THE BROWNS BOARD

Reasons why the Browns' defense will take them to the superbowl

calfoxwc

On 5/23/2021 at 2:33 PM, SdBacker80 said:

The offense can get us to the playoffs- that was proven last year.

Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson present the challenges to the Super Bowl.  We have the personnel to play Woods pressure with four drop the rest in coverage. This style of play is suited to take on the Chiefs and the Ravens- Mahomes and Jackson you get killed if your blitz doesn’t get there and you give up the big play....Although we need to worry about being stout against the run with the Ravens.  Whatever Woods did last year against the Ravens just do the opposite.

You beat those three QBs above with interior pressure all the great QBs have trouble with pressure in the or face.  That’s the next piece with this defense unless with all this versatility we now possess we kick Myles and Clowney inside on some pass rush downs. 

three keys this year...

1. Health

2. Baker continuing on his path to being a very good QB 

3. Luck (not Andrew) but being a little lucky.  Good bounce in big game, favorable call in a big game, etc. 

I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

5 minutes ago, nickers said:

I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

“Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

• Thanks 1

Joe Woods actually did a good job covering for a lack of talent in the secondary and lb's.

The Browns defense was lacking speed. I just can't see blaming Woods and asst coaches for a lack of talent.

This year? I don't see Woods having the same problems. Does anybody, seriously?

The truth is, imho, that Woods has tremendous experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and all

the tweaks in between. He did a lot of good things in covering for a lack of talent - it's all you can do.

The Browns know that - that is why they had to fix the secondary and lb position in the draft and FA.

With the talent now? barring a flood of injuries, the Browns defense should be a top five defense.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/4-things-to-know-about-new-browns-dc-joe-woods/

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/17/coordinator-joe-woods-knows-hes-under-pressure-to-produce-with-lots-of-talent-added-to-defense/

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

“Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

And you're a big ASSHOLE with Dunning Kruger Syndrome

Have a nice day Know it all!

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Joe Woods actually did a good job covering for a lack of talent in the secondary and lb's.

The Browns defense was lacking speed. I just can't see blaming Woods and asst coaches for a lack of talent.

This year? I don't see Woods having the same problems. Does anybody, seriously?

The truth is, imho, that Woods has tremendous experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and all

the tweaks in between. He did a lot of good things in covering for a lack of talent - it's all you can do.

The Browns know that - that is why they had to fix the secondary and lb position in the draft and FA.

With the talent now? barring a flood of injuries, the Browns defense should be a top five defense.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/4-things-to-know-about-new-browns-dc-joe-woods/

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/17/coordinator-joe-woods-knows-hes-under-pressure-to-produce-with-lots-of-talent-added-to-defense/

Sorry Cal.. Joe Woods is garbage..

1 hour ago, nickers said:

And you're a big ASSHOLE with Dunning Kruger Syndrome

Have a nice day Know it all!

Yes, I am an asshole.   Much like any good comedian, I'm an asshole who presents the truth - but through the prism of humor.  I'm just not always so subtle about it. In this case, I'm an even bigger asshole because I am (demonstrably) correct.  

Dunning Kruger in this particular case is hilariously applicable to you.  So not only do you have a mental affliction for these topics, you also suffer from severe projection.   I've gone as far as to detail on this board posts that you are welcomed to search for, Joe Woods transition away from the single high/MOTFC looks which he loved so much in Denver and was forced into more 2 high looks between C2, C4, C6, C9 and such in Cleveland because of just how bad our DB play was.    I can do so at a pretty high level whilst you cannot.  So......  yeah, DK all the way, champ.

You regale us with these complaints about Joe Woods, but you lack any and all ability to explain them at even the most fundamental level.    And because you have no idea what you're really saying, more specifically the "why" behind it, then you're really just bitching at this point.

There are reasons why my posts on this board receive more upvotes, likes, quotes and weighed attention than yours.     You might want to take a step back and ask why that reason is.

