THE BROWNS BOARD

What a difference a week makes

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

Well, as the title says, what a difference a week makes. On the field and on this message board. After last weeks game you'd think the season was lost. After this week, hope has returned some. Just like last week, this was a preseason game, so you can't draw to much from it, as far as what will happen when they play real games. But here is my take and some things i saw.

Over all the Browns came out and played with a lot more fire. I think it's a safe guess that the team had a rough week following the GB debacle. Mangini's message certainly set in for this game.

The Defense was much better this week. They were much stronger at the point of attack and against the run. It looks to me that the players were more comfortable this week. There was less of that look, think, then react and more of see it an react. Basically the guys look like they are a little more sure of themselves and what is being asked. Like last week CLE kept showing different fronts and requiring the QB to figure out where and if the blitz is coming. As oppossed to the GB game, they didn't just show it then drop back. They sent guys, and from various locations. Personally I think what we have seen between the GB and last nights game, the real defensive scheme/approach will be somewhere inbetween. A lot of varying fronts and disguises of blitz, but with the spots being chosen when to actually bring it.

A concern I still saw was the inability to get pressure on the QB when sending only 4 rushers. CLE is going to have to find a way to get pressure with just 4, or they are going to have a lot of trouble stopping teams from converting 3rd and medium yardage this season.

Some guys on D that stood out to me this week are as follows:

Rubin - Filling in again for Rogers, Rubin did a very solid job clogging up the middle.

Smith, Williams, and Coleman - All 3 guys from the DE position had much better nights. They looked far more comfortable this week against the run.

Wimbley - For the second week he showed that he has been working on his run stopping. He did a good job of sealing off his outside and cutting back inside to make tackles and stops. One the pass rushing side, I can't say I have ever seen a guy who constantly gets so close to get to the QB but just doesn't get there. If CLE can get some help rushing the passer from anywhere else, Wimbley is going to get to QBs.

Hall - We had a Hall sighting. Seeing time early, Hall showed improvement in his run stopping. He did a much better job of sealing off the outside and getting in on the action when the ball was run to his side.

Elam - Had a good night coming in against the rush.

On the offensive side of the ball, I didn't see much different from last week. The only thing that changed to me was rolls (DA and Quinn). The running game still has questions, as there were few holes being opened.

Some guys on O that stood out ot me this week are as follows:

St. Clair - Do you not want to be the starting T? Man, that guy is in for a tough film review this week. Two stupid penalties that killed drives. Not a good day.

Mack - He was very good on the run side, as far as push the D back, as oppossed to Fraley and getting pushed into the back field. If the kid can learn the blitz reads and line adjustments, the starting job is his for the taking.

Massaquoi - He is getting on here for hanging on to the ball after taking that shot on the first drive. He got led into trouble by the pass, took his lick, and hung on. Let's just hope he doesn't have to see that on a regular basis, or he might go gator arm like BE and Winslow got after a few to many of those plays.

Davis - Well the rookie got extra chances this week with Harrison not playing and took advantage of it. He is still going to need to show it when a team hasn't already quit. Though the running game will go as the run blocking goes.

Cribbs - Keep this up and your going to get your new contract. Looked again to be getting better at the WR position. Still has some trouble with his coverage reads, but he is much crisper on his route running this week and looks comfortable looking the ball in. It is looking like he may just get that #2 WR roll with Furrey getting the 3rd spot (and looks good in it). I won't even touch on his special teams play because we all know Cribbs is unbelievable there.

The QBs - Well this week the rolls reversed and so did the out come. DA got the start and like BQ the week before he was able to move the ball. Unlike last week the team finished the drives off with points. I don't think the difference in points on the board have anything to do with DA or BQ at the helm. They were different teams and different circumstances. I saw good DA and bad DA in his time. The troubles on the short throws reared it's ugly head a couple of times (including a pick in the 2 minute drill). Over all DA was DA from what I saw. I already knew when given cover 2 and cover 3 DA could hit his WR over the top of the LB/underneith the DB coverage. This wasn't something new from DA. I also saw the same issue DA has had for some time with his pocket presence. He just doesn't ever look comfortable stepping up into the pocket and seems to have a nack for stepping up into trouble rather than stepping up away from it.

Quinn was like DA last week. While Quinn was the victim of circumstances on his drives (St. Clair not getting all the way up on the line and holding), like DA the week before, he failed to take advantage of his opportunity. Quinn still looked comfortable in the pocket and with the plays.

