THE BROWNS BOARD

Wednesday Practice HIGHLIGHTS

Dan in Florida

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

3:53:49 pm The Browns have struggled cashing in from the red zone, but Derek Anderson just ended practice by finding rookie WR Mohamed Massaquoi in the end zone. Massaquoi was covered tightly by Coye Francies.

3:30:37 pm Browns backup QB Brett Ratliff, who tossed two interceptions in the preseason opener, just threw a perfect 25-yarder over the middle to Lance Leggett. Ratliff has been inconsistent.

3:29:48 pm Browns KR/WR Josh Cribbs is still taking advantage of increased reps at wide receiver. He's catching everything thrown his way and has a shot at a starting job, though the Browns might prefer that one of their rookie WRs earn it.

3:29:01 pm Browns S Abram Elam and DL Louis Leonard made stops behind the line of scrimmage in game simulation. Elam is one player who has locked up a starting spot.

3:21:51 pm WR Mike Furrey has become a favorite target of Browns QB Brady Quinn. The two just hooked up on three consecutive short passes during game simulation.

3:14:34 pm Browns RB Jamal Lewis has been adept at catching the ball out of the backfield throughout camp. The team would like to get him the ball in the open field.

2:58:38 pm Browns QB Derek Anderson answered rival Brady Quinn's pinpoint pass to Braylon Edwards by firing a perfect long one to WR Lance Leggett. The plot thickens.

2:56:02 pm The cheer of the day was just raised when Browns QB Brady Quinn dropped a perfect long strike just over DB Corey Ivy and into the hands of WR Braylon Edwards.

2:48:07 pm First-round pick Alex Mack has been making fewer mistakes as training camp has progressed. If he and fellow C Hank Fraley play to a draw, look for Mack to start, a scenario the Browns would prefer.

2:24:54 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini stressed today that RB Jerome Harrison's continued absence gives rookie James Davis an opportunity to show he's worthy of playing time.

2:23:47 pm Opening Browns practice on the stationery bike are NT Shaun Rogers, WR Paul Hubbard, RB Jerome Harrison and LB David Bowens.

2:20:24 pm TE Robert Royal has been added to the list of sidelined Browns. He and WR David Patten are working with a trainer.

1:59:17 pm When it was suggested that Browns coach Eric Mangini should name a starting quarterback because that player is the face of the team, he replied, "the face of the team should be the team."

1:58:28 pm Robert Royal appears to be far ahead of the competition in the battle for the Browns starting TE spot. "What I like about Royal is that he does a nice job of route running, he's a good run blocker and he can work in the backfield some in pass protection," said coach Eric Mangini.

1:56:52 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini stressed that preparing both Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn as potential starters has its benefits. He said that one is that the backup is always one play and one injury away from being the starter.

1:55:01 pm Browns QBs and WRs didn't seem to be on the same page yesterday morning. The result was incompletions and INTs. When asked about disappointment, Browns coach Eric Mangini said, "(Defensive coordinator) Rob Ryan might see it differently."

1:52:46 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini is holding off announcing a starting quarterback for the Lions game until the end of the week. He wants to see both in situations such as third downs, red zone and two-minute drills before naming a full-time starter.

1:51:05 pm The Browns will work specifically today on preparing for Detroit, their opponent Saturday night in the first of two home preseason games.

1:50:25 pm When asked if he considered it ironic that the Browns will be playing Brett Favre and the Minneota Vikings in the regular season opener, coach Eric Mangini had a quick quip. "It will make for good TV," he said.

1:46:50 pm Last year, Eric Mangini coached Brett Favre. This year he will coach against Favre in the Browns regular season opener. "Brett is a great guy, fierce competitor and a fun guy to coach," Mangini said. "I'm a better coach for having coached him."

1:45:20 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini was pleased at how his team bounced back from a poor morning practice with a better session last night. "I talked with the guys about the need to play good football and smart football," he said. "I think they did a much better job."

1:43:58 pm The Cleveland Browns Foundation has launched a campaign to provide children with new shoes, clothing and school supplies. Anyone interested in contributing or donating money to the cause should call 216-881-7463 or visit www.sc4k.org.

2:58:38 pm Browns QB Derek Anderson answered rival Brady Quinn's pinpoint pass to Braylon Edwards by firing a perfect long one to WR Lance Leggett. The plot thickens.

Isn't this same guy that the fiery leader Anderson barked at yesterday?

Zombo

--guess he learned his route.

Quinn is with the ones for the third consecutive day... and hitting deep passes to Braylon for the second consecutive day.

Are we sure this competition is still happening? It doesn't feel like it.

Starting to feel like Furrey and Cribbs are 2 and 3, ahead of the rooks.

Yep, DA just hit a red zone TD, but to MoMass, clearly a 2nd stringer at this point. Where the heck is Robo?

Isn't this same guy that the fiery leader Anderson barked at yesterday?

Zombo

--guess he learned his route.

Man, that Derek Anderson sure is a leader!

C'mon, Z, enough is enough.

Man, that Derek Anderson sure is a leader!

C'mon, Z, enough is enough.

I'm just "Quinninizing" Anderson.

My posts often drip with satire. You've been around long enough to know that.

Zombo

I'm just "Quinninizing" Anderson.

My posts often drip with satire. You've been around long enough to know that.

Zombo

Obviously.

But the 'tards have been riled up to the point of lunacy. Plus da ich just showed back up. Dark times. :)

Obviously.

But the 'tards have been riled up to the point of lunacy. Plus da ich just showed back up. Dark times. :)

Good points.