29 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Yes, I am an asshole.   Much like any good comedian, I'm an asshole who presents the truth - but through the prism of humor.  I'm just not always so subtle about it. In this case, I'm an even bigger asshole because I am (demonstrably) correct.  

Dunning Kruger in this particular case is hilariously applicable to you.  So not only do you have a mental affliction for these topics, you also suffer from severe projection.   I've gone as far as to detail on this board posts that you are welcomed to search for, Joe Woods transition away from the single high/MOTFC looks which he loved so much in Denver and was forced into more 2 high looks between C2, C4, C6, C9 and such in Cleveland because of just how bad our DB play was.    I can do so at a pretty high level whilst you cannot.  So......  yeah, DK all the way, champ.

You regale us with these complaints about Joe Woods, but you lack any and all ability to explain them at even the most fundamental level.    And because you have no idea what you're really saying, more specifically the "why" behind it, then you're really just bitching at this point.

There are reasons why my posts on this board receive more upvotes, likes, quotes and weighed attention than yours.     You might want to take a step back and ask why that reason is.

Seems the person most bothered by this is... You!.. I OWN YOU! Fuck you and your "sissy" Upvotes,,,  Apparently your looking for a medal... There's the "Special Olympics" for people like you...

Joe Woods sucks... Big Deal.. He got a SB on Wade Phillips's coat tails.. I don't see teams rushing to hire him as their HC..

So stick those upvotes up your ASS!

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Make or break year for Joe. 

Yep, he's been handed the best roster in NFL history < the media's opinion - not mine > and if he doesn't have the Browns in the top 5 in both total and scoring defense, then it will be fair to say he sucks. He now has a ton of pressure on him and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he doesn't recognize it.

I'm rooting for him, but the pre-season expectations for his side of the ball are off the charts and are probably unfair to say the least.... Hell, just look at the title of this thread.  

Is it about the Xs and Os? or is it about the Jimmys and Joes? Or both?

Joe expects the pressure to come upfront with his front 4.  He’s known as one of the more conservative D coordinators in the league.  So as long as he’s here we need a steady rotation of guys upfront that can create pressure.  You will not see exotic Joe and his pressure from other spots often. 

Case in point...
I couldn’t stand his approach on 4th downs last year where We would see soft coverage and pressure with 4 and then a five yard catch and run to move the chains on 4th and 4. 

I acknowledge the fact that we didn’t have much...we had a guy like Delpit go down.  But you don’t help a slow and green secondary by making those guys cover an extra couple seconds you have disrupt the QBs timing get him off his spot and force errant throws that way.

Example of some madness:

Joe would rather drop a guy like Karl Joseph back in coverage and that’s not his thing he’s a good box safety.  I feel like joe didn’t adapt well. 

He has an opportunity this year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Joe expects the pressure to come upfront with his front 4.  He’s known as one of the more conservative D coordinators in the league.  So as long as he’s here we need a steady rotation of guys upfront that can create pressure.  You will not see exotic Joe and his pressure from other spots often. 

Case in point...
I couldn’t stand his approach on 4th downs last year where We would see soft coverage and pressure with 4 and then a five yard catch and run to move the chains on 4th and 4. 

I acknowledge the fact that we didn’t have much...we had a guy like Delpit go down.  But you don’t help a slow and green secondary by making those guys cover an extra couple seconds you have disrupt the QBs timing get him off his spot and force errant throws that way.

Example of some madness:

Joe would rather drop a guy like Karl Joseph back in coverage and that’s not his thing he’s a good box safety.  I feel like joe didn’t adapt well. 

