (pantoni, mariotti, stamper) to leave ohio state and go to Texas.  Those have been his guys since before Florida with the exception of stamper. He joined the staff while urban was at Florida.

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

urban and hermon have had so many words I would think he would have loved to take over texas just to ram it down his throat

7 minutes ago, ATOM said:

urban and hermon have had so many words I would think he would have loved to take over texas just to ram it down his throat

A huge reason he took the interview was because of their beef and that's a big reason as to why Titty Bar Tom isn't at Texas anymore.  He found out they were interviewing him mid season when they legit still had a chance at big 12 championship. Old titty bar tom became irate. That's when you started hearing the rumors Herman wanted out of Texas.  Texas and Herman could not reconcile their differences

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But none of those jobs are open, are they?   You already advised about Texas....and he would obviously not come back to OSU......and Saban ain't going nowhere, is he?  And Kelly, no. 

So, if he really, really wants to coach again, and if he thinks he is up to it healthwise, he will have to look elsewhere.  And I thought of AZ because of the vacancy...and the weather.  Not because of the program.  And would he not be just a big enough egotist to think he could turn things around there?

But if not there, where? 

Your argument was that he is better suited for college, which could certainly be true. But guys like Urban (not meaning that negative at all) aren't just going to go anywhere. I'll explain it like this: Saban, Sweeney, Day, Kelly, Fisher, etc. Aren't going to go somewhere they don't have a chance to immediately compete for a championship in college. It's different in the NFL because of how those jobs are looked at. And it is not like Urban is out of a job. He is handsomely rewarded for his currently.

And before you point out that all these guys already have jobs, something anyone can see, Fisher left FSU 3 years removed from a CFP appearance and 4 from a championship.

And again, there is the HUGE part of getting the most sought after recruits, and that is much harder to do at a school like Arizona. Yes Urban was a great recruiter, but part of his (and the other top guys) getting the guys is the university, tradition, and exposure they get at them. This is a big reason why Herman is gone at Texas even with a pretty good record. He annually got Top 10 classes and then underperformed.

9 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

A huge reason he took the interview was because of their beef and that's a big reason as to why Titty Bar Tom isn't at Texas anymore.  He found out they were interviewing him mid season when they legit still had a chance at big 12 championship. Old titty bar tom became irate. That's when you started hearing the rumors Herman wanted out of Texas.  Texas and Herman could not reconcile their differences

no matters fuck texas 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Your argument was that he is better suited for college, which could certainly be true. But guys like Urban (not meaning that negative at all) aren't just going to go anywhere. I'll explain it like this: Saban, Sweeney, Day, Kelly, Fisher, etc. Aren't going to go somewhere they don't have a chance to immediately compete for a championship in college. It's different in the NFL because of how those jobs are looked at. And it is not like Urban is out of a job. He is handsomely rewarded for his currently.

And before you point out that all these guys already have jobs, something anyone can see, Fisher left FSU 3 years removed from a CFP appearance and 4 from a championship.

And again, there is the HUGE part of getting the most sought after recruits, and that is much harder to do at a school like Arizona. Yes Urban was a great recruiter, but part of his (and the other top guys) getting the guys is the university, tradition, and exposure they get at them. This is a big reason why Herman is gone at Texas even with a pretty good record. He annually got Top 10 classes and then underperformed.

Well,  then,  what programs may he go to?   Or I guess you are saying that none of the ones that may open up  are prestigious enough to attract him......leaving the NFL as basically his only  option.....and challenge? 

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well,  then,  what programs may he go to?   Or I guess you are saying that none of the ones that may open up  are prestigious enough to attract him......leaving the NFL as basically his only  option.....and challenge? 

Notre Dame if Brian Kelly leaves would get him to come back to college.  Also it's not crazy to think if Ryan Day were to go to the NFL that Meyer would go back to OSU. Drake is no longer there and notre dame and osu were his dream jobs. 

39 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Notre Dame if Brian Kelly leaves would get him to come back to college.  Also it's not crazy to think if Ryan Day were to go to the NFL that Meyer would go back to OSU. Drake is no longer there and notre dame and osu were his dream jobs. 

Why would you think Kelly would leave ND....or that Day would leave Ohio St.?

23 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

The only remaining question is does Meyer really draft Fields over Lawrence. He would be crazy to do so imo

Well....there are a hell of a lot more questions than that.  

First....Meyer going to the Pros, as I said, is not IMO a fit.   Further the Jags may want a proven NFL type,  be it former HC or  hot OC/DC.

Also....even if Meyer got the HC job, what makes you think he would have the authority over personnel?   

There current interim GM is a guy named Balke......

....they have interviewed Jerry Reese, former GM of the Giants...when they were good

...they are looking at Louis Riddick;   Rick Smith, former  Houston GM.

I don't think Meyer would have final say over who to draft.  If he were HC he would have input.....but I suggest every single one of those other guys would take Trevor. 

9 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Story of the Day: Harbaugh resigning with Michigan through 2026

Could today get any better? I submit to you that it cannot!

Well.....it is good for him, for perhaps, despite my previous attestations,  I do not believe that he would carry any gravitas if he were to search for an NFL job....or perhaps even another  P5 job.   

