THE BROWNS BOARD

***DIVISIONAL ROUND: Browns AT Chiefs Gameday Thread***

Nero

Game of inches.

Give me....

- S, Nickel, another LB and edge depth (I found Alex Highsmith in the 4th, don't tell me it can't be done)

- Oline depth

- Vertical threat or a heatlhy ODB

- Don't let the offense leave 7-16 points out on the field.  

...  and you can get an AFC title. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, browns52 said:

woods sucks.....steph made some bad time mgmt calls though....thats ok....he will be good.....i have to say how about that call by andy reid....wow....depressing but i never expected it...never.....but woods sucks.....we need some pass rushers and lb's but i don't want him coaching them.....half the time the d looked out of place and confused....no pressure....none at all.....could have won this one.....the play that keeps coming back to me, is the third and 14 and we let a fucking backup run for 13 and half to set up that call on 4th down......where the fuck were the lbs.....oh well....it was a great season never the less...

He plays too much Tampa 2... I HATE the Tampa 2 defense..... You have to have an extraordinary secondary to even run it half assed...

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Let's be honest,  if Higgins scores, nobody would be looking at the helmet hit. Higgins fumbled, that's why people are bitching about the hit.

Regardless of TD or fumble, the hit should've been called.  Of course, like me, the refs were watching the ball and possession and just did not see the helmets meeting.  

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Let's be honest,  if Higgins scores, nobody would be looking at the helmet hit. Higgins fumbled, that's why people are bitching about the hit.

Agreed. A TD and I wouldn't care about the helmet hit. But a helmet hit, then a fumble and then a touchback, and the story is completely different.

And the hit is obvious. 

I understand that in a challenge you cannot tell the refs to check everything out, but ON A BOOTH REVIEW, when there are 2 players in an action and one's foul makes the other guy fumble and consequently make a turnover/touchback... Well, something's wrong and that rule should be fixed. 

You can't show a replay to millions of viewers so they see that you missed a helmet to helmet hit that blatant as that one. 

• Upvote 1

Well adios for awhile I'm taking a little football beather and reflect on this Cleveland BROWNS season.

I'll watch some of the two geezers game and relax.

GO BROWNS 2021, set your goals high and go for it......baby !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Agree.

Job as WR: Catch ball...secure ball.  

Chubb shouldn't go unscathed either... He dropped 2 easy balls...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Neo said:

Yea, but the helmet hit was almost certainly the cause of the fumble.    I mean that is like saying...yea, the defender committed pass interference that was not called, but the receiver should have caught it anyway.  No.  One was the cause of the other. 

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Looks like lowering his head to make contact to me.  I mean, I assume they did a review on this... 

Why can't a review catch an obvious penalty like this? 

That is a play that has to be called on the field. Replay can't overturn it. I would like to think that it will be looked at over the off-season and some kind of change will come.

I don't know if couldn't watch it as normal or what, but the hit was what caused the fumble, which caused the touchback.

Now, since I try to always view things from an unbiased and coaching perspective, that one call did NOT cost Cleveland the game. It CHANGED the game without a doubt, but I have always been of the mindset that one play doesn't determine the outcome. Even if that happened the last play of the game, or even like the Saints game a few years ago. There are multiple plays I could point out that hurt 

1 minute ago, Gunz41 said:

That is a play that has to be called on the field. Replay can't overturn it. I would like to think that it will be looked at over the off-season and some kind of change will come.

I DO believe that these calls are reviewable in college.  

I don't know if couldn't watch it as normal or what, but the hit was what caused the fumble, which caused the touchback.

Now, since I try to always view things from an unbiased and coaching perspective, that one call did NOT cost Cleveland the game. It CHANGED the game without a doubt, but I have always been of the mindset that one play doesn't determine the outcome. Even if that happened the last play of the game, or even like the Saints game a few years ago. There are multiple plays I could point out that hurt 

I understand what you say.  IF the  helmet hit hadn't happened, it would not be a touchback...but likely a TD....and the  6-7 pts would have been the difference in the game.....but, sure, if that had happened things may have been played out differently....still,   you CAN look at it as being 7 pts. lost in a 5 pt. game. 

35 minutes ago, 5150k9 said:

I agree about the speering rule, and all the talking heads are too. Might see a change next season.

Book it...

Booth/NYC will be able to review and alert Officials on field of missed calls.

Kind of like the NCAA has done for... I don't know... two or three fucking years!!!

• Like 1

We win as team and lose as a team. This is as much of a team loss as I have ever seen. The Baker INT, dropped passes, not being able to contain their best players, not being able to capitalize on Mahomes getting knocked out of the game, not being able to stop their backup quarterback from scrambling for 15 yards. But yeah, let's look at this hit.

I hope we quit moaning about calls/non calls after today.... but I see a handful of us still whining about it come April.  

Anyway, hell of an effort by Higgy on that play and Baker sure has a rapport with him, and I hope our FO sees that in the offseason. 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

I hope we quit moaning about calls/non calls after today.... but I see a handful of us still whining about it come April.  

Anyway, hell of an effort by Higgy on that play and Baker sure has a rapport with him, and I hope our FO sees that in the offseason. 

Hilarious coming from the guy who would lose his shit if a timeout got used. 😂

34 minutes ago, Neo said:

Disagree... the fumble called attention to the hit. But once it is seen and discussed by the announcers, and called by Gene-Gene the Official machine, the hit has a life of its own.

