THE BROWNS BOARD

***DIVISIONAL ROUND: Browns AT Chiefs Gameday Thread***

Nero

On 1/17/2021 at 10:13 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

Some props to Njoku too who seemed to play the part of TE 1 today.

Belated +1 for you...

David earned his 5th year on Sunday. Finally starting to live up to the potential we saw early in him. It just took the right Staff.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Has the organization received the apology letter from the league yet for the non-call of the helmet to helmet down near the goal line?

To be honest, F them.

If the Browns want to be a contending team, they should forget about this kind of stuff. On Sunday I complained a lot about the call, I still think it's bullshit and it changes the game, but the loss is on them, whether we like it or not. 

NFL isn't going to suddenly have perfect and professional refs so they, as any other team, have to cope with that kind of situations. 

7 hours ago, Nero said:

If the Browns want to be a contending team, they should forget about this kind of stuff.

umm, no.  The refs have to be held accountable for their work during games.  If we don't receive an acknowledgement of the error then the league office would need to be notified by the team, in no uncertain terms, that officiating errors of that magnitude are not swept under the rug.

I'm certainly not saying that we should have T-shirts made up regarding it.  We should have won the game regardless of that.  We all know that.  But hey!  The refs throw flags on us, so we should throw one on them.  

BTW, I know that the refs games are reviewed by the PooBah of refs.  So I'm pretty sure the PooBah has dinged the refs for missing that call. 

46 minutes ago, Orion said:

umm, no.  The refs have to be held accountable for their work during games.  If we don't receive an acknowledgement of the error then the league office would need to be notified by the team, in no uncertain terms, that officiating errors of that magnitude are not swept under the rug.

I'm certainly not saying that we should have T-shirts made up regarding it.  We should have won the game regardless of that.  We all know that.  But hey!  The refs throw flags on us, so we should throw one on them.  

BTW, I know that the refs games are reviewed by the PooBah of refs.  So I'm pretty sure the PooBah has dinged the refs for missing that call. 

Yeah, the refs should be accountable and they should fill a complaint, yes. 

But we shouldn't think of it as the game we lost for a helmet-to-helmet hit. You have to work with what you can improve by yourself. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

We should have won the game regardless of that.  We all know that

I'm not saying it wasn't a bad no call because it was.  I'm not saying we definitely still lose if they call it.  However I don't think you can say we win if that call is made.  Yes the ending score was smaller than a 7 point deficit. However if they make the call maybe we don't get in the endzone on the drive. Odds are we do but it's not a guarantee.  Our short yardage situations improved but it has plagued us earlier in the year. However let's assume we do get in. Does any Reid still call an option on 3rd and short if the game is a 1 possession game or is he more aggressive (does mahomes still get hurt). That's just one specific example of where the playcalling could have been different but basically every single play call from the helmet to helmet hit very well could have been different as the score has changed. Lastly assuming everything stayed the same and we got in the endzone on the drive they had the ball driving and in scoring range at the end of the game so there still would have been a chance for them to tie it or win it in the final moments.  It was complete shit and the refs need to be held accountable but I can't blame the loss on it or say we would have won the game if they make that call as there were far too many variables after the play that affected the outcome. 

Go browns lets get back in 2021

10 hours ago, Orion said:

The refs have to be held accountable for their work during games.

They are.

Officials are graded on their performances every game. The best are rewarded with the "best" games and playoff assignments... and money for the latter.

Referees earn $205,000 per season or ~$12,800 per game. Other officials earn less. So that's likely where their pay starts for playoff games. Hard for me to imagine that they don't get double that for a Super Bowl.

Sub-part Officials get coaching. There has been at least one instance where a Ref was fired for a bad call in a game... Hugo Cruz did not call a blatant false start, of all things, in a game in 2019... but I've little doubt he was already "in a program".

One thing I learned in googling stuff for this post is that in the most recent CBA between the Officials and the NFL, the Officials' Union made the path to dismiss (not renew the contracts of) sub-par Officials easier.

Officials miss purely objective, minor calls every game... delays, offsides (especially of the lined up variety) and, one of my personal favorite, "yell-at-the-TV" ones, not enough/too many men on the LOS. And of course there are any number of subjective calls... PI, roughing, etc. ... we can poke holes in every game. And, yes, these now include targeting. In targeting's case booth review and booth calls will soon be coming to a game near us.

Through it all I try to remember one thing... how laughably bad the substitute officiating was back during the Officials' strike in 2012.

One side thought... I wonder how many here who cannot abide this missed call on Higgins also dismissed the call when Randall was ejected in 2019? Quite a few did IIRC...

• Thanks 1

Read one note earlier that the average hourly rate for NFL Officials in their full-time jobs was like $16.50...

That works out to just over $34,000 per year.

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Read one note earlier that the average hourly rate for NFL Officials in their full-time jobs was like $16.50...

That works out to just over $34,000 per year.

The fact that some are teachers, Attorneys, etc. and then Refs on the side is ludicrous to me.  The NFL is a massive business that makes massive dollars and they are a huge cog in the wheel.  Pay them...and put incentives in place for better performers to make higher pay. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1