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well.....it is good for him, for perhaps, despite my previous attestations,  I do not believe that he would carry any gravitas if he were to search for an NFL job....or perhaps even another  P5 job.   

You'd be very incorrect, but I know I'm not going to get through the "rah rah Ohio!" bias wall that you have. 

If you think no one in the NFL would be interested in a coach with the 5th best NFL winning percentage of all time, that led his team to 3 straight NFC title games, you'd be incorrect. 

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You'd be very incorrect, but I know I'm not going to get through the "rah rah Ohio!" bias wall that you have. 

If you think no one in the NFL would be interested in a coach with the 5th best NFL winning percentage of all time, that led his team to 3 straight NFC title games, you'd be incorrect. 

You would think so, wouldn't you.   But no.   A sparkler burns bright, but then burns out,  yet some  people still remember the thrill of the sparkle thereafter. You are living on remembrance.  

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You answered your own question. Why would someone take a lesser job?

Whatever reason (all above board or not) you want to attribute to UM leaving schools, he has absolutely improved his situation every time. He didn't leave anywhere because he was struggling. 

So since you like your history, go ahead and name a coach who "traded down" jobs when they weren't let go at the previous?

If you want a comparison with UM currently, use Gruden. He had a very nice high paying job in the booth. 10 years between coaching jobs. Do you really think that Raiders was the only opportunity he had in those 10 years?

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You would think so, wouldn't you.   But no.   A sparkler burns bright, but then burns out,  yet some  people still remember the thrill of the sparkle thereafter. You are living on remembrance.  

This is just obvious OSU bias Gipper, or at the very least just disliking Harbaugh. He is routinely talked about for NFL jobs. 

While I don't think he is the best candidate for any of these jobs, there is no denying the success he had in the NFL. There also is no denying that he seems to wear out his welcome quickly.

Take out this year, as should be done with any Big 10 and Pac 12 with the number of games played. Two losing records (both at Stanford) in 12 years in college. 0 losing records in NFL. Total record of 151-68-1. 72% win percentage.

I swear it is personal feelings/judgments based on rivalries that gets you on these tangents that are based in anything but facts and then you go full defend position no matter what.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

You answered your own question. Why would someone take a lesser job?

Whatever reason (all above board or not) you want to attribute to UM leaving schools, he has absolutely improved his situation every time. He didn't leave anywhere because he was struggling. 

So since you like your history, go ahead and name a coach who "traded down" jobs when they weren't let go at the previous?

Well....who was the one that said that because of the Zach Smith thing and the suspension involved there that he was likely to have been  disinvited to have come back?  And, of course, the primary reason for his "retirement"  was his tumor.   But, to answer your question:   I think you (or at least I)  can say that  Jimbo Fisher traded down when he went from  FSU to Texas A&M.   Now, maybe TAMU has all the resources...or more than FSU.....but the TAMU  in no way matched the prestige...i.e.  record of success that  FSU had over the years...including under Fisher. 

If you want a comparison with UM currently, use Gruden. He had a very nice high paying job in the booth. 10 years between coaching jobs. Do you really think that Raiders was the only opportunity he had in those 10 years?

This is just obvious OSU bias Gipper, or at the very least just disliking Harbaugh. He is routinely talked about for NFL jobs. 

Is it?  I know their is media talk....but is there valid  NFL GM/front office  talk....now?   Maybe 3-4 years ago.  But lately?  Maybe they see a spark burning out in that regard.  I just don't know if he is being given any run.   I would like to see some evidence there...

While I don't think he is the best candidate for any of these jobs, there is no denying the success he had in the NFL. There also is no denying that he seems to wear out his welcome quickly.

Operative term:  HAD.   Question is can that apply to the belief in him in the future.  Though, if you say he has signed to 2026 then I believe fully that due to that no NFL team will give him a thought. And that is apparently where he wants to be. 

Take out this year, as should be done with any Big 10 and Pac 12 with the number of games played. Two losing records (both at Stanford) in 12 years in college. 0 losing records in NFL. Total record of 151-68-1. 72% win percentage.

I swear it is personal feelings/judgments based on rivalries that gets you on these tangents that are based in anything but facts and then you go full defend position no matter what.

No, not at all.   I am perfectly willing to change my assessment if evidence can be provided that some NFL teams or team may still be highly interested in  Harbaugh for one of their jobs.  Like I said...2-3 years ago I would definitely say there was. Now, not so sure. 

I would even say that at this point it seems that Harbaugh would still be a more likely candidate for an NFL job than Meyer.....because of his previous successful NFL experience, where Urban has none. (plus I still think NFL teams could have concerns about his health) 

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's the job I would take if I were him. 

By all accounts the tu job is one of the worst due to heavy meddling by Alums.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Story of the Day: Harbaugh resigning with Michigan through 2026

Could today get any better? I submit to you that it cannot!

Probably making him stay he beats tOSU.... :D

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Of course not, but it likely was not until the Raiders that he was made an offer he could not refuse.... 10 years... essentially total control including selection of the "GM". I love Mayock, but he's a head scout with a title... and a fair amount of influence with his HC.

Gruden is smart enough to know his limitations. And Mayock is strong enough in self-belief to pound the table when he thinks Chuckie is off-base. I see it as one of those relationships where they can go at it hammer and tong all afternoon... and then go out for a drink.