I think Woods annoyed a lot of us with that - but for good reason. With a lack of talent, having Joseph play in the box would give up quicker scores. "Bend don't break" was surely due to a lack of talent. Gregg Williams blitzed a good bit more, but Woods' defenses have gotten a lot more pressures.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/18/browns-defense-blitz-rate-qb-pressure-joe-woods-scheme/

It's a trade off - Different coverages to cover up for a lack of talent/speed in the secondary. Blitzing is fairly worthless when you can't cover a TE or RB that floats over the middle of a loose zone. Play tighter, get beaten more. Lack of talent, the Browns had to try to bend but not give up dramatic quick scores.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/04/browns-2020-pass-coverage-schemes-surprisingly-unique/

No worries for me - I think with the talent, Woods will utilize it to the max. We'll see.

Wasn't nickers the poster who said that Kevin Stefanski was going to suck based on nicker's thinking that Stefanski was effeminate-looking?

Before any of you really think about this, the answer is yes.

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

I prefer the adjective, Dreamy. 

I just prefer we didn't have Joe Woods.. I want someone more aggressive!.. I'm sick of the "Bend but break" SHIT!

I thought Joe Woods had a good first year.

Look, we knew our back seven was awful, especially after the injuries, that is not the first year DC's fault.

And Myles being a non-factor after he got Covid was another huge loss.

Yet, somehow, we won 12 games, had key stops in big games, had timely turnovers and got the ball back in our offense's hands at money time. And we ranked in the middle of pack ... we have seen a LOT of worse defenses in the past 20 years.

The scheme wasn't the problem,  we just needed another year to stock more TALENT on that side of the ball. That has been done. 

We had Sendejo at Safety,  Robert Jackson forced to start at corner and Wali Wilson getting beat like a red-headed stepchild in the middle of the field. Those days are gone.

Mr. Berry got Mr. Woods some groceries, and now we don't have to play scared defense anymore we can attack, with speed all over. Expect to be Top Ten on Both sides of the ball this year.

This guy was the 49ers passing game coordinator when they went to the Super Bowl and the Broncos DB coach when they won the Super Bowl. He's got more defensive knowledge in his little black pinky than Nicker's has in that big white noggin of his.

Z

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/5/2021 at 2:04 PM, Dutch Oven said:

nicker's thinking that Stefanski was effeminate-looking?

Kinder than DieHard's take on our Chief of Staff...

On 7/5/2021 at 11:10 AM, SdBacker80 said:

Case in point...

Example of some madness:

Problem is as tia pointed out Joe did adapt... there were simply limits to how much the man could do.

As for pressure vs. laying back...

Couple weeks ago I read an article that our 2020 D was 10 times more likely to yield points when rushing more than four. It was one of those "advanced stat" thangs.

You can be sure our analytics boys had Joe fully informed of this.

So when your choices are give up points grudgingly by laying back or quickly by blitzing... you choose the former... always... giving your opponent more opportunities to aid your cause in derailing their drive.

56 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Kinder than DieHard's take on our Chief of Staff...

Didn't that guy beg to get thrown off this board because he was super duper butthurt, got his wish, then begged to be allowed back? That guy?

On 7/5/2021 at 12:10 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Routes tend to dictate where the DB ends when we pattern match.  So for example when we moved to more c4 and c6 looks middle of the year - if karl is over a #2 or #3 and those routes carry upfield then guess what? So goes the DB.  

And our pressure rates along with yardage and big plays given up when we sent additional bodies rose commensurately.  Meaning the more we sent, we were often burned for the decision.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Can't execute high level schemes and calls without the proper athletes.

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Didn't that guy beg to get thrown off this board because he was super duper butthurt, got his wish, then begged to be allowed back? That guy?

I mean, between the drunk old guy who spends his days trolling and the fat, Italian, wonderwall playing douche know-it-all...  that's just peak masculinity.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Routes tend to dictate where the DB ends when we pattern match.  So for example when we moved to more c4 and c6 looks middle of the year - if karl is over a #2 or #3 and those routes carry upfield then guess what? So goes the DB.  

And our pressure rates along with yardage and big plays given up when we sent additional bodies rose commensurately.  Meaning the more we sent, we were often burned for the decision.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Can't execute high level schemes and calls without the proper athletes.

