THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL moving to 17 game season

LondonBrown

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Bad. 

Quantity over quality. 

Every regular sports season could stand having games trimmed from it. 

How they decide who the 17th game is against will be interesting as the current method is simple 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LondonBrown said:

How they decide who the 17th game is against will be interesting as the current method is simple 

So the current formula is:

(6) games vs your own division (home and away)

(4) games vs a division in opposite conference

Not sure how the other 6 games are set. I believe it has something to do with your division standing the year before. (If Browns finished in 3rd place in the AFC North, they would play 3rd place finishers in the AFC East, South and West?)

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Not sure how the other 6 games are set. I believe it has something to do with your division standing the year before. (If Browns finished in 3rd place in the AFC North, they would play 3rd place finishers in the AFC East, South and West?)

I think that’s right and the other three are one game against a team per division in other conference (one has already gone to the opposite division match ups) 

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Partially correct: 

1.   Six games home and home  vs.  your own division

2.  4 games vs.  all teams in  another division in your own  conference...on rotating basis

3.  4 games vs.  all teams in another division  in the other conference....on rotating basis

4.  2 games  vs.  the other two teams in your own conference that ended in the same spot in the standings as you  that are not in the other conf. division that your division is playing a round robin with.

5.  Last game  #17  will be against  a team in the other conference that ended in the same spot in the standings as you that is not in the division your division is playing round robin against,  on a  rotating basis: 

Ergo, Browns  in 2021  will be playing:   Rats, Squibs, Pussies  twice each.   They play each team in the AFC West.  They play each team in the NFC North.   They play the other  3rd place finishers in the AFCE and AFC South  i.e.  the Patriots and the  Texans.   And, they will play either the Cardinals,  Cowboys, or Panthers......and I believe I heard that it will be  the NFC  West  corresponding team for AFCN teams.    In other words:   Browns play  Cardinals,   Steelers play Seahawks,  Ravens play Rams.  Bengal play  49ers

As for which  teams get the  home field for that 17th game....again, I think it goes on a rotation basis...but I am not sure what happens this year. 

Here is schedule without  17th game:

46 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

To be announced this week according to Schefter, good or bad idea? 

Browns in the record books as the first to go 17-0 is gonna be nice 

Do you mean the schedule will be announced this week ....or just that they will announce the fact that they will implement the  17 game schedule....and come out with that schedule at a later time?  Which is nothing at all because we have know they were going to do that....for money,  for a year now.  

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

To be announced this week according to Schefter, good or bad idea? 

Browns in the record books as the first to go 17-0 is gonna be nice 

I will like a 17 game schedule if they cut out all pre-season games. 

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Probably cut it down to  2.....and most 3,  but not all.    They still make big money from those and  they do have some use in separating the wheat from the Chaff. 

The money they lose from those meaningless games will be partially subsidized by the one extra real game..... and I don't think a single NFL owner is relying on a stimulus check to meet payroll. 

Any good coaching staff can get down to 53 without a single pre-season game, especially given the practice squad.

The pre-season games are for the owners and not the players, while the 17th game is for the fans.   

17 games is an awful idea. They already take the first games too easy to even have more games to have more injuries. 

I agree with DBone, I would accept it if they got rid of the preseason games. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Probably cut it down to  2.....and most 3,  but not all.    They still make big money from those and  they do have some use in separating the wheat from the Chaff. 

They are cutting 1 pre-season game.  This year we will have one pre-season home game  and one extra regular.  Next year 2 preseason home games and a extra road game.

NFL expanding the schedule to 17 games this week is more of a formality than it is news. #Browns are expected to host #Cardinals in that 17th game in 2021.
Kyler huh.. grow the grass long or snow  

8 hours ago, D Bone said:

The money they lose from those meaningless games will be partially subsidized by the one extra real game..... and I don't think a single NFL owner is relying on a stimulus check to meet payroll. 

Any good coaching staff can get down to 53 without a single pre-season game, especially given the practice squad.

The pre-season games are for the owners and not the players, while the 17th game is for the fans.   

Yes,  the  17th game is for the owners pocketbooks....though clearly the players will benefit monetarily as well.   And the preseason games are also for the owners pocketbooks,  but I do think that  most GMs/coaches want  a couple of live games to do some evaluations.  They COULD do without,  but they much prefer to have those  games that don't count

8 hours ago, D Bone said:

The pre-season games are for the owners and not the players

Disagree...

Many a player has earned a roster spot by getting noticed in preseason, whereas the owners make less since the games are so lightly attended. With vets playing less than ever this is truer than ever.

Converting one preseason game to one that counts is a terrible precedent to set.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Disagree...

Many a player has earned a roster spot by getting noticed in preseason, whereas the owners make less since the games are so lightly attended. With vets playing less than ever this is truer than ever.

Converting one preseason game to one that counts is a terrible precedent to set.

I would argue that far more players have made the team in practice. Sure a big play in a game wows the media, who then pumps it out to the fans, but any competent coaching staff has seen glimpses of that before in camp. 

While the games are lightly attended, they are still televised on local affiliates and the owners are still getting paid. The only positive I see regarding pre-season games is it does employ a lot of people that live pay check to pay check. (parking, security, vendors, etc..) 

Never have been and never will be a pre-season fan. 

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Disagree...

Agree and the next move is probably expansion. That’s a money grab too and Hopefully it isn’t 20 games. 

2,3,4 preseason games your stars and significant role players aren’t playing a lot.  It is for the depth guys and rookies.  Do we need 4 games to figure out depth with scrimmages and practices factored in too

24 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Agree and the next move is probably expansion. That’s a money grab too and Hopefully it isn’t 20 games. 