At this point CLE still seems to be at square 1 with the QB competition. Last week Quinn had a chance to give a knock out blow and failed, while DA did little to help himself. This week the rolls change, but the story remains the same one. DA had a chance to give a knock out blow and failed, while Quinn did little to help himself. I hate to say it, but I think this QB competition is going to go all the way down to the last preseason game.

Good points one and all...but I would like to add a few:

Maiava: Already showing to be a ST beast.

Steinbach: He is getting beat more often than I have ever seen before. Maybe it is the weight change and adjusting to moving with it, but he is not doing as well as I expected.

Secondary: Only 2 completions for over 10 yards in the first half (12, 20). Nothing over the top. Guys were all over the receivers all night long.

DL/OLB: While they didn't dominate, they also didn't have Rogers in there. He was rested for the second week. Once he gets in there, get ready for our OLB's to start getting to the QB due to the additional inside push.

DA: He had a good game overall, but I am still noticing that the completions were not in stride. The only one I saw in stride was MoMass and he was led into a crunching hit. The sideline pass to BE that went out for an incomplete was a gimme TD if accurate. A couple of other passes I noted the receiver turning around or stopping to make the catch. This may be just timing, or it could be DA's accuracy, only the coaches know for sure.

Cribbs: STILL a BEAST. He can make or break this season for us with his returns...add in his play at WR and I say make sure he is happy...for a LOOONG time.

Anyway, it was good to see something positive.

Guest Masters
Good points one and all...but I would like to add a few:

Maiava: Already showing to be a ST beast.

Steinbach: He is getting beat more often than I have ever seen before. Maybe it is the weight change and adjusting to moving with it, but he is not doing as well as I expected.

Secondary: Only 2 completions for over 10 yards in the first half (12, 20). Nothing over the top. Guys were all over the receivers all night long.

DL/OLB: While they didn't dominate, they also didn't have Rogers in there. He was rested for the second week. Once he gets in there, get ready for our OLB's to start getting to the QB due to the additional inside push.

DA: He had a good game overall, but I am still noticing that the completions were not in stride. The only one I saw in stride was MoMass and he was led into a crunching hit. The sideline pass to BE that went out for an incomplete was a gimme TD if accurate. A couple of other passes I noted the receiver turning around or stopping to make the catch. This may be just timing, or it could be DA's accuracy, only the coaches know for sure.

Cribbs: STILL a BEAST. He can make or break this season for us with his returns...add in his play at WR and I say make sure he is happy...for a LOOONG time.

Anyway, it was good to see something positive.

Maiava, I knew I missed somebody. Excellent point WPB. The guys is thrown to special teams to make a name for himself and he is doing it. We will be seeing this kid later this year in the regular LB rotation.

Guest Aloysius

Didn't see that with Steinbach. I went back and re-watched the game and thought he played pretty well. The one play where Quinn got hit on 3rd and 2 was the only exception.

Guest Aloysius
Hall - We had a Hall sighting. Seeing time early, Hall showed improvement in his run stopping. He did a much better job of sealing off the outside and getting in on the action when the ball was run to his side.

But there seemed to be many snaps where they went with 3 LB's (Wimbley, Barton, Jackson) and added another DB in the box instead of Hall. It seems like the coaching staff still doesn't have much confidence in him.

Guest Masters
But there seemed to be many snaps where they went with 3 LB's (Wimbley, Barton, Jackson) and added another DB in the box instead of Hall. It seems like the coaching staff still doesn't have much confidence in him.

Not sure if that was about confidence in Hall or more about the front and coverage they were planning.

Guest Masters
We did look better this week but ill wait until we play a team with a win last season until i will admit we turned it around from preseason game 1. If we do that against Tennessee then ill be a believer.

Well it is preseason games. I personally won't believe much of anything untilt he games count. After all, DET was undefeated last year in preseason and winless in the regular season.

Guest Aloysius
Not sure if that was about confidence in Hall or more about the front and coverage they were planning.

Could be. It just seemed like he didn't get a chance to showcase his skills, at least with the first team.

It's funny: during the spring, many of us thought that the Browns would bring in someone like Orakpo to play the strong side, then let Wimbley and Hall compete for the other spot. Instead, Wimbley's been moved to SOLB and Hall doesn't seem to be in the running for a starting job.

Hopefully, Bowens gets healthy soon and plays well on the weak side.

Guest Masters
Could be. It just seemed like he didn't get a chance to showcase his skills, at least with the first team.