I mean, between the drunk old guy who spends his days trolling and the fat, Italian, wonderwall playing douche know-it-all...  that's just peak masculinity.

You're the drunk Tia.  Not me.  And you're a punk.

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

1. No amount of drinking will erase the memory of what that guy did willingly in his Navy years. His "poop deck" was always open for business, I'm guessing.

2. Please do not refer to that pile of shit as Italian. We want nothing to do with him either. 

41 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

1. No amount of drinking will erase the memory of what that guy did willingly in his Navy years. His "poop deck" was always open for business, I'm guessing.

2. Please do not refer to that pile of shit as Italian. We want nothing to do with him either. 

Who is the fat Italian guy?

Certainly not me, I am the Dad bod (ok, grand dad bod)Irish American guy.

Z

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zombo said:

Who is the fat Italian guy?

Certainly not me, I am the Dad bod (ok, grand dad bod)Irish American guy.

Z

The guy with the creepy "I'm peaking over my guitar hey kid want some candy its in my van" profile pic. 

On 7/6/2021 at 10:45 AM, Zombo said:

Look, we knew our back seven was awful, especially after the injuries, that is not the first year DC's fault.

And Myles being a non-factor after he got Covid was another huge loss.

Yet, somehow, we won 12 games, had key stops in big games, had timely turnovers and got the ball back in our offense's hands at money time. And we ranked in the middle of pack ... we have seen a LOT of worse defenses in the past 20 years.

The scheme wasn't the problem,  we just needed another year to stock more TALENT on that side of the ball. That has been done. 

We had Sendejo at Safety,  Robert Jackson forced to start at corner

This sums up my view also.  

The offense was prioritized in offseason #1.  Woods had to make do with what he had.  We all knew that safety & LB'er was going to be Achilles heels.  And add Myles' illness and  subsequent lingering affects of COVID....boy, Woods was pretty much screwed.  We went into the season knowing that the offense was going to have to outscore the opponents in shootouts.  Woods didn't show me that he shouldn't be allowed to get a shot with some actual good players.  I mean, he wasn't playing D with 10 guys and a goalie or anything.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2021 at 6:24 PM, Tour2ma said:

Problem is as tia pointed out Joe did adapt... there were simply limits to how much the man could do.

As for pressure vs. laying back...

Couple weeks ago I read an article that our 2020 D was 10 times more likely to yield points when rushing more than four. It was one of those "advanced stat" thangs.

You can be sure our analytics boys had Joe fully informed of this.

So when your choices are give up points grudgingly by laying back or quickly by blitzing... you choose the former... always... giving your opponent more opportunities to aid your cause in derailing their drive.

I don’t think Joe gets too creative with his pressures.  Sending Sendejo telegraphed off the edge isn’t getting cute.  He does rely on front 4 winning battles upfront.  Great if that happens most sane coordinators would do just that if it could work consistently...when it doesn’t the adjustment has to be made.   That wasn’t the case last year.

We had too many WTF moments last year on that side of the ball.

The Raider game.  That was like watching an overmatched HS football team.  Were the Raiders really that much stronger and faster than the Browns. I believe we stayed in a base defense when no one could throw.  The second half brought back 1999-2000 memories. 

The Jax game.  We gave Mike Glennon another opportunity this coming season.  We didn’t dial up any pressure.  I recall the analyst calling us out that game for our lack of game plan on that side.  I remember that game fondly I taught my 1 year old how to scream at a TV- not too proud about it. 

Baltimore- please Joe just throw away anything you thought about how to defend Lamar.  We started a thread in here we actually had great ideas and good principles in mind.  

The old game threads kind of tell the story. 

He deserves another shot.  I think we are forgetting a tad that While Joe wasn’t set-up last year he didn’t seem to have too many answers either. 

I feel better though I could point to a dozen things in any given season but I think last year I had boiled down to Mack Wilson, our kicking game, Joe Woods, occasionally our Charmin soft secondary injury reports.  Only four things in an overall great year