2,3,4 preseason games your stars and significant role players aren’t playing a lot.  It is for the depth guys and rookies.  Do we need 4 games to figure out depth with scrimmages and practices factored in too

By expansion, if you mean more teams....that is not happening any time soon.   These owners do not want to  share any more of the money pie.    If by that you mean expansion to  18 games....that IS what the owners have wanted to do all along,  but to do that they would need to get the PA to agree, and so far, no dice on that,  but I do expect it to happen some day. 

22 hours ago, D Bone said:
  1. I would argue that far more players have made the team in practice. Sure a big play in a game wows the media, who then pumps it out to the fans, but any competent coaching staff has seen glimpses of that before in camp. 
  2. While the games are lightly attended, they are still televised on local affiliates and the owners are still getting paid. The only positive I see regarding pre-season games is it does employ a lot of people that live pay check to pay check. (parking, security, vendors, etc..) 
  3. Never have been and never will be a pre-season fan. 
  1. "A big play" can't win a spot, but 20 minutes of solid tape can. The bottom 10 of a 90-man roster may not see 20 minutes of scrimmage time in a week of practice... and STs, the best hope of the bottom 10, see very little, full-go, practice time.
  2. Not "paid"... just receiving income. You ran a business... you should understand a balance sheet. (more below) As for employees... fewer work preseason games.
  3. Me neither as is the case with 80-90% of NFL fans. It's why they are so lightly attended... and light attendance means reduced income, even if Preseason games are included in season ticket packages.

Teams, except one, don't release financial data because they are private corporations. The one exception is the publicly owned Packers... and thru them and some public league revenue sharing data we get a peek.

• TV and licensing revenue send around $300mm to each team... save da Boyz, who have their own, separate merchandise deals.
  • This was about 60% of GB's income the remainder of which is from local sources, i.e., ticket sales, concessions, and local sponsors.
  • GB's 2020 gross income total was $507mm.
  • GB's gross expenses were $437mm for a net profit before taxes of $70mm ($35mm after taxes).

Swap one preseason game attended by 10k to a "real game" attended by 65k and for every $20 spent on concessions (the average NFL fan spend) that's $1.1mm of free money flowing to the bottom line. Nothing to sneeze at...

Yes,  certainly it is a fact that  NFL teams do not make  as much money on preseason games as they do on regular season games.....but they still make a significant amount of money  which is why they want to keep at least a couple.

Does anyone remember when  NFL teams were not quite so greedy about their preseason game?     They used to play them in neutral cities,  or they would have special events:

Remember the  preseason  Doubleheaders at  Muni Stadium?    Remember that the Browns used to play a preseason game at the Rubber Bowl?   The Giants had played a game at the Syracuse Carrier Dome.   The Packers had games at  Camp Randall Stadium in  Madison Wisc.     The Packers also played a game in Winnipeg, and the Bills played in Toronto.   I believe the Cowboys may have played some games in San Antonio.   

And, of course, there is the special Hall of Fame Game in Canton,  but that game is an extra preseason game for the teams selected to play in it.  

The last time the Browns played in it was  in 1999.    I am not sure why  the Browns have not played in it since.    Given its proximity to Cleveland you would think they would want the local team in there,  but, perhaps, that is precisely why they haven't  been in since.  Besides  1999, the Browns were in the HOF game in:  1990, 1981, 1967,  1963

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. "A big play" can't win a spot, but 20 minutes of solid tape can. The bottom 10 of a 90-man roster may not see 20 minutes of scrimmage time in a week of practice... and STs, the best hope of the bottom 10, see very little, full-go, practice time.
  2. Not "paid"... just receiving income. You ran a business... you should understand a balance sheet. (more below) As for employees... fewer work preseason games.
  3. Me neither as is the case with 80-90% of NFL fans. It's why they are so lightly attended... and light attendance means reduced income, even if Preseason games are included in season ticket packages.

Teams, except one, don't release financial data because they are private corporations. The one exception is the publicly owned Packers... and thru them and some public league revenue sharing data we get a peek.

• TV and licensing revenue send around $300mm to each team... save da Boyz, who have their own, separate merchandise deals.
  • This was about 60% of GB's income the remainder of which is from local sources, i.e., ticket sales, concessions, and local sponsors.
  • GB's 2020 gross income total was $507mm.
  • GB's gross expenses were $437mm for a net profit before taxes of $70mm ($35mm after taxes).

Swap one preseason game attended by 10k to a "real game" attended by 65k and for every $20 spent on concessions (the average NFL fan spend) that's $1.1mm of free money flowing to the bottom line. Nothing to sneeze at...

I don't disagree with any of that, and I know it's what has always been done.

To reiterate, my original comment was "I will like a 17 game schedule if they cut out all pre-season games."

Just because it's what has always been done before, doesn't mean it's not what needs to be done now or in the future, and to believe there is no way a team could possibly be built without pre-season games is just untrue..... I see you there 2020 NFL season and all NCAA seasons. 

Add the extra real game. Scrub all pre-season games. Increase the roster to 55, increase the practice squad by 3 and tweak some of the rules regarding the practice squad to help insure that if a team somehow does miss on a hidden gem of a player, he is still their property for the 1st 6 weeks of every season..... it's not really that hard.

As for the owners losing revenue? Cry me a river. Maybe they will have to order water with dinner once - or God forbid even twice, instead of that bottle of Dom Perignon, but something tells me the billionaires club will be juuuuust fine.😏  

The  17 game season has been basically written in stone for a year now.  

The only new news is that we now know that the  17th game will be a home game against the Arizona  Cardinals,  pitting the two Sooner Heisman winners against each other. 

But we don't have any dates yet.