It's funny: during the spring, many of us thought that the Browns would bring in someone like Orakpo to play the strong side, then let Wimbley and Hall compete for the other spot. Instead, Wimbley's been moved to SOLB and Hall doesn't seem to be in the running for a starting job.

Hopefully, Bowens gets healthy soon and plays well on the weak side.

He certainly hasn't gotten much of a chance to showcase his pass rushing skills.

Hall is certainly looking like he won't be cracking the starting roster any time soon like some thought he might be.

It would be good to see Bowens play some on the weak side. Thought I get the feeling we aren't going to see him or Rogers until the games count.

I'm happy to see Cribbs catching the ball. Last year he couldn't catch a cold, this year you can see a big improvement. I hope he cracks the line up at #2.

Edwarsd, Cribbs, Furrey, MoMass and Robo is how I see the depth chart as of this preseason game.

I still think Heiden is a better TE option then Royal, not sure why he isn't starting. He played and had a nice catch from DA, but only as the #2 TE.

Guest Masters
I still think Heiden is a better TE option then Royal, not sure why he isn't starting. He played and had a nice catch from DA, but only as the #2 TE.

I think for the simple reason that Royals blocking (pass and run) are better than Heidens.

Like to state Robaire smith shined this week... with Coleman,rogers and robaire up front...we have a good 3-4 Dl against the run.

Also has anyone seen Bowens play yet...haven't seen him in there to my recollection. I'm on board for trading Corey Williams if Robairre is back!

Guest Masters
Like to state Robaire smith shined this week... with Coleman,rogers and robaire up front...we have a good 3-4 Dl against the run.

Also has anyone seen Bowens play yet...haven't seen him in there to my recollection. I'm on board for trading Corey Williams if Robairre is back!

I thought so as well. Though I'll save my judgement until they play real games.

I haven't seen Bowens on the field yet.

I would not trade C. Williams. All it takes is one injury and he is going to be needed. With Smith on a repaired leg, I'd rather not risk counting on him for 16 games.

Admittedly, I didn't see anything with Steinbach, but I have been, & continue to be, a big fan of Maiava's. On his 1st ST tackle Saturday, he didn't bite on the "jukes"...instead, he wrapped the guy up in both arms & planted him! I am convinced we got a real steal with this young man. Like Cribbs, he's a "football player". No hyped up superstar, just the kind of blue collar worker who helps a team win.

Mike

I don't understand why no one thinks Maiava could start on the defense, I think he'll end up being the starter at ILB alongside D'Qwell once Barton is no longer on the team or is retired(and Barton was great last season).

I don't think either one can play the SILB spot adequately enough. That's a brutal position needing a brutish player. I just can't see either one smashing their face into 320+ pound OGs for 40+ plays per game.

-Al

I don't understand why no one thinks Maiava could start on the defense, I think he'll end up being the starter at ILB alongside D'Qwell once Barton is no longer on the team or is retired(and Barton was great last season).

Beef,

I think you're on the right track with this kid. I think the plan with him is to let him crack in excelling on special teams and eventually get him some occasional reps on D. I think we might see him in the mix by mid-season. As you said, Barton isn't getting any younger and guys can get dinged up. I'm sure Shaun Rogers will do a good job of keeping bodies off our ILBers. Rubin looks much improved holding his ground and playing with better leverage/base than last year IMO. That'll work well for our ILBers too.

- Tom F.

So how do you trade a guy who has played lousy and been hurt. What do you really think we can get? ..seriously.. nothing of value.. Let's hope he is healthy, has another year under his belt in the 3-4 and improves.. he has way more value on the roster than traded for what??? 6th round pick.. I mean has he played well enough to generate a higher trade value.?? It's stupid to think anyone wants to give us anything of value.. better off keeping him .

So how do you trade a guy who has played lousy and been hurt. What do you really think we can get? ..seriously.. nothing of value.. Let's hope he is healthy, has another year under his belt in the 3-4 and improves.. he has way more value on the roster than traded for what??? 6th round pick.. I mean has he played well enough to generate a higher trade value.?? It's stupid to think anyone wants to give us anything of value.. better off keeping him .

Because they simply don't want him. You don't keep somebody you don't want. They have been showcasing him all Augest.

Because they simply don't want him. You don't keep somebody you don't want. They have been showcasing him all Augest.

SHOWCASE????? He has 2 tackles and 2 assists in 2 games...I have not heard anything about other teams being interested in him. His agent has said nothing about the browns trying to trade him.. I don't see it.

Archived