I've already had somebody try to purchase my banishment this week, while another guy predicted I wouldn't show face If Anderson didn't get the job.

All while I was in other threads saying that I've been a fan since Leroy Kelly and that Quinn should win the job.

I like to tease the newbies in training camp, guess it's my way of preparing for the trolls in the regular season. We may have lost SoupDawg, but we gained ... Rich?? Oh dear God...

Zombo

FYI from today's presser:

"Mangini said that he expects Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson to split reps with the first team again this week."

Well worded Mangini. Split evenly is another thing.

I can't believe the Browns are waiting until the last week of August to decide this thing. Now that we're here, it seems a little ridiculous to me.

Sounds like DA had a good day, too.

Sounds like the offensive had a good day. Too good a day...

What does this mean:

a.) O-line is better today

b.) Defense played poorly

c.) The offense had a Varsity Blues-esque pep talk in the locker room and came out miraculously better

d.) They drank some Gatorade today

Good points.

I've already had somebody try to purchase my banishment this week

Zombo

Too funny. How much did he deem your "membership" worth?

Too funny. How much did he deem your "membership" worth?

50 bucks, which I thought was pretty good.

If one guy is willing to pay $50 not to read me, then if I can get a couple hundred people a week to not want to read me ... I can quit my day job.

Zombo

"Mangini said that he expects Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson to split reps with the first team again this week."

Its going to be hard to fit BQ in there during the first half with our defense constantly on the field after anderceptions 3 & outs and picks...;)

Halftime score:

Detroit 17

Browns 6

50 bucks, which I thought was pretty good.

If one guy is willing to pay $50 not to read me, then if I can get a couple hundred people a week to not want to read me ... I can quit my day job.

Zombo

You'd quit your day job for a measly $10,000 a week? :rolleyes:

Just watched the Quinn to Edwards bombs from Tuesday afternoon and today on STO... both were really deep down the left sideline. Tuesday, Braylon went up high and plucked it out. Today's was like 60 yards in the air, in stride, 65 yard TD. Looks like they like that play (!).

This play might give Braylon some confidence to keep his mitts on the ball if they can keep it going. This was DA & Braylon's bread and butter a couple of years back. Shit, even Charlie Frye liked this play if I remember correctly. Except Braylon had to come back for it when Charlie threw it..

Seeing Quinn in full pads and half a pass rush, flicking the ball 60-62 yards without a windup... it shuts some people up here. He's been doing it a lot lately, and accurately.

Hell, it shuts me up, too. Not on his ability to do it, but his willingness.

Queen can throw, it's the stupidest non question that was perpetrated by places like this board.

Queen can throw, it's the stupidest non question that was perpetrated by places like this board.

The strategy of every d-coordinator vs Quinn is 8 in the box.

No "perpetration" needed by this board.

Letting loose a couple as far as you can throw it in practice might make the media take note, but it doesn't make you any type of a deep threat in a football game. Sincerely, Ken Dorsey of 2008 training camp.

Letting loose a couple as far as you can throw it in practice might make the media take note, but it doesn't make you any type of a deep threat in a football game. Sincerely, Ken Dorsey of 2008 training camp.

How many camp practices you been to Lumshit? One would think as much as you pine for a certain Dumbslinger QB you would have made a camp by now.

The countdown is on boy.

Letting what die? That the question was asked?

For what it's worth, it's a myth that was raised in many, many corners. Weis was really irritated about it, saying he's seen Quinn make every conceivable throw with zip and go 65 in games and 70 in practice. I'm not exactly sure where it comes from originally because I've never seen evidence of a weak arm in camp, preseason games, or anywhere else.

The willingness is more valid, but it seems like he got over it.

The question is absurb because it isn't the willingness, it's the intelligence to take what the defense gives you. Just because Anderson continually throws into coverage does that mean that Quinn should also? If we know the guy can, which wasn't really a valid point, then there is no reason to think he won't, if the opportunity presents itself.

You can't gage last year's games because there wasn't anybody to throw to because every team just played Edwards man press with help over the top. Who was there to stretch the defense and keep them honest? Steptoe? Stallworth?

pleeeeese, your ignorance is showing, right along side of your bias for Anderson.

"8 in the box", what a novel concept you have come up with. Like teams don't use that know around the league. In some circles it's called the "46" defense, but of course a man of your intellegence would know that. Even the Browns use it a lot. Only problem is that it is about the personnel on the field to make it work. We have sucked at it because our LBs sucked at filling the gaps and our safties sucked.

But, to answer your quest about teams putting "8 in the box" against Quinn. Any offensive coordinator with anything up stairs and half a game plan can beat it to death. But, then again, it is about talent and execution. It isn't about "8 in the box" which is about as dumb as most of your posts. The WCO, which we attempt to run a version of, eats up your "8 in the box" theory.

If you watched any game film from when your boy was playing QB, most teams played "8 in the box" against Cleveland to take the run away and force him to throw. Knowing he couldn't keep from throwing into coverage.

Tha's why I say it doesn't matter who the QB is, it is going to be about the Oline and the RBs on offense. If the team can't be successful there, they will get their asses kicked. and, it doesn't matter if DA or BQ is at QB.

Then again, it isn't about the team for you, it is only about your boy.

If you watched any game film from when your boy was playing QB, most teams played "8 in the box" against Cleveland to take the run away and force him to throw. Knowing he couldn't keep from throwing into coverage.

Apparently you don't know what 8 in the box means. Watch what the SS does when Quinnie is in the game and then notice that he isn't in your television view area when Anderson is in.

Archived