Also had Higgins been hit legally there... he still fumbles.

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

... the refs were watching the ball and possession and just did not see the helmets meeting.  

Good excuse for the Side Judge, but the Back judge should have seen it.

31 minutes ago, nickers said:

He plays too much Tampa 2... I HATE the Tampa 2 defense..... You have to have an extraordinary secondary to even run it half assed...

So you'd prefer Sendejo in a single-high?

Also per Romo we played a lot of Cover 4 in the 2nd half.

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You had a couple of thoughts:

Could having OBJ back solve the "not fast enough" issue with our WRs.  I agree that we do not have anyone on the order of Hill (who does)....or OBJ who played today

Also, could  getting Delpit and Greedy back  be helpful for our "speed" issue in the secondary? 

Plus...certainly it looks like we have need for a couple of LLBs....a good run stopping one and a good  one to cover TEs. 

getting OBJ back, true, a serious field stretcher. He's 5'11". I'd like a 6'4" speed guy for mismatches added.

I don't know - if Greedy can get over nerve damage even before next season. That takes serious time, depending on the severity.

Getting Delpit back would be awesome, at FS, and Harrison is terrific at SS, but.... an injury to either one is a huge drop off I think.

Watching the Chief's lb's play so fast sideline to sideliine (the Browns kept trying, didn't work) seems to make the need for a very fast lb a good dramatic improvement in the first round.

So the NFL draft will be very perplexing. I really like Collins still. And Owusu at tweener/lb/SS. and I don't think that a first round cb will fall to the Browns.

But... I would not pass on Barmore. If he falls to the Browns, it's a nobrainer, In my goofy opinion.

I'm proud of our Browns' season & their "never give up" attitude. Past Browns' Teams probably would have folded early in this one.

As far as the hit that was a missed call, keep in mind that we had over 1 1/2 minutes left & had Higgins secured that ball with BOTH hands, we're sittin' on 1st & goal from the 1 or 2 yard line & that's what I would imagine Stefanski & Staff stressing to the Team.....Control what YOU can control.

Mike

12 minutes ago, Neo said:

This is as much of a team loss as I have ever seen.

I may be in the minority here but this loss is on our O sputtering its way thru the 1st half.

As I posted elsewhere we stopped ourselves on at least two drives.

Then add the other thing I've said...

If before the opening kickoff we were offered a scenario where our D holds KC's Offense to 22 points, then we'd have grabbed it in both hands and laughed as we ran to the exit so they couldn't take the offer back.

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hilarious coming from the guy who would lose his shit if a timeout got used. 😂

Ugh. You still don't get it, do you? smh

I get mad over the things that I can control.... like burning TOs (guessing you would've liked to have not burned 2 in the second half today???) going/not going for 2, etc, etc...

I can not control what the refs call or don't call and it's all part of the game and therefore I don't dwell on what I can't control. 

^ Great way to live life. ;) 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

Ugh. You still don't get it, do you? smh

I get mad over the things that I can control.... like burning TOs (guessing you would've liked to have not burned 2 in the second half today???) going/not going for 2, etc, etc...

I can not control what the refs call or don't call and it's all part of the game and therefore I don't dwell on what I can't control. 

^ Great way to live life. ;) 

oh shit

38 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Well adios for awhile I'm taking a little football beather and reflect on this Cleveland BROWNS season.

I'll watch some of the two geezers game and relax.

GO BROWNS 2021, set your goals high and go for it......baby !

peace brother

Just now, Canton Mike said:

I'm proud of our Browns' season & their "never give up" attitude. Past Browns' Teams probably would have folded early in this one.

As far as the hit that was a missed call, keep in mind that we had over 1 1/2 minutes left & had Higgins secured that ball with BOTH hands, we're sittin' on 1st & goal from the 1 or 2 yard line & that's what I would imagine Stefanski & Staff stressing to the Team.....Control what YOU can control.

Mike

Yep. I wish he had tucked it in and setlled for getting tackled at the one and a half yard line. But maybe the spearing would have knocked him senseless and he might have fumbled anyways.

He would have tucked it in.... if he had seen the replay... lol. The Browns are so very close to the superbowl.

Greedy wasn’t much when he’s played.  So please...if he’s coming back...we will see a soft tissue injury week 1 of the 2nd quarter after he’s beat for a TD.

Moving on....Hunt is fresh for next week.

I hate complaining about missed calls when we executed nothing and called an awful game.

Move on to the draft...clean house on defense.  

18 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes they are, but this isn't college??? I have no clue why you felt the need to tell me that, when you know that is something I would know.

And sure, if you want to just look at one play (then really it would be 6, especially when considering the amount of hate Parkey has gotten on here). And I won't even go full dissection into you to answer. All I will say is that having a 16 point lead vs. an at best 9 point lead is huge in a coaches mind/play calling. And if you want to point out 1 play that really hurt the Browns, couldn't the Chiefs do the same with Mahomes. The Browns almost assuredly don't hold Chiefs to 22 with PM. But that is besides the point.

I will say it again, a VERY BAD missed call. They happen. The officials didn't miss it on purpose. And since this is the ONLY area of field that you can lose the ball like that, regardless of the hit, need to be a bit safer there. The exact same thing can and has happened with legal hits.