THE BROWNS BOARD

cap casualties

EastSideDawg

over the next year or so there are alot of players that the browns could move on from.  there simply isnt enough money to go around. who do you think the browns keep and who will they let go.

players in question

Mayfield - they will sign him just a matter of how much $$

Ward- i think they should try and sign him but if he gets too expensive is it worth it ?

Ronnie harrison- the browns have so many young safety's i think he is gone after this year

Wyatt Teller- Gone for sure he will be very expensive and with 3 backup starting caliber guards on the roster just plug another one in

Hooper- i would prefer they move on he is expensive and Njoku is better with higher upside.

Njoku- i think they get a new deal for TE1 moving forward

Jarvis/ OBJ -- you will only be able to keep one OBJ's contract is better and its hard to say how much jarvis will want to be re-upped

Mayfield - Given

Ward - Given

Harrison - I bet he's traded this season for draft picks.. Don't look now but our backup safeties [Harrison/Delpit] would start on half the teams in the league.  Delpit now, of course, is only a starter on the All-Injury team.

Teller - Depends how Callahan thinks the backups are developing. This will be a tough conversation because if they keep >8 OL on the 54 then letting Teller walk is a given.

Hooper - Cut on 6/1/2022 when his dead on the 2022 books is only 3.75.

Njoku - Resigned. Much more athletic, better blocker than Hooper in 20.  Also big plans for Carlson in 2021.

Jarvis/OBJ - OBJ resigned at less per year; DPJ starts opposite him. My .02 suggests they'll trade Jarvis sooner rather than later.

34 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Mayfield - Given

Ward - Given

Harrison - I bet he's traded this season for draft picks.. Don't look now but our backup safeties [Harrison/Delpit] would start on half the teams in the league.  Delpit now, of course, is only a starter on the All-Injury team.

Teller - Depends how Callahan thinks the backups are developing. This will be a tough conversation because if they keep >8 OL on the 54 then letting Teller walk is a given.

Hooper - Cut on 6/1/2022 when his dead on the 2022 books is only 3.75.

Njoku - Resigned. Much more athletic, better blocker than Hooper in 20.  Also big plans for Carlson in 2021.

Jarvis/OBJ - OBJ resigned at less per year; DPJ starts opposite him. My .02 suggests they'll trade Jarvis sooner rather than later.

I can’t argue with a whole lot of what is posted here.  

I understand they are talking to Ward now, but I think his asking price if it is Top 3 Corner type money - I don’t know if that is a given as he’s managed to play in only 75% of the games each of his first three years. But I’ll still say very likely. 

I actually flip your OBJ / Jarvis scenario.  Slot WRs usually age better. Stef raves about his football intelligence too. 

Another question for this thread- does anyone get Franchise Tagged this coming offseason? 

44 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I can’t argue with a whole lot of what is posted here.  

I understand they are talking to Ward now, but I think his asking price if it is Top 3 Corner type money - I don’t know if that is a given as he’s managed to play in only 75% of the games each of his first three years. But I’ll still say very likely. 

I actually flip your OBJ / Jarvis scenario.  Slot WRs usually age better. Stef raves about his football intelligence too. 

Another question for this thread- does anyone get Franchise Tagged this coming offseason? 

it will be interesting how berry handles these situations.   Franchise baker?   cousins 2.0 situation ?  draft another QB next year as Insurance? 

28 minutes ago, EastSideDawg said:

it will be interesting how berry handles these situations.   Franchise baker?   cousins 2.0 situation ?  draft another QB next year as Insurance? 

I think Baker is aiming for Elite money and he hasn’t shown that yet so I’m waiting on him.  I’d say get us to the SB and play well.  You sign your check.  

if he performs on par with how he performed this past season I think it’s Wilson/Allen type money this next offseason and the Browns may feel they can eventually win it all with Baker at some other point so paying him 35-40M a year is fine.  

If he takes a step back you start to look at 2022 draft for the next guy and you put the heat on Baker to play well next season.

I feel differently about Ward I think he’s shown that he’s one of the best but I have doubts if he can hold up. 

I franchise Ward. I think he is a great corner he would leave a huge void as I’m not convinced Greedy is good enough and can stay healthy either,  but I think we need Ward to prove he can stay healthy before he gets Top CB dollars over an extended period of time.   If he can consistently hold up health wise the next 2-3 years.  You pay him throughout his peak and prime ages 26-30.

I honestly don't know how we could possibly afford Teller. If we DO pay Teller, then we'll move on from Bitonio because of the age difference. An NFL team simply can't pay all 5 OL big bucks...it doesn't happen. Do I want to keep everyone? Hell yes I do. But it's not reality. 

We'll keep either Hooper or Njoku...it depends on who plays well, but not both. We are very big on Bryant and he's on a rookie deal. Njoku could easily stay here for another contract because he likes Baker and the town. He's totally switched gears and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Njoku stayed and Hooper was out. That being said, don't be surprised to see Hooper either. He could easily have a monster year if he and Baker sync up. 

OBJ and Jarvis....I don't even like talking about this. Obviously I know Jarvis is getting way overpaid, but I can't stomach not having him. I flat out love that man, and he came here with a great attitude when we SUCKED. He put up with the coaching debacles and whatever else and never said anything. He's beyond tough and he balls out. Unless he restructures...he's gone and I hate it. 

OBJ is VERY difficult to predict and much of his future is tied to the development of DPJ. If management feels like DPJ can be a star, OBJ will be moved. Now, I'll NOT saying DPJ will be OBJ, so don't yell at me. But if we can get 75% of OBJ for 10% of the price...management will do it. HOWEVER, OBJ is VERY special. If he goes nuts this year and stays healthy, you can't trade him, no matter what. Game breakers are just too rare and a true deep threat can break the heart of a defense (Cowboys game). 

Man, I can't wait for this season. 

1) Harris looks like one of the goners from OL. Betting there will be only 8OL rostered.  Earlier this summer I hoped he'd be ready to take over in 2022.. now, not so much.

2) LeCounte and Green make the roster.. the bets on them are paying off, they're playing way too good. Both had the highest PFF grades at S/CB respectively for us on Saturday.  As luck would have it, Woods wants to play 5 DB's.

3) Davis over Hodge at WR.  Maybe not, but a million here, a million there and someone doesn't leave as a FA. [davis 780k, hodge 2.13]

4) Keep OBJ long-term, likely at a lower level than this&next year.  Jarvis is a great guy and was a great WR [fringe HOF], but personality doesn't beat press man in 2022.  Contracts suggest there's not a debate regarding 2021 - both rostered.

Entspannen Descansando GIF - Entspannen Descansando Relax GIFs     fully locked into the 2021 season starting with Chiefs ... but, This did happen...

Myles Garrett/ Nick Chubb got paid...  Earned!

Baker/ Ward should get paid within the top 10 of their position played.. Browns WR1/WR2/JJ3/Hill/Hunt & most our core players including OL are under contract until the 2023* season.. 

17 games of 2021 yet to be played.. Lot's can happen...Our mostly rental defense/with talented mixed utes 😎.. has to prove it's worth along with Wyatt Teller's.. no harm done here yet..

Enjoy the 2021 season ! Berry & Depo seem fairly sharp with pencils with erasers...

Go Browns !