THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns make roster moves

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

At 6'3", 235 lbs., Jackson is almost exclusively a receiving TE. He had a good game against us last year (3 rec., 36 yards) but is on the wrong side of 30 and unlikely to make the team.

Hilliard actually started the Colts' first preseason game but was responsible for Peyton Manning getting sacked twice. That got him cut. At 24, he's more of a project and a possible candidate for the practice squad.

Tra Battle is a special teams guy. He'll have to do something really special to make the team.

Guest Aloysius
Crazy how fast Foster fell out of this league.

Well, he was a boom or bust pick. Looked like a boom for a year or two, then badly busted.

His pass blocking against the Lions was just awful. I'm not surprised Mangini & Ko decided to cut him.

Well, he was a boom or bust pick. Looked like a boom for a year or two, then badly busted.

His pass blocking against the Lions was just awful. I'm not surprised Mangini & Ko decided to cut him.

You were right about him Alo when some guys were boning up for him. He was godawful.

You were right about him Alo when some guys were boning up for him. He was godawful.

Guilty! I gotta admit I was one that thought we might have gotten away with grand theft. Evidently, the security cameras were on and we didn't get away with squat. Seriously though, it didn't seem like it was THAT long ago when he was a REALLY solid starter for Denver.

- Tom F.

I agree...and why I called him a bum 2 months ago.

Guest Aloysius
Purcell- yet another low round pick to the scrap heap. We have to start doing way better in that area.

Remember Desmond Bishop, the linebacker who was all over the field in the first preseason game? After the '07 draft, Phil Savage hinted that Bishop and kicker Mason Crosby were his top two targets in the 6th round. Unfortunately, Green Bay took both of them right before us. Savage then traded down & took Purcell.

If we'd gotten Bishop, it would have solidified what was already a very good draft:

• Round 1: Joe Thomas
  • Round 1: Brady Quinn
  • Round 2: Eric Wright
  • Round 5: Brandon McDonald
  • Round 6: Melila Purcell Desmond Bishop
  • Round 7: Chase Pittman or Syndric Steptoe (without the trade down, we'd only have one pick here)
We probably wouldn't have drafted Beau Bell, which would have saved us an '08 5th round pick (used to trade up to get him) and an '09 3rd round pick (used to buy back our original 4th round pick and draft Martin Rucker).

Just goes to show you how much you can save when you get a hit in the later rounds. And we came very close to having one in Bishop.

Remember Desmond Bishop, the linebacker who was all over the field in the first preseason game? After the '07 draft, Phil Savage hinted that Bishop and kicker Mason Crosby were his top two targets in the 6th round. Unfortunately, Green Bay took both of them right before us. Savage then traded down & took Purcell.

If we'd gotten Bishop, it would have solidified what was already a very good draft:

• Round 1: Joe Thomas
  • Round 1: Brady Quinn
  • Round 2: Eric Wright
  • Round 5: Brandon McDonald
  • Round 6: Melila Purcell Desmond Bishop
  • Round 7: Chase Pittman or Syndric Steptoe (without the trade down, we'd only have one pick here)
We probably wouldn't have drafted Beau Bell, which would have saved us an '08 5th round pick (used to trade up to get him) and an '09 3rd round pick (used to buy back our original 4th round pick and draft Martin Rucker).

Just goes to show you how much you can save when you get a hit in the later rounds. And we came very close to having one in Bishop.

Did I hear somewhere that Beau Bell has been released?

Guest Aloysius
Did I hear somewhere that Beau Bell has been released?

I don't think so.

But the Browns added another d-lineman:

Cleveland Browns welcome back a defensive lineman (not Shaun Smith)

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns added a defensive lineman and subtracted a receiver in their daily transaction.

Signed was defensive end Brian Schaefering, who spent the 2008 training camp with the Browns. Released was receiver Paul Raymond.

When practice began today, nose tackle Shaun Rogers, running back Jerome Harrison and linebacker David Bowens remained out of drills. They worked with trainers. Rogers hit the blocking sled with a trainer watching.

None of the players appeared in the first two preseason games.

Purcell- yet another low round pick to the scrap heap. We have to start doing way better in that area.

Brandon McDonald, Alex Hall, James Davis, Coye Francies? I think we've done a pretty good job at that the last few years. Theres a reason they are picked that low. 1 hit every 2 or 3 years is a success, IMO.

Brandon McDonald, Alex Hall, James Davis, Coye Francies? I think we've done a pretty good job at that the last few years. Theres a reason they are picked that low. 1 hit every 2 or 3 years is a success, IMO.

Also Vickers and Harrison plus a few UDFAs starting with Cribbs

Once against "D'Q", you leave yourself open. What have those players done, that you have listed? Nothing. Zilch. Instead of patting the Browns on the back, how about a different course: Let them succeed first.

My bet is at max, 2 of those guys ever make it.

Once against "D'Q", you leave yourself open. What have those players done, that you have listed? Nothing. Zilch. Instead of patting the Browns on the back, how about a different course: Let them succeed first.

My bet is at max, 2 of those guys ever make it.

What have they "done". Well a lot more than this, but heres something the non-rookies have done.

Harrison- Bills TD

Cribbs- Need I say more?

Vickers- Pro Bowl Alternate

B-Mac- Completely shut down the best WR of that season, Andre Johnson, in his first game.

Hall-2 sacks in 2 starts before getting rotated out due to RAC's mancrush on Willie McGinest

Like I said, they've done more, but thats more than "zilch"

Now my turn. How many Browns players do you like?

Archived