THE BROWNS BOARD

WE NEED A RUNNING BACK

Riffer X

Guest Masters
And if you have a QB behind center who can make a quick read then the ball is gone long before the LB gets to the QB because the WR is in man2man coverage.

I'm not saying that RB should never have to block, but keeping a stud RB off the field because he isn't as good a blocker as say a TE is just ludicrous. Get your fastest guys on the field, the guys who can make plays and move chains (read:Harrison) and ask him to block only sparingly if he just can't block. But it's a moot point because I've seen Harrison pick up quite a few blocks during play time. Is he going to miss a block from time to time? Sure, everybody on the damn field misses a block from time to time.

My whole point though is that its beyond Retarded to delegate playing time and make value decisions on running backs based on how well they block....

That's going to all depend on down, distance, and how clean your WR get off the line. It's not quite as simple as having a QB making quick reads. I was mearly responding to your original post. I fully agree you don't always keep a RB off the field because he has issues with picking up the blitz (and other than his rookie year, I haven't actually seen Harrison have a problem with it). But if you have guys who are just bad like Davis and Herron were, they do limit you. If a RB is known for not being able to pick up the blitz and comes in the game, you have pretty much telegraphed to the D what you are doing .

I'd agree with that whole point, as oppossed to the just send the RB out in the flats concept from earlier.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived