THE BROWNS BOARD

The Gipper Rest in Peace

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

That's sad.  I had another friend some years back who complained to his wife about a upset stomach and told her he was going to lay in bed for a while.  She went to get him for something about 40 minutes later and he was dead in bed.  He was even younger than Tom, maybe 55.

I think a lot of us guys tend to ignore, or write off some health things we probably need not ignore.  I am not saying Tom did that in this case, sometimes it is what it is,  but I think we all know it is easy to do.

1000%

I lost my dad in 2014. He was 63. He died of colo-rectal cancer and his gastro doctor was livid. If he had just gone for his routine colonoscopy they would have caught it and he would still be alive. The doctor said he could have had it brewing for 10 years. They are absolutely painless and completely routine. I think a lot of this also stems from our absolutely piss poor health care system. Great doctors, horrid system. People forgo care because they don't want to bankrupt themselves and then they die and no one seems to bat an eye for the actual reason why. 

I still can't believe gipper is gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I've had his goofy ass on ignore for a while and I feel bad now.

On the other hand...

Had you done so earlier he might still be alive... :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I lost my dad in 2014. He was 63. He died of colo-rectal cancer...

Same thing that took my Dad...

... but insurance was a non-issue as he was older and under Medicare.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Same thing that took my Dad...

... but insurance was a non-issue as he was older and under Medicare.

My dad had great insurance. He was just being stubborn and then got to the point I assume that he was afraid of what it may be and then just never went. However A LOT of people bypass care because they don't want to be underwater. It's easier to die. Our country is broken. Frankly I believe we live in a failed state now. We have a massssssssssive empathy problem. 

3 hours ago, Vagitron said:

My dad had great insurance. He was just being stubborn and then got to the point I assume that he was afraid of what it may be and then just never went. However A LOT of people bypass care because they don't want to be underwater. It's easier to die. Our country is broken. Frankly I believe we live in a failed state now. We have a massssssssssive empathy problem. 

Alright, don't start drawing us in, you're still the Evil Empire.

Cool dog, though.

Z

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Alright, don't start drawing us in, you're still the Evil Empire.

Cool dog, though.

Z

I've already got your ass zombo. There is no getting away now. Thanks on the dog. His name is Utah after Johnny Utah from the not horrible, blasphemous remake. My kids name is Bodhi. 👀

• Haha 1

Gipper... 😥 

Love ya bro. Give Otto a hug from us.

I hate that you won't be here to celebrate with us when we win the Superbowl this year. 

This one's for the Gipper. You will be missed.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I've already got your ass zombo. There is no getting away now. Thanks on the dog. His name is Utah after Johnny Utah from the not horrible, blasphemous remake. My kids name is Bodhi. 👀

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I think that is a big pat of it.  At some point we think/know something isn't right but for any number of reasons we just don't want to face it. Kind of like driving around with your wife and she wonders what that noise is and we tell her not to worry about it, as we turn up the volume on the radio..

21 hours ago, Vagitron said:

My dad had great insurance. He was just being stubborn and then got to the point I assume that he was afraid of what it may be and then just never went. However A LOT of people bypass care because they don't want to be underwater. It's easier to die.

Not debating the eco impact of the healthcare decisions of many. It's all too real.

Different, non-economic dynamic with my Dad, but same bottom line.

Dad was nearly killed in a head-on collision with a drunk driver who crossed the center-line of  Ridgewood Drive's, "dead-man's curve" in Parma (DieHard and other homies will know of where I speak). The curve was posted roadside as a "High Accident Area" for as long as I can remember. Anyway...

He was life-flighted from the local, Parma General Hospital and spent about a month in another ICU. Blood tests' elevated white blood cell counts during his hospital stay indicated the presence of cancer, but that info was secondary to his most threatening conditions and ultimately were "forgotten" for a couple years.

By the time the results resurfaced in a follow-up visit both Mom and Dad had entered into this strange dynamic of not wanting to outlive the other. Part of Dad's plan was ignoring the finally diagnosed cancer.

Mom survived him by over 20 years... so I guess Dad won.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not debating the eco impact of the healthcare decisions of many. It's all too real.

Different, non-economic dynamic with my Dad, but same bottom line.

Dad was nearly killed in a head-on collision with a drunk driver who crossed the center-line of  Ridgewood Drive's, "dead-man's curve" in Parma (DieHard and other homies will know of where I speak). The curve was posted roadside as a "High Accident Area" for as long as I can remember. Anyway...

He was life-flighted from the local, Parma General Hospital and spent about a month in another ICU. Blood tests' elevated white blood cell counts during his hospital stay indicated the presence of cancer, but that info was secondary to his most threatening conditions and ultimately were "forgotten" for a couple years.

By the time the results resurfaced in a follow-up visit both Mom and Dad had entered into this strange dynamic of not wanting to outlive the other. Part of Dad's plan was ignoring the finally diagnosed cancer.

Mom survived him by over 20 years... so I guess Dad won.

Geez. Im sorry, that sounds really rough. 

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Utah for the dog? OK, I guess...

... but Bodhi-tron for a kid???

That's just weird...

Lol his name is just Bodhi. Bodhitron is his psn name. How the hell did that come up for you? Or did my phone auto fill that and I didn't realize it? 

Edit: Ahhhh I missed the joke, you cheeky fuck. Lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, miktoxic said:

omg. so sorry to hear this.😔

another prayer to add to the list above🙏

You've been gone so long I figured you were a greeter. ☁️🙋‍♂️

Good to see you. Thanks again for the T-shirt. Still use it for Spring and Fall yard work since it has a few holes and seam rips. But it gets an occasional drive-by honk and thumbs up.😁

• Like 1

yeah had to pull myself out of the bottle or years ago i’d have met my end.

we’re supposed to be strong and face our fears.. had a dear friend just passed in feb. had some kind of simple thing wrong with her and turned into staph infection and organs failed within 3 days. sad sad stuff. 

now health is number one priority. at 59 best shape of my life. workout and diet. no drink.no smoke. dating 45 year old MILF. life is good!!✌️✌️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, miktoxic said:

we’re supposed to be strong and face our fears.. had a dear friend just passed in feb. had some kind of simple thing wrong with her and turned into staph infection and organs failed within 3 days. sad sad stuff. 

now health is number one priority. at 59 best shape of my life. workout and diet. no drink.no smoke. dating 45 year old MILF. life is good!!✌️✌️

I'm so glad to hear this. I still remember the bad feeling that left me with your last post. It is great to know that you could make a 180 turn in your life. Giving up drinking is a huge step, you should be proud. Stay strong!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, miktoxic said:

omg. so sorry to hear this.😔

another prayer to add to the list above🙏

Hey mik glad to see you back around here.  I remember you from when I was first on this board in 2016.

Hope to see you around again, mjp. Michael.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, miktoxic said:

Lot of good stuff in there along with the loss. Glad you're doing it right my friend.👍

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Thanks again for the T-shirt.

... or shirts in my case.

Still rockin' The London Broil amongst others.

Glad to read things are looking up in Toxicville, NY.

Yes, life can be very good indeed... and now the Browns promise to provide added lift.

God knows they been a drag more than long enough.

Don't be a stranger...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, miktoxic said:

HELL YEA!!!!! Welcome back brother, and don't be a stranger. 

• Upvote 1

I have fought with myself for days whether or not to post this, and I in no way want to disrespect Gip's goodbye thread and if a mod thinks I have, please delete this as that is not my intention.

Those that know me here probably know the passion I have for health, food and fitness actually surpasses my passion for the Browns - and by a lot. Hearing Gip's story along with some others I just want to say something.

It doesn't matter your age, current physical limitations, current weight or any other issues you may have, it is NEVER too late to make a change.... You just have to be the one to do it.

Small changes in your diet will start to add up, and when combined with some exercise like a 7, 13, 27, 56 (whatever you can do) minute walk 4-5 days a week, and the results will be proven both on a scale and on your blood test results. (( Ask your Dr. to include a C-Reactive Protein (CRP) result in your blood work and educate yourself what the test is for and what the result means - It is literally life or death ))

I'm not preaching to go vegan or vegetarian, I'm just preaching for you to save your own life.... Gip should've had many more years on this planet before bowing out. Put yourself #1 for a change and tell those around you what you are doing, and you'll be surprised at the support you will receive.

Don't look for excuses on what you can't do, and instead, look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself what you CAN do.... IT'S NEVER TOO LATE - until that day it finally is. 😔 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, miktoxic said:

Old Man Drinking GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

14 hours ago, miktoxic said:

Great to hear, I also still have my London shirt that @Tour2ma kindly brought over when the Browns were playing in London!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Great to hear, I also still have my London shirt that @Tour2ma kindly brought over when the Browns were playing in London!

I do too and I wear it for every Sunday game... Thursday and Monday games get my Browns Board shirt.

^ I like to think that's why we are winning. You are all welcome. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

I have fought with myself for days whether or not to post this, and I in no way want to disrespect Gip's goodbye thread and if a mod thinks I have, please delete this as that is not my intention.

Those that know me here probably know the passion I have for health, food and fitness actually surpasses my passion for the Browns - and by a lot. Hearing Gip's story along with some others I just want to say something.

It doesn't matter your age, current physical limitations, current weight or any other issues you may have, it is NEVER too late to make a change.... You just have to be the one to do it.

Small changes in your diet will start to add up, and when combined with some exercise like a 7, 13, 27, 56 (whatever you can do) minute walk 4-5 days a week, and the results will be proven both on a scale and on your blood test results. (( Ask your Dr. to include a C-Reactive Protein (CRP) result in your blood work and educate yourself what the test is for and what the result means - It is literally life or death ))

I'm not preaching to go vegan or vegetarian, I'm just preaching for you to save your own life.... Gip should've had many more years on this planet before bowing out. Put yourself #1 for a change and tell those around you what you are doing, and you'll be surprised at the support you will receive.

Don't look for excuses on what you can't do, and instead, look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself what you CAN do.... IT'S NEVER TOO LATE - until that day it finally is. 😔 

After all that then you must supplement with Betaforce!!🏋️‍♂️😍

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2021 at 6:48 AM, miktoxic said:

good to see ya sorry it has to be in this topic tho 

oh hey i still wear that tee shirt u sent me